• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

timlot

Banned
Been playing the free 24hrs. And I loving this game. Its replacing FH2 as my GOTY. Wish I had bought it first instead of Halo collection. Could have bought that early next year. My wife is even playing the game which she rarely does. Dammit this is the last game I'm buying this year. No More.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Every single movement has to be assigned to a (usually different) button, why?

Why do I need to hit x to start a grind? Why do I need to hit x to grab a pole? I jumped on the rail for a reason, I jumped towards the pole for a reason.

Why is the ground dash button separate from the air dash button?

Why not put speed up on L3? Why not put melee on R3? If it were my design I would put both dashes and the speed up under L3.

At this point in the game the Y button isn't used (I don't know if it ever gets used), so why doesn't that bring up the weapons menu instead of LB?
Why couldn't they include a win button?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Been playing the free 24hrs. And I loving this game. Its replacing FH2 as my GOTY. Wish I had bought it first instead of Halo collection. Could have bought that early next year. My wife is even playing the game which she rarely does. Dammit this is the last game I'm buying this year. No More.

yay. thanks for the support. :)

Juanfp

Just play the game, one of the best I play this year. Was really considering buying it, but now I'm really going to buy it. MCC can wait.
Let's hope microsoft will continue doing this trials.

zero86r

Yeah been playing the trial, pretty fun game love the colour of it all. Reckon I'll pick it up soon. Enjoying the humour too.

Toppot

It's taken me a long time to come to my thoughts on this game, just wiping up the last achievements now.

The game is fun, traversal (once you have air dash) is great and the weapons are fun if not a little simple compared to the wide array in R&C games. The story is very minimal, and though smart phones give more back story, I would have liked a little more story during the missions explaining Fizzco and Fizzie and their motives. I know its a game that's just a game, like Saints Row, but the presentation feels a bit too forced, even if most of it is humerus. The game is a little short, even with the side missions, though there are plenty of collectables and challenges to do, I just feel there should have been a couple more factions and more interactivity between them. They all seem to be in isolation, they must have fought between territories, but maybe I'm trying to take things too seriously. The mechanics of the game work very well together and the amps are a great way to spice out the range of weapons. Its a bright colourful adventure that i have enjoyed, really looking forward to what a sequel would hold as it would improve on so many things.

The online, though it has some variety, is just one mode in the end and my interest is waning, its a shame so much content is locked behind multiplayer with no alternative ways of unlocking better amps and weapon upgrades.

I hope the Story DLC in future adds more longevity to the game, as well as fleshing out the world a bit more.

danwarb

Played some of the trial. It's surprisingly good. Grinding, boosting, bouncing, shooting makes sense now. It looks great too.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Have played for about 4 or 5 hours and it's a fun game. A fun game that is brought down by just dreadful controls. No bumper jumper, everything on manual, melee on b, speed up on rb. Jesus... did insomniac forget every single control development made in the past 10 years?

John-Krasinski-no.gif

SO is an awesome game, but what really strikes me as that I'm getting more and more addicted the longer I play. Often, the trend is towards increasing fatigue, but it's the opposite with this game. It reviewed fairly well, but I nevertheless think it was underappreciated by the critics.

sammex

Just finished the story on the free trial. Fun game, the humour reminded me of Saints Row and Dead Rising - v silly but toned down somewhat. I didn't do many side missions but still enjoyed it. Nice to have a colourful and bright world to play in too. The mention at the end made me chuckle.

Ramenman

This and Mordor are the game that defined this year for me (titanfall was a very good surprise too but still ranks lower than those two in my heart).

Sunset Overdrive is the game I wanted for a long time, and even more. Ratchet-like weapons with customisation + colors + crazy bouncy open world traversal + actually reward combat while moving, it takes everything I like and puts it together to make its own thing, and it works wonder.
I was afraid I'd want to punch the smartass character in the face (didn't really like him in the trailer), but actually I made a female character and ended up loving the voice actress (maybe I just didn't like the male actor, or maybe it isn't that bad in game). I'm glad I played a game that can reference both
Bayonetta
and several
Disney
movies without rubbing it in my face to obviously.

I'm gonna be playing this for a looong time, be it just for the fun of traversal. Glad someone went with traversal as an actual *gameplay* and not just automatic-spectacular, not only this is incredibly fun, but I think this is also the solution to all the "fuck, that's not what I wanted to do" problems that Assassin's Creed has had since forever (it was still very painful in Unity, which I just finished). Of course I'm not saying AC can just copy what Sunset does, or go "full manual" with their particular brand of traversal, sadly for them :p

Now that I'm done with the game's campaign, and have played some hours after that, I just have a few annoying tidbits I feel like mentionning, maybe stuff to patch in or keep in mind for the sequel (yeah I just decided you guys were making one) :

- There's this amp that gives "more damage when in the air". I love it because boucing is what I do most, so this totally fits my playstyle, but the feedback for it is just so incredibly shiny that I had to stop using it. Basically it damages both visibility (because of this huge golden particle effect all around my character as soon as he isn't touching the ground), and my customisation (because of this way overdone golden gloss shader-thing all over my character, so basically since I spend a lot of my time bouncing, I never really see my actual character's look, which is sad because it's the only game where I put so much pleasure and effort into changing clothes around). So yeah, due to those huge effects I ended up not using that amp that sounds just perfect for me on paper :(

- Most weapon amps are a "% chance of something happening on kill/hit". This is totally cool with me, but sometimes it's hard to tell when an amp actually happened or not. For example when i use the flaming compensator + burn baby burn, since it's a fire amp on a fire weapon, it's kinda hard to tell "how often" the amp is useful to me. Sometimes I end up changing amps around just because I don't really know how much of an effect they have. When I purchased the Announcer amp (it's awesome btw), I expected it to maybe say the name of an amp everytime it is triggered, so I would know when my amps are actually useful, plus it would be totally rad :D (he does say "burn baby burn" sometimes but I don't think it's related to the amp). Other than that, maybe showing the actual % of chance would have me stop worry about it and know which one is rarer. For example the grim reaper one is very cool, but I feel like it almost never happens. Again, hard to tell If I'm just missing it in the chaos of everything else, or if it just has a lower % chance of happening than some others.

- I kind of liked that thing in Ratchet where when reaching level 5 a weapon would have a small cosmetic change and maybe an fx or two on top of it. It was largely useless gameplay wise but it was lovely nonetheless. I won't bother you into doing "everything like ratchet" again (after all I heard you were reluctant to have wacky weapons at first because of that), but maybe it would be cool to have some sort of "small thing" happen when you reach level max, other than the sheer satisfaction of knowing you have maximum stats :)

- I don't really know what those "+" weapon earned in chaos squad do.

So, great work guys, amazing work all around, especially for creating not only your first open-world game, but also a brand new IP with actual new gameplay concepts. There was a lot of "new" to do here so it's amazing you got so much of it right !

Edit : goddamn that's huge.

a.wd

So played it up to the air dash today, and I must say, the controls are difficult initially, I picked them up quite quickly, but it is very Tony Hawk-esque in as much as it is about timing as much as anything.

My wife watched me play it and my plan was originally to get it in a few weeks once I had cleared some backlog, but she said, lets go and get it tomorrow, just watching me play was entertaining for her and my character cracked her up.

Awesome game, an amazing 1st shot at a new ip and has elements of some of my favourite games, traversal is not quite as good as crackdown, grinding is not quite as good as JSR, but the overall whole is an amazing experience, and I will definitely be spending a lot of time in this sandbox.

RyudBoy

Game is crazy fun. Would've benefited from a demo being released. I would've bought it for sure.

And how the heck is it running so smoothly with all that stuff on-screen?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Why do I need to hit x to start a grind? Why do I need to hit x to grab a pole? I jumped on the rail for a reason, I jumped towards the pole for a reason.

Why not put speed up on L3? Why not put melee on R3? If it were my design I would put both dashes and the speed up under L3.

At this point in the game the Y button isn't used (I don't know if it ever gets used), so why doesn't that bring up the weapons menu instead of LB?

I don't even know how this is a complaint. Why should the game control like other games when it grooms you from the start to play like itself and not something else?

I was a big hater of this prerelease. I thought the humor was going to fall right into that awful borderlands shit and the traversal just looked so slow

I love to admit that I was wrong. The traversal is just as fast as it needs to be to still be manageable, and the humor is more hit than miss. Loving it so far and this trial was a great idea

Also the voice actress for the female character is Artemis from young justice so that definitely helps

jesu

So played it up to the air dash today, and I must say, the controls are difficult initially, I picked them up quite quickly, but it is very Tony Hawk-esque in as much as it is about timing as much as anything.

My wife watched me play it and my plan was originally to get it in a few weeks once I had cleared some backlog, but she said, lets go and get it tomorrow, just watching me play was entertaining for her and my character cracked her up.

Awesome game, an amazing 1st shot at a new ip and has elements of some of my favourite games, traversal is not quite as good as crackdown, grinding is not quite as good as JSR, but the overall whole is an amazing experience, and I will definitely be spending a lot of time in this sandbox.

Result!

Each to their own and that, and I'm not a big fan of Crackdown, but isn't Crackdown just floaty jump around controls?

16BitNova

Ok guys. So I have both the physical copy of MCC and Sunset Overdrive. Now I was trying to play MCC when to no surprise it froze on me. So I said fuck it I'm gonna play Overdrive. So I went to the dashboard and pressed the thumbnail for overdrive. Now remember I have the physical copy, so I was expecting the please insert disc now screen. But no, it just started and now I've been playing overdrive with my Halo MCC disc still inside.

What's going on here? Is this cause of the free to play day for sunset overdriven? Or did I just run into an awesome glitch?

Ok guys. So I have both the physical copy of MCC and Sunset Overdrive. Now I was trying to play MCC when to no surprise it froze on me. So I said fuck it I'm gonna play Overdrive. So I went to the dashboard and pressed the thumbnail for overdrive. Now remember I have the physical copy, so I was expecting the please insert disc now screen. But no, it just started and now I've been playing overdrive with my Halo MCC disc still inside.

What's going on here? Is this cause of the free to play day for sunset overdriven? Or did I just run into an awesome glitch?

Free day; everybody has a digital license until the promotion ends :)

a.wd

Result!

Each to their own and that, and I'm not a big fan of Crackdown, but isn't Crackdown just floaty jump around controls?

Nooooooooo, Crackdown is momentum based jumping with controls that are as refined as any Mario game you care to mention, also the way that Crackdown has you learn the limitations and nuances of its traversal system through the upgrade path is absolutely brilliant, much like SO you start off with a small amount of abilities and as you progress you unlock more and start accessing areas more easily, but with CD you have to physically find the orbs to make you traverse faster/better.

This process actually makes you better at traversal because you have to figure out within the confines of your current ability level, how close to your target you will land, and you start understanding instinctively whether you will spend a minute climbing a building or would overshoot a target. Its amazingly well done and the fact that SO has similar systems in place, while providing all the other things is absolutely astounding.

The thing that I really like about SO is that for all the humour, and colours and awesomeextremeness, there are some very clever systems underpinning the gameplay and the world is flexible enough to allow many different types of experience to work. Absolutely class.

dankir

Yeah just deal with the controls buddy. They work great and trust me if you auto grinded, or auto wall run that would drive a lot of people insane, the game gets pretty crazy especially during Chaos Mode I'm glad Insomniac gave us the choice to be very precise.

We tested auto grind. 100% of playtesters preferred the manual controls, and they also performed better, even if we let them play for several hours on auto controls first before introducting them to the manual controls.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

How would you tell the game you want to catch the pole not the rail right on top of it.
Unless you are gonna get rid of poles and rails being on top of each other.

Pressing X gives you more control to dictate what you actually want to do while letting the world still be heavily populated with traversal stuffs. I love having a manual button to initiate traversal......that way i can mix and match what im actually doing....if it was simple near rail = grind then every time i flipped close to rail id be grinding in direction X.......trust me it would be 100 times more frustrating in this game universe than having a manual button is.

Whats grounds dash? Do you unlock that much later in the game?(You shouldnt be spending much time on the ground anyway)

How would you undergrind if getting near the poles auto grinded?

Or how would you jump straight down to bounce and use that to shoot up and add to the combo if every time you hit the jump button you just kept jumping on the same damn rail?

Melee on r3 would be fucking awful you are a monster

This isn't call of duty. And the traversal isn't like infamous where it's just for travel

We tested auto grind. 100% of playtesters preferred the manual controls, and they also performed better, even if we let them play for several hours on auto controls first before introducting them to the manual controls.

Of course they did. The idea that auto grind would be preferable is simply ridiculous.

It saddens me to see someone say that's what they'd prefer.

Just finished the story part of the game today...I'm slow, got this with the bundle...really enjoyed this game. It's not the type I normally buy, and almost didn't buy the bundle because of that. Glad I did. So much fun and great humor throughout. I am sure I will be going back to make sure I get to try all the weapons and what not. Great fun and execution!

RSB

Banned
Good to see more people want the Bumper Jumper control scheme in this game. They really should include it and other alternative control schemes, or better yet, add the option to remap the buttons.

Personally I would love to change at least the jump button to LB. The game would control so much better with just that small change...

I really hope Insomniac introduces the option in a future patch.

Was waiting for Sunset Overdrive as a Christmas gift, but wanted to try it just to see if said choosing of Christmas gift was justified.

Yup, easily. Fantastic. Insomniac are back.

RedAssedApe

Banned
@majornelson 1m1 minute ago
Gold members get a 15% discount on the Day One Edition & Deluxe editions of @SunsetOverdrive now through Mon, Nov 24 midnight PT (2/2)

bf deal better but i guess its cool they are discounting

Sweet, finished the story just in time.
Pretty fun game! It really is exactly what I thought it was the first time I saw footage (DR+Infamous+Ratchet), and I had a pretty good time with it as a result. Once you unlock air dash it truly turns into Infamous.

As for the humor... it tries way too hard, but I must admit I chuckled a few times.

All in all: great game.

RBK

Banned
I hope the game performs as well as it can commercially.

I love my XB1 but it is in great need of diversity outside of the shooter market. This is a great start and hopefully more MS support from Insomniac in the future as well.

Really happy that the trial worked and people are picking this up. I fell love with this game on release date. No glitches, steady framerate despite all the chaos, amazing customization, charming female lead, awesome boss fights
Fizzie!
and a really entertaining multiplayer.

Please someone tell me: how is this not a GOTY nominee and Hearthstone is?

Chris1

The controls felt weird at first but after a few hours of gameplay everything just clicks, there's nothing wrong with then IMO it just takes some getting used to.

Loved the trial, I was going to buy the game eventually I had just pushed it down the priority list with so many games coming out in such a short time frame but I think I'll be picking it up sooner than I thought.

I do think the campaign was a bit easy though and most of the missions apart from the ones with bosses were almost the same thing (go to x and kill for a few minutes), which in this game isn't a bad thing since traversal is so fun, but I do think some puzzles or something added to missions to require a bit of thinking would have made the missions themselves a bit better.

I don't understand the need for all the swearing aswell, I felt it was extremely excessive and I'm not one to care about shit like that, but on this game it just felt forced and didn't really have any place in the dialogue other than to "show off" most of the time.

This wouldn't work at all. One of my favorite parts about Sunset Overdrive is that it HAS NOT jumped onto the auto-scaling system of games like Infamous and Assassin's Creed. It feels responsive and deliberate. I interact with what I want to interact with.

Sunsets system allows for a dense city crammed with interactive surfaces and objects (basically everything) without having to worry about a sticky character. Sure at the beginning of the game I would grab a hang rail when I wanted to grab a ground rail but then I learned to wait to press X until I was closer to the ground rail.

I'm glad they avoided L3 and R3 too. Horrible buttons for most actions in most games really. In my opinion they should only every be mapped to actions that would occur when the player doesn't need to move the analog stick (like how you click both in briefly for special "modes" in God of War or GTAV). They only get more use because game controllers are lacking in number of inputs.

Been loving this game. Everything has been amazing/hilarious/weird, but I fucking lost it
when Buzz from the Melvins showed up
. Holy shit, Insomniac you are amazing. GOTY so far.

Top Bottom