• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Game is great and looks great.

I come into the thread about Sunset Overdrive to talk about the game and the first post I see is dreams of PC port for wonderful 60fps? And other bickering about 1080p, 60fps. Fucking hell.

Jesus, take it elsewhere, no-one here gives a shit. Its only on Xbox One, its published by Microsoft, its 900p and 30fps, deal with it.

Everything worked with the preloading and region switching? :)

Yep! All good here.

10/10 would buy from the US store again :p

SURGEdude

Would look better at 4k downscale and 120fps, damn you Mattrick why did you not make a console a $2000 machine! Also damn you developers for not having at least a 10 man super team who focus solely on graphic optimization, also damn you for making a game this early on a hardware cycle at sub resolution.

Sorry, I just hate people complaining about numbers and especially using such low terms as "crappy" when it comes to visuals as not one of the next-gen games that has been sub 1080p has looked crappy...

Whew way to totally miss the main points of the post to make me sound unreasonable. And I'm not comparing it to a $2000 anything, just other games on the Xbox and that other similarly priced but differently speced console. The art is fantastic yes, but the textures are poor. Sorry that bums you out but it's just how I see it. Check out Infamous for a game that has a boring artstyle(and gameply imho) but far more next-geny graphics.

That said in motion it looks quite nice so it isn't a big deal and a reasonable trade-off. You are almost always hauling ass. The gameplay is pretty sublime and I'm really impressed how well the mechanics mesh with the level design. Metacritic puts it in the low to mid 80s atm but so far I'm having a 9/10 time with it. Certainly more fun than I had in Infamous which did everything right on paper but just never seemed like much fun.

Don't know if it applies in that specific area, but the best thing I've gotten down is do the grind where you're hanging under it, then hit X and A in succession to get a really high jump off the rail.

I definitely want an amp for an air dash, and would like to see what other traversal ones they have like higher bounce jumps.
There's one where you can grind across water by pressing the grind button...it's glorious.

BokehKing

Banned
Derail successful.

Seemed pretty obvious that's what the post was going for.

I laughed at this because you grind on rails so much in this game (which is cool, my favorite parts from Ratchet and Clank) that I thought maybe "derail successful" was some sort of in game achievement

SURGEdude

Did you experience anything other than a rock solid 30 fps? Because that's what I got in the first 45 minutes of the game.

No I can't say I did. Based on early reports I feared it would dip, but as far as I can tell it holds 30 perfectly. A really nice surprise and godsend considering the gameplay is hectic fun.

Another fun surprise was the humor. It certainly won't appeal to everyone but I dig it. Fits the bright over-the-top feel nicely.

Ugggghhhh.

Some people cannot help themselves.

Anyway, expanding on my thoughts on the game:

I really like it, the weapons are fun, traversal is great although I will need a little long to adjust and get used to it so I'm moving round more freely.

The world looks great though, runs at silky smooth 30fps, I'm glad there aren't any drops when theres lots on screen (that I've seen anyway)

I like bouncing around on cars

BokehKing

Banned
Metacritic puts it in the low to mid 80s atm but so far I'm having a 9/10 time with it. Certainly more fun than I had in Infamous which did everything right on paper but just never seemed like much fun.
1)metacritic is dumb, they have low scoring games and TV shows I think are 9/10 all the time

2)didnt play SSOD but I think I will end up agreeing, though gorgeous, inFamous was boring by the time I got to the 3rd power, this game looks like a acid flashback

The wait until November 2nd will be a pain, I pray that the slim xbone is not sexy at all because I don't think I can wait that long

Waiting for my order to arrive. This, Horizon, Infamous, and TLOU are the only worthwhile exclusives right now in my book. All the launch games for both systems + Titanfall were all duds to me. Enjoyable duds but duds none the less.

Krilekk

Banned
That moment when the controls click and everything just seemlessly flows together ... AWESOME! A lot of smart decisions went into this, like being able to dash over water. And the story (with the nerds right now) is entertaining and keeps me going. I love that you can fight enemies whenever you want but it doesn't force you to do so. Unlocks happen simply by using stuff. I had my reservations because a 10 minute stage demo just doesn't do the game any favors and it felt clunky and annoying when I first played it. But after an hour the controls become so intuitive and they just work. Have to get used to wallrunning still, though.

My GOTY so far.

Can anyone please tell me this has a lot of input lag/delay or not? I am extremely sensitive to it and it will take all of the enjoyment out of the game.

I really want to buy this but after Fuse, i'm worried this suffers also from lot's of input lag (maybe it has something to do with their engine? idk)

My favorite mission so far is when I...
got to the final "fetch" mission with the geek faction where you need to ascend a huge apartment tower complex. The Fizzie baloon is circling you as you slowly grind and climb your way up. He says some really funny things.

Has anyone else seen the
Invisible Wall by Fizzco yet? It's an actual invisible wall that says that on it, to make fun of itself and other games that just block off access to areas lol. I laughed at that one.

The respawns are flipping awesome.

Does anyone know if there is a place to track the weekly challenge? Sunset TV says that it is to kill 200 blowers with the flaming compensator, but I don't see anywhere you can track it.

Hey there!

The 'challenges" they talk about are actual achievement challenges, so you will need to snap or load up the achievement app to see your progress in the weekly/bi-weekly challenges. There are community challenges too which I think are bi-weekly which look pretty damn fun. For instance, as a community, kill 1.5 million OD within two weeks which is going on now.

Whew way to totally miss the main points of the post to make me sound unreasonable. And I'm not comparing it to a $2000 anything, just other games on the Xbox and that other similarly priced but differently speced console. The art is fantastic yes, but the textures are poor. Sorry that bums you out but it's just how I see it. Check out Infamous for a game that has a boring artstyle(and gameply imho) but far more next-geny graphics.

just stop it please

Anybody knows why the game still says
"pre-order" and its unavailable in the store for me? Ordered from Hong Kong store.

afaik it's only available at the US store

Blu10

Sat down to play for 5 minutes before work. Ended up playing for 30, and now I'm late for work. Should have taken the day off. Had a blast thus far.

JambiBum

Hey there!

The 'challenges" they talk about are actual achievement challenges, so you will need to snap or load up the achievement app to see your progress in the weekly/bi-weekly challenges. There are community challenges too which I think are bi-weekly which look pretty damn fun. For instance, as a community, kill 1.5 million OD within two weeks which is going on now.

Thanks.

Netprints

I didn't digital preload this game, but I am wondering how well it worked for people who did. Did it unlock at 12est? Just curious, I know forza horizon 2 had issues so I want to make sure they fixed that(before halo mcc). Glad people are liking it. Will get my copy after work from best buy

hwalker84

I didn't digital preload this game, but I am wondering how well it worked for people who did. Did it unlock at 12est? Just curious, I know forza horizon 2 had issues so I want to make sure they fixed that(before halo mcc). Glad people are liking it. Will get my copy after work from best buy

Unlocked at 12:01 EST for me.

Amazon tracking shows the game will arrive tomorrow; seems like SO is going to be a nice change of pace from playing Alien!

Thanks for all the kind words about the OT too, I appreciate it!

The game is crowded with references to ther games or shows. Just did a mission featuring
Jess from BB, and all the dialogs were from the show.

Loved it.

Bgamer90

Banned

Yeah, this was fine; unlocked at 12:01AM (EST) for me.

I had problems with Forza Horizon 2 also.

If the Destiny patch doesn't come out today, I will be buying it after work. (I'll be buying it this year anyway, just a matter of timing)

Dude it's so good. So fun.

Traversal when you're doing it? Almost too fast as you miss all the great detail of the world. Combat is a total dream and enemy density is a jawdropper.

Also, humor wise, the duds are few and far between. It's way smarter than grumps as giving it credit for.

I'd say most complaints about the tone are really the latest salvos in contemporary culture's sad War on Enthusiasm.

Don't be a soldier in its wretched campaign, my friend.

E92 M3

Dude it's so good. So fun.

Traversal when you're doing it? Almost too fast as you miss all the great detail of the world. Combat is a total dream and enemy density is a jawdropper.

Also, humor wise, the duds are few and far between. It's way smarter than grumps as giving it credit for.

I'd say most complaints about the tone are really the latest salvos in contemporary culture's sad War on Enthusiasm.

Don't be a soldier in its wretched campaign, my friend.

Oh yeah, I figured the cynics where the loudest one. I am not the type to take anything seriously in video games - so Sunset is perfect. Chances are I'll be buying it at work - all of this positivity is too much to control. Not to mention, if JSR+Crackdown is an accurate statement then I must totally have this game in my blood.

Tarahiro

Heh super jealous of everyone playing now! I've had it preordered for a while but I went to a lock in at my local GAME last night and got to play it for a bit and all that did was make me more excited for the release on Friday :p

So yeah, getting game on Friday. GT is Tarahiro if anyone wants to play some multiplayer :)

JaggedSac

The presentation on the game is so slick and smooth. Nice to see when devs put some thought into the elements that allow the game to flow from one thing to the next. Traversal is fun and feels great when you pull off some nice chains. My only issue is sometimes I am trying to grind and it does a roll instead.

Kssio_Aug

Just played a bit here, and my feelings are mixed! I'm confident about the game but still finding the controls a bit confusing, I guess thats because I'm used to inFamous and this game plays in a very different way!

Graphically, just as I expected its not oustanding, but the artistic level of it compensates easily! It is a nice looking game!

I've just done that first mission to protect the base to acquire 3 new amps. I can see that amps have an important hole in this game, indeed!

The game is not slow at all imo! At the start it is pretty hard to keep grinding and killing enemies, I always do something wrong! But as I said, I'm still not familiar with the controls and am doing lots of mistakes, I guess when I get used to it and get more amps it will become crazier and crazier to play!

However it plays good! The shooting is very satsfying imo! It is really good to set enemies on fire with the compensator, or eletrify them with the amped discs!! And I'm sure there are many many many greater weapons in this game!

Just played 1 hour. Now I need to study! May try again later tonight, or maybe tomorrow!

Top Bottom