• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
so things I got while playing online, money, overcharge, clothes of all types, amp upgrades and I unlocked a weapon the taunt bot

So far I've unlocked 2 clothes and lots of money and weapon boosts.

Not sure why the gods don't like me. I normally get at least 3-4 spins too :(

So can I not buy every amp in the game? I've collected everything (well, all the amp making items) but I am left needing two amps which cost 15 and 20 Fizzie balloons each but I only have 5 left. I also have 15 shoes left over?

EDIT: Apparently there is a glitch that causes some amps to reappear for purchase. So I see Shock Therapy level one in the shop even though I have Shock Therapy Level two.

Bloom though, I don't own. I wonder if I wasted fizzie balloons on an amp I re-purchased?

Hate not having everything :(

dankir

Well the Neon Sign acheivement finally unlocked for me while I was offline I guess. I booted the game up and it was unlocked.

After beating the Downtown chaos 5 times with always a little bit less than 1625 finally did it just now.

1000/1000 finally!

Krilekk

Banned
Finished the game, took me 22 hours for all quests, side quests and about 2/3 of the collectibles (got them while doing the campaign). I have had an amazing time with this game. Thanks, Insomniac. I had my doubts after a ten minute demo but you created a masterpiece.

So I took at look at Insomniac Games forums. Apparently playing night defense missions subtracts amp making items from your inventory but it shouldn't. Fix should be included in the eventual patch.

Advice to those just starting: Collect all the extra items in the game and buy the amps BEFORE tackling the challenge missions.

dankir

So I took at look at Insomniac Games forums. Apparently playing night defense missions subtracts amp making items from your inventory but it shouldn't. Fix should be included in the eventual patch.

Advice to those just starting: Collect all the extra items in the game and buy the amps BEFORE tackling the challenge missions.

Hmmm it always had a the red "New" text besides my amps list during my playthrough even though I couldn't find any new amps listed. Wierd and I did end up buying everything from Floyd and had about 15 shoes and 5 signs left over.

Hmmm it always had a the red "New" text besides my amps list during my playthrough even though I couldn't find any new amps listed. Wierd and I did end up buying everything from Floyd and had about 15 shoes and 5 signs left over.
The constant "new" text is another known bug.

Pachinko

Well I polished off the main story in this tonight. It was good, pretty fun but I can see room for improvement for the inevitable sequel in 2 years.

Getting the easy to judge stuff out of the way - the graphics were good, overall artsyle and atmosphere of the game gelled together well. Music suited the game and well, I'll just be blunt - it looked and sounded great and I'm not too sure how much more could be done to make the overall experience much better than what it is that wouldn't have taken another year or 2 of technical wizardry. I expect a sequel will probably look even better just because , more time, etc etc.

The gameplay though, it's honestly a blast. This game is pretty much Jet Set Radio with Ratchet and clanks weapon set and dead risings sense of fun and customization. It actually goes further than any DR title though by letting you customize your character beyond clothing. The minute to minute gameplay that has the player hopping , grinding , flipping and wall running all over while firing off an interesting variety of ever more potent weaponry is just fantastic stuff. The player is constantly rewarded for taking the harder route- staying within a combo to keep the multiplier up which results in more entertaining amps versus doing a giant ground pound that takes out more enemies at once.

To that end the number of missions and overall mission variety is pretty good, nothing feels like it repeats exactly the same way so the campaign doesn't end up feeling padded out BUT , because of this we get to my handful of issues. By the time I'd finished the story mode I couldn't help but feel they could have included 1 more set of missions and perhaps 1 more boss encounter. As well, to give the player a constant stream of rewards for exploring the city there are 5 different collectable items scattered throughout the city. 150 of EACH item = a crap ton of collecting junk. Very little of it is required to finish the game off thankfully but I can't help but feel a bit jipped that only 25% or so of what I assume to be the total playtime should you go back and grab all these items while doing all the trials and buying everything takes. Next time I kind of hope the ratio is closer to 50/50. The boss fights in this game were also very well done , playing to the games strengths quite well but as I said above, I would have liked just 1 more in the middle maybe.

I did not try out the multiplayer yet , those modes usually do little for me but maybe I'll give it a try at some point.

So far the only game I can really compare this to directly is Infamous SS on PS4 and I'd say I had more fun playing this , they are both a similar length and do quite a bit of enjoyable things but Sunset has higher highs and not as many lulls. It comes down even more to how silly an atmosphere you can tolerate though. Sunset Overdrive NEVER takes itself seriously at all. There is a big goofy story with ridiculous characters and the 4th wall might as well not exist , individual appreciation of these elements will vary and I would add that overall enjoyment of the game as a whole can depend directly on your tolerance for this games humor. For me it was a plus.

BusterJol

Anybody else get a message from Xbox thanking you for playing Sunset Overdrive and got a code for an exclusive vanity pack? It has 7 items in it.

danowat

Banned
just got a message from xbox live that said thanks for playing and gave me a code for 7 in game items

Interesting, I'll have to stick the game on and see if I've got anything!

Edit :, Just done the MS survey, and besides them wanting to know my ethnicity (bizarre), it appears that a sequel to SSOD isn't set in stone, so do the survey, and make it clear we want one!!

No message for for free items for me either.

Goddamn it. I've been the games biggest supporter and this is how you repay me?

Well I say Good Day Sir to you Insomniac.

Marvel

could never
Loving this game now, took me a while to figure it out. It all clicked the other night when I got air dash.

not really sure what qualifies someone for the dlc items. I got all the achievements in less than a week, and havent touched the game since then...just waiting for dlc

MCD

My character always starts up bald when loading campaign...

Why lol

OK. Solved the nasty bald bug.

It was due to wearing "Hoddie (Sleeveless)" + any Top Outwear. Insomniac, fix this shit and give me my free goodies, DAMMIT.

Loving this game now, took me a while to figure it out. It all clicked the other night when I got air dash.

Yeah, air dash is where the game really starts to come together and you start nailing traversal.

Double bounce with air dash into grind into dive bomb jump into dash into wall run into grind into water dash into double bounce...

Oh my,

OK. Solved the nasty bald bug.

It was due to wearing "Hoddie (Sleeveless)" + any Top Outwear. Insomniac, fix this shit and give me my free goodies, DAMMIT.

I've noticed my character's white superhero suit is blue when the game first starts up but quickly changes back to white after the camera punch.

It's pop in, but it always raises a smile as the suit looks just as good in blue as it does white.

...and they didn´t give me my Sitzpinkler LE either!

The sheer never and arrogance to turn their backs on the fans who made them what they are is staggering.

Marvel

could never
Yeah, air dash is where the game really starts to come together and you start nailing traversal.

Double bounce with air dash into grind into dive bomb jump into dash into wall run into grind into water dash into double bounce...

Oh my,

That sounds lovely.

Oh and this game is hilarious, been a while since I legit laughed out loud from a games writing.

Hammer24

Banned
The sheer never and arrogance to turn their backs on the fans who made them what they are is staggering.

*nods vigorously

Whatcha gonna say now, Sailor Stevenson?!

Edit: HA! So bitching does work! Just got my Vanity Pack. Thank you Mr Stevenson, Sir! You know I still love you...

neorej

ERMYGERD!
What weapons are you guys using against Wingers? I unload almost my entire supply of Dragon Fireworks into them to no avail :(

psychotron

Anybody else get a message from Xbox thanking you for playing Sunset Overdrive and got a code for an exclusive vanity pack? It has 7 items in it.

Yupp. Woke up to my phone saying I had a smartglass message. Not sure why I received it unless it's truly random for people that've played the game.

Top Bottom