• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

Moral of the story; just watch Scum's Wish instead.

IMO, Scum's Wish was more about the sexual stuff characters did being more of a coping mechanism for the host of issues they all had, while here it's mostly being used to titillate the audience. There still isn't a large enough sample to extrapolate what the show intends to do with the characters' relationships yet, but the first episode makes me think it's gonna be pretty trashy.

I mean, so far one of the girls is basically into it because she can easily dominate the other, and the other's enough of a pushover that she's actually getting into it despite being forced, for crying out loud.

Cornbread78

Kakegurui ep.1
ESMdjQu.png
This is gonna get pretty intense, isn't it?

Interesting stuff, with promise. Lots of great reaction faces..

JulianImp

Seiren - up to #9
It seems I added it to my queue at the start of the season it aired in and I never got around to watching it until now, so I decided to give it a try.

The way all three arcs use the same characters while changing who the love interest is feels like a rather faithful adaptation of a generic romance VN, which is kind of weird and sort of crappy. The characters are pretty underdeveloped, and relationships feel pretty forced and anime-y, on top of the camera objectifying the girls with certain shots that feel out of place, even (or rather, especially) when used for comedy's sake.

...And all this reminds me that I'd rather watch a TWGOK anime adaptation than this kind of mediocre romcoms.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yuri NTR seemed as empty as Sakura Trick, except it's just more "risque" because of the whole cheating thing.

But if it just turns out like Scum's Wish where kissing another girl is just meant as a "bit of fun" before you "decide" to be straight, meh.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yuri NTR seemed as empty as Sakura Trick, except it's just more "risque" because of the whole cheating thing.

But if it just turns out like Scum's Wish where kissing another girl is just meant as a "bit of fun" before you "decide" to be straight, meh.
you could just watch utena already btw.

Kakegurui ep.1

This is gonna get pretty intense, isn't it?

Interesting stuff, with promise. Lots of great reaction faces..

I didn't feel it excelled at what it was trying to do, but it has a lot of promise and I hope it grows and develops more into something really interesting.

This first episode only solidified the concept.

KraytarJ

Convenience Store Boyfriends 1
This season's stock standard romance. It verges on having some real heart to it, but it's just too formulaic to really take off.

Szadek

Fresh Precure! - Ep. 12
For some reason this episode was about Wigs.
The villains tried to make people despair by giving them strange hair styless. One of them looked like cure white's...

At least the fight at the end was pretty good.

Noragami & Noragami Aragato, Completed - So in my run through of my Funimation queue, I finally got around to watching this series. I'm glad I watched both seasons back-to-back because I found the the pacing and payoff worked better this way. Yato is definitely one of the better leads I've seen in a series in recent years.

And this scene will always crack me up:

tumblr_nwhvivBFp61to6dkoo1_500.gif

Dive Ep. 1
Eh, not great. Art was pretty weak as someone else said. This is likely to the ugly duckling that never turns into a swan of the season.

Convenience Store Boyfriends Ep. 1
Terribly uninteresting. Wife and I had way more fun reading false subtext into the story and pretending the show was way darker than it really is.

Jarmel

Banned
To hear this complaint from you is rather worrying. You didn't even think that episode of Kado about the cube rolling was slow, so this show must be incredibly slow!

Pacing and tone is sort of laid back like Mushishi so I'm not sure that it'll bother other people like it does me.

Aho Girl 01

What a dummy. This could be fun, but will need to see how long before the jokes get old.

Also, didn't expect to hear an opening from angela in this kind of show, but I'll take it.

Porori arc would likley be the the pool arc that was already covered(when the Shogun's swimsuit almost always comes off, thus the Popori title)...so I'm going to guess filler content.

zulux21

Nope.

Not even going to click on the link.

This thing's mere existence infuriates me.

Leave the original Eureka Seven story alone.

it looks alright.
and to be fair the first half of eureka seven likely could easily be done in a 90 min movie without really losing anything of importance.

the second half though.....

Jarmel

Banned
So now that I'm home, I can talk a bit more about the FMP IV PV and how my reaction is a bit different after seeing it multiple times. I figure I should correct some things for the record. Also people can actually see the frames I'm talking about. First off, I was wrong about Kurtz's hair looking like Mio, from Keijo.
I think the color correction for that projector in LP3 (where Funimation's panel was) was off. The yellows look more normal than I remembered from the first night. The coloring looks more like Argevollen than anything to do with Keijo.
Some of the shots such as above look better than I thought, I again blame it on the projector. Mostly because it seemed more blown out than it really is. Not that the shot is still particularly good but it's less flat and has more shadows than I initially reported. I just wanted to clear that up.
These were the shots I was thinking of when I said the backgrounds look worse compared to TSR. The textures on the building look kind of low resolution and the books seem kind of generic in the background. I understand modern settings are hard to do but I was hoping for a bit more. There looks to be more CGI in the backgrounds and I'm not really that enthused about it.
This shot looked good though so hopefully the art director steps it up a bit. I'm hoping this isn't a scenario where the character art and mecha animation look great but the backgrounds are poor.
rbomrte.jpg
YHXpYCG.png

h4Z7lUP.jpg
mkm6orl.png

oN0Do5N.jpg
km8XvEy.png

TSR| FMP IV PV
Character art is about the same caliber as TSR. The hair designs are a bit softer and less angular. I like the redesigns except for Kyouko. RIP bae Kyouko. I have to see how the character animation holds up though. I skimmed through TSR and there is a LOT of great character animation. There was a good cut of Kaname shaking her head in the PV so maybe that might turn out ok.
I wasn't joking about that Arbalest shot.There's no way Xebec's mecha team can keep this level especially when it gets action heavy. Animators will die. That Arbalest shot is Unicorn tier. I'm wondering if that shot of Tessa and the Arbalest is CG though, it sort of looks like it. It'll probably be more apparent when it starts moving. I'm curious whether Nishii is going to save the 2D cuts for closeups and CG for the action scenes or just try and touch up everything with 2D and just use the CG for the underlying models. I want to believe but goddamn there's no way they could keep that level for a TV show.
STd9ajI.jpg
K8jCzMp.png

TSR OP| FMP IV PV
On a final note mecha-wise, the Tuatha is no longer embarrassing. It took three studios to finally get it right.
GWgSBxN.jpg
jiuujkq.png

Fafner Exodus| FMP IV PV
I guess they did have an UI shot in there. The color scheme looks like it's from the UI in Fafner and somewhat does look like Takashi Aoki. Aoki is almost certainly working on the show so that's no surprise, the big question is again whether he's director of photography.
It's amazing that I've seen a PV and I still don't know how this will turn out. It doesn't look as scrubby as I initially thought it did but I'm still worried about the background art.

In this corner of the world

Finally got round to seeing this. 3rd anime movie I've seen in the cinema this year and so far my favourite.

I absolutely love the use of sound it is a stand out point for me, they really did a stellar job of conveying the scenes. I pretty much loved all of the characters. The movie is a bit all over the place and that's one of it's real charm points. It felt like real life - full of odds and ends, resolutions which come when you least expect them, people popping in and out of your life, shuffling and adapting to the situation in front of you.

It's rather beautiful how unexpectedly melancholy it is. Many anime tv shows have this annoying whiplash between the emotional bits and the "funny" bits, but this was completely avoided here. Sadness is treated with respect but it never falls into a self-loathing depression - even when life is hard the small things make everything work it. And the happiness is always tempered by the realities of life, where nothing is gained without sacrifice.

The characters are not pure cardboard cut-outs either, since we see the depth of Suzu's thought process we are immunized from the annoying nature of her dozyness, and the other characters have enough depth to stand on their own. None are perfect, each are trying their best in the situation in front of them fighting against the anger and bitterness that naturally comes from the suffering they are forced to endure.

Only point that soured me was the shows complete unacknowledgement of Japan's aggressive actions in the war, where whist I appreciate it would be unlikely for Suzu to express them, it would've been good to overhear some talk to give context to the situation - otherwise the film contains this air of propaganda-lite which is hard to excuse.

9/10

It's amazing that I've seen a PV and I still don't know how this will turn out. It doesn't look as scrubby as I initially thought it did but I'm still worried about the background art.

I don't care about Full Metal Panic at this point, but I respect how in-depth you go into these things.

cj_iwakura

Could someone explain to me how the Bakemonogatari universe works? I have no clue where to start. Are the different shows unrelated?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Could someone explain to me how the Bakemonogatari universe works? I have no clue where to start. Are the different shows unrelated?
They're all part of "one universe". It's not some Fate nonsense, just a lot of vignettes that link together.

Everything is the same universe, they are all take place in the same world just over a year or so period. Now if your more asking about watching order that's a bit more complicated, you can either go Anime/Novel (only one major ordering difference between Anime/Novel) release order or you can go timeline order (which isn't recommended for various reasons).

They're all related, following a continuous cast of characters. (Although Katanagatari, despite being based on a novel by Nisio with a similar name, is not related to the Monogatari series.) You can watch the various entries of the anime in production order, starting with Bakemonogatari, except for the free-standing prequel, Kizumonogatari, which can be watched at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom