• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

I have played about 16 hours of this over the last week and am consistently surprised with how much content there is. You are constantly unlocking new challenges, weapons, amps, overdrives, side mission, and of course main story stuff. I have only a handful of main story missions left but it will take me another 6+ hours to get through them because of how much side stuff keeps unlocking. And while the side missions aren't very structurally interesting, they are full of original writing and voice work so it makes playing them enjoyable. Main mission variety has also been really good, lots of unique stuff crafted for each mission. And I haven't even touched Chaos Squad.

Gosh this is a top notch game.

RdN

I sat down to play a couple hours after work tonight, fast forward 5h and I was still playing. Damn, this game is awesome. It's so much fun, it has been a good while since I loose track of time from a game.

Great job Insomaniac and Microsoft. Hopefully the game does really well and becomes a established franchise.

How are the achievements?

prepare for some collectibles on the level of AC flags. Seriously, the collectible icons will cover other things on the map when u get all the collectible maps because there are so many. At least the collectibles are worth stuff in here. Other than the collectible achievements, the only other ones I can see being extremely time consuming are the ones for leveling up weapons

george_us

Am I the only one not feeling this game? Played for about 40 minutes so far...and this game kind of makes me feel old. It goes so fast and the HUD is soooo busy I can't tell where I'm supposed to go or what to shoot at times. You need to keep your combo meter up but I feel like I can't pause for a second. Already died about 3 times before even finishing the tutorial where you need to fend off the waves after meeting Floyd.

Definitely need to spend some more time with it, but yeesh... maybe I'm just too used to fighting on the ground, the fast drive by aiming / shooting might just be too much for me.
I'm about three hours into it and I'm not really enamored with it either. Something about the game just feels very cold and mechanical to me despite the eye popping art style of the game. The humor is painfully unfunny, the weapons are dull from a functional standpoint, enemy design is lackluster and the mission design is uninspired. The only memorable mission I've played so far is
mechanical dog
one. On the positive side though, like I said, the art style is beautiful. I'll probably give it another couple of hours though. It's honestly a game I desperately want to love considering the initial trailer almost single-handedly sold me on a XB1.

prepare for some collectibles on the level of AC flags. Seriously, the collectible icons will cover other things on the map when u get all the collectible maps because there are so many. At least the collectibles are worth stuff in here. Other than the collectible achievements, the only other ones I can see being extremely time consuming are the ones for leveling up weapons

Nice, i love collectibles like banjo kazooie and some older titles.

So uh the game just customization is amazing. The issue is that once you can buy the Wolf Mask everything attire becomes "what can I combine with the wolf mask" lol

Now I have in my attires

1. Business suit wolf with closed jacket
2. Business suit wolf with open jacket
3. Fancy vest wolf
4. Denim jacket wolf

And all of them are with the white version of it. I am using the last one to play because I feel like a street version of the Hotline Miami guy

Holy shit we can confirm suit and tie? No rolled up sleeves or anything?????

Ohwiseone

I have not played much with this game.. I do enjoy it a lot.

I will say this.. .The mini-montage in little tokyo arcade is pretty good. I laughed.

Thought I wouldn't like some of the 4th wall stuff..but its effective.

I'm about three hours into it and I'm not really enamored with it either. Something about the game just feels very cold and mechanical to me despite the eye popping art style of the game. The humor is painfully unfunny, the weapons are dull from a functional standpoint, enemy design is lackluster and the mission design is uninspired. The only memorable mission I've played so far is
mechanical dog
one. On the positive side though, like I said, the art style is beautiful. I'll probably give it another couple of hours though. It's honestly a game I desperately want to love considering the initial trailer almost single-handedly sold me on a XB1.
Just from me watching vids it seems the Dash is pretty crucial to freely traversing and that is a major part of the game. Definitely got R*C and Jet set vibes. I would imagine if you don't like those games this might not be for you.

I doubt humor is going to rub me the right way either and I hate the F*bombs, but I can see immediately from just watching later level play this is a game that unlocks probably around 70% completion of story mode. Get all the abilities before you write it off.

Been a long time since a game grabbed me, but man this one did. Played for about five hours tonight, haven't done that for a game in a while, and it's not for lack of games. The gameplay and art and writing and pretty much everything are pretty much the best of the next gen only games I've played.

I'm not saying it's my GOTY, but it's already pretty damn close.

yeah, these collectibles seem a bit excessive. This is after me grabbing ones randomly while going around, and i am still missing one collectible map for this area.

JcDV3ew.jpg

I love map traversal in this game.Decided to go from one end of the map to the other without touching the ground.Only grind,boucne and wall run.Unfortunatelly I failed ;P
But map is really well designed and it's a lot of fun doing it.
Sorry for quality,it's xbox video plus my lack of knowledge about compression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgPjnS4wuc4

Does look fun to travel around but wasn't one of the knocks on Infamous that it was lifeless? I saw maybe 3 people / enemies at a time in that whole travel through the city

So I've put a few hours into the game now... God damn this is a fun game! I haven't gotten great at traversal, but hopefully that'll come with time.
If Sons of Anarchy wasn't on right now I'd probably still be playing lol

nbraun80

block-list my friend...use it...

"don't come in this thread and tell us not to be excited man!" You already made your point, so add me to block list and stfu.

I'll help you and do my part..
Lol wow sone people... Point out hoe his first post in here is a little silly and get a block me bro and a shut the fuck up. Yikes. anyways, I find myself getting to distracted by trials and side missions, really need to get to the main story and at least get air dash

Grisby

Much death,
Very corpses.

The gameplay loop in this is super satisfying. What's the quickest way to get more amps I wonder. Story progress or chaos squad? Don't really want to try MP yet because I feel underdeveloped.
Either I suck at this game or these point challenges are very hard! (to get perfect)
They can take a few tries. Feels real good to get the gold though.
Does look fun to travel around but wasn't one of the knocks on Infamous that it was lifeless? I saw maybe 3 people / enemies at a time in that whole travel through the city
I;ve noticed that sunset city does feel a little lonely at times today but at least the city itself is fun to be in. It's dense and fantastical in a way that Second Son isnt. I mean, Sucker Punch had to go the realism route since it was Seattle but I think the game suffered for it.

tuna_love

Banned
Yep. The game seriously only has like 3 enemies in the woke city. Infamous was said to be lifeless because it tried to make a real city

I totally forgot how much I enjoyed aggressive inline & jet set

I was expecting some crackdown & ratchet influences, loved insomniacs weapons upgrades systems and variety & that delivers as expected

And my brain is seeing the full range of colors again

Lol wow sone people... Point out hoe his first post in here is a little silly and get a block me bro and a shut the fuck up. Yikes. anyways, I find myself getting to distracted by trials and side missions, really need to get to the main story and at least get air dash
Cuz you're stinking up the thread. And Ridiculous, which is what you labeled my attempt to get a reasonable user review is not pointing something out that's a "little silly".

PM me or something bra...There's no need for us to continue this conversation. Both of us expressed our opinions. You need to check how your words come across in written form, your first post to me was already defensive, dismissive and argumentative, "little silly" implies you were being light-hearted. Now please, block list me, or PM if you feel you have something else to say.

other than that, let the SO uploads commence so I can keep watching!

Just bought it and played it for an hour or so and god damn.. GOD DAMN I'm loving it so far! So ridiculous and hilarious it has me laughing every 5 minutes at something.

I just spent ten minutes skating over a random intersection shooting like a hundred ODs that we're getting spit out of another ODs back.

Lifeless? Seriously?

Insomniac owns the IP, but not sure...think it would likely stay exclusives unless sales aren't good enough.

It's not coming to PS4. Insomniac may own the IP but MS published the game and at least currently there are no plans for it to come to PS4. Not to say that games that were MS published have never made it to a PS console, but the few that have take a huge while. They went with MS specifically to own the IP so they might not want to burn any bridges with MS.

It's not coming to PS4. Insomniac may own the IP but MS published the game and at least currently there are no plans for it to come to PS4. Not to say that games that were MS published have never made it to a PS console, but the few that have take a huge while. They went with MS specifically to own the IP so they might not want to burn any bridges with MS.
Yeah, i figured that as well..and Sony will likely just want to partner with Insomniac on more R*C titles (I think that movie is gonna bomb though without Pixar help lol)

Same was said for ME though tbh...either way, it's years off. and PC port is more likely...

Yeah, i figured that as well..and Sony will likely just want to partner with Insomniac on more R*C titles (I think that movie is gonna bomb though without Pixar help lol)

Same was said for ME though tbh...either way, it's years off. and PC port is more likely...

I don't see Insomniac getting bought by EA, so its not really relevant.

Back to the game on Xbox One... I've been a bit disappointed with some of the weapons, the one where you shoot records and a few of the others, I think I need to buy some new ones, I will be saving up my OD to get them. I like the TNTeddy the most, probably just because it kills quite a lot of them in one go

zorbsie

Chaos Squad missions need timers. Regenerating herker is destorying us and the team is more concerned about getting OD kills than working together to take down the herker. Impossible to do it alone but mission won't end. Only option is to leave. Totally sucks.

Aeqvitas

I think this game is one of the few to live up to the hype. I haven't been disappointed by anything, and the traversal is even better than I thought it would be. I never use fast travel because it is just so fun getting around and looking for collectibles even. The gameplay is solid, the weapons varied, and I haven't found the story cringey at all (it is ridiculous and satirical of games as a medium, but it makes me chuckle quite often). The game is so much about gameplay, and it is constantly satisfying.

Back to the game on Xbox One... I've been a bit disappointed with some of the weapons, the one where you shoot records and a few of the others, I think I need to buy some new ones, I will be saving up my OD to get them. I like the TNTeddy the most, probably just because it kills quite a lot of them in one go
I thought first ME was published by MS? Either way, don't think it's likely it'll come to anything else.

Also guys, I keep hearing how fun it is, but what is the difficulty like?

I thought first ME was published by MS?

Yes. But Bioware owned Mass Effect and EA bought Bioware. It took 5 years to come to PS3 because MS didn't let go of their exclusivity.

This isn't really a conversation for the Sunset Overdrive thread, considering its not going to happen here.

remember each weapon has its strengths against enemy types and to do weapon combinations. Personally I like to freeze enemies, then throw an acid sprinkler, and then tnteddy

I have played about 16 hours of this over the last week and am consistently surprised with how much content there is. You are constantly unlocking new challenges, weapons, amps, overdrives, side mission, and of course main story stuff. I have only a handful of main story missions left but it will take me another 6+ hours to get through them because of how much side stuff keeps unlocking. And while the side missions aren't very structurally interesting, they are full of original writing and voice work so it makes playing them enjoyable. Main mission variety has also been really good, lots of unique stuff crafted for each mission. And I haven't even touched Chaos Squad.

Gosh this is a top notch game.

I agree. So good.

Does your jump upgrade to go higher?

I thought first ME was published by MS?
It was. The only reason it went to other platforms was because EA bought BioWare/Pandemic. Even then, Microsoft still had the publishing rights for ME1 for 5 years. We don't know if EA bought them back or if they expired. I don't know why people use that example if they always ignore the fact that it took 5 years. Obviously EA would have ported it earlier if they could.

Top Bottom