• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

One other thing I love about SO is that Insomniac actually gets open world design. There are very clear and distinct monuments and markers to help you navigate without a map. Areas are clearly defined and named just by looking at the architecture and signage, and its all multi-layered with very different realities when on the ground, wall-running or grinding two storys up or riding the rails high above the street level.

So many open world games fail to get this, and their overly copy/pasted neighborhoods make things difficult, or force an over-reliance upon a minimap.

Freeser

With ratings being so obscure nowadays how does SSOD stack up to other games? Is it more like a COD/Halo type M rating or closer to a GTA/Saints Row rating? Thanks.

Noobcraft

I picked it up earlier... It's an awesome game. I thought it was supposed to be easy but I've died several times so far. Also it's fast O_O and with the profanity filter on it sounds like Morse code lol.

Patroclos

Banned
One other thing I love about SO is that Insomniac actually gets open world design. There are very clear and distinct monuments and markers to help you navigate without a map. Areas are clearly defined and named just by looking at the architecture and signage, and its all multi-layered with very different realities when on the ground, wall-running or grinding two storys up or riding the rails high above the street level.

So many open world games fail to get this, and their overly copy/pasted neighborhoods make things difficult, or force an over-reliance upon a minimap.

I was thinking the same thing. The art style is great for accomplishing this.

nbraun80

One question about the style & amp system - is the traversal the only way to unlock your amps? Or do kills or kill-chains work into it as well? And in terms of traversal style, is it as much about variety as repetition? Are skill-chains all about mixing up different moves, or can you say get one by jumping across three cars in a row?

There's usually so much happening on-screen that I really haven't gotten the chance to closely examine the game's UI widgets.
from what I noticed is that it can really be a combo of all. You can grind back and forth on the same rail and keep the stack going by killing things or through traversal chains or even melee, app keep it going and gaining your bar. The cool part us when you get into badges and overcharges, if say you tend to grind a lot you can put your badge points into charging your bar meter up faster while grinding.

Leyasu

Banned
Glad to hear the game is good. I'm tempted to purchase an xbox just for this.

I have just finished a nice little session on this... The game is fucking awesome! If I didn't have an xbone and played this, I would buy one the next day!!!

I was in a chaos squad earlier and no one was talking. Before I could stop myself, I said "this is fucking awesome" within 15 seconds everyone was talking, the chaos squad was insane, and everyone loved it.

One of the best multiplayer games I've played to date..

Anyway, where is the GAFsquad thread people??

Edit: Oh yeah, my GOTY by a country fucking mile..

Leyasu

Banned
UWZLACo.gif

Do It!, Do It Now!

lol Dat gif!! I'm dying here

ironcreed

Banned
Just over an hour in and I am super impressed. The design of the world and how it flows together with the flawless traversal possibilities is a work of art. This may end up being one of the finest sandbox games I have ever played.

Oh, just on a side note. Is Floyd voiced by Samuel L. Jackson? Sounds just like him.

FordGTGuy

Banned
For those of you that bought Xbox Ones for this game, don't forget Horizon 2 is sitting there too and is pretty amazing too. :D

Etnos

Banned
There's definitely a learning curve. It might take an hour or so to get use to it. Game is really fun!

I think the way traversing works its a genius touch, it does take skill to move around and keep flowing. They made traversing in a open word game engaging again.

Lucent

I think the way traversing works its a genius touch, it does take skill to move around and keep flowing. They made traversing in a open word game engaging again.

It's much more fun than driving cars, that's for sure. I think this is actually even more fun than traversal in inFamous: Second Son was. And that was something I didn't think I'd be saying so soon. lol

Between this and Bayonetta 1&2, I haven't sat down like this and played games for long stretches in a good while. Having an absolute blast with this game. I'm not too big on the humor but it's not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Beautiful OT : D

Just a few more hours!!!

It's much more fun than driving cars, that's for sure. I think this is actually even more fun than traversal in inFamous: Second Son was. And that was something I didn't think I'd be saying so soon. lol

I think this is why I'm enjoying this so much more then a watchdogs or GTA. Traversal is the most fun part.

Simple fetch quests are made fun because of how I'm going to get there.

Sitting at work waiting to get off to go home and play this is killing me... I can't imagine what it must be like to be in Europe right now anticipating this game but they haven't gotten that taste of it yet.

To quote frank the tank "once it hits your lips, it's so good"

Been playing this for a while. Traveling around the world is Jet Set Radio levels of fun I really hope they make some Jet Set Radio outfits for your character.

JaggedSac

This is some fun shit. Had a good round of online earlier today with a full bunch. Were able to complete the final mission and was awarded with some swag and an amp. Racing between missions was fun. Wish the chaos had gotten a little higher since we handily trounced everything. Loving traversal so far and I haven't gotten air dash or the higher bounce yet so I am looking forward to that. Missions have been pretty entertaining so far. A nice mix of objectives.

Lucent

Been playing this for a while. Traveling around the world is Jet Set Radio levels of fun I really hope they make some Jet Set Radio outfits for your character.

Yeah I really want some Jet Set Radio stuff. Wouldn't be hard to make a Beat and Bubblegum costume at the least. lol

XxCGSxX

I recorded a video clip of Sunset Overdrive, I snapped the app and recorded the last 3 minutes. Then it told me it would take a while to appear on my profile. I can watch it in the upload app, but I can't save it, gives me the message "Clip not saved, sorry the clip you selected could not be saved. Please try again." So my questions are: will my clip eventually appear on my profile? If not, is it because I don't have Xbl gold? Sorry for asking this here, searching the internet for an answer and it's not helping me.

Garland7G

Well at 60% dl I'm able to start playing the real game it seems (past the tutorial where it usually stops) so that's awesome.

deviant1

So I get home today and pop the disc in the system only for my Xbone to not read the disc. FUCK!! It's been doing this for movies lately too, but this is the first game to give me this error (0x80820002). Guess I'm sending it off to MS for repair.

Top Bottom