• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2017 | July 2 - July 9 | Shout outs to...

CookTrain

I know that Dark Souls is all about patterns and fairness and so bosses can be "solved"... but it's always astonishing to see. Like he says, if you've put a few hundred attempts into them over your runs, it's somewhat cathartic to watch them get dismantled.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Yeah! BotW incentive met!

I'll wait to watch the run until I've started... and finished... BotW. But I'm sure that's a run many, many people want to see :)

I know that Dark Souls is all about patterns and fairness and so bosses can be "solved"... but it's always astonishing to see. Like he says, if you've put a few hundred attempts into them over your runs, it's somewhat cathartic to watch them get dismantled.

Yeah. That Aldritch fight was mental. I had never, ever fought him with him firing his arrows.

Wallach

This guy's DS3 run is really going well. Other than the number of attempts to get the ledge death skip he's had really good luck.

espher

According to Trihex, according to GDQ staff, they don't want Mario Maker to become boring. So this year, Trihex went to Anime Expo because there was no reason to attend SGDQ.

I'd settle for it being an AGDQ event, tbqh.

I also want them to pick a safer race category for the next Super Metroid race - the last three races have all been kind of underwhelming owing to deaths.

According to Trihex, according to GDQ staff, they don't want Mario Maker to become boring. So this year, Trihex went to Anime Expo because there was no reason to attend SGDQ.

If this mentality is the same reason we aren't seeing popular staples like DKC2 or Ocarina of Time, then somebody needs some sense slapped into them.

Not having Mario Maker, one of the best runs they've ever had, is completely stupid.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
The bosses in this game are just fucking awesome.

Tookay

Mario Maker has less of a reason to become boring than other games, because of the user-generated levels. Not entirely satisfied by that answer.

TUSR

Banned
Diablo 2 runner wasn't cut off by GDQ staff, he was making a joke!

Yah i hope everyone knows it was a joke! They didn't even talk in my headset to me, that was just me rolling with it. I of course meant no disrespect to the organization and they aren't making me write this but i hope people don't lash out at gdq. I'm super honored to get to run here and i love the charity. I've donated to doctors without borders multiple times in my life and have always loved what they do.
Maybe I'll get banned for the joke, maybe not. That's up to them now and I'll respect any decision! But regardless ill always love what gdq does and how it brings us all together to help those in need

KarmaCow

I'd settle for it being an AGDQ event, tbqh.

I also want them to pick a safer race category for the next Super Metroid race - the last three races have all been kind of underwhelming owing to deaths.

Phantoon is problem in all categories AFAIK, so the race is more to ensure that someone finishes the game for the save/kill donations and there are plenty of tense moments and strict tech that I still enjoy it. The only real problem is that since it been such a staple that everyone assumes everyone watching knows what happens so the commentary becomes barely related to the game.

save or kill the animals

It doesn't map 1:1 but it got over 250k in donations this year. They're not going give up that.

Nanashrew

Banned
That's simply what Trihex was told. He doesn't agree with it so that's why he has little reason to attend a GDQ until Mario Maker is accepted.

He made it known over Twitter awhile back.

Mario Maker has less of a reason to become boring than other games, because of the user-generated levels. Not entirely satisfied by that answer.

I agree. User generated levels means is less likely to be boring, especially if you have people like Panga making them. The relay race was really hype and showing off the technical skill of many Mario players.

venomenon

That was a really entertaining run. Looked so damn easy.

Weird, I could watch Dark Souls all day even though I have no clue about it and only played DS2 briefly.

xuchu

Damn, missed the run. Nice shoutout to epicnamebro with the character name. Looks like a great run too considering it was deathless in a marathon setting.

xuchu

Sellsword Twinblades go right through the bosses in this game. I remember how awful they were at launch, where two L1's was slower and did less damage than just mashing R1.

Were they ever buffed? Weren't they always powerful not because of the raw damage but the quick bleed proc. Bleed/luck builds are top tier in dark souls 3.

Ryan7556

Neo Member
That Dark Souls 3 run went really well and was weirdly entertaining. The chemisty between Bubbles and Thor also worked in its favour.

If this mentality is the same reason we aren't seeing popular staples like DKC2 or Ocarina of Time, then somebody needs some sense slapped into them.

Not having Mario Maker, one of the best runs they've ever had, is completely stupid.

I don't know, there's been multiple people in this thread complaining that they feel that the game selection this year is too safe. Personally, I'm okay with at least some games not being brought out every year - I think it's a good move to try and mix things up.

Using Amiibo to give you an advantage is like using a controller with turbo.

The amiibo aren't even a huge advantage based on times. Best non amiibo time for any% is only 1 minute and 1 second behind the world record with amiibo, and the gap is about half a minute in all dungeons.In all main quests the four top runners are all non amiibo

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Using Amiibo to give you an advantage is like using a controller with turbo.

I agree. To me, since it's essentially inserting a piece of code into the game from outside it's like using a Game Genie/Shark to insert a code to give you Epona from the beginning and I disagree with its usage.

I agree. To me, since it's essentially inserting a piece of code into the game from outside it's like using a Game Genie/Shark to insert a code to give you Epona from the beginning and I disagree with its usage.

Again, I think it'd be a bigger deal if it actually gave you a huge advantage, but based on times the benefit is fairly small

Anoxida

Solid Dark souls 3 run but I'm pretty dissapointed people didn't get to see Distortion2 in action. That dude is the best souls player bar none.

I agree that amiibo-less runs are more interesting, but that's not a fair comparison - using a Gameshark is just hacking the game, but using amiibos is more comparable to using something like the GBA link feature back in Wind Waker (which was part of the run for a while).

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I agree that amiibo-less runs are more interesting, but that's not a fair comparison - using a Gameshark is just hacking the game, but using amiibos is more comparable to using something like the GBA link feature back in Wind Waker (which was part of the run for a while).

Fair enough.

Wallach

Yeah, it's definitely built into the game structure.

It's not much of a deal either way in BotW. I'd rather they use them for the minor time saved. I actually hope they find some more interesting skips with the Guardian boxes in the future.

nubbe

Using the Amiibo to get a horse in BotW isn't a big deal since geting a horse is really easy anyways.

The real challenge is to have the nerves and focus to deal with Ganon's all forms without armor and limited amount of weapons.
So I much prefer they got to Hyrule Castle asap.

Blizzard

Banned
No real skin off my nose if Mario Maker never comes back. I've long since stopped caring about Generic Hard Level #54867 being touted as "great."
This is a really weird complaint. Was the draw certain levels being touted as great? Were the hard levels on the GDQ stream(s) truly generic?

In my opinion the whole point is the skill and/or surprise of the runners if doing races, and the excitement of watching that, not some argument about the level design. And I believe someone was mentioning above that the designer who'd be doing it is actually decent, not someone generic.

Top Bottom