• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2017 | July 2 - July 9 | Shout outs to...

CookTrain

Asking people to donate 5mil of an arbitrary point system seemed like a big ask to begin with.

~6 hours to find 200k for Portal though... can't wait to see what happens there.

KingBroly

Banned
Asking people to donate 5mil of an arbitrary point system seemed like a big ask to begin with.

~6 hours to find 200k for Portal though... can't wait to see what happens there.

5 million bits is too much. 2 million would've been doable.

BotW still needs to happen.

Coonce

agreed, the bits incentive this year is stupid as hell. 5 million, and they haven't even hit 2 million.

Tall4Life

It doesn't help that since they made it so large, people basically gave up on donating for it. Why donate bits when it looks so so far away?

If Portal 2 happens, the end of SGDQ will be at around 10 am my time zone. I might be able to wake up and catch the end!

I've never actually seen the end of a GDQ event, always stopped watching when interesting games ended and the actual end is usually at the middle of the night in European time zones. In this case I'll watch a bit of Mario 64 but that's the end of my marathon unless I wake up early enough to catch the end.

CookTrain

Am I right in thinking that the 5,000,000 bits is about $70,000 ($50,000 to GDQ)? Goes to show what a disincentive it is. That's not a huge donation amount in real terms. Definitely something the community would have got into, but having such a big number not move... that's a little dissuading.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Am I right in thinking that the 5,000,000 bits is about $70,000 ($50,000 to GDQ)? Goes to show what a disincentive it is. That's not a huge donation amount in real terms. Definitely something the community would have got into, but having such a big number not move... that's a little dissuading.

Twitch gives 1 cent per bit to the streamer, so they'd get $50,000. How much Twitch gets depends on how people are buying bits, though. The larger the pack, the greater the discount.

If 200 people bought the 25,000 bit pack for $308 each one, they'd get 5,000,000 bits, but raise "only" $61,600. But, of course, this is a best-case scenario. I think most people would go for the $7 and $20 options. The next pack is $65. Kinda steep.

I have no issue with GDQ using bits as an alternative form of donations... I just don't want Twitch getting a cut of those donations. I just don't think it goes with the spirit of the marathon.

Edit: Quick question for US-GAF. I see so many people donating $1000 or more. I assume that these donations are tax-deductible. Are these just very well off people, or do the tax reductions make up for the initial "investment"?

CookTrain

Twitch gives 1 cent per bit to the streamer, so they'd get $50,000. How much Twitch gets depends on how people are buying bits, though. The larger the pack, the greater the discount.

If 200 people bought the 25,000 bit pack for $308 each one, they'd get 5,000,000 bits, but raise "only" $61,600. But, of course, this is a best-case scenario. I think most people would go for the $7 and $20 options. The next pack is $65. Kinda steep.

I have no issue with GDQ using bits as an alternative form of donations... I just don't want Twitch getting a cut of those donations. I just don't think it goes with the spirit of the marathon.

For me, even the skimming off the top isn't too bad. It's just the fact that most people see 5,000,000 of something, and dismiss it as crazy.

jediyoshi

Is this still going on? Twitch is making a donation based on bits.

630hDLw.png

Twitch is also donating $5 for every Twitch prime sub used on the channel up to another $50,000.

630hDLw.png

Twitch is also donating $5 for every Twitch prime sub used on the channel up to another $50,000.

They massively overestimated how much people would use bits. They're not even at 1.5 million and it's been going on since the marathon started.

Wanderer5

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAHOOOOOOO!!

That was pretty hilarious.

Joey Ravn

Banned

630hDLw.png

Ah, I didn't know that. I'm not trying to perpetuate anything.

Still, you need to buy the bits in the first place, right? Is Twitch also giving the standard rate of 1 cent per bit to GDQ? Because if they only donate based on the total amount of bits, then that $2,500 donation is waaaay lower than what they got in bits.

evilalien

Ah, I didn't know that. I'm not trying to perpetuate anything.

Still, you need to buy the bits in the first place, right? Is Twitch also giving the standard rate of 1 cent per bit to GDQ? Because if they only donate based on the total amount of bits, then that $2,500 donation is waaaay lower than what they got in bits.

Yes, that table is Twitch's bonus donation in addition to the actual bit money being donated to MSF. Even that bonus money doesn't entirely negate the Twitch cut for bit buys though, and your money is better spent donating directly unless you have ad farming bits.

Anoxida

What are the highlights this year?

Link to the past swordless, Jedi outcast , Brothers: Tales of Two sons, half life, ratchet and clank, kingdom hearts 2, titanfall 2, dark souls 3 and super panga world have been my highlights so far. FFVII and Chrono trigger were also really good if you enjoy long jrpg runs.

espher

Phantoon is problem in all categories AFAIK, so the race is more to ensure that someone finishes the game for the save/kill donations and there are plenty of tense moments and strict tech that I still enjoy it. The only real problem is that since it been such a staple that everyone assumes everyone watching knows what happens so the commentary becomes barely related to the game.

Eh, at AGDQ 2017 they did a relatively safe 100% race and it was pretty dull aside from Waluigi and Shuttle Buses. I prefer the riskier races, even if it may mean a total party kill.

I mean, the commentary (and crowd energy) is a big part of it, and was a big part of why AGDQ 2017 sucked too.

I know Phantoon is going to be a hurdle/run killer regardless - I'd just budget for Any% or something and try to get back to four (or more) people running it to try and give it the best chance at remaining a race. I mean, AGDQ 2016 was an Any% race and still had three deaths, but they were in different spots (including oats dying on Mother Brain) instead of super early in the run quickly removing the 'race' part.

Top Bottom