• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

My target got 0 of the bundles. what?

Wasted time before work
So, I was mildly irritated by the news that consoles will go on sale for 349.99 Nov 2nd having pre-ordered a Sunset Overdrive Xbox One Bundle from Gamestop. I don't normally do pre-orders but I was under the impression it was the only way to get a white xbox one. While I'm still not happy about the news, it does look like it's nearly impossible to find any of the SO bundles online outside of perhaps walmart. Amazon,Target, Bestbuy, and Target all appear to be out of stock. So at a minimum, at least I'm getting the white xbox one. I imagine due to the success of sales, MS will produce more, but if I want the white console I don't know how I can really bargain with Gamestop. I doubt Gamestop has any incentive to award/honor customers the price change. Still kind of a bummer though.

Oh yeah, I figured the cynics where the loudest one. I am not the type to take anything seriously in video games - so Sunset is perfect. Chances are I'll be buying it at work - all of this positivity is too much to control. Not to mention, if JSR+Crackdown is an accurate statement then I must totally have this game in my blood.

It's pretty accurate. I only wish it had more collectibles. But it has a fair amount.

I have a weird suspicion that when Crackdown launches, they're going to patch in 200 agility orbs in the city. That would be so This Game.

Raide

Meh, will probably trade in Destiny to get this. Not played Destiny in a week or two, no interest is paying for a few strikes. SO looks way more fun and will fill the gap while I wait for MCC.

Dude it's so good. So fun.

Traversal when you're doing it? Almost too fast as you miss all the great detail of the world. Combat is a total dream and enemy density is a jawdropper.

Also, humor wise, the duds are few and far between. It's way smarter than grumps as giving it credit for.

I'd say most complaints about the tone are really the latest salvos in contemporary culture's sad War on Enthusiasm.

Don't be a soldier in its wretched campaign, my friend.

Nailed it on the head. The game is damn fun. I've been playing for 3 hours+ straight. Traversal is a blast, I hope inFamous learns a thing or two as you feel like a bad ass super hero just cruising through the city. I am most surprised at how fast it is. You really can be hailing ass and the air dash makes it so easy to just breeze through an area. I like the controls as it almost feels like your pulling off combos and skillful moves left and right because of how the are mapped. It's great. I can see a lot of people struggling with the controls as there are so many options available for you at any given point.

OrangeOak

WOW this game is fun as hell.For the first 10-20 minutes I didn't knew what to think outside of that it is really pretty and colorful but when I got some more weapons and learned how to move through the map it quickly became one of the most fun games that I have played lately.
I keep forgeting about the missions and stuff that I am supposed to do and just grind and bounce through the map shooting monsters and boosting that style meter.It's so fluid and fun that it's really hard to stop when you start doing it.
Lack of day/night cycle is little dissapointing though.Also game could use some better AA solution or higher res.It's minor complain though because it looks really nice either way.
Are there some other daytimes or is it only day and night without any variations?

GRaider81

Quick one hour impression,,

Very slick presentation.
Graphics good but not outstanding and a few minor technical issues. Art style more than makes up for it.
Combat and shooting is fun.
Traversal, best thing about it, great movement and style.
Controls a bit difficult to get used too but that will come.
So far nothing to cringey humour wise, already had a breaking bad reference.
Fear it might get a little repetitive.

Overall thought it is good fun so far.

E92 M3

It's pretty accurate. I only wish it had more collectibles. But it has a fair amount.

I have a weird suspicion that when Crackdown launches, they're going to patch in 200 agility orbs in the city. That would be so This Game.

Can the collectibles be tracked in game? I really like how Prototype II did it. Or is it the type where we have to cross items out on a piece of paper lol?

I gotta say I thought the high fidelity(record gun) was just a generic bouncy projectile weapon that is in almost all R&C games but playing around with the gun it feels so different yet does the same exact thing and i like.

FrankT

Meh, will probably trade in Destiny to get this. Not played Destiny in a week or two, no interest is paying for a few strikes. SO looks way more fun and will fill the gap while I wait for MCC.

I'm probably doing this on Sunday. Best Buy doing extra 50% trade in this Sunday and I'm just simply tired of the game.

Think I will trade in mordor for this awesome game. The open world just looks so fun to move around in, and I love that the dlc is mainly single player stuff.

Dude it's so good. So fun.

Traversal when you're doing it? Almost too fast as you miss all the great detail of the world. Combat is a total dream and enemy density is a jawdropper.

Also, humor wise, the duds are few and far between. It's way smarter than grumps as giving it credit for.

I'd say most complaints about the tone are really the latest salvos in contemporary culture's sad War on Enthusiasm.

Don't be a soldier in its wretched campaign, my friend

Brilliant post, sir.

p3tran

Banned
Not Japanese either. You're 0/2 at the moment.
:D
well, first one sure had skillz in character creation. no doubt about that. :)
plus he is laughing a lot. (another good skill)
second link, name's quicksniper, should have skillz, right?

(this is because steverulez stream is skipping and choppy for me :p )
oh, and fuck my HK preload that unlocks sometime late tomorrow

Yeah, this whole ganging up against someone for pointing graphical flaws within the game is some petty shit. If the graphical flaws do not bother you guys, perfectly fine. Don't shit on a dude with "lol" and "nice derail". Highly unnecessary.

Pointing out graphical flaws are one thing. Comparing one box to another in every thread is another.

But I'll have to redownload the whole game right?

Edit: Uhh now it's gone to 52% downloaded.

No, So at the moment, if you pinned it, you'll have a the pre-order pinned. click it, go to manage and select "install". Then launch it. Should be good to go. :)

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
No, So at the moment, if you pinned it, you'll have a the pre-order pinned. click it, go to manage and select "install". Then launch it. Should be good to go. :)

Seems like its re-downloading the whole thing again. Same shit happened with Destiny. >_>

ekim

Played 2 hours straight and I'm really liking it so far. The game has an amazing pace up to this point. You are always progressing which is huge motivation. The traversal challenges are addictive.

Sabotage

Caved in and bought the Deluxe edition... I LOVED Jet Set/Grind Radio (Future) and this looks to be a spiritual successor... with guns... which is a bonus!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Played this last night up to the mission on the bridge.

It's really really fun.

I currently am not very good, but I'm getting there. The first night defense mission took me two tries to get through, but then I started figuring out weapon combos and how to keep a grind going.

This game is absolutely insane old-school fun times. The amount of stuff it expects you to keep up with at once is really great. The combo of traversal and shooting with the number of baddies swarming you at once is phenomenal.

The JSRF feels are real. And anyone complaining about slow are dead wrong. The dash is maybe a hair too much speed for me to keep up with right now.

Why is the 2nd gun you get so shit? It doesn't kill anyone! The dirty harry and compensator are so much better. Maybe I'm using it wrong....

StoOgE

Also,

want to weigh in on the humor.

I've chuckled more than I've not chuckled. Disembodied voice is great. The main character playing SO on his phone god a nice chuckle.

I've not busted out laughing yet, but the jokes aren't missing and nothing cringe inducing on my end yet.

Kssio_Aug

How easy is it to find chaos squad with 8 members?
I just tried here for the 1st time (right when the 1st cabin show up) and it may have took for me over two minutes to find a match, and there was 6 members. I'm not sure, but I think it is my connection. But can someone tell me how is it?

StoOgE

Why is the 2nd gun you get so shit? It doesn't kill anyone! The dirty harry and compensator are so much better. Maybe I'm using it wrong....

Put your stun amp on that gun (High Frequency I'm guessing?) and fire off a bunch of rounds to stun the horde then hit them with flaming compensator to set them on fire and then dirty harry to blast to bits.

You know, while grinding and not dying.

StoOgE

How easy is it to find chaos squad with 8 members?
I just tried here for the 1st time (right when the 1st cabin show up) and it may have took for me over two minutes to find a match, and there was 6 members. I'm not sure, but I think it is my connection. But can someone tell me how is it?

It's also 10 AM on the East Coast on a Tuesday.

Check your NAT setting on Xbox One, you may need to set up port forwarding to get matches more easily.

Put your stun amp on that gun (High Frequency I'm guessing?) and fire off a bunch of rounds to stun the horde then hit them with flaming compensator to set them on fire and then dirty harry to blast to bits.

You know, while grinding and not dying.
Ah ok I'm at the mission when I'm about to get that amp so I guess I'll just wait. I'm very early on.

So you're constantly changing guns on the fly? I'd prefer if you could use the dpad for gun shifts,I have to get used to the hold lb and move right stick I guess.

Played this last night up to the mission on the bridge.

It's really really fun.

I currently am not very good, but I'm getting there. The first night defense mission took me two tries to get through, but then I started figuring out weapon combos and how to keep a grind going.

This game is absolutely insane old-school fun times. The amount of stuff it expects you to keep up with at once is really great. The combo of traversal and shooting with the number of baddies swarming you at once is phenomenal.

The JSRF feels are real. And anyone complaining about slow are dead wrong. The dash is maybe a hair too much speed for me to keep up with right now.

So true. The JSR(F) spirit is within this game for sure. The SEGA fanboy in me wants to claim GotY after only a couple hours of play. I'm gonna enjoy this one.

Played a couple hours last night and this game is freaking great man. They absolutely nailed the traversal here to a point where simple fetch quests are way more fun then they should be. This game needs to be played to really get it I think as they absolutely nailed the controls here and once you figure it out its incredibly fun.

My only complaint right now would be that the fourth wall stuff is totally immersion killing... They craft this beautiful, rich and alive (another thing OMG it's alive... Traversing around seeing OD chasing random dudes... So cool) and they totally just break that immersion by throwing in your face that it's just a videogame.

Other then that the comedy is indeed hit or miss. I've laughed out loud a few times but never have I cringed at the comedy.

Another very mild complaint is that the voice on the male does not fit the biggest body type IMO

Was not aware that's what he did. Regardless, I read a sensible and detailed post from him re: his impressions and people hand picked two short sentences and harped on him for that. That's what I saw.

Despite wrapped in good humor, that's a tad flippant and dismissive, Ben. :) People have tastes and they do not necessarily go hand in hand with cynicism. People do not need a blind fold on in the name of happy, happy, joy, joy.

I said "most" not "all". Most of the humor in the game I've seen is really smart about games, and the overwhelming driving energy of the game is not, to me, the humor of it, but the enthusiasm of the design and the tone. Focus on the few jokes that fall flat instead of the overarching philosophy of every other aspect of the game is pretty cynical to me.

So is dismissing my opinion as "happy happy joy joy" for that matter. Although I'm always game for a good Ren and Stimpy reference.

Top Bottom