• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer long affair with a High School teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

As an authority figure in his life you have a responsibility to say no regardless of what he does.

That's the issue I think. These teachers are too young and too new in their careers to handle a 16 or 17 year old making advances on them like that.

patapuf

I'm a bit puzzled at all the accusations thrown around. I mean, yeah, she's the teacher, normally it's a risky thing to have a relationship with a student (especially if they're not legal), and she was dumb for sending the kid a nude pic, but :

First, it doesn't say who initiated the texting, so it's hard to talk about rape. The way this happened, I'm thinking the kid is the one who started to hit on the teacher (why save her number otherwise?). But again, nothing sure. What's the age of consent in the US anyway?

Second...

(emphasis mine)

... Let me get this straight:
- Teacher sends pic of her to student over temporary app.
- Said student saves pic and shares it with friends.
- School accuses teacher of violating trust of student

... Huh? The student is the one who violated the trust of the teacher, not the other way around! Besides, having a relationship with a student has nothing to do with safety and trust, unless it was really a rape/forceful relationship, which we don't know. What a poorly thought-out statement.

It's not complicated.

- Teachers are in a position of power they are trusted not to abuse it.
- Teachers sleeping with students in many places illegal because of this - even if it's over the age of consent.

Teachers sleeping with students is bad, and as the older person that's also the person of authority a teacher is held to a higher standard than a horny teenager. You really think something is wrong with this?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
It's not complicated.

- Teachers are in a position of power they are trusted not to abuse it.
- Teachers sleeping with students in many places illegal because of this - even if it's over the age of consent.

Teachers sleeping with students is bad, and as the older person that's also the person of authority a teacher is held to a higher standard than a horny teenager. You really think something is wrong with this?

I'm not defending the act of sleeping with her student, but I also don't buy that it's a one-sided thing and that the student doesn't share any responsibility. Sharing the teacher's pic is still scummy on the student's part.

Now, of course, if the teacher demonstrably used her authority to have her way with the dude, that's another story. However, going by what we know, there is no clear indication that this is the case. Just because someone is in a position of power doesn't mean that the sex is the result of pressure from the authority.

patapuf

I'm not defending the act of sleeping with her student, but I also don't buy that it's a one-sided thing and that the student doesn't share any responsibility. Sharing the teacher's pic is still scummy on the student's part.

Now, of course, if the teacher demonstrably used her authority to have her way with the dude, that's another story. However, going by what we know, there is no clear indication that this is the case. Just because someone is in a position of power doesn't mean that the sex is the result of pressure from the authority.

But it does mean you'll be held accountable regardless. You are in charge, you bear the responsibilty if something happens. You are the one that's expected to be reasonable. What part of the blame is the 17 year old supposed to bear? That he spoke about the incident?

If the student is under the legal age of consent (no idea if this is the case here) the point is moot anyway.

Dali

We do. At my student teaching orientation they told us straight up, "Oh btw don't have sex with your students."
Lol. It's hilarious it's even necessary. It's like getting a job at McDonald's and them telling you don't jack off into the mayonnaise. It should be understood, but apparently it's not.

Btw, How old is he?

It is amazing how many sex offenders are women. I never would have thought it, but day after day a new woman is found to be fucking her students. Unbelievable.

Wait hold on, are you guys really saying throw this innocent woman under the jail like she murdered someone? Wow, a female teacher had sex with a old enough young man... So the hell what? When is the responsibility going to be on the young men because I knew at that age, I was ready to have Sex with a teacher, and I'm sure most of you was the same way.

royalan

Wait hold on, are you guys really saying throw this innocent woman under the jail like she murdered someone? Wow, a female teacher had sex with a old enough young man... So the hell what? When is the responsibility going to be on the young men because I knew at that age, I was ready to have Sex with a teacher, and I'm sure most of you was the same way.

It's not going to be on the young men. They're minors. I don't know what part of that is difficult to grasp.

It doesn't matter who "pursued" who or who instigated what. These teachers are adults using their positions of authority to fuck minors. Doesn't matter if the students were walking around with visible hard-ons for them all day, the onus and responsibility is completely on the teachers to not fuck their students.

The student saved the picture on his phone and later distributed it to a handful of friends at the school.

"But I thought we had something special!"

What the hell do these people expect to happen when you romance immature brain tissue.

IISANDERII

"She was halfway through with her sandwich when she noticed a clump of mayonnaise on the side of her bun. She licked it off, but when she tasted it she immediately realized things were not right. “I’m not gonna lie,” McDowell said. “On Birthdays and holidays I give my man a little something extra in the bedroom, you know? So when I licked the mayo off of the bun, the texture was familiar.”"

I love her attitude, sucks that she may have gotten herpes.

Never going to order anything with mayonnaise from a restaurant ever again.

It's not going to be on the young men. They're minors. I don't know what part of that is difficult to grasp.

It doesn't matter who "pursued" who or who instigated what. These teachers are adults using their positions of authority to fuck minors. Doesn't matter if the students were walking around with visible hard-ons for them all day, the onus and responsibility is completely on the teachers to not fuck their students.

I disagree, that young man was what 15-17? At that age, you are fully aware of what you doing, it's not like their five and they got in the van because of candy.

I just don't understand why people think we should waste tax payers dollars and send her to jail like she a monster that rapes young boys.

Lose her job and come work in chicago, yes
But send her to jail... NO

I'm seeing a trend here....perhaps they shouldn't be hiring 20-somethings to work with kids who are pretty much in their age bracket.

Find comfort in the fact that the only reason is seems like all 20-something teachers are fucking their students is the same reason it seems all cops are homicidal racists - those are the stories that get reported on. No one gives a shit about the 99% of teachers who don't fuck their students unless they strike or something.

royalan

I disagree, that young man was what 15-17? At that age, you are fully aware of what you doing, it's not like their five and they got in the van because of candy.

I just don't understand why people think we should waste tax payers dollars and send her to jail like she a monster that rapes young boys.

Lose her job and come work in chicago, yes
But send her to jail... NO

It doesn't matter that they were aware of what they were doing. I'm sure they were COMPLETELY aware of what they were doing. Their awareness of the situation is the most irrelevant part of all this.

It doesn't change the facts:

A) They're minors.

B) The women they fucked around with were adults.

C) Those adult women also happened to be their teachers.

D) This is illegal. This is called statutory rape in most places.

E) It was completely the responsibility, 100% and NOBODY else's, of the teachers to not fuck their students.

Seriously, it doesn't get more basic than this.

And sorry to burst your bubble here, but these teachers ARE monsters who rape young boys. This IS statutory rape.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
"But I thought we had something special!"

What the hell do these people expect to happen when you romance immature brain tissue.
The fact that they are sharing highly incriminating nudies makes me think those teachers are not very mature themselves.

But honestly, how hard is not to fuck your pupils?

Do teachers just not watch the news and see other teachers getting prosecuted for doing the same thing, or do they just think their case is different?

It doesn't matter that they were aware of what they were doing. I'm sure they were COMPLETELY aware of what they were doing. Their awareness of the situation is the most irrelevant part of all this.

A) They're minors.

E) It was completely the responsibility, 100% and NOBODY else's, of the teachers to not fuck their students.

And sorry to burst your bubble here, but these teachers ARE monsters who rape young boys. This IS statutory rape.

DDon't you think monster is too strong of a word to describe a innocent woman? And she wasn't a teacher, she was a cheer coach of a different school so the power bullshit you guys try to spur around here is not at play here

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The fact that teachers continue to think that high school students won't brag about this is the funniest thing.

royalan

DDon't you think monster is too strong of a word to describe a innocent woman? And she wasn't a teacher, she was a cheer coach of a different school so the power bullshit you guys try to spur around here is not at play here

...exactly what part of this story makes her an innocent woman? She's not innocent. That's the whole point.

OnPoint

sMT2RJp.jpg

Thrak360

Neo Member
She was a biology teacher and assistant cheer coach at the school, the student was on the cheer squad of that same school.

...exactly what part of this story makes her an innocent woman? She's not innocent. That's the whole point.

Having sex with a old enough young boy does not make a monster... I'm pretty sure every man at that age would have wanted to have Sex with a teacher.

I agree with losing her job but I'm not about to sit around and let you guys waste time by throwing her in jail like she murdered someone

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

A) They're minors.

No it isn't necessarily. It's rape if the person has been coerced into it or is under the legal age of consent. Now, from what I've seen, the age of consent varies between states in the US, from 16 to 18. Upon checking it appears that in the state of California (which is where this happened), it's 18, so yeah, in this instance, it would be rape from a legal standpoint. The reason why you'll see people like the poster you quoted or myself arguing is because there is an element of arbitrarity to that age limit. I don't believe that because you're one year younger than the legal age of consent you should be exempt of responsibility and the other should be treated as a rapist, but I guess you can't argue against the law by just saying "it shouldn't work this way", and I do not have a better solution

royalan

Having sex with a old enough young boy does not make a monster... I'm pretty sure every man at that age would have wanted to have Sex with a teacher.

I agree with losing her job but I'm not about to sit around and let you guys waste time by throwing her in jail like she murdered someone

The problem arises when you started using phrases like "old enough." What is that supposed mean? Old enough to procreate? Or old enough that it doesn't immediately register is "icky" to you?

Fortunately, the law can't work this way.

besada

Banned

You know that no one here is actually going to throw her in jail, right? That she'll have her day in court for breaking the law, and the court will decide her punishment.

And since she did this in Texas, where the state has strict laws regarding teacher/student relationships, she'll be tried for a felony with a potential penalty of up to twenty years in jail.

You know that no one here is actually going to throw her in jail, right? That she'll have her day in court for breaking the law, and the court will decide her punishment.

And since she did this in Texas, where the state has strict laws regarding teacher/student relationships, she'll be tried for a felony with a potential penalty of up to twenty years in jail.

It always amazes me how long prison sentences you can get in US. 20 years from that. Damn. You don't get that amount of jail even from manslaughter around here. I mean sure she deserves something but 20 years is pretty damn overkill.

besada

Banned
It always amazes me how long prison sentences you can get in US. 20 years from that. Damn. You don't get that amount of jail even from manslaughter around here. I mean sure she deserves something but 20 years is pretty damn overkill.

The Texas law regarding teacher/student sex is one of the toughest in the U.S. I wouldn't disagree that it's overkill. The intention, in theory, is to dissuade teachers from using their students as a pool of sexual candidates, which is reasonable, but the penalties are pretty harsh.

To be fair, though, it's pretty rare that anyone gets hit with the full force of this law. The last case I remember similar to this one wound up being tossed out because no one was comfortable putting a woman away for twenty years because she had consensual sex with a seventeen year old.

Mononoke

Banned
I will always question a full grown adult, who is in a position of power...sleeping with their students. The power/role position is what I find predatory about it. However, in terms of whether it's rape the way we think of rape (ie. physically forced sex, or sex without consent)....I think rape can also happen when someone manipulates someone to have sex, because of their position of power (even if both party's consent). A father could use his position as a father to rape his daughter. Just because she consented, doesn't make it any less wrong (especially if the father was using his power role as a father, to confuse and convince them that it was okay). In this situation, the daughter might consent....but does that make it not rape? I think it is rape.

So I think that same mentality when it comes to teachers and students. I think, it depends on the situation. There have been plenty of students who actually regretted having sex with their teacher, and who ended up messed up mentally because of it. These students came to trust their teacher because of their power role, and the relationship of trust a teacher is supposed to have over their student. And those teachers abused that trust, and started to confuse the student with love...with lust. Rolling Stone actually wrote a really great article on it a long time ago, but they had a piece written about students that ended up messed up as a result of this relationship (despite consenting). The article also addressed the whole aspect of "any guy that age would dream of banging their teacher". And "they are lucky, it's a dream come true" attitude that some people seem to have. And how these students couldn't get any help, due to the attitude people seem to have about them "scoring" with their teacher.

That said, I have no doubt that for some people at that age, maybe they 100% want the sexual relationship, and it will have zero bearing on them. But I still find the relationship to be inappropriate and reprehensible for the teacher. So I guess it would depend purely case by case (I think in a case, where the student is actively trying to pursue the teacher, it's harder to make the case that the power/role position was abused. The teacher should still be fired, but I'm not sure stat rape charge should happen. But I'm a lot more weary in cases where the teacher starts the relationship, or actively pursues a student.)

EDIT: I guess technically, stat rape is based on age...and not consent. So the law is the law. But you get what I mean (I was talking about the overall debate surrounding this, whether certain cases are actual rape, beyond how the law defines it. I actually think it is in a lot of cases. But in some cases maybe not).

The law is there for a reason. Majority of 15 -17-year-olds would say they're mature enough to handle it, but in reality that's very questionable. We had a person in this thread saying that he did it when he was 17 and back then he thought it was awesome, but later it started to feel uncomfortable. You can also see it in how these kids act - they share it to their friends as if they're getting scores. Why does that happen? Because there's this massive pressure from peers that if you get in such a situation, you do the man's job and you're happy about it. And not just from peers, but from society in general.
When you're a teenager and you have that kind of pressure, it's most likely that you're not capable of really thinking it through and you're not capable of thinking how it will really affect your emotions in the long term.

That said, no I don't think the woman was a monster, but she's not innocent either. She should know better and teachers in general should know better (and vast majority of them do of course). And no I wouldn't throw him in the jail for 20 years if I were in charge (in my country she wouldn't get more than 1-3 years at most probably), but she does need to be punished.

Keri

It's such a bad idea to have new teachers (between the ages of 22-24) teaching high school students. They should be able to understand that sleeping with their students is wrong, but a lot of them still view themselves as kids and students. They aren't use to being adults or thinking of themselves as adults.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I will always question a full grown adult, who is in a position of power...sleeping with their students. The power/role position is what I find predatory about it. However, in terms of whether it's rape the way we think of rape (ie. physically forced sex, or sex without consent)....I think rape can also happen when someone manipulates someone to have sex, because of their position of power (even if both party's consent). A father could use his position as a father to rape his daughter. Just because she consented, doesn't make it any less wrong (especially if the father was using his power role as a father, to confuse and convince them that it was okay). In this situation, the daughter might consent....but does that make it not rape? I think it is rape.

So I think that same mentality when it comes to teachers and students. I think, it depends on the situation. There have been plenty of students who actually regretted having sex with their teacher, and who ended up messed up mentally because of it. These students came to trust their teacher because of their power role, and the relationship of trust a teacher is supposed to have over their student. And those teachers abused that trust, and started to confuse the student with love...with lust. Rolling Stone actually wrote a really great article on it a long time ago, but they had a piece written about students that ended up messed up as a result of this relationship (despite consenting). The article also addressed the whole aspect of "any guy that age would dream of banging their teacher". And "they are lucky, it's a dream come true" attitude that some people seem to have. And how these students couldn't get any help, due to the attitude people seem to have about them "scoring" with their teacher.

That said, I have no doubt that for some people at that age, maybe they 100% want the sexual relationship, and it will have zero bearing on them. But I still find the relationship to be inappropriate and reprehensible for the teacher. So I guess it would depend purely case by case (I think in a case, where the student is actively trying to pursue the teacher, it's harder to make the case that the power/role position was abused. The teacher should still be fired, but I'm not sure stat rape charge should happen. But I'm a lot more weary in cases where the teacher starts the relationship, or actively pursues a student.)

EDIT: I guess technically, stat rape is based on age...and not consent. So the law is the law. But you get what I mean (I was talking about the overall debate surrounding this, whether certain cases are actual rape, beyond how the law defines it. I actually think it is in a lot of cases. But in some cases maybe not).

Okay, this I can get behind. Very cogent argument. Good post.

Yado

Wouldn't bat an eyelid if she went to jail for this to be honest. She knew what was at stake and she did it anyway.

I'm sorry but there is no argument here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with two consenting adults having sex regardless of their profession. If you have a problem with it that's fine, just know that you are wrong. It's now nearing the end of 2014 and people should be allowed to pursue whatever form of happiness and joy they want as long as it isn't hurting anyone.

Banning two adults from having consensual sex simply because you assume it's an abuse of power is making an exception to the rule that people are innocent until proven guilty.

Tldr: The real reason schools don't want this happening is because it makes the school look bad.

-edit- What Kilrog said makes sense and still doesn't contradict what I said.

I agree, but I don't think that's the same situation in this story at all. It sounds like the student was the initiator in it, and was fully aware of what he was looking for. It's still wrong, but I don't think this was a case of someone in a position of power abusing it. It was a case of two people physically attracted to one another having a sexual relation

Mononoke

Banned
I agree, but I don't think that's the same situation in this story at all. It sounds like the student was the initiator in it, and was fully aware of what he was looking for. It's still wrong, but I don't think this was a case of someone in a position of power abusing it. It was a case of two people physically attracted to one another having a sexual relation

Oh I know, I was just talking in general (as the debate kind of always goes to the much larger topic). Personally, I think the teacher should be fired. If he was underage (according to the law), I guess technically she can be charged with stat rape. Do I personally think it's rape...no. If the student was actively pursuing it, then I don't see how her power/role position was abused, or had any impact on his consent.

I'm sorry but there is no argument here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with two consenting adults having sex regardless of their profession. If you have a problem with it that's fine, just know that you are wrong. It's now nearing the end of 2014 and people should be allowed to pursue whatever form of happiness and joy they want as long as it isn't hurting anyone.

Banning two adults from having consensual sex simply because you assume it's an abuse of power is making an exception to the rule that people are innocent until proven guilty.

Tldr: The real reason schools don't want this happening is because it makes the school look bad.

-edit- What Kilrog said makes sense and still doesn't contradict what I said.

A teacher should be fired for sleeping with their student. I can accept your views that it shouldn't be law (if both are consenting). Fine. But there is no way that a teacher and student sexual relationship is appropriate. Also, I don't think power rules/abuse should be over looked. I agree not all cases are THIS...but there are plenty of cases where the victim consented because of their confusion due to the power/roles.

This isn't always a black and white issue like people make it out to be (it's rape, they are a predator. It's not rape, it was just consenting sex of two adults). Maybe it can be, but I think this should probably be looked at case by case, instead of blanket views.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom