• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

New Game S2 12 END

DKwCZSmV4AAmCAt.jpg

Pitch perfect final episode with a moving conclusion on departures. Yes, this can feel just as brutal as this episode depicts, especially if it's someone who you look up to. They've really knocked it out of the park with this development.

This arc weaves in comfortably with the narrative it has been following since the beginning of the season on creative work - taking the opportunity, learning, teaching and moving on. Momiji and Naru's presence fill in the void that Kou leaves while also adding more in the process. The moment when Aoba mistakenly assumes Kou is still in the office when it was just the cat - ooof, that hurt. The loneliness was reverberating.

If it isn't already obvious, this was a pretty swell season. I can't even recall an episode that let me down.

zulux21

*checks out the amazon top anime sellers... sees the live action ghost in the shell and lion king in there.... sees one collection of fairy tail is really low rated... reads about it*

huh... how did I miss that funimation screwed up fairy tail collection 9 and actually shipped it with the episodes collection 10 would have lol.

Lain

Classroom of the Elite 12

This was half/half on disappointment/deliverance.
Disappointment because everything was done through useless flashbacks.
Deliverance because something, kinda, sorta, happened.

I wouldn't mind watching another season tho.

Branson

So Gundam Wing is finally coming out on Blu-Ray I just found out. I’ve been waiting forever it seems like for it to hit that format.

Classroom of the Elite 12

This was half/half on disappointment/deliverance.
Disappointment because everything was done through useless flashbacks.
Deliverance because something, kinda, sorta, happened.

I wouldn't mind watching another season tho.

This episode was better than the previous 2 or 3 though. I'll watch the 2nd season as well.

Laiza

Listening through the Made in Abyss soundtrack right now.

This really is a sublime work. I don't think there's any contender this year for the crown of 'Best anime OST' that can compete with it. Hell, it might be one of the best musical works of this year period!

I'm really looking forward to that hour-long final episode now. There's still several tracks that haven't been used in the series so far, so I'm definitely looking forward to hearing them used in-context.

Aside from "Underground River" and "Hanezeve Caradhina", which everyone has praised everywhere, standout tracks include:

"Those Everyday Feels" - the marimba track used during the NEP, the full thing is a minute and fifteen seconds long and I lack the vocabulary to properly describe what makes me enjoy it so much. It just has this wonderful catchy melody and a sense of progression that's quite apropos of the setting and plot.

"Gallantry and Recapitulation" - An intense string track that is, thus far, unused in the series and has a strong sense of activity to it. I fully expect this to be used in the final episode's climax at some point.

"Relinquish" and "Forces Beyond Control" - These two come as a pair IMO. Used in the most intense scenes with the greatest level of mortal danger for our protagonists, together they really helped sell the sense of despair one would expect from such dire scenarios.

"Tour the Abyss" - With nothing more but a simple piano backed by electronic noises and some very understated percussion, this track is a perfect accompaniment for the moments of greater mystery surrounding the Abyss.

"In the Blind" - With a strong violin accompanied by smooth, ethereal synths, this is definitely one of the more memorable tracks in the series. There is a palpable sense of relief once the latter half kicks in and the melody switches gears.

But really, the whole soundtrack is a good listen and one of the most interesting and unique works I've ever had the pleasure of absorbing. I hope Kevin Penkin gets plenty more work after this!

phaze

"other stuff"
A Sister's All You Need

The series follows Itsuki Hashima, an author whose life is complicated by deranged friends and colleagues, including an over-sexed fellow author / would-be lover and a sadistic tax accountant. The only stable person in Itsuki's life is his younger step-brother, Chihiro, but even Chihiro has a secret..."he" is actually a girl in disguise.

kumikoq7jn3.png

-------

Also an anime about watching anime ...

I don't even know what is starting next week. I'm just going to go typical and watch everything because I am insane.

Like I literally haven't bothered to look what is coming out.

Qurupeke

Winter has all the good shows, Autumn is just another season where you wait for the one after it.

Meanwhile, I thought Spring '17 was only sequels but Autumn seems even more full of them. Magus Bride better be good...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom