• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

E92 M3

Ok so this is weird. Does buying the disk give you rights to the digital version or something? Here's why I ask

- I popped in my disk and did "use a code" to register the dlc that was provided in the case
- Instead of doing "Install Disk" on the home dashboard screen, I went to My Games and Apps, scrolled all the way to the right and saw "Sunset Overdrive" under the "ready to install" section. Clicked it
- It installed the 3 pieces of DLC and then started Installing SO. It was taking a really long time though (got about 16% through it in about 45 minutes).
- I disconnected my internet connection, attempted to continue the install, but I got an error saying I needed to enable my connection in order to finish the installation.

So this got me to thinking that it was somehow downloading the entire game as opposed to installing from the disk. I cancelled the Install, ejected the disk and put it back in, then clicked "install disk" on the front page. I got prompted that there was a 300 MB patch that I hadn't been prompted for previously. The install also started going much faster and I could hear the disk tray humming. Do I have the digital version too somehow?

Edit: It's sitting at about 50% complete now after about 10 minutes, so it was definitely downloading the full game previously...WTF.

That's too good to be true...

Nephtes

I've seen people on stream doing this, basically you are hitting the input a tad too late (after the player hits the ground) and he is rolling instead.

Since it seems to be a common issue, I'm going to try making a change to interpret X input as grind input even when you are on the ground IF you have landed in the last few frames. If that works and feels good (no promise that it will), I can get it into one of the DLC patches.

That won't be for a while though, so in the meantime all I can recommend is that if you are having this issue, try to hit the grind button a little bit earlier than you currently are.

That's great news, having trouble with that myself.

Can you also give us the option for a bumper jumper control scheme?

Jumping with the A button and trying to aim is tough after coming off of Destiny and Titanfall where aiming and jumping is handled so nicely by freeing your thumbs to aim if you choose to use left bumper as jump...

Liking the game otherwise so far though!

I suggest that anyone not feeling the controls for traversal and shooting as well as keeping your style meter up spend some time just wandering the city, taking in the sights, and practicing by bouncing, grinding, and wallrunning around the world. After an hour of that, I was very comfortable with the controls as well as impressed by the how deep and wide the city is...maybe the most three-dimensional city in a game yet, though I still wish it had Dead Rising 3's amazing level of interiors to many if not most buildings. Great game.

shandy706

The mighty Philpocalypse

bhzmmd.gif

Thanks Doffen for the video source.

Ok so this is weird. Does buying the disk give you rights to the digital version or something? Here's why I ask

- I popped in my disk and did "use a code" to register the dlc that was provided in the case
- Instead of doing "Install Disk" on the home dashboard screen, I went to My Games and Apps, scrolled all the way to the right and saw "Sunset Overdrive" under the "ready to install" section. Clicked it
- It installed the 3 pieces of DLC and then started Installing SO. It was taking a really long time though (got about 16% through it in about 45 minutes).
- I disconnected my internet connection, attempted to continue the install, but I got an error saying I needed to enable my connection in order to finish the installation.

So this got me to thinking that it was somehow downloading the entire game as opposed to installing from the disk. I cancelled the Install, ejected the disk and put it back in, then clicked "install disk" on the front page. I got prompted that there was a 300 MB patch that I hadn't been prompted for previously. The install also started going much faster and I could hear the disk tray humming. Do I have the digital version too somehow?

Edit: It's sitting at about 50% complete now after about 10 minutes, so it was definitely downloading the full game previously...WTF.
Cue panicked ms/ig execs running around checking they haven't given out free copies of the game by mistake

hwy_61

Banned
Those that are picking up their preorders from best buy: don't forget your can cooler. I grabbed one, and when they scan it on the same transaction, it rings up as $0.00. Just an FYI.

Tangeroo

One other change I'd love to see is making ammo pick-ups more distinct. Currently, they're glowing boxes with a picture of the weapon on the box but it's hard to make out what weapon it is. Most games alleviate this by allowing you to pick up the weapon itself as ammo or by having the ammo show up as a giant silhouette. I'd love for the ammo pick-ups to be more distinct.

One other change I'd love to see is making ammo pick-ups more distinct. Currently, they're glowing boxes with a picture of the weapon on the box but it's hard to make out what weapon it is. Most games alleviate this by allowing you to pick up the weapon itself as ammo or by having the ammo show up as a giant silhouette. I'd love for the ammo pick-ups to be more distinct.

It also gets to you so fast you really don't have a chance to see it.

I'd hate to lose the big box aspect because it's SO satisfying, but the pickups themselves could be better labeled.

The disc in the tray gives you rights to the digital version.... If you try to play the game with the disc out it will ask you for a disc unless you purchase a license.. Since you had already started the install I'm assuming it just took out the option to purchase and left it at install.

You can download whatever you want... If I login as my brother I can download all of his games but if I log him out it will prompt me for the disc to be inserted when I go and play the game.

LTWheels

Definitely scratches same itch that Tony Hawks use to. It's fun just to traverse the world.

The grinding, bouncing and wall running all work well together. Also like how jumping out of the roll acts like a 'manual' to keep your combo going.

Chitown B

So I thought I'd get up to take a break after playing for a couple minutes. I get up to get some kombucha and happen to glance at the clock on the way back... 3 freaking hours have past...

95413-ron-swanson-what-the-hell-just-RT4g.gif

LOL seriously. I started playing at 11CST when it went live, and before I knew it it was 1:30A. I was like WTF?

Pavillion

And you didn't kick your door open, grind down whatever railing you had, bounce off your car's roof, kicked him in the balls, and took your game because...?

Couldn't wait, so I followed this advice. Except I went to my local video game shop and rented it.

Patroclos

Banned
Definitely scratches same itch that Tony Hawks use to. It's fun just to traverse the world.

The grinding, bouncing and wall running all work well together. Also like how jumping out of the roll acts like a 'manual' to keep your combo going.

Lol. I was thinking about how this is the best skateboard game available atm on new gen. The more I play the better I like it. Honestly, in my opinion it's the first game worth getting an xbox one for. Going to be a good month for my xbox. The game is single handedly making me feel better about my day one purchase.

Kajiba

I love this game.

Made a male character at first but didn't like it for some reason. Now i'm running around shooting shit and grinding places with a female that looks like Nicki Minaj lol.

This game gaf!!

I'm in the UK and this doesnt release til friday, but does this mean I can play it now?
It said pre-ordered yesterday.

You could just try it. I doubt it will work though since I had the "Ready to Start" message for the MCC. It will tell you it hasn't unlocked yet.

Garland7G

Asked this in the other thread but this seems like the proper place.
At what percent of the dl can you start playing the tutorial?

ChuckNyce

The disc in the tray gives you rights to the digital version.... If you try to play the game with the disc out it will ask you for a disc unless you purchase a license.. Since you had already started the install I'm assuming it just took out the option to purchase and left it at install.

You can download whatever you want... If I login as my brother I can download all of his games but if I log him out it will prompt me for the disc to be inserted when I go and play the game.

Ah ha, that makes sense. Was just interesting that it displayed under the "ready to install" section in Games and Apps. I've played and sold disk versions of Ryse, Dead Rising 3, and Forza 5 and none of those showed up under that section that I recall. Oh well I've uninstalled the disk install now and am now reinstalling the digital version. I'm sure it'll tell me I need the disk when I try to play but what the hell, I'll give it a shot.

VanWinkle

If I had one complaint so far, it's that there's not a huge amount of downtime where I can just explore without worrying about enemies everywhere. The city looks so cool but you can't really stop to admire it.

Onlythisfar41

Neo Member
This game is an absolute blast. It has the two hallmarks of a great open world game.

1. Even after playing for a few hours straight and standing up to turn the console off I find myself playing for another 20 minutes because I get wrapped up in how much fun Im having.

2. On the way to every single objective I get side tracked for a few minutes just running around causing mayhem.

Combat is very responsive and a ton of fun. Im also seriously enjoying pulling off amazing grinding and bouncing combos leading to even cooler kills.

This is just a great game.

It's like an expanded version of BioShock infinitesimal skyline combat. The skylines weren't used as much as I wanted. This game delivers.

Loving this game!

OrangeOak

This game is an absolute blast. It has the two hallmarks of a great open world game.

1. Even after playing for a few hours straight and standing up to turn the console off I find myself playing for another 20 minutes because I get wrapped up in how much fun Im having.

2. On the way to every single objective I get side tracked for a few minutes just running around causing mayhem.

Combat is very responsive and a ton of fun. Im also seriously enjoying pulling off amazing grinding and bouncing combos leading to even cooler kills.

This is just a great game.

About your second point.It's same for me but with that difference that I am getting side tracked for much more time than a few minutes.
It really is satisfying when you manage to make some great movement/fighting combo without touching the ground for some longer period of time.
Game is awesome

Top Bottom