• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Forsythia

As with almost every game, this comes with a few retailer exclusive pre-order bonuses (sigh). Any word of them becoming available for everyone after a while? I hate this shit.

anthonyOA

You know, I don't fully get the ragging of the games humour. It's seems no worse than something like conker's bad fur day yet it's being counted against it in a few reviews. If conked came back I have no doubt the humour would be of a similar tone. (I'm strictly speaking humour here).

From what I'm seeing and hearing it looks like a laugh. I have it on pre-order and can't wait (uk).

VanWinkle

The AMP system is the heart of this game as it embodies what the game is trying to accomplish which is a sense of customization and creativity.

Not only are you offered and reward ample weaponry, you are given the AMPs to change the characteristics of those weapons, and yourself, as well. This opens a canvas for players to really explore how they like to play and to create a build around that. I think it's deep, rewarding, fantastic and really nullifies the notion that this game is shallow or repetitive.

Fundamentally, I think this is on path to being Insomniac's best idea put in a game. We know how much better the R&C games got over time so hopefully this leads to bigger and better sequels.

It's basically a rune system, and it is definitely cool. I experienced it in a very similar way with Shadow of Mordor recently.

As with almost every game, this comes with a few retailer exclusive pre-order bonuses (sigh). Any word of them becoming available for everyone after a while? I hate this shit.
I'd like to know this too. I bought the Day One digital edition but I still don't think it came with everything.

Kajiba

UPS can't be fucking bothered to go up to the 14th floor and deliver my game.

:(

I will have my Sunset tomorrow.

Ups man didn't even ring my door bell when he/she dropped it off. Found out an hour later that the game was waiting at my door lol.

You know, I don't fully get the ragging of the games humour. It's seems no worse than something like conker's bad fur day yet it's being counted against it in a few reviews. If conked came back I have no doubt the humour would be of a similar tone. (I'm strictly speaking humour here).

From what I'm seeing and hearing it looks like a laugh. I have it on pre-order and can't wait (uk).

I think it's pretty great. I think it's less concerned with shock jockey humor and more about legitimately clever insights about game mechanics. The reviews seem pretty imbalanced towards the former and kinda chafing at the latter.

Loving it so far, still pressing the wrong buttons from time to time in hectic moments, will hopefully get better!

Yeah, it seems easy to get confused with the functionality of the X and A buttons. I can't wait to get home and get used to it! This day has been so long.

GeeDuhb

All these impressions are getting me HYYYYYPED! I went to Walmart at 6am before work this morning (in search of the bundle) and had the expected experience...a bunch of completely oblivious people working electronics who had no clue what I was talking about. The lady looked it up on the computer, tried to tell me it wasn't released yet, looked around in some boxes lying around the cash register area...finally after 10 minutes of this, she said she would go check the back. Lo and behold she came back 2 minutes later saying she found them, but had to find a manager to unlock the cage they were in locked up in. 5 minute later she came out with a box of 2 (apparently all they got) and I was able to score one!

Sitting here at work for the next 6 hours is going to suck! As others have said, I too am happy to be back in the Xbox family. Not going to lie, I have really missed the controller...

sbrew

Banned
This thread reads a lot like the Infamous: SS OT: tons of gushing praise and positivity.

I wonder what the chances are that future Late to the Party threads will be overwhelmingly negative like Infamous: SS's were.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This thread reads a lot like the Infamous: SS OT: tons of gushing praise and positivity.

I wonder what the chances are that future Late to the Party threads will be overwhelmingly negative like Infamous: SS's were.

I hated I: SS when it came out, and I'm enjoying this. So I don't know what to tell you.

Finally UPS shows up. Installing now.

Sadly I have to run some errands with my dad here in a bit so my Sunset Overdrive playtime will be delayed even further.

Streaming now for anyone on the fence or bored at work. . . .

twitch.tv/WheelHoss1

Edit: Ok, sorry. Forgot to appear online. Starting now.

rrc1594

What's the point of this post

Infamous was the last game I finished before starting SSO. SSO easily plays better, by a significant margin. Combat feels much better as well. I struggled to complete the unbelievably short Second Son campaign.

Forsythia

I promise you, you aren't missing much. There are already FAR too many weapons in the game which probably replicate the characteristics of any pre order weapon; at least that's what I think you're referring to.

Yeah, I know you're probably right, its just that I hate the fact that I don't have a 'complete' game at launch. :/ I'm still going to enjoy this, of course!

Pleasant surprise: quite a few of the challenges are actually challenging. So far, I haven't been able to get gold in any of the Salvage Scramble or Buck National ones. Seriously demanding :p

jond76

Banned
Played this before work. Met Buck. Super fun game.

Some really wild references in game. As I was flipping up to the roof of a tall building, the guy says: I'm awesome! They should put me in the sequel to Gymkata!

I got the reference and it cracked me up, but at the same time I was like: Who's gonna get that?!

Back in the R&C games I played, the weapons would change and evolve as you used them. I've only hit level 3 with any of my weapons so far in this game, does anything happen to the weapons upon leveling besides just stat increase and AMP unlocks?

Lucent

The Boo-Boo mission is sooooo much fun!

lol I laughed when my character (who was the small-bodied girl) said something like
"oh look the dog is following me! oh no it commited suicide"
or something like that. I laughed my ass off. I think the people who think this game is too try hard or whatever need to lighten up. I think it's been funny so far. Liked the mission where you're getting the
water bottles
and that
automated lady voice
said something at the end like
"i'm out bitches"
. Sorry I can't remember exactly how things were said. =p

Grisby

"Player need food badly."

Some nice lines in here.
It's like an expanded version of BioShock infinitesimal skyline combat. The skylines weren't used as much as I wanted. This game delivers.

Loving this game!
Yes. This is a good example but the generous auto aim doesn't frustrate here.

Some really wild references in game. As I was flipping up to the roof of a tall building, the guy says: I'm awesome! They should put me in the sequel to Gymkata!

I got the reference and it cracked me up, but at the same time I was like: Who's gonna get that?!

You did, and that's what matters. That's pretty awesome too. You can tell the developers just opened themselves up to adding whatever the hell they wanted to this game.

Majine

Banned
The humor is weird. For awhile, it's all innocent and clean jokes, then all of a sudden they swear like motherfuckers.

Garland7G

I got it, you have to be old I guess ;)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
there's so many references in the game. and most of them are so subtle/obscure/specific that if you don't know the source material, it'll go right over your head.

All these impressions are getting me HYYYYYPED! I went to Walmart at 6am before work this morning (in search of the bundle) and had the expected experience...a bunch of completely oblivious people working electronics who had no clue what I was talking about. The lady looked it up on the computer, tried to tell me it wasn't released yet, looked around in some boxes lying around the cash register area...finally after 10 minutes of this, she said she would go check the back. Lo and behold she came back 2 minutes later saying she found them, but had to find a manager to unlock the cage they were in locked up in. 5 minute later she came out with a box of 2 (apparently all they got) and I was able to score one!

Sitting here at work for the next 6 hours is going to suck! As others have said, I too am happy to be back in the Xbox family. Not going to lie, I have really missed the controller...

Was it $350? If not, are they gonna honor the price drop?

BradC00

Then I will love it. The Xbox 360 has Crackdown and Dead Rising which were some of the most fun games last gen.

Yea seems like a mix of crackdown and dead rising. really liking it so far. at first i wasn't sure but they know me and how i love just running around getting collectibles.

i'm addicted.

I went to Walmart at 6am before work this morning (in search of the bundle) and had the expected experience...a bunch of completely oblivious people working electronics who had no clue what I was talking about.
It still amuses me how little Walmart retail clerks care about customers. I remember having such headaches even getting a game checked out. Best Buy has the right idea with putting them in super cases so you can get it yourself. Target's system is also not that bad as well, but still annoying since you cannot take it to the register.

Man, I love how the customization lady talks up everything she's selling you and disses everything you own XD Excellent little touch.

Oh man I didn't catch that.

They really took the care to do something cool at every instance where they could have easily phoned it in at least so far.

There's a little moment of expositiony parody montaging that could have just let that be the sole, played out joke, but instead they ended each shot of the characters in a mock faux freeze frame that was so well animated and perfect.

It's been a long time since I've seen this level detail paid just in the service of fun.

Picked up the console bundle today, it's installing as we speak. I have class, hopefully when I get home it'll be finished. I'm extremely hyped to play it!

Crackbone

SO is the real deal.

Fun as hell. One of the better open world games I've played in a long time.

Haven't had a chance to jump into chaos squad yet. Any one have any multiplayer impressions?

Top Bottom