• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Insomniac owns the IP, but not sure...think it would likely stay exclusives unless sales aren't good enough.

yeah don't think it'll come over to PlayStation i just thought that it was coming out as a multiplat as insomniac have been making PlayStation games for ages...oh well hope it sells they're a great developer

SegaShack

Loving the game so far. I'm 4 hours in. It's like an expertly well done magic city man type game. Level design is great, controls are perfect, everything is fast and fun. This game kicks ass. I've played all the Infamous games and was bored after an hour or two. This game just feels so right, I don't see myself getting bored any time soon.

Definitely my surprise hit of the year. KI and Forza 5 were great, but this might be my favorite XB1 game.

lpchrys

Banned
I've played about 7 hours. It's definitely the best game I have played this year so far. Like many others have stated, you just wonder where the time goes when playing this game. It hooks you once you get fairly decent at the traversal. I just got through the flying mission. Water skiing is awesome btw, the animation during that is top notch.

Hubble

GOTY for me. The game is literally filed with style. Swag all over the place. Not a game out that has so much style as this from every little detail from inside your apartment, to what happens when you die, all over the city, the customization, etc.

Logged four more hours straight and this is easily the most fun I've had playing a single player game probably since GTA 5 me thinks... I actually prefer this style of game over GTA 5 because getting around the city is so much fun... I don't see myself ever using fast travel in this game... I just got the air dash which sort of makes just ridiculously easy.. Instead of just traversing where it's possible I'm now looking to traverse with style.

Anyways I wonder how far I am in the game.
Just beat the giant fizzle blimp, laughes out loud to the reference to the movie the moon
. T
that mission where I had to traverse to the top of the tower to find that dudes parents was one of my favorite and I hope there is a few more like that

Finally is everyone finding chaos match already... I tried several times and each time it times out.

LOL Has anyone caught this!?

Xj51Atq.jpg

The game may be good and all but is it actually worth buying? If it takes 8 hours to finish it and sidequests are just doing the same stuff over and over etc. I'm thinking a rental may be in order.

How low could the price go for Black Friday?

GreenFear

Banned
Yeah I had to turn off the music to be able to continue playing this game, unfortunately it is really annoying. I wish it had the JSRF soundtrack or at least similar.

So I keep finding these shrine looking things in random places. I can walk up to them and examine them. They look like Day of the Dead, spanish art styles. The second time actually had some dialogue that came with it about their back story. Does anyone know what these are for? they seem to be so random.

If I don't find the game funny in the slightest, is it still worth picking up? Is the gameplay good enough to put up with the dumb name-dropping and references? I'm a little disappointed in the streams I've seen, for some reason I was under the impression that the game would be more akin to something like Tank Girl. If the game's still fun I'll give it a shot - I wanted to grab the bundle, after all - but I'm having second thoughts.

And I'm really surprised but so far I'm really liking the humor, way more than I thought I would
Same here - its grown on me, as has the game in general. So far each mission is a nice mix of moving across the city (always fun) followed by something new - encounters are getting more intricate, rewards are flowing nicely, and I keep finding myself in new areas I just want to explore and trick out at every chance - but am going to keep to the critical path for now as the game is still unfolding its systems.

Its a fun time, definitely.

If you sit still for a few seconds you'll be swarmed. Swarmed.
It reminds me a bit of Left 4 Dead. It has its quiet times, and then you might rile up a few baddies here and there and then again you might have the whole damn neighborhood spitting out enraged enemies out of every cubbyhole.

But yeah, for the most part, milling about on the ground is just asking for trouble. Or hell, just walking anywhere in general, though heights tend to offer more safety and there are some protected enclaves here and there.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
The game may be good and all but is it actually worth buying? If it takes 8 hours to finish it and sidequests are just doing the same stuff over and over etc. I'm thinking a rental may be in order.

How low could the price go for Black Friday?

eh, I dunno man, I've played a ton and am really good, I'm at 15 hours in right now on my home playthrough, I haven't finished the story, haven't done all the side quests, have barely done any challenges (3 / 54), and have only played Chaos Squad for 3-4 hours there.

So much to do, and if you like the traversal, that alone will keep you going. The collectibles, the vanity, the co-op. There's plenty to do here beyond just beat the campaign (plus all of those missions are replyable for time / score etc)

spannicus

eh, I dunno man, I've played a ton and am really good, I'm at 15 ours in right now on my home playthrough, I haven't finished the story, haven't done all the side quests, have barely done any challenges (3 / 54), and have only played Chaos Squad for 3-4 hours there.

So much to do, and if you like the traversal, that alone will keep you going. The collectibles, the vanity, the co-op. There's plenty to do here beyond just beat the campaign (plus all of those missions are replyable for time / score etc)

The game is awesome. Just got finished playing. Congrats cant wait to get into it some more. Bravo.

Danomeon

Neo Member
This thing is such a blast. Once the traversal mechanics really click and you start learning how to keep a chain of bounces, grinds, and wallruns together as you're swapping out weapons and taking out swarms of enemies on the streets below... it's gameplay bliss. The fact that every weapon is some crazy gadget is amazing too, and I really love the badge and AMP system for ranking up your abilities. I just spent an hour skating around the city and doing challenges, not for the rewards and completionism like in other open world games, but just because I like the traversal that much. It's so much fun.

One little thing I have to ask, though: Is the multiplayer mode not finding games for anyone else recently? I waited until tonight to give it a shot, but both times I've qued up for "all maps" and have ended up receiving a connection timeout after the system not finding any games (the searches take 5 minutes or so). My internet connection is fine, I tested it out in Titanfall and I was hopping into games with full lobbies really fast there.

Danomeon

Neo Member
I really really like the game but boy oh boy the humor sucks

I adore the game itself, but the humor is also hit-or-miss for me. The name of the first gun is really funny, but there are some lines that made me wince.

There's that one point during the tutorial where that omnipresent video game voice comes in and the game has this five minute sequence where it essentially rides out "THESE ARE CHARACTERS IN A VIDEO GAME THAT KNOW THEY'RE CHARACTERS IN A VIDEO GAME!" into oblivion. That joke has never been really funny for me, which makes stuff like "If I Were A Character In A Video Game..." or "Isn't there some menu I'm supposed to go to?!" elicit a wince or two from me.

Still, that one moment when
you show the other character you're carrying weapons by opening up the weapon wheel
was pretty good. Caught me off guard.

Mik317

soooo how long should the download take exactly.....
13% after a 20 minutes seems to be a bit much.

preorder cancelled. would not Xbone again

/inpatient gamer

mollipen

So I keep finding these shrine looking things in random places. I can walk up to them and examine them. They look like Day of the Dead, spanish art styles. The second time actually had some dialogue that came with it about their back story. Does anyone know what these are for? they seem to be so random.

They will lead you to one of my favorite parts of the game. Just be patient.

Majine

Banned
In Chaos Squad you feel like part of an army of grasshoppers. Going from place to place, destroying everything in your path.

One of the very best things about this game is the sheer level of interaction density. I mean, it's right there at the core of the gameplay, so it might go unappreciated, but they took the Assassin's Creed level of handholds and other traversal bits and pumped it up with a required level of interaction and timing to make it really fun to travel a crazy 3D city unlike the boring 'hold forward and watch' mode of Ubisoft's game. It's got just enough JSR/JSRF/THPS grinding-heavy movement mixed in with Crackdown/Ratchet&Clank-like shooting to fill out the rest. Obviously, that's not fair to merely describe it by just listing other games which may or may not have inspired it, but it's so very well-constructed if only the player is good at and likes to work the traversal system of constant timing and aiming for jumps and boosts. Insomniac needs to fashion this into a stealth-based game where the AI can be snuck around and hit from all of these possible angles given how ninja-like the traversal can feel. Just a fun world to fuck around in.

I'm jealous of you all. Looks like insomniac got their mojo back! I'm happy for them seem like a great studio. Dammit why is this not multiplat!! I'll eventually play it when I can fit the xbone in the budget but until then you all have fun :(

Mr White

I played it for 1 hour. And game is just fucking amazing. Didn't get too far in main campaign, just messed around, and I can say gameplay (mechanically-wise) is almost perfect. Forced myself to go to bed
Best Shit since Crackdown

The Goat

All the Crackdown talk is pushing me to pick it up. Loved me some Crackdown! The humor has me worried, though. Is it anything close to Bulletstorm's "humor"? I don't want to wince every few minutes.

Top Bottom