• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Playing around with the idea of grabbing a $350 bone for this and MCC; I've always owned primarily Sony consoles, and Ratchet and Clank has always been a mainstay. How similar is this to R&C?

I'd say it's actually quite similar... The whole mechanic behind the game seems ripped from the rail grinding sequences..

Only three more sleeps until I'm finally able to play this,

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

ChuckNyce

Been awhile since I bought a retail disk game on Xbone so I completely forgot how incredibly long it takes to get through the initial install - it's only at 10 percent complete after 15 minutes...was wondering if it was downloading the whole game or something. Guess I'll just go make a sandwich or something...

Really looking forward to playing though :)

webkatt

Been awhile since I bought a retail disk game on Xbone so I completely forgot how incredibly long it takes to get through the initial install - it's only at 10 percent complete after 15 minutes...was wondering if it was downloading the whole game or something. Guess I'll just go make a sandwich or something...

It's crazy! It reminds me of ps3 install times.

Isn't it still significantly faster if you install it with the internet connection disabled for some ludicrous reason?

The presentation on the game is so slick and smooth. Nice to see when devs put some thought into the elements that allow the game to flow from one thing to the next. Traversal is fun and feels great when you pull off some nice chains. My only issue is sometimes I am trying to grind and it does a roll instead.

I've seen people on stream doing this, basically you are hitting the input a tad too late (after the player hits the ground) and he is rolling instead.

Since it seems to be a common issue, I'm going to try making a change to interpret X input as grind input even when you are on the ground IF you have landed in the last few frames. If that works and feels good (no promise that it will), I can get it into one of the DLC patches.

That won't be for a while though, so in the meantime all I can recommend is that if you are having this issue, try to hit the grind button a little bit earlier than you currently are.

I've seen people on stream doing this, basically you are hitting the input a tad too late (after the player hits the ground) and he is rolling instead.

Since it seems to be a common issue, I'm going to try making a change to interpret X input as grind input even when you are on the ground IF you have landed in the last few frames. If that works and feels good (no promise that it will), I can get it into one of the DLC patches.

That won't be for a while though, so in the meantime all I can recommend is that if you are having this issue, try to hit the grind button a little bit earlier than you currently are.

Dang! insomniac is for the people!

Thanks man!

Pavillion

wow...this sucks. Was waiting for the game to be delivered from canada post and watched the guy put all the stuff in the mail box, waited for him to come to my door to deliver the game...and.... he said attempted delivery on the site and left the notice in the mailbox that i can pick it up tomorrow after 1pm. That is a joke.

Little by little I'm getting into the gameplay.

I can say for sure it's not an accessible game, and that will be a huge con for many people.

Begaria

wow...this sucks. Was waiting for the game to be delivered from canada post and watched the guy put all the stuff in the mail box, waited for him to come to my door to deliver the game...and.... he said attempted delivery on the site and left the notice in the mailbox that i can pick it up tomorrow after 1pm. That is a joke.

And you didn't kick your door open, grind down whatever railing you had, bounce off your car's roof, kicked him in the balls, and took your game because...?

Tangeroo

I give the game a solid 8.0 so far after about 3 hours (a score, which I expect to go up). The graphics are phenomenal and this is the first game that has made me think that we've entered the next-gen so far.

The first hour was pretty boring but once you left the "tutorial" phase, the game really started to open up. The traversal is really nice but the combat hasn't really clicked for me yet (I'm currently running with 5 weapons, including the 3 starter weapons). What I've played of the multiplayer (Chaos really is an appropriate term) didn't really hook me. I never felt like I was engaging in any sort of teamwork with the other players nor did it feel like I was competing with them. It felt more like a real-time leaderboard competition than an actual multiplayer mode. There's pretty much zero player interaction from what I played.

Traversal challenges are the best part of the game for me. I think they're well balanced and really show off the flexibility of the different ways to travel through the game.

I'm sure the game will get more fun once I unlock more amps/weapons but I still have to say that Crackdown is the best game of this type.

ChuckNyce

Isn't it still significantly faster if you install it with the internet connection disabled for some ludicrous reason?

Ok so this is weird. Does buying the disk give you rights to the digital version or something? Here's why I ask

- I popped in my disk and did "use a code" to register the dlc that was provided in the case
- Instead of doing "Install Disk" on the home dashboard screen, I went to My Games and Apps, scrolled all the way to the right and saw "Sunset Overdrive" under the "ready to install" section. Clicked it
- It installed the 3 pieces of DLC and then started Installing SO. It was taking a really long time though (got about 16% through it in about 45 minutes).
- I disconnected my internet connection, attempted to continue the install, but I got an error saying I needed to enable my connection in order to finish the installation.

So this got me to thinking that it was somehow downloading the entire game as opposed to installing from the disk. I cancelled the Install, ejected the disk and put it back in, then clicked "install disk" on the front page. I got prompted that there was a 300 MB patch that I hadn't been prompted for previously. The install also started going much faster and I could hear the disk tray humming. Do I have the digital version too somehow?

Edit: It's sitting at about 50% complete now after about 10 minutes, so it was definitely downloading the full game previously...WTF.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Game is waaaay more fun when you get past the mission that makes it so a timed jump makes your bounce high along with some more amps. I'm really digging the general gameplay loop and how you traverse, since you never want to be just on foot running around it adds a really unique flavor to everything that's happening.

The Flash

Banned
EgmyYrd.png

I love this game

There is a smart phone collectible on the bottom right of the left island. Does anyone know how to get it? Its in the building right next to the water

Stevey

I'm in the UK and this doesnt release til friday, but does this mean I can play it now?
It said pre-ordered yesterday.

l7w4DPO.jpg

ElNino

That is strange, it didn't take that long for it to install for me. I played some Golf Club while it was installing and it finished well before I had completed a round, probably around 15-20 minutes.

Edit: Ok, I saw your follow up post... sounds like it was downloading instead of installing from disc. I've had that scenario happen for me once before as well (Destiny maybe) where I selected the 'Read to Install' option and it started to download the game instead of reading from the disc. I doubt you will end up with a digitial license however.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
This game is the reason I got an XBox One. It's preloaded on my machine, waiting for daddy to come home and give her a whirl. CAN'T FUCKING WAIT

That is strange, it didn't take that long for it to install for me. I played some Golf Club while it was installing and it finished well before I had completed a round, probably around 15-20 minutes.

yeah sounds like something is wrong. I got used to insanely long install times when I got my xbox one, so I was surprised when SO was ready in a few minutes

Its like a time warp to back when colorful games were made (like jak & daxter and R&C) which is definitely a good thing

Game is fantastic. It is definitely more fun to play than to watch. Some of you may remember a mission shown of in promo footage recently where
you chase a train, looks kinda slow in the video but it feels great to play.

Once you get air dash traversal is just amazing. Starting to use wall run more as well though unless the building geometry is fairly smooth you detach from the wall, makes sense, essentially your whole body needs to fit onto the object to wall run on it so balconies mess it up.

Am_I_Evil

fun game...but a buggy mess...stuck in the game world for the second time...first time i was able to walk off a "ledge"....now i'm just stuck and can't get out of it...i can see the top of my head sticking out of the concrete....

Top Bottom