• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

BpctGb1.png

OItpinL.gif

Just got the game and I'm feeling the exact same. On paper, it's everything I love about games, but the whole package doesn't come together at all. And the humor is horrible.

It's more Tony Hawk than Jet Set Radio, but without the tricks, or Graffiti attack, with a side of perpetual horde mode.

An hour in and I'm think I'm good off this game.

Disappointment of the year.

I'm not the biggest fan of the game's humor either but the game gets immensely better if you stick with it.

abadguy

Banned
Just got the game and I'm feeling the exact same. On paper, it's everything I love about games, but the whole package doesn't come together at all. And the humor is horrible.

It's more Tony Hawk than Jet Set Radio, but without the tricks, or Graffiti attack, with a side of perpetual horde mode.

An hour in and I'm think I'm good off this game.

Disappointment of the year.
An hour? Shit , man you haven't even gotten the air dash yet.

Think I must be at the tail end of the game,
Just had the benefit concert.

The game is too much fun, doing all the side quests now in an effort to stave off the end of the campaign.

dralla

I finally got into a Chaos Squad match last night. I had no idea what was going on and we ended up failing the defense mission at the end. I did end up getting a TNTeddy+, it says 'Boost' next to it in the menu now, I'm assuming it got a small stat boost? Chaos Squad is nuts, so much stuff going on. I wished the matchmaking worked properly so I could get into games quicker, I'd play it more if I could. I think I'm up to the last story mission. I still have some side quests to do and some challenges. It sucks that it doesn't show you which challenges you've beaten already grrr! And there's a weapon pack next week? To buy or not, because I've already basically beaten the game..

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I finished the game a few days ago, but I don't have enough Overcharge to buy the rest of the collectible maps. Is there a good way (any particular quest or challenge) to get it without playing Chaos Squad? I've tried grinding OD, but I'm not getting much even with the amp that rewards more Overcharge.

Have you smashed all the vending machines and opened the delivery trucks?

anyone have issues with glitched achievements, I just did the criteria for all taggings and got all toilet paper and no achievements. Both show as 97% complete but I can say with 100% certainty I got all of them

ok just had both randomly pop after I restarted my console and played the game for a short while

keit4

Banned
I finished the game yesterday. It's one of those cases in which the more you play the better it gets. Some points:

- Gameplay-wise the game is smooth and fluid, it never feels slow or heavy.
- Despite being similar tasks the game does an amazing job making each mission feel fresh and unique.
- The weapons are amazing. I had a lot of fun using most of them.
- The humour fails more than it succeeds, but still laughed a lot.
- Love the light-hearted aesthetics and the color :)

Probably my favourite non-Nintendo game this year.

Is the multiplayer worth it?

Vitor711

This game has made me dislike Infamous in retrospect. This is how you do fun, open world combat that remains challenging and stylish. Super impressed and it totally wasn't on my radar. In fact, from all the prerelease footage, I actually thought it was going to turn out average to poor, like Fuse. How wrong I was.

and it's happened again with the eavesdropping achievement, anyone else got buggy achievements?

and another that hasn't unlocked this one for upgrading all vats, WTF is going on?

dankir

Seems my Neon Sign achievement is glitched. Found them all today and it didn't unlock. Should I reinstall?

If anybody wants the best way to farm overdrive. Replay the mission Hero's Duty from the end of the game.

Here's a clip I took of it.

Equip the Muderang (Level 5) with "Mine all mine" amp to gain extra overcharge from killing OD and Fizzbots(who drop more overcharge)

I also had the magnetic attraction amp which pulls in money and overdrive from further as well. Not necessary but optional

also optional is a level 2 Lightening strike awesome amp.

Overdrives (all Level 4)

Equip the 100% increase in automatic weapon ammo
Increase Automatic weapon damage but decrease deployable weapon damage
Increase damage to Fizzbots by 25%
increase damage to OD by 25%
Increase damage to Fizzbots by 50% but damage to player by 10%

Just grind back and forth on the rails between the red bridge. I've been able to get about 250 overcharge each pass through the bridge and about 7500 - 10000 overcharge in about 12 - 15 minutes.

Murderang will kill fizzbots and OD in a single hit, you don't really have to worry about the ammo as it replenishes on its own but you will have less ammo over time. But it lasts much much longer than the other weapons.

Just aim at some enemies hold the fire button down shoot about 5 - 7 murderangs and pull in the overcharge. Switch directions when you exit the bridge and repeat.

Sometimes the missles that are being fired from the Zepplins will hit you but it's very easy to start again.

And once your done, simply abandon and there's the weapons dealer just a few hundred feet away by the water filtration area.

dralla

Ugh I think my game is glitched. I completed a side quest but it's not ending. It's still active like it's ongoing. No reward screen. And the side quest "Re-Quests", I hit Y to talk to the lady to start it but noting happens. I have no more quests to do, only the final (?) story mission, I wanted to finish all the side quests :(

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Ugh I think my game is glitched. I completed a side quest but it's not ending. It's still active like it's ongoing. No reward screen. And the side quest "Re-Quests", I hit Y to talk to the lady to start it but noting happens. I have no more quests to do, only the final (?) story mission, I wanted to finish all the side quests :(

try killing the game and restarting it (home button -> menu button -> quit game).

if that fails. hit menu and you can abandon the quest.

Do you have sound on? There's dialog when you try to start re-quest that should clear that up.

shiba5

Seems my Neon Sign achievement is glitched. Found them all today and it didn't unlock. Should I reinstall?

If anybody wants the best way to farm overdrive. Replay the mission Hero's Duty from the end of the game.

Here's a clip I took of it.

Equip the Muderang (Level 5) with "Mine all mine" amp to gain extra overcharge from killing OD and Fizzbots(who drop more overcharge)

I also had the magnetic attraction amp which pulls in money and overdrive from further as well. Not necessary but optional

also optional is a level 2 Lightening strike awesome amp.

Overdrives (all Level 4)

Equip the 100% increase in automatic weapon ammo
Increase Automatic weapon damage but decrease deployable weapon damage
Increase damage to Fizzbots by 25%
increase damage to OD by 25%
Increase damage to Fizzbots by 50% but damage to player by 10%

Just grind back and forth on the rails between the red bridge. I've been able to get about 250 overcharge each pass through the bridge and about 7500 - 10000 overcharge in about 12 - 15 minutes.

Murderang will kill fizzbots and OD in a single hit, you don't really have to worry about the ammo as it replenishes on its own but you will have less ammo over time. But it lasts much much longer than the other weapons.

Just aim at some enemies hold the fire button down shoot about 5 - 7 murderangs and pull in the overcharge. Switch directions when you exit the bridge and repeat.

Sometimes the missles that are being fired from the Zepplins will hit you but it's very easy to start again.

And once your done, simply abandon and there's the weapons dealer just a few hundred feet away by the water filtration area.

Thanks!!

Fuchsdh

Well... damn. I'm going through the last collectibles I need, and grabbed all my sightseeing locations and overcharge signs... except I didn't realize my Kinect hadn't signed me in. So am I screwed out of those achievements?

dankir

Okay so I started playing Dragon Age and randomly one of the Sunset achievements that I should have gotten earlier unlocked.

Still haven't gotten the Neon Sign one yet. Very strange.

Montresor

Gross, now Sunset Overdrive has like a billion friggin challenges. Jesus Christ man. http://www.trueachievements.com/Sunset-Overdrive/challenges.htm. This challenge starts in 5 days, this starts in 30 days, this starts in 145 days, etc... I hate staggered challenge schedules.

I'm glad that I am not psychologically bound to these things. I'll admit I will try to go for 1000/1000 within reason, but I was over challenges as soon as I missed some in Ryse last year.

I wish MS would overhaul the achievements app and make clear distinctions between challenges and achievements. Maybe have a separate app for challenges or something. I don't know anyone who actually likes challenges - why would anyone like a time-limited achievement?

zerotol

Banned
Okay so I started playing Dragon Age and randomly one of the Sunset achievements that I should have gotten earlier unlocked.

Still haven't gotten the Neon Sign one yet. Very strange.

I got all neon signs and the achievement still hasn't unlocked. When I check the status of it, it says something like "Done! ..... Unlocking". But it's been like that for a week. I'm pretty sure I bought all the maps and I don't see anymore neon sign icons on the map.

I wish MS would overhaul the achievements app and make clear distinctions between challenges and achievements. Maybe have a separate app for challenges or something. I don't know anyone who actually likes challenges - why would anyone like a time-limited achievement?

The same reason as why someone would like achievements - bragging rights.
I don't mind them, unless unlocking in-game content is tied to them, like in Crimson Dragon. I still miss that one dragon in my roster, and I'll probably never get it now.

Montresor

The same reason as why someone would like achievements - bragging rights.
I don't mind them, unless unlocking in-game content is tied to them, like in Crimson Dragon. I still miss that one dragon in my roster, and I'll probably never get it now.

Yeah, I think that is a much healthier mindset (meaning, "not minding" challenges, instead of being annoyed by them).

Some weeks ago there were many brand new challenges when Max Brotherhood was made a free game with gold. I launched the game and got some super easy challenges, but a couple of challenges were way too time-consuming, and I decided I couldn't be bothered with them. I have my 1000/1000 in that game and that is enough for me. So even with 300 days or something left in order to get those Max Brotherhood challenges, I simply don't care.

I'll do the same with Sunset. As the challenges become active, I'll pop the game in - because hey, it's my GOTY, and I'll welcome an excuse to play the game again. But I won't put more than a few ounces of effort into those challenge, and I'll gladly "not mind" if they take up too much time.

To me, the problem is that life is too busy to be worried about time-limited challenges. I haven't purchased Forza Horizon 2 yet, but life was too busy for me in September to be an early adopter, and so I missed the early adopter challenges. I simply don't care - and it has to be that way or I'd lose my sanity, lol.

I still think it would be nice for Microsoft to do more to differentiate between achievements and challenges. I would be very pleased if in one of the future updates, they do something to separate challenges and achievements when calculating the sum/denominator for a gamertag. I.E. instead of seeing 70/70 achievements for Sunset Overdrive, the app should instead say 64/64 achievements and 6/6 challenges.

dralla

Pretty sure you unlock it during one of the night defences. I've got it equipped to the Roman candle.

So good.
I've got it equipped on the floating gun turrets. Throw a few out and random nuke goes off. Feels good man. Is there a level 2 version of it?

try killing the game and restarting it (home button -> menu button -> quit game).

if that fails. hit menu and you can abandon the quest.
I went and did some Chaos Squad and when I came back to the campaign, everything worked. I think it's just the last mission now, and challenges. Is there no way to filter out challenges you've gotten gold medals on?

--

I did some more Chaos Squad last night and hot damn do things get crazy. I ended up getting all 5 rolls at the end since I had a ton of points. I got an Ahab+ out of it and some clothes. I leveled up the pulse mine from 2 to 5 in about 45 seconds? on the base defense at the end, thanks to the number of enemies. Now gimme some level 2 amps.

Fuchsdh

I've got it equipped on the floating gun turrets. Throw a few out and random nuke goes off. Feels good man. Is there a level 2 version of it?

I went and did some Chaos Squad and when I came back to the campaign, everything worked. I think it's just the last mission now, and challenges. Is there no way to filter out challenges you've gotten gold medals on?

--

I did some more Chaos Squad last night and hot damn do things get crazy. I ended up getting all 5 rolls at the end since I had a ton of points. I got an Ahab+ out of it and some clothes. I leveled up the pulse mine from 2 to 5 in about 45 seconds? on the base defense at the end, thanks to the number of enemies. Now gimme some level 2 amps.

Pulse mine has been the easiest weapon to level up, no doubt.

Curious as to what everyone's weapon choices are for the chaos squads, especially downtown. While I generally just try and ignore the flyers, not being able to keep style up because the grind rails are constantly flaming hurts me badly. Haven't been in a group able to survive the night yet.

anyone up for online? there's no one trying to play little tokyo atm which is what I'd like to play, kinda want to 100% this game as I think its amazing

Fuchsdh

anyone up for online? there's no one trying to play little tokyo atm which is what I'd like to play, kinda want to 100% this game as I think its amazing

Since there's so much luck of the draw esp. with teammates, is it possible to create a party and go in, or do you have to just all search at the same time? I'm thinking the best option for getting the chaos achievements is to just get together a competent party using something like TrueAchievements.

:(

i haven't played online yet. I just started and wanted to gather all traps first

traps while useful online, its your weaponry that will matter more

Since there's so much luck of the draw esp. with teammates, is it possible to create a party and go in, or do you have to just all search at the same time? I'm thinking the best option for getting the chaos achievements is to just get together a competent party using something like TrueAchievements.

it does show a leave game party button so I assume you can party up. and I just got Little Tokyo, got a squad of 8 and we did excellently

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Going through collectibles now.

Best part of the game is being able to cycle through challenges and quick travel to them (and see which ones you haven't done) from the challenge menu.

Ok, not the best part, but well done part.

Has there been a list of what is unlockable in online yet? This is going to be one of those games where I want to 100% everything. Bravo Insomniac, haven't wanted to do that in a while.

StoOgE

traps while useful online, its your weaponry that will matter more

it does show a leave game party button so I assume you can party up. and I just got Little Tokyo, got a squad of 8 and we did excellently

The main thing for online is level 4 weapons with super good amps attached to them. You want to bring the pain so you really want to up the ante on your main weapons and make sure they take out a lot of enemies.

I used to strap the nuke to TNTeddy but I realized it's better on turret gun since it fires more often. and laying down maxed turret guns is the best way towards pointsplosion online.

Fuchsdh

The main thing for online is level 4 weapons with super good amps attached to them. You want to bring the pain so you really want to up the ante on your main weapons and make sure they take out a lot of enemies.

I used to strap the nuke to TNTeddy but I realized it's better on turret gun since it fires more often. and laying down maxed turret guns is the best way towards pointsplosion online.

Haven't even gotten to the turret gun, but I'm getting all the last collectibles now so any Overcharge I get from gold medaling the last 30 challenges or so I can spend on the weaps. Is the charge gun actually worth it? Wasn't that impressed with it during its challenge.

yeah, just tried the harbor online, that was pure chaos

just failed a harbor mission that has you fight the first boss because 3/4, yes 3/4, six people, didn't know how to fight him. Perfect example of play the SP before going online. I'm pretty sure if you are playing Harbor online you should have already beaten him in the campaign anyway, so that's just really, really poor form.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels

Turret Gun, Acid Sprinkler, TNTeddy, and Hairspray Bomb are the best weapons for MP I think. I usually get the most kills when I use these.

EBE

level 4 Nothing But the Hits with automatic weapons damage increase and extra OD damage is really powerful. i use Burn Baby Burn with it and its really good at clearing out mobs

You can make a game with a party (you can even make it private if you want), you don't have to matchmake.

StoOgE

level 4 Nothing But the Hits with automatic weapons damage increase and extra OD damage is really powerful. i use Burn Baby Burn with it and its really good at clearing out mobs

That's the other thing. I have a fully upgraded OD extra damage and OD rival.

Makes you slightly more likely to die, but I run the single shot extra ammo and extra life which largely mitigates those risks.

Top Bottom