• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Nuke Soda

I just finished my playthrough of the story (total time 17:42:57) and I absolutely loved this game. I have to say though, the soundtrack was amazing! One of my favorite bands Bass Drum of Death did three original songs for the soundtrack (if you like the soundtrack you should check out their first two albums) and they fit so well with it. Everything about this game just appeals to me tbh, and it's definitely my front runner for GOTY.

My character right now:
imagercsv3.jpg

Looks kind of like hobo Travis Touchdown.

Best character creator I've used in a while. Green fauxhawk, pink grizzly Adams beard. A dude with tank top, panties, cowboy boots and short Jean shorts. Goofy ass glasses.

Few quick questions:

1. Just beat the
dragon
boss and it was awesome. Approximately how into the game am I?
2. I have the mission to go meet the LARPers but Floyd keeps on bugging me on the radio about his new base. Should I have gotten a defend the base mission or does that show up later?

Thanks!

Few quick questions:

1. Just beat the
dragon
boss and it was awesome. Approximately how into the game am I?
2. I have the mission to go meet the LARPers but Floyd keeps on bugging me on the radio about his new base. Should I have gotten a defend the base mission or does that show up later?

Thanks!

1. About half way.

2. He's probably got a base defense mission for you, yeah. Or at least, you should go take a look.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
There's something going on with my internet connection and Microsoft P2P based 1st party titles.

Sunset Overdrive - cant play online

Killer Instinct - RARELY find games online

Halo - cant find games online

Dead Rising - struggle to find games

On the other hand...

Titanfall - not a problem
CoD - not a problem

Seriously what the fuck.

mocoworm

There's something going on with my internet connection and Microsoft P2P based 1st party titles.

On the other hand...

CoD - not a problem

Seriously what the fuck.

COD is not on dedicated. It's P2P. So that messes up your theory a little. Dead Rising 3 is a Capcom game, so it can't be a MS 1st party issue.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
COD is not on dedicated. It's P2P. So that messes up your theory a little. Dead Rising 3 is a Capcom game, so it can't be a MS 1st party issue.

Doesn't mess up my theory. I said 1st party P2P. CoD is 3rd party. Its my whole point. Dead Rising still found games, it just struggled a bit.

The true 1st party titles flat out don't work. I have no idea why. Xbox One only too. 360 never had an issue.

Jrs3000

Doesn't mess up my theory. I said 1st party P2P. CoD is 3rd party. Its my whole point. Dead Rising still found games, it just struggled a bit.

The true 1st party titles flat out don't work. I have no idea why. Xbox One only too. 360 never had an issue.

Maybe your NAT. Put xb1 in the dmz or do port forwarding.

Yuterald

That Fizzie side mission where you had to take the core around to different fortune teller machines had a really unsuspecting, cool ending. Really liked the music that played before you tossed the thing into the you know what, haha!

rbanke

Not sure how far I have left but I've played about 10 hours and just completed the mission where
You kill the pigeons for the king
. This is the game I bought my Xbox for and I'm loving the aesthetics, its pretty funny, and movement is fun, and I like doing the challenges, but it still hasn't hooked me and its bumming me out. I can't put my finger on any one thing but I'll play a few missions, get some collectibles and feel like 'eh, I'm good for now'. The only thing I can point at and say I really don't like is the soundtrack, but I've never liked punk music and knew that going in (and turned the music volume almost off). This is the first Insomniac game I've played that I've been lukewarm on.

I'm finding that I've fallen into just using the TNTTeddy & compensator almost all the time and can't afford to buy many other weapons because I have barely any money (admittedly, I've been buying the maps but even still, the weapons available don't seem fantastic) which has caused those two weapons to be much much more leveled than anything else thereby being that much more effective making using the other weapons feel even weaker. I'm also not feeling the majority of the missions that are 'go here and kill some waves of enemies' or pseudo tower defense missions. I'm going to see it through but I don't expect it to change much but hopefully it clicks, we'll see.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
About to do the final mission, grinded to have the Fizzco Rifle, Hairspray Bomb, and Beam Cannon unlocked. WIsh me luck.

Montresor

I'm dying trying to get an amp upgrade in Chaos Squad, lol... I hate things that are random. At least Chaos Squad is pretty fun.

I think Chaos Squad could use a little fine-tuning. It's fun, but some very minor things could improve the experience:

1) Does the game have a mini-tutorial that tells you how Chaos Squad works.? I can't find one, so if it doesn't have a mini-tutorial, it should have one. I had to look online to learn how the mode works. What does Chaos % mean? Well Chaos % determines how difficult the night defense will be after all the mini-games are complete - but that is not clearly explained in the game. They should also clearly define the point of succeeding at Chaos Squad tasks. Aka, why would I want higher Chaos %? What benefit do I get for accepting a higher difficulty during the night defense? The answer is your final score is multiplied in some way by the Chaos % - and more score means more chance at end game spins. What is the benefit to completing the challenges during a mini-game? Your score is multiplied by 2 for every challenge you complete - but I don't think the game explicitly states this.

2) You need to be able to enter and exit Chaos Squad at any time using the Start Menu. It is too cumbersome to have to travel to those chaos squad booths on the map.

3) This isn't Chaos Squad related but it would be nice to be able to customize your character/clothes using the Start Menu.

danowat

Banned
Is anybody having issues with crashes. Over the weekend I had 3 hard crashes out to the dashboard. Just bad luck, or is there a known issue?

There is a known crash from the leaderboards, is it that?

Is something wrong with matchmaking? Have been searching for a game for a real long time now...

Matchmaking is really slow, there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of people playing Chaos Squad.

FWIW, you can start matchmaking, and back out (without cancelling matchmaking) and carry on playing campaign mode, and it will automatically take you to Chaos mode when it's done, makes the wait a bit more bearable.

Hammer24

Banned
This is probably the best game I played in the last decade. Best meaning, its the most fun - and that's what a videogame should be.
From the light tone and humor (I really appreciate the game not taking itself too serious, an illness many other games suffer from) to the great colorful graphics and art direction, to the varied gameplay and mission structure. Its just great.
This game has probably the greatest side missions ever conceived in an open world game. Few things make me happier than the "new side mission unlocked" announcement.
The only thing not fully my cup of tea is the defend-the-vat missions. That kind of horde mode I personally would prefer to do coop and not in SP.
However, this thus far is my GOTY, and by a good green country mile.

Ape

Banned

On the other hand...

CoD - not a problem

Seriously what the fuck.

Halo is like that for everyone. Dead Rising could be because no one is playing it. IDK what's going on with KI or SO, those two games I don't have a problem with.

piggychan

The only thing not fully my cup of tea is the defend-the-vat missions. That kind of horde mode I personally would prefer to do coop and not in SP.
However, this thus far is my GOTY, and by a good green country mile.

I found that returning to them at a later time especially when you've got most of the weapons leveled up and with full suite of moves, plus doing the chaos squad, they are much more enjoyable to complete.

h3ro

What are everyone's go to weapons/load outs early in the game?

I just got to the Japanese Museum area and picked up the Roman Candle gun which is great. Been paring that with the TNTeddy, Compensator shotgun and the Acid Sprinkler gun which I use just for robots/crowd control.

Still early in so I don't really have any good amps right now.

Hammer24

Banned
I found that returning to them at a later time especially when you've got most of the weapons leveled up and with full suite of moves, plus doing the chaos squad, they are much more enjoyable to complete.

My "problem" is more that you have to do them as part of the main mission. Would they have been side missions, I probably wouldn´t have minded so much.

Oh man. Someone at work just gave me a free copy. How awesome is that?

SO awesome:

shiba5

I finished the game a few days ago, but I don't have enough Overcharge to buy the rest of the collectible maps. Is there a good way (any particular quest or challenge) to get it without playing Chaos Squad? I've tried grinding OD, but I'm not getting much even with the amp that rewards more Overcharge.

dralla

Oh shit, I got the
nuclear sword
last night. So, so good. Why did they take it away from me :(

Also. Chaos Squad doesn't work for me. I wanna try it out and hopefully get some..stuff (don't know what you even get), but it doesn't match me with anyone

Fuchsdh

Oh shit, I got the
nuclear sword
last night. So, so good. Why did they take it away from me :(

Also. Chaos Squad doesn't work for me. I wanna try it out and hopefully get some..stuff (don't know what you even get), but it doesn't match me with anyone

I've definitely been having issues with Chaos Squad. Unfortunately I think it might be everyone got the achievements already and aren't playing -.-

New SSTV features a look at one more of the new weapons. Looks like a cluster grenade type weapon.

Also sounds like the weapon pack is coming next week.

OK so I've played an hour or two now... A little LTTP but *I love this game*!

The bit where the guy puts a gun in your face and you compare guns - brilliant humour. The city traversal is incredible - grind, wall run, bounce, grind some more... brilliant stuff! It can be a bit fiddly to control sometimes, but I'm getting there.

Love this game. Some of the swearing is a bit OTT/unnecessary (swearing in its place is fine, some of it's just too gratuitous).

Also the female voice actress sounds so much like Mila Kunis, even though it's not her that's still a dead good thing IMO.

OK so I've played an hour or two now... A little LTTP but *I love this game*!

The bit where the guy puts a gun in your face and you compare guns - brilliant humour. The city traversal is incredible - grind, wall run, bounce, grind some more... brilliant stuff! It can be a bit fiddly to control sometimes, but I'm getting there.

Love this game. Some of the swearing is a bit OTT/unnecessary (swearing in its place is fine, some of it's just too gratuitous).

Also the female voice actress sounds so much like Mila Kunis, even though it's not her that's still a dead good thing IMO.

nfWynVA.gif

Happy to hear you're enjoying it. It gets so much better...

It's a contest to take a picture and post it on twitter with the right hashtags and they are giving away 10 Xbox One bundles (looks like the white xbox one bundle).

http://xbox-sunset.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/LetFizzieIn_Download.pdf
https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/534821802116001792

Weak. Should have known it wouldn't be much with Greenberg behind the hype...

Krilekk

Banned
I can say it already is my GOTY. It's simply the most fun and entertaining game I have played in years. I'm 15 hours in and after 10.000 kills every single one of them is still enjoyable. I still get new guns I want to level up and turn them into killing machines. I still love grinding, flying, swinging, jumping, bumping through the beautiful colorful city, I still enjoy collecting stuff to amp up, the missions and side quests are great and varied. I'd put this game on the same level as Doom as far as gameplay is concerned. Everything is perfect.

But the airboost should be unlocked from the start. It's what turns traversal into fun after lots of frustration before that. And you shouldn't be punished for wanting to go head to head with enemies, you should be rewarded for not doing it. Some of those guns scream for close combat. And it's gorgeous to be in the thick of it and everywhere around enemies are splattering. It's like neverending fireworks. So good.

ryan13ts

Is the online mode pretty much dead already? I've had the game for about a week and tried to play the online mode for the first time today but couldn't find any rooms at all. I've done it multiple times now with no luck whatsoever. Kind of crazy for a brand new release if no one is playing at all.

Is the online mode pretty much dead already? I've had the game for about a week and tried to play the online mode for the first time today but couldn't find any rooms at all. I've done it multiple times now with no luck whatsoever. Kind of crazy for a brand new release if no one is playing at all.

How long did you wait?

Doffen

Isn't Xbox Live down?

Jrs3000

Think it's a bug or something related to your connection, I have same issue. This only game that does it. I'll see if port fwd works.

iavi

Not sure how far I have left but I've played about 10 hours and just completed the mission where
You kill the pigeons for the king
. This is the game I bought my Xbox for and I'm loving the aesthetics, its pretty funny, and movement is fun, and I like doing the challenges, but it still hasn't hooked me and its bumming me out. I can't put my finger on any one thing but I'll play a few missions, get some collectibles and feel like 'eh, I'm good for now'. The only thing I can point at and say I really don't like is the soundtrack, but I've never liked punk music and knew that going in (and turned the music volume almost off). This is the first Insomniac game I've played that I've been lukewarm on.

I'm finding that I've fallen into just using the TNTTeddy & compensator almost all the time and can't afford to buy many other weapons because I have barely any money (admittedly, I've been buying the maps but even still, the weapons available don't seem fantastic) which has caused those two weapons to be much much more leveled than anything else thereby being that much more effective making using the other weapons feel even weaker. I'm also not feeling the majority of the missions that are 'go here and kill some waves of enemies' or pseudo tower defense missions. I'm going to see it through but I don't expect it to change much but hopefully it clicks, we'll see.

Just got the game and I'm feeling the exact same. On paper, it's everything I love about games, but the whole package doesn't come together at all. And the humor is horrible.

It's more Tony Hawk than Jet Set Radio, but without the tricks, or Graffiti attack, with a side of perpetual horde mode.

An hour in and I'm think I'm good off this game.

Disappointment of the year.

Top Bottom