• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Tbh the last anime I enjoyed from KyoAni was Full Metal Panic. I haven't seen A Silent Voice, but I definitely know I would enjoy that because I liked the source material. I will admit that Hyouka was a well done show, but I found it meh.

I don't know why, but every anime made from them just has this similar aesthetic that I can't get behind. Also not everything they make is great especially their recent LN anime with the exception of Euphonium.
Violet is pretty different. At times it felt very Ghibli-ish.

Jarmel

Banned
In what way did it feel Ghibli-ish?

Visually it reminds me of typical KyoAni anime with its aesthetic.

There's this short opening segment that follows a letter as it flies essentially around town and it showcases the setting in a playful manner. Seems like something Miyazaki would do. Also there's an undercurrent of seriousness to the work, due to previous events from the war, that the show somewhat scrubs over but is still present. That's also something Miyazaki tends to do.

I'm not so much against an adaptation on principle, since the hook of the story is the high concept, not necessarily the cultural elements. Not saying that it has large chance of being worthwhile (or even made at all.)

For real though I would legit watch a Hollywood adaptation of Mazinger Z or Getter Robo.

I think the more action-heavy properties with less fan baggage have a better chance at being distinct enough from their source material, considering All You Need is Kill. Even a version of Parasyte could work in theory.

DKyaSAKUIAAOFFr.jpg

lmao

"We got our hands on a sick drug"

Wild Card

Quick question for you guys. Should I go back to Gamers!? I initailly decided to watch the show cuz of the title, I didn't really know about it's premise. I was excited to see all the attention a bunch of games were getting in the couple of episodes but I feel like that not the main point. Also, I kinda hate the main character, as well as him turning away the club that was extended to him to then immediately fuck off with another similar group. It's seems like a lot of caveats but should I give it another try?

Quasar

Quick question for you guys. Should I go back to Gamers!? I initailly decided to watch the show cuz of the title, I didn't really know about it's premise. I was excited to see all the attention a bunch of games were getting in the couple of episodes but I feel like that not the main point. Also, I kinda hate the main character, as well as him turning away the club that was extended to him to then immediately fuck off with another similar group. It's seems like a lot of caveats but should I give it another try?

Well gaming is just a vague backdrop it’s not the focus. It’s much more a relationship comedy.

That said it’s my AOTS.

Unit24

Just finished Re:Creators. Based on the reactions after I asked about it before, I was actually expecting much worse. I quite enjoyed it. There were a couple of loose ends that should have been further addressed, and things got kind of slow in the middle, but overall, that was a solid series.

I thought him turning away the club and the fallout from it was one of the more entertaining parts of the series. It sets up a very generic premise and subverts it. He's a "casual" gamer that just plays for fun or to look at cute girls and doesn't have the sort of competitive spirit that the club embodies.

The main reasons to watch is to see Tendou get continually BTFO and the giant flaming misunderstanding trainwreck that ensues. There's also some decent writing that shows a good amount of self-awareness

Classroom of the Elite 12

Boy this ended about exactly how I expected: The mary sue of an MC pulling some gambit out of his ass and then giving all the credit to the tsundere who still hesitates to thank him even though he pulled off a major coup and made the class think it was her doing. I'm starting to think that quoting Sartre and the like in the beginning of each episode doesn't actually indicate the intelligence of a show.

Mendrox

SAO Ordinal Scale

'It's been a while, maybe Reki Kawahara has improved' - Me, an idiot (2017)

This was dope though, which is all I really wanted.

So much potential, but it wasn't really that bad. Villain was interesting at first, but just got fucked after a 3 minute training montage. Soundtrack was sick and the last battle was cool too. SAO will never leave us.

Also obvious Sugu boob shots were hilarious.

Aiii

So not worth it
Why can't they just do a wider run of the anime movie instead? Premise wise though, this is one of the more adaptable story for hollywood. So maybe they will do okay?

No they won’t. You know they will completely strip the heart from it.

Take away the setting, the visuals, and the music and what is even left besides the basic premise?

I am sure J-Law will play a great hick country town 15-year-old girl.

Just checked Ordinal Scale's post-credits scene that I apparently missed and I died at
'I'm grateful I wasn't charged with a crime . . . '.
SAO gonna SAO.

So much potential, but it wasn't really that bad. Villain was interesting at first, but just got fucked after a 3 minute training montage. Soundtrack was sick and the last battle was cool too. SAO will never leave us.

Yeah, like a lot of anime writers Kawahara has decent ideas, but they end up as sloppily conceived springboards for his bad taste and cheap storytelling.

I feel like they added nipples to Asuna's bath scene because Sugu wasn't in it enough to keep folks titillated.

Mendrox

Just checked Ordinal Scale's post-credits scene that I apparently missed and I died at
'I'm grateful I wasn't charged with a crime . . . '.
SAO gonna SAO.

Yeah, like a lot of anime writers Kawahara has decent ideas, but they end up as sloppily conceived springboards for his bad taste and cheap storytelling.

I feel like they added nipples to Asuna's bath scene because Sugu wasn't in it enough to keep folks titillated.

That's okay in my book.

Season 3 could be great though if they don't fuck the pacing up. Best arc.

paperlynx

I'd be more surprised if there wasn't a BnHA season 3, show is too popular not to

Been listening to the Made in Abyss OST today, so good...definitely my aots

Daemul

Urara Meirochou 12

Before the new season starts, I've been working on catching up on a backlog of anime which I couldn't watch back when they originally aired because of the heavy Grad School workload I had earlier in the year, one of these being Urara Meirochou, and holy shit is this anime good.

It has amazing humour, well written characters with beautiful and non-hamfisted motivations for doing what they're doing and who interact with each other very well, and surprisingly for a CGDCT anime, it actually has a plot, and the plot is actually good.

It's unfortunate that this anime came out at the same time as similar anime like Dragon Maid, Gabriel DropOut, Demi-Chan and LWA, because it really deserves to be more talked about than it has been so far. It doesn't help matters that the manga it's based has barely been translated into other languages, so many non-Japanese anime watchers likely weren't even aware of it's existence until the anime got announced, and if they were interested in following it afterwards they couldn't because like I said, no translations.

On the plus side, the tease in the final episode about a character who appears further along in the manga than the anime covered gives me hope for S2, because it certainly deserves it.

daveo42

Banned
Is A Certain Magical Index good? Bad? Just okay?

I watched the first two episodes based off a description of the plot included in an email off this week's Giant Bombcast, giving context to that mash up game with Virtual-On. So far the guy's description is spot on, but it's also tropey as hell. Not sure if I want to stick it out to get to what sounds like the actual good, insane stuff like world wars between magic users.

Lain

I watched the first two episodes based off a description of the plot included in an email off this week's Giant Bombcast, giving context to that mash up game with Virtual-On. So far the guy's description is spot on, but it's also tropey as hell. Not sure if I want to stick it out to get to what sounds like the actual good, insane stuff like world wars between magic users.

I think it's good. Show has cliché but it's still a lot of fun. Touma is a cool MC.

Cornbread78

I've only gotten through S1 so far, but what I watched was pretty fun.

Daemul

It's certainly not the best anime ever, but I thought it was ok, definitely fun at times.

Line_HTX

The Leafa entrance in the movie was just fucking lol, like you were expecting it.

I like my anime nipples.

Sucks it's wasted on Asuna.

They wanted to sell the BD more than just, oh hey, it's the good stuff about SAO but let's take it further by adding this to sell more!

Firemind

Better than Railgun

DiGiKerot

The stuff mentioned in the Bombcast was all huge spoilers for way, way past the point in the original novels than the anime actually covers.

Index is kind of a mess, honestly. The author of the books is ludicrously prolific, having gone for long spells where he is publishing at least something every month alongside also writing scripts for spin-off comics and other work, and his work is about as all over the place as that'd tend to suggest. Normally he starts from a core idea of something pretty interesting, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. More often than not, I tend to lean toward the later, but some of it is OK.

The Index spin-off Railgun tends to be way more consistently decent than the core Index stuff regardless of the form it takes, though.

Urara Meirochou
I've wanted to go back and watch more of this show. As you say, slice-of-life dominated Winter, and I feel this show would've stood out more in any other regular season. It felt like a refreshingly grounded show about spirituality in a genre that often likes to treat their unique hook like a gimmick or simply window dressing. That, and it's a really beautiful show as well; J.C. Staff did such a fantastic job of bringing the show's vibrant setting to life. Looking forward to watching the rest of it when I have some downtime again.

Cornbread78

Urara Meirochou 12

Before the new season starts, I've been working on catching up on a backlog of anime which I couldn't watch back when they originally aired because of the heavy Grad School workload I had earlier in the year, one of these being Urara Meirochou, and holy shit is this anime good.

It has amazing humour, well written characters with beautiful and non-hamfisted motivations for doing what they're doing and who interact with each other very well, and surprisingly for a CGDCT anime, it actually has a plot, and the plot is actually good.

It's unfortunate that this anime came out at the same time as similar anime like Dragon Maid, Gabriel DropOut, Demi-Chan and LWA, because it really deserves to be more talked about than it has been so far. It doesn't help matters that the manga it's based has barely been translated into other languages, so many non-Japanese anime watchers likely weren't even aware of it's existence until the anime got announced, and if they were interested in following it afterwards they couldn't because like I said, no translations.

On the plus side, the tease in the final episode about a character who appears further along in the manga than the anime covered gives me hope for S2, because it certainly deserves it.

I thinks most people here dropped it after the first episode with all the underboob and other weird pandering shots within the first few minutes of the show. IT changes things from a comfy SoL into one of "those" shows pretty quickly...

daveo42

Banned
I think it's good. Show has cliché but it's still a lot of fun. Touma is a cool MC.

I've only gotten through S1 so far, but what I watched was pretty fun.

It's certainly not the best anime ever, but I thought it was ok, definitely fun at times.

Better than Railgun

The stuff mentioned in the Bombcast was all huge spoilers for way, way past the point in the original novels than the anime actually covers.

Index is kind of a mess, honestly. The author of the books is ludicrously prolific, having gone for long spells where he is publishing at least something every month alongside also writing scripts for spin-off comics and other work, and his work is about as all over the place as that'd tend to suggest. Normally he starts from a core idea of something pretty interesting, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. More often than not, I tend to lean toward the later, but some of it is OK.

The Index spin-off Railgun tends to be way more consistently decent than the core Index stuff regardless of the form it takes, though.

Thanks. I'll stick with it for the time being.

Trash. Watch Railgun instead if you want context for that game.

Daemul

I thinks most people here dropped it after the first episode with all the underboob and other weird pandering shots within the first few minutes of the show. IT changes things from a comfy SoL into one of "those" shows pretty quickly...

I don't know, maybe it's because I've watched so much anime that I've now become completely desensitised to the pandering shots and barely notice them anymore, but Urara didn't have any more fan service moments than it's far more popular rivals like Dragon Maid and New Game did, atleast imo.

From what I recall, pretty much all of the fan service moments Urara had were used as part of the running gag about the prude Police Captain.

ibyea

Banned
No they won’t. You know they will completely strip the heart from it.

Take away the setting, the visuals, and the music and what is even left besides the basic premise?

I am sure J-Law will play a great hick country town 15-year-old girl.

You are right, too optimistic.

ibyea

Banned
Trash. Watch Railgun instead if you want context for that game.

I am on the it's trash side. Boring MC, stupid harem crap, fights that get less creative as the episodes go on, and a disgusting amount of male gaze shots. It gets by at the beginning by having an interesting setting and cool superpowers.

kewlmyc

I appreciate the lore, world building, and characters of Index at least. It's a very well though out universe.

Only thing that I really don't like about the series is that it feels as if the author can't go long without throwing in a random out of place fanservice scene, as if he doesn't trust the attention span of his audience. Heavy Object had this same problem.

Raildex is cool though. First half of the 2nd season is fantastic.

Deadly

Gamers 12
Damn I was hoping for some conclusion to the last episode :(

BUT holy shit this episode was good still. All those jabs at gaming were spot on hahahaha. Tendou with hair tied up best waifu

We need a season 2 pronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom