• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2017 | July 2 - July 9 | Shout outs to...

No real skin off my nose if Mario Maker never comes back. I've long since stopped caring about Generic Hard Level #54867 being touted as "great."

This here is an example of a person that can't see or appreciate the difference between generic hard for the sake of hard, and well designed skill showcase.

Also nofunallowed.jpeg

venomenon

No real skin off my nose if Mario Maker never comes back. I've long since stopped caring about Generic Hard Level #54867 being touted as "great."
I think its appeal is more about the runners adjusting and learning levels on the fly, not about the quality of the levels themselves. At least it was in the blind races they did. That doesn't really get boring, IMO.

Here's hoping the BotW runner doesn't choke, she seemed awfully nervous.

These Dark Souls runs have taught me that the best way to defeat a boss is to roll through its legs and attack its anus.
It's the best way to deal with bosses IRL too.

xuchu

Solid Dark souls 3 run but I'm pretty dissapointed people didn't get to see Distortion2 in action. That dude is the best souls player bar none.

Yeah he really is one of, if not the, best souls player.

I heard there was some beef or misunderstanding between him and SGDQ over running Dark souls 3 w/DLC1+2. Something about time estimates or something considering that the 2nd dlc hadn't been released when sgdq scheduling was taking place. Shame about not seeing him run but looks like they had a good DS3+dlc1 run regardless.

I also want them to pick a safer race category for the next Super Metroid race - the last three races have all been kind of underwhelming owing to deaths.

Eh, at AGDQ 2017 they did a relatively safe 100% race and it was pretty dull aside from Waluigi and Shuttle Buses. I prefer the riskier races, even if it may mean a total party kill.

ustv-arrested-development-tobias-i-just-blue-myself.jpg

Anoxida

Yeah he really is one of, if not the, best souls player.

I heard there was some beef or misunderstanding between him and SGDQ over running Dark souls 3 w/DLC1+2. Something about time estimates or something considering that the 2nd dlc hadn't been released when sgdq scheduling was taking place. Shame about not seeing him run but looks like they had a good DS3+dlc1 run regardless.

Yep, he wrote in his submission that he would add DLC 2 and that it would add about 10 min to the estimated time later on. They accepted the submission and didn't tell him that he would not be able to run dlc 2 until the day before they released the schedule. At that point he had been practicing DLC 2 like crazy. He even reached out to them well before this to double check that adding dlc 2 was cool and they didn't respond I think. I can't fault him at all for being salty and bowing out.

That said, this was the first souls run that was above mediocre in quality on a GDQ so I'm not to bothered by it.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Lol am I imagining things or was someone like DAFUUUQ after that Gargoyles double kill. Language!

xuchu

That said, this was the first souls run that was above mediocre in quality on a GDQ so I'm not to bothered by it.

Yeah souls runs in previous years have, unfortunately, been rife with crashes, skips/glitches not working and relying on save files when things go wrong. Can't really blame runners on deaths, OoB glitches causing crashes or things that would result in resets aren't really possible with time constraints of SGDQ.

Marathon runs are hard, I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've enjoyed most of the souls runs in previous years despite the technical hiccups and mistakes.

According to Trihex, according to GDQ staff, they don't want Mario Maker to become boring. So this year, Trihex went to Anime Expo because there was no reason to attend SGDQ.

I don't blame him. What the fuck is wrong with them? The Relay race of MM was one of if not the BEST marathon speed runs ever. They are nuts to turn it away. 8 hour FF7 speed run? Perfectly fine. MM speed run on amazing user designed levels or relay racing? Nope rejected. GDQ "no fun allowed" attitude really drags down the event as a whole.

Anoxida

I don't blame him. What the fuck is wrong with them? The Relay race of MM was one of if not the BEST marathon speed runs ever. They are nuts to turn it away. 8 hour FF7 speed run? Perfectly fine. MM speed run on amazing user designed levels or relay racing? Nope rejected. GDQ "no fun allowed" attitude really drags down the event as a whole.

FF7 got loads of positive feedback though and it was during the graveyard shift. I agree that it's a silly reason to turn it down but dont bring the FF7 run into this :p

FF7 got loads of positive feedback though and it was during the graveyard shift. I agree that it's a silly reason to turn it down but dont bring the FF7 run into this :p

Not being down on FF7 at all dude just don't get why they will put it in which took 8 hours by MM is going to get "boring" that's a total cop out reason. Just bummed that GDQ staff is so weird and touchy.

Wallach

Not being down on FF7 at all dude just don't get why they will put it in which took 8 hours by MM is going to get "boring" that's a total cop out reason. Just bummed that GDQ staff is so weird and touchy.

Not sure they're being weird or touchy about it, they just decided not to bring it back yet. Lots of games don't make it back every year.

CookTrain

Yeah, don't get too down about games not showing up, they try and have variety. Was it ADGQ this year that only had one N64 game total?

Top Bottom