• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Ramenman

Is there another way to see the "new weapons" trailer that through mashable.com's horrendous attempt at a video player ? All I can get out of it is a blurry pixel mess that would be deliciously nostalgic if I was looking for a throwback to the heydays of 56k, but I'm not :/

So some have and some haven't received it. I'm not sure the criteria but who's bought the game digital and received it and who bought retail?

Who knows. I bought it retail two days before release, didn't seem to matter...

Yo Miles did you get your can of overdrive?

I'm heading there today. Fingers crossed.

Good heavens! xD

Seems everyone who was going to get has already got it, but I'll definitely send it your way if I get it.

Montresor

So some have and some haven't received it. I'm not sure the criteria but who's bought the game digital and received it and who bought retail?

I received code and I preordered it Oct 27, the Monday before release. It wasn't delivered until Wednesday Nov 5th, if that helps.

I received code and I preordered it Oct 27, the Monday before release. It wasn't delivered until Wednesday Nov 5th, if that helps.

So they are really randomly thanking people for playing the game?

No thought or design behind sending out codes. Just look at who has played and pick at random.

Sigh...

Ramenman

So they are really randomly thanking people for playing the game?

No thought or design behind sending out codes. Just look at who has played and pick at random.

Sigh...

My guess is it's coming for everyone but for some reason sent manually so it's taking some time to arrive for everyone.

Well, took advantage of the day long trial, and completed the game. Did all the main missions and did a bunch of sidequest stuff and challenges. Fun game overall, like a mash up of Crackdown, Jet Set Radio, and De Blob. Only managed to get 400/1000G on my playthrough so it looks like there's plenty to do if I ever buy the game in the future.

This full game trial does make me think MS may have shot themselves in the foot though. There's probably a bunch of people like me who'll just power through the main game and experience a bunch of stuff on the side before calling it quits, and then perhaps buying it for dirt cheap second hand a year down the line. Seems like some potential lost sales there. It'll be interesting to see if this increases sales for the game though.

My guess is it's coming for everyone but for some reason sent manually so it's taking some time to arrive for everyone.

Seems like the sensible thing to do would have been to put it on the store and let everyone who has the game download it.

This approach of randomly sending messages is just stupid.

Even the Murderang?

Goddamn, how long did that take you?

all of them and the extra one I got for the Day One edition, some weapons took ages especially the dragon one. I noticed that using a weapon against its intended target gave higher exp. Also helps that you can use the weapon challenges to grind up specific weapons, like the murderang. Thankfullt I had 15 weapons maxed out by the time I finished the story.

p3tran

Banned
today I booted sunset again after maybe a week.
in the meantime I bought the new games, including the openworld games, like unity and gta.
well, I think I prefer sunset city to both paris 1789 and los santos.

my plan was just to boot to check if anything changed, like a patch or something, but after booting it I got pulled and spent hours jumping around killing stuff, leveling up some weapons to full (got the chievo)
and collecting some old shoes etc.

Insomniac, I want to you to develop your world as much as rockstar has developed theirs!

add the freakin' first person camera too -gta style- and you got the bestest thing ever!

badams

So, aftert latest update, game suddenly started recording clips after every challenge, it's super annoying. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

all of them and the extra one I got for the Day One edition, some weapons took ages especially the dragon one. I noticed that using a weapon against its intended target gave higher exp. Also helps that you can use the weapon challenges to grind up specific weapons, like the murderang

Hmm, so how is the murderang fully levelled up? Is it any good?

I think i might dedicate some time doing the weapon challenges. There's one for every weapon right?

Hmm, so how is the murderang fully levelled up? Is it any good?

I think i might dedicate some time doing the weapon challenges. There's one for every weapon right?

Murderang at max with amps can one hit kill small enemies, medium take a couple hits, just not the big ones. Lethal against bots. No, only 7 or so have challenges.Also you wont gain experience in a challenge for a weapon until you own it.

Murderang at max with amps can one hit kill small enemies, medium take a couple hits, just not the big ones. Lethal against bots. No, only 7 or so have challenges.Also you wont gain experience in a challenge for a weapon until you own it.

Thanks. Shame there aren't weapon challenges for all the weapons.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
am i the only one that refuses to buy a map and has ZERO issues cruising about spotting TP, neon, shoes, and balloons, and killing things as i go? this is the awesompocalypse and i'm enjoying it immensely taking my sweet ass time.

psychotron

Just beat the game today. Dialogue at the end will make you laugh. Overall I loved it and think a sequel could really be something amazing. Now to trade it in for GTA and Far Cry.

p3tran

Banned
am i the only one that refuses to buy a map and has ZERO issues cruising about spotting TP, neon, shoes, and balloons, and killing things as i go? this is the awesompocalypse and i'm enjoying it immensely taking my sweet ass time.

well, today I bought all the maps that cost 2.5K and 5K. I had the money sitting there so what to do? :D

I agree, the world of sunset overdrive is very enjoyable to look at, to cruise to, to blow up.
MORE!!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
the codes should go out to every user who has played SO up to a certain point last week.

not sure how long it takes for them all to go out.

Nuke Soda

I am not against buying the maps, but I haven't yet. It is a lot of fun just cruising around the map. I beat the missions and should have quit by this point, but is so much damn fun playing with no real goals other than collecting stuff and trying to find the perfect outfit for your character.

shiba5

the codes should go out to every user who has played SO up to a certain point last week.

Thanks so much. Great game and awesome soundtrack!
Which reminds me, can you tell me what the first of the end credits song is? :)

farisr

So yeah I was asking for a demo of this game for a while as the videos and reviews really were not enough for me to judge if I would like the game or not and MS makes the whole game available for one day at no extra charge to gold users and it just happens to be the one Saturday that I've managed to get off over the last few months. Awesome. Game also downloaded pretty quickly, was downloading at a consistent 120Mbps (15MB/s)

Was intending on trying for 10-15 minutes see how it was, ended up playing for 2 hours. Solid game. But honestly, they should've created a closed demo of a later section of the game or something, I want this game to sell well.

Insomniac did a great job.

Will be buying this game to show my support.

PS. I love the character customization. More games should do this.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so, i have no more icons for side quests on my map but the last one i did, investigating fizzco, ended with a cutscene of
a fizzco guy (who looks surprisingly like the main default protagonist but in a suit, and big robot. do we get to fight him at some point?
. kind of odd to leave it like that, maybe i do have more side quests? if so, how do i open them up?

Spitz

Just finished all the challenges with gold medals, whew. But I didn't get an achievement for it D:

The Achievement should pop after getting the 50th Gold Medal the total number of Challenges is 54. Maybe you already have the Achievement.

jesu

Can you say which point?
I'm not far in I don't think, still doing the scouts mission(although sidetracked with side missions!)
Wondering if I'll get the dlc.

Duxxy3

Have played for about 4 or 5 hours and it's a fun game. A fun game that is brought down by just dreadful controls. No bumper jumper, everything on manual, melee on b, speed up on rb. Jesus... did insomniac forget every single control development made in the past 10 years?

Have played for about 4 or 5 hours and it's a fun game. A fun game that is brought down by just dreadful controls. No bumper jumper, everything on manual, melee on b, speed up on rb. Jesus... did insomniac forget every single control development made in the past 10 years?

Everything on manual?

I'm sorry, are you saying you want the game to play itself and require no skil?

Montresor

What's wrong with speedup on RB? Remember you don't need to hold it or push it repeatedly. Just one push will speed you up.

What button should melee be on?

Duxxy3

Really?

Explain to me what you mean by everything on manual. What exactly is wrong with having everything be manual?

Every single movement has to be assigned to a (usually different) button, why?

Why do I need to hit x to start a grind? Why do I need to hit x to grab a pole? I jumped on the rail for a reason, I jumped towards the pole for a reason.

Why is the ground dash button separate from the air dash button?

Why not put speed up on L3? Why not put melee on R3? If it were my design I would put both dashes and the speed up under L3.

At this point in the game the Y button isn't used (I don't know if it ever gets used), so why doesn't that bring up the weapons menu instead of LB?

tuna_love

Banned
Every single movement has to be assigned to a (usually different) button, why?

Why do I need to hit x to start a grind? Why do I need to hit x to grab a pole? I jumped on the rail for a reason, I jumped towards the pole for a reason.

Why is the ground dash button separate from the air dash button?

Why not put speed up on L3? Why not put melee on R3? If it were my design I would put both dashes and the speed up under L3.

At this point in the game the Y button isn't used (I don't know if it ever gets used), so why doesn't that bring up the weapons menu instead of LB?
Do you realise how shit it would be if you just magnetised auto grinded every where?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Having played through various other open world games... nope. There is a smart way to do it.

You're missing the point of the gameplay harkening back to 3D platformers which actually required some amount of skill to traverse the environment, instead of the auto-platforming in AC and Uncharted you seem to want. It's the reason many people love it and the game would suffer if they changed it. It'd be like playing an FPS and complaining that there isn't enough lock on, aiming manually is obsolete.

Having played through various other open world games... nope. There is a smart way to do it.

There's really not. Setting aside the fact that it's anathema to the game's overall playstyle, and that it would remove any semblance of skill from the traversal, it'd be a nightmare considering the sheer number of grindable objects in any given area.

Duxxy3

There's really not. Setting aside the fact that it's anathema to the game's overall playstyle, and that it would remove any semblance of skill from the traversal, it'd be a nightmare considering the sheer number of grindable objects in any given area.

I refuse to believe that the only option to make the game to control correctly was to set every single action to a button. I don't buy it.

I refuse to believe that the only option to make the game to control correctly was to set every single action to a button. I don't buy it.

Not just correctly, but well. Not only would having an auto grind require them to burn down and rebuild the entire map, it'd make the game hugely less fun to play.

fquick

Neo Member
Can confirm it's random as I just bought it last week and installed it. Woke up to a code.

Having a blast with the game!

Top Bottom