• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
It seems like the movie is going to be centered around Renton's time with the Beams. Not sure if anyone noticed but they note his name as Renton Beams (with Renton Thurston below it) on his character profile on the movie website. Hm.

Renton was adopted by Ray and Charles in this version.

Just finished Your Lie in April.

DcVZmMp.gif

Jarmel

Banned
Right. I was just noting that the focus on that will give us an idea as to how the movie will be directed and narrated.

Honestly I'm not sure how much sense this change makes as it undercuts Ray's character arc as she always wanted a child and Renton IS that child in this case. I also don't believe that Ray and Charles would really settle down in one town like Bellforest instead of just dragging Renton all over the globe with them.

Renton would be a VERY different character if raised by Ray and Charles.

ibyea

Banned
It seems like the movie is going to be centered around Renton's time with the Beams. Not sure if anyone noticed but they note his name as Renton Beams (with Renton Thurston below it) on his character profile on the movie website. Hm.

Renton was adopted by Ray and Charles in this version.

Oh that's how they are going to skip the first 20 eps? Lol.

Now I am so confused about what this movie is.

Narag

Finished watching Hajime no Ippo.

Season 1 was magnificent and actually inspiring, which is a new feeling for me when watching anime. :p

Shit got kinda stale and repetitive in season 2, the main character was pushed to the sidelines for some reason.

Season 3 was okay, but it seems like they lost the plot to be honest, and the animation was a serious downgrade.

I had a lot of fun with S1, not so much with the other two, but it was still enjoyable. What am I gonna do with my life now...

Friend, I've just the show for you.

I came across Your Lie in April while browsing Netflix. I've been getting into classical music and learning the violin for a couple years now, so when I saw it was about a pianist and violinist, I was intrigued.

Just finished the final episode.

giphy.gif

Oh man, this show fucked me up. I'm not a crier, but I had a big lump in my throat throughout many of the scenes, and for pretty much the entirety of the final two episodes. The scene at the end where Kousei is
reading the letter
... that nearly broke me.

What an incredibly touching, bittersweet, and visually/musically beautiful show. This piece of the OST has been playing in my head for a couple days now, and it fills me with emotion. I don't watch a lot of anime, and rarely admit that I watch it at all because the genre is so full of embarrassing, weird, and/or perverted tropes, but this is a show I could recommend to anyone. I have so much to say about it... but the emotional impact is still so raw I'll probably end up rambling. One scene that really continues to stand out, aside from the obvious ones, is the one where Kousei gives Tsubaki a piggyback ride
after her baseball game and she cries on his back, while inside admitting she wishes that moment could go on forever
. Too sweet for words. This show really nailed the emotional messiness of being a 14-year-old.

On a more personal note: I was kind of in a slump with my violin practice. I'm currently working through the end of Suzuki Book 4, and if any of you have learned violin maybe you'll remember - it's a large spike in difficulty from Book 3 and can be very discouraging. My teacher said it's the book where many students realize they don't want to put in the dedication to progress further on the violin. I've managed to get this far, but I'll admit I've been wavering for a while. I took up the violin right around my 26th birthday, mostly out of curiosity and because it was something I'd been wanting to try for years. But Suzuki Book 4 made me realize I'd probably need more than just curiosity to finish this book and progress through the next ones. And as sappy and cliché as it may sound, this show lit a fire under my ass. Like the main character, I'm also pretty bad at expressing my emotions through words. It made me realize that I'd like to become proficient enough at the violin one day so that I may express myself through the music I play, and maybe even move other people with my playing. I'm certainly a long way off from being able to do that, but it's a worthy goal I think, and it fills me with new purpose for putting in those hours of difficult, often frustrating, practice.

All that from a damn cartoon. Pretty goddamn amazing. My hat's off to the creators and animators of this show.

I still got mixed feelings on the finale.
I'm in the camp that feels it would've been better if Kaori survived her operation.

I mean, I think we all wish she did. But the story was better with the ending as it was. In that letter reading scene you learn that this show was about a girl who knew she was dying, and decided to go for broke, live the rest of her life as a free spirit, and went down swinging. Absolutely heartbreaking, but also incredibly inspiring and beautiful too. She did not go gentle into that good night.

zulux21

Wow, what the fuck at Artland... What's gonna happen now with Seven Mortal Sins because they had 10.5 last Friday.

I imagine that given episode 11 is going to air today and the last episode should be next week that they should already have it done, or at least done-ish.

worst case, the last episode doesn't make it to air, and nothing of note would be lost.

though it wasn't artland only TNK was also working on it so they would likely finish it.

edit: I wonder when I watched the first episode of hyouka, but I did at some point.
also know I found it super boring.
thankfully it is dubbed now and I can do other things during.

Jarmel

Banned
Seriously though why the fuck are they reusing footage from the E7 TV series? You can't tell me that would have ballooned the budget up to some insane amount.

duckroll

Let's go with half an hour to 45 minutes. Now your followup question is going to be what do they do with the remaining time however they already have new footage in there too.

I'm going to go with 15-20 minutes. At best. And no, my next question is, how long do you think the first film is? :)

Jarmel

Banned
I'm going to go with 15-20 minutes. At best. And no, my next question is, how long do you think the first film is? :)

1 hr 20 I guess. It depends on where they want to end it. It's hard to predict due to their story changes as I don't think the shootout with Holland and Gekko is now happening.

duckroll

1 hr 20 I guess. It depends on where they want to end it. It's hard to predict due to their story changes as I don't think the shootout with Holland and Gekko is now happening.

Knowing Kyoda, my expectation is that it will run for two hours at least, and be fairly bloated. There are still two films after that. So I guess my question is, if there is about 20+ mins of movie quality new animation in each one, and about 100 minutes of scenes filled with modified and touched up TV footage, do you think that a "failed" crossmedia project like Eureka 7, can get the funding for another 300 minutes of original movie animation? :p

Jarmel

Banned
Knowing Kyoda, my expectation is that it will run for two hours at least, and be fairly bloated. There are still two films after that. So I guess my question is, if there is about 20+ mins of movie quality new animation in each one, and about 100 minutes of scenes filled with modified and touched up TV footage, do you think that a "failed" crossmedia project like Eureka 7, can get the funding for another 300 minutes of original movie animation? :p

Pocketful of Rainbows was definitely long but they were trying to do the entire series in one movie. This can afford to be shorter and with cutting Gramps and Gekkostate out, that shortens the amount they need to tell. Due to how heavily they're changing the story I'm not sure how much of the old footage they can use. They're using the arc where Renton was away from the Gekko and just by himself however that arc isn't particularly long. It would be one thing if they were roughly following the same story.

Obviously if you're correct about the percentage of new to old being literally lower than 20% then yes it would shoot the budget up.

duckroll

Oh fuck there are still last minute random screenings for the Doraemon film this weekend even though they skipped screenings last weekend? Wtf! I guess I'm watching it tomorrow morning! Look forward to impressions!

Narag

Castlevania 1-4 FIN

Good show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom