• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2017 | July 2 - July 9 | Shout outs to...

neshcom

Banned
I'll watch part of FF7 assuming it isn't a weird save game manipulation thing. That bummed me out on a recorded run I watched a few months ago.

Wish puwexil was doing commentary for this.

I still think my favourite GDQ run was spike_vegeta and puwexil doing FFIX all those years ago.

TheContact

8 hour speedrun of FF7...

Seriously, who the hell watches all of it?

Me. Can't wait

Wow, and for an any% run, too. Guess there aren't the same number of skips available for this game?

You can beat it in 3 hours or so on PC version

I'd be more concerned about the runner having a stroke from playing 8 hours straight. At least do a tag team.

8 hours is nothing...google xenogears speed run. Some dude does it in 17 hours straight. That's dedication

Luigi87

I watched the 4 hour FF7 speedrun a few years ago, but this is too much for this one, lol
... Plus being 1AM, I should sleep!

Rocwell

I'd be more concerned about the runner having a stroke from playing 8 hours straight. At least do a tag team.

There's 2 guys right there with him with a tablet keeping track of the run and can probably step in for 5 minutes of mashing through text during any given story segment.

c1d

8 hours is nothing...google xenogears speed run. Some dude does it in 17 hours straight. That's dedication
I think the most recent BOTW 100% run was done in one sitting (~30hrs). There's also FFX Nemesis% which is 24ish hours.

linko9

Yall tryin to tell me you've never played a game for 8 hrs straight before? I would have figured everyone on this site would have done that at least once :D

oh hey BOTW is a bonus run now

Yall tryin to tell me you've never played a game for 8 hrs straight before? I would have figured everyone on this site would have done that at least once :D

i think it's just some people don't like speedrunning a game that take several hours long

How do they organize this exactly?

Do they fly all these people to the same place and have them up a 4 am or whenever to do their speed run?

Do they have to bring their own hardware and copies of the game?

Brashnir

How do they organize this exactly?

Do they fly all these people to the same place and have them up a 4 am or whenever to do their speed run?

Do they have to bring their own hardware and copies of the game?

A lot of volunteers bring equipment. Most runners bring their own copies of the game. People have to fly out on their own.

Not hating and I realize there is a dedicated community around it. But who enjoys watching JRPG runs? Is it relaxing? Cuz I can't imagine it's very compelling. Do they keep it around for tradition or to extend the event or what?

Brashnir

Not hating and I realize there is a dedicated community around it. But who enjoys watching JRPG runs? Is it relaxing? Cuz I can't imagine it's very compelling. Do they keep it around for tradition or to extend the event or what?

I remember the first time GDQ ever cracked a million was durring a Chrono Trigger run, which was pretty great, and the FF1 run last time was kind of incredible in a lot of ways if you understand how it became marathon-safe, but generally-speaking? yeah, RPG runs are generally snoozefests.

Speevy

Banned

It's one of the most well-regarded RPGs in history, but watching it like "Oh, he just ran into that area. He talked to that guy really fast. He ran away from that battle."

I just can't get into it.

RPGLimitBreak is all RPGs and pretty successful, so yeah people enjoy them.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Curious how they plan to have a possible BOTW speed run for an hour during setup block 5. That sounds like a nightmare, haha.

KarmaCow

I find that most RPG runs have great commentary that carries it. Another big part is that since they're usually low level, there are moments that look risky even if most of the time they are in near complete control with RNG manipulation. It's not something I would watch (much less run) outside of GDQ but it is fun to revisit these games through speedruns.

it's chill, it's a good way to entertain myself for when i don't have much to do

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I probably spend the most time watching RPG runs. Watched most of Chrono Trigger, Earthbound Zero, and Paper Mario Thousand Year Door in previous GDQs.

Under leveled boss strategies or power level strategies are interesting. Plus the nostalgia factor is pretty high. I haven't seen most of these scenes since I first played those games a decade ago.

RNG manipulation is also fascinating to me for some reason, and RPGs have a ton of it. This guy is counting steps that'll influence RNG 6 hours in.

They really are stuffed with as much per minute optimizations as any other game, it's just a lot more minutes.

I enjoy watching JRPG runs. They can be great to have in the background or revisit a few times over the course of a day. It's enjoyable or comforting to hear the great music and look into the great worlds these games can have.

The people running it matters a lot. These guys are pretty affable so that makes it nice.

RagnarokX

They're talking about that Midgar model puzzle. That confused me as a kid.

The reason the model shows damage is because that's not Sector 7, it's Sector 6. Prior to the start of the game Sector 6 was destroyed. Reeves mentions that they were working on repairing Sector 6.

Rocwell

This run is reminding me how great FFVII was. Just enjoying the music and the background art and the nuances of the battle system while we go on a little let's play.

I've watched tons of speed runs, but never a rpg. Like so many others, this game defined many video game memories. I am completely addicted to this run. I should have gone to sleep a while ago, but I can't. So much about this run is keeping my interest, despite my countless upon countless playthroughs

FF7 run easily has the best couch commentary so far.

Extremely informative with the occasional humor and they play off each other perfectly. Didn't think I'd watch it since JRPG runs usually bore me but here I am 3 hours later...

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

Extremely informative with the occasional humor and they play off each other perfectly. Didn't think I'd watch it since JRPG runs usually bore me but here I am 3 hours later...

Nahhh. Link to the past commentary has sooo been the best.

This has been enjoyable.

Veldin

Ehh they're okay I guess. They keep doing the feigned ignorance thing where they've all played the game 800 times but do the wink-nudge "whoa what's going on here??" for nearly every story beat and that's always been annoying during RPG runs. Otherwise the strat knowledge has been good.

Nahhh. Link to the past commentary has sooo been the best.

This has been enjoyable.

Depends on what you're looking for, I guess, cause I thought the LttP commentary was a little too obnoxious. Sometimes I wanted to know what exactly was going on but then the the beard dude had to interject with a sarcastic remark or joke every 15 seconds.

inb4 nofunallowed.jpg

Anoxida

Depends on what you're looking for, I guess, cause I thought the LttP commentary was a little too obnoxious. Sometimes I wanted to know what exactly was going on but then the the beard dude had to interject with a sarcastic remark or joke every 15 seconds.

inb4 nofunallowed.jpg

I mean you're probably in the minority on this but some people enjoy more serious commentary. 95% of the couches are very serious so I don't mind when patty comes in once or twice per GDQ and just makes silly and funny comments, it switches things up imo. We're here to be entertained after all.

Top Bottom