• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Crunchyroll needs to fucking announce some shit because man is their selection awful this season.

Get used to it. People are about to find out what happens when an anime only service, run by people who only do business in anime, has to compete with larger mainstream video streaming services who do business with all the major studios, when these services take an interest in anime. Guess where the real money is made. :p

Quasar

Get used to it. People are about to find out what happens when an anime only service, run by people who only do business in anime, has to compete with larger mainstream video streaming services who do business with all the major studios, when these services take an interest in anime. Guess where the real money is made. :p

Well normally I'd expect them to just grab mainstream shonen jump type stuff. Of course Amazon disrupted that idea by making its first move grabbing Noitamina, the last thing I would have expected given its niche status.

I do actually wonder though if this is just going to cause a backlash, with the a portion of traditional anime fans just returning to fansubs.

duckroll

Well normally I'd expect them to just grab mainstream shonen jump type stuff. Of course Amazon disrupted that idea by making its first move grabbing Noitamina, the last thing I would have expected given its niche status.

It's the complete opposite really. Video services as a business is a lot more like cable channels than network television. The big mainstream stuff they want would be movie blockbusters from movie studios, while their aim in expanding outreach in original and foreign content is entirely prestige based. We're talking about the same Amazon which has the distribution rights for Park Chan Wook's Handmaiden.

Negator

All its really doing is inconveniencing me if you catch my drift WINK WINK TEEHEE

duckroll

I do actually wonder though if this is just going to cause a backlash, with the a portion of traditional anime fans just returning to fansubs.

Well, Amazon and Netflix are now pumping money into anime which directly goes into funding more interesting projects. If they find that there's no money in it, and they stop, then there's just less money going into anime again and the industry will continue to double and triple down on generic content that sells to deprived otakus.

So yeah, if people want to pirate, they're free to. When there's no good anime we can all stop wasting our time on a bad hobby and watch meaningful shows like Game of Thrones, Return to the Game of Thrones, and History behind the Game of Thrones instead.

I guess big thing people should probably be realizing is it's not exclusive to anime too. Streaming is going the way of traditional television where more and more content is being walled off to different services.

Like how Warner Bros. is pulling off their content from Netflix because they plan to launch their own exclusive streaming service.

It was only an inevitability that eventually the same would happen with anime.

Well, Amazon and Netflix are now pumping money into anime which directly goes into funding more interesting projects. If they find that there's no money in it, and they stop, then there's just less money going into anime again and the industry will continue to double and triple down on generic content that sells to deprived otakus.

So yeah, if people want to pirate, they're free to. When there's no good anime we can all stop wasting our time on a bad hobby and watch meaningful shows like Game of Thrones, Return to the Game of Thrones, and History behind the Game of Thrones instead.

Don't forget that spinoff of Robert's Rebellion!

Quasar

I guess big thing people should probably be realizing is it's not exclusive to anime too. Streaming is going the way of traditional television where more and more content is being walled off to different services.

Like how Warner Bros. is pulling off their content from Netflix because they plan to launch their own exclusive streaming service.

I did kind of hope it would be less fractured. More like videogames or something. I guess at least the aren't all making their own streaming boxes just for their content.

Qurupeke

So you'll keep watching?

Yuri is an endangered genre and I have to watch it before it goes extinct. Even if it's trashy.

Thus, the Oreimo Cinematic Universe will expand once more.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I enjoy the Aho Girl manga for what it is, but seriously you don't understand. The depths of her stupidity go way, way beyond what you're probably imagining in your head. Even considering this is supposed to be an exaggerated comedy it wraps around from funny to downright distressing at points.
Please. You can keep trying to put me off, but it won't work.

bananas are the worst, they overpower the flavor of everything they're mixed with.
Urgh. Banana haters are the worst. I have a friend who hates them, so I gave them a Birthday card in the shape of one. It's what they deserve.

I kind of want to watch that Quiz anime just to hear how bad her voice is going by what I'm reading.
I watched it for the same reason. Yeah it's kinda bad, rather flat, but I doubt it'll kill the show.

----------------------------

Regarding that NTR show. Here's what I don't get. Female getting suckered in having a boyfriend I understand, she's confused. The other one however makes no sense. Perhaps it's answered in episode one but I really can't be arsed to waste my time on it.

Watched until the OP and realised I can't even watch this as a joke. Give me more Aho Girl.

TrueBlue

I remember takk about the Yuri NTR show a while back, and how one of the lead's boyfriends was the fan favourite and most likeable character.

I think that speaks volumes really. Plus the synopsis doesn't give me the impression that it can pull off anything close to what Scum's Wish did in terms of deconstruction.

It's frustrating really. I'm all for more yuri, but between this and Citrus - which I read a decent portion of a few years ago - what's there doesn't seem to be striking the right notes, at least not for me.

ibyea

Banned

They want to kill my wallet. :(

Gorlak

Banned
Recommendation time :)

I'm looking for something I haven't seen, which is good and fits my taste!

I've seen:
HUNTER X HUNTER
Haikyuu!!
Boku No Hero Academia
Attack on Titan
Dragon Ball Super (yes, the nostalgia is strong with this one)
One Punch Man
Tokyo Ghoul (only S1 is good)
Parasyte
Steins;Gate
Gurren Lagann
Evangelion
Mob Psycho 100
Ping Pong
Berserk (97 and '16, yes I endure the current berserk anime because I really like the story)

I liked all of the above! In particular HxH and Haikyuu stand out, currently Boku no Hero und Shingeki no Kyojin are great as well.

The following were from average to bad, some had nice ideas, but I wouldn't recommend them or anything:

Psycho-Pass (only S1,
Drifters (I think too many personalities will make my interest fade)
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (sth. is missing)
Blood Blockade Battlefront (okay)
Fate/Zero (meh)
Gundam Mobile Suit Iron Blooded Orphans (dropped it after S1)

On the one hand I'd very much like a series like Tokyo Ghoul and Parasyte (or psycho-pass for that matter) with different lifeforms having to get along and various reasonable positions being displayed. In other words not your usual black and white, good vs evil.
On the other hand I very much like the good vs evil scenarios as well, which appear in action packed shounen like MHA, OPM, Mob or AoT.

I will not watch One Piece, I tried getting into it again (after following back in the days a bit), but something doesn't click after 30 ep or so, seems to be the scenario and sillyness of charaters I can't stand. Same goes for Naruto (zero interest) and Fullmetal Alchemist (tried 5 episodes of Brotherhood, the humour was killing me, no go)

I was already looking for new stuff, but I'm unsure.

Space Brothers seems to be interesting and something completely different than the rest but I couldn't get into it yet.

While writing I thought of Gantz, yes, the one from ages back with the open end, I'd say it's similiar to the topics of Parasyte/TG. Was really interesting and while not perfect, definitely entertaining.

What do you think of Rainbow? Would you recommend it? I was also thinking of Monster, but don't know what kind of anime this is going to be. Any words on it are welcomed. On paper Ghost in the Shell SAC should suit my taste, but everytime I'm watching an episode of it I tend to get bored and do something next to it and stop focusing on the show.
Ah and I'm probably watching Seriel Experiments Lain next.

Help me Anime-Gaf! I'm open for all kinds of recommendations :)

Try Death Note, Cowboy Bebop, and Black Lagoon if you haven't watched them yet.

I'll also say give Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood another chance, it gets darker and more serious later.

I haven't watched Haikyuu yet but since you like it I'll suggest Kuroko's Basketball.

Other recommendation: Kill La Kill, Assassination Classroom, Akame Ga Kill, Re:Zero. Don't know if you'll like them but give them a shot, to see if they click.

Recommendation time :)

I'm looking for something I haven't seen, which is good and fits my taste!

I've seen:
HUNTER X HUNTER
Haikyuu!!
Boku No Hero Academia
Attack on Titan
Dragon Ball Super (yes, the nostalgia is strong with this one)
One Punch Man
Tokyo Ghoul (only S1 is good)
Parasyte
Steins;Gate
Gurren Lagann
Evangelion
Mob Psycho 100
Ping Pong
Berserk (97 and '16, yes I endure the current berserk anime because I really like the story)

I liked all of the above! In particular HxH and Haikyuu stand out, currently Boku no Hero und Shingeki no Kyojin are great as well.

The following were from average to bad, some had nice ideas, but I wouldn't recommend them or anything:

Psycho-Pass (only S1,
Drifters (I think too many personalities will make my interest fade)
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (sth. is missing)
Blood Blockade Battlefront (okay)
Fate/Zero (meh)
Gundam Mobile Suit Iron Blooded Orphans (dropped it after S1)

On the one hand I'd very much like a series like Tokyo Ghoul and Parasyte (or psycho-pass for that matter) with different lifeforms having to get along and various reasonable positions being displayed. In other words not your usual black and white, good vs evil.
On the other hand I very much like the good vs evil scenarios as well, which appear in action packed shounen like MHA, OPM, Mob or AoT.

I will not watch One Piece, I tried getting into it again (after following back in the days a bit), but something doesn't click after 30 ep or so, seems to be the scenario and sillyness of charaters I can't stand. Same goes for Naruto (zero interest) and Fullmetal Alchemist (tried 5 episodes of Brotherhood, the humour was killing me, no go)

I was already looking for new stuff, but I'm unsure.

Space Brothers seems to be interesting and something completely different than the rest but I couldn't get into it yet.

While writing I thought of Gantz, yes, the one from ages back with the open end, I'd say it's similiar to the topics of Parasyte/TG. Was really interesting and while not perfect, definitely entertaining.

What do you think of Rainbow? Would you recommend it? I was also thinking of Monster, but don't know what kind of anime this is going to be. Any words on it are welcomed. On paper Ghost in the Shell SAC should suit my taste, but everytime I'm watching an episode of it I tend to get bored and do something next to it and stop focusing on the show.
Ah and I'm probably watching Seriel Experiments Lain next.

God Eater
Guilty Crown
Glasslip
Free!
Hand Shakers
Hero Bank

Rainbow is awful, watch the superior Rainbow Days instead.

Hanasaku Iroha - Full Series

This has been an amazing ride full of memorable moments. The ending was great and consistent with the rest of the show.
It was pretty obvious that Enishi wasn't ready to take over the inn (as he had demonstrated numerous times) and his goofs in the last episodes allowed him to come to the same conclusion by himself. Sui struck a fair compromise by only temporary closing the Inn. Also, it was quite obvious that she sees Ohana as her true successor in a more distant future.
The show achieves a good balance between the drama and the more light hearted moments. The humour is great and often welcome to defuse the tension in the more dramatic moments. I was surprised by the sometimes quite explicit sexual references like
Nako's reaction after reading a passage in Tarou's erotic roman or Satsuki's congratulatory note at the wedding.

The cast of characters is amazing. Ohana is of course the biggest star, but I grew fonder of almost each character as the show went on. Especially Nako and her shyness, Takako and her English catch phrases (and throwing technique!) and Minko. Satsuki was fun too, but I felt that as a character she was a bit inconsistent and clumsily written like
with the harsh review of the Inn as a plot device to bring her back in Ohana's life
. The visuals are wonderful and the two opening sequences are pure unskippable magic. I think this is now my favorite ”slice of life" anime series, I'd probably rank it slightly above sound eupho.

Now I'm going to look for my next slice of life/romance/school life anime. I was thinking Tari Tari would be a good choice, as it's also made by P.A. Works. Some other stuff I have in my CC backlog: nagi no asukara, miss kobayashi, yuruyuri, tanaku-kun is always listless, food wars!, sweetness & lightning, white album 2, golden time, masamune kin's revenge, say I love you, my little monster, school days, love live sunshine, you and me. Any advice? I should add that I'm not sure I will like fantasy "non-realistic" elements and that the quality of the animation is important to me.

trejo

Aho Girl 01

Honestly, I find it interesting to see a number of people found this hilarious. You have a dude straight up punching and beating a girl 3/4 his size with a closed fist several times and no one around them seems to care or even find this disagreeable because she deserves it for being so stupid, I guess?

I just don't get it. I like physical comedy, I like Sugita and I like Aoi Yuuki so in theory I should like this but I really, really didn't. It just made me feel uncomfortable for some reason.

Now I’m going to look for my next slice of life/romance/school life anime. I was thinking Tari Tari would be a good choice, as it's also made by P.A. Works. Some other stuff I have in my CC backlog: nagi no asukara, miss kobayashi, yuruyuri, tanaku-kun is always listless, food wars!, sweetness & lightning, white album 2, golden time, masamune kin's revenge, say I love you, my little monster, school days, love live sunshine, you and me. Any advice?

Who recommended you this?

Aho Girl 01

Honestly, I find it interesting to see a number of people found this hilarious. You have a dude straight up punching and beating a girl 3/4 his size with a closed fist several times and no one around them seems to care or even find this disagreeable because she deserves it for being so stupid, I guess?

I just don't get it. I like physical comedy, I like Sugita and I like Aoi Yuuki so in theory I should like this but I really, really didn't. It just made me feel uncomfortable for some reason.

Well it's billion times more common that boys are beaten by girls for laughs (in both west and Japan). Do you feel uncomfortable in those situations?

Aho Girl 01

Its just the reversal of the typical stupid male MC and his tsundere female childhood friend who always punches him into orbit for being stupid/perverted.

I normally dislike the violent tsundere trope, except when the show itself is a pure comedy show like this. The only difference here is that the genders are reversed.

Aho Girl 01

I view it as akin to the old loony tunes comedy. It's slapstick and meant to be highly exaggerated and outrageous.

trejo

Well it's billion times more common that boys are beaten by girls for laughs (in both west and Japan). Do you feel uncomfortable in those situations?

Its just the reversal of the typical stupid male MC and his tsundere female childhood friend who always punches him into orbit for being stupid/perverted.

I normally dislike the violent tsundere trope, except when the show itself is a pure comedy show like this. The only difference here is that the genders are reversed.

I view it as akin to the old loony tunes comedy. It's slapstick and meant to be highly exaggerated and outrageous.

I sorta get your points. Tbh, the typical girl beating on boy trope has long since lost any comedic impact it may have had on me, if ever, to the point where it might elicit no more than an eye roll or at worst it almost doesn't register anymore when it occurs. In the case of Aho Girl though, seeing a man getting so brazenly physical with a woman makes me draw parallels to real life issues of domestic violence and physical abuse which totally takes me out of it and I suddenly find myself not being able to take it as a joke anymore. Call it a double standard if you will but at some point it stopped being amusing and started to feel a little disconcerting.

I sorta get your points. Tbh, the typical girl beating on boy trope has long since lost any comedic impact it may have had on me, if ever, to the point where it might elicit no more than an eye roll or at worst it almost doesn't register anymore when it occurs. In the case of Aho Girl though, seeing a man getting so brazenly physical with a woman makes me draw parallels to real life issues of domestic violence and physical abuse which totally takes me out of it and I suddenly find myself not being able to take it as a joke anymore. Call it a double standard if you will but at some point it stopped being amusing and started to feel a little disconcerting.

If that's the case I guess it's best to just avoid the series then. There's another comedy/romance anime airing this season already, Tsuredure Children, you could try that. Though I can think of one scene that might not be great if this is your take on Aho-Girl. There's no physical violence but I think you might take it a bit iffy.

Tonton

Carnival Phantasm 6-12

Lancer is a precious treasure that must be saved. At least Cu got a good deal in Grand Order. I don't know anything about Shiki, but he makes me think better of Shirou, which is something. I find it cute that Taiga and Illya had their own segment seeing how Taiga and Iri had their own segment in Zero. Definitely a fun series.
Huh I'm not remembering that from Zero
The Taiga Dojo segments are based on the segments with the same name you'd get when you reach a bad ending in Fate/Stay Night
They make getting all endings pretty fun

Sterok

Huh I'm not remembering that from Zero
The Taiga Dojo segments are based on the segments with the same name you'd get when you reach a bad ending in Fate/Stay Night
They make getting all endings pretty fun

Iri and young Taiga had their own series of shorts, the Einzbern Consultation Room. I think they came with the Zero BDs? That was fun side material.

Jarmel

Banned
Iri and young Taiga had their own series of shorts, the Einzbern Consultation Room. I think they came with the Zero BDs? That was fun side material.

It came after and was a play on the Taiga Dojo. One of the jokes was that Taiga learned from Iri and passed it on to Ilya.

Hanasaku Iroha - Full Series Now I’m going to look for my next slice of life/romance/school life anime. I was thinking Tari Tari would be a good choice, as it's also made by P.A. Works. Some other stuff I have in my CC backlog: nagi no asukara, miss kobayashi, yuruyuri, tanaku-kun is always listless, food wars!, sweetness & lightning, white album 2, golden time, masamune kin's revenge, say I love you, my little monster, school days, love live sunshine, you and me. Any advice? I should add that I’m not sure I will like fantasy "non-realistic" elements and that the quality of the animation is important to me.

I'd check out Silver Spoon if you haven't seen it. It's great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom