• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Delt31

just got it and like it so far. Two questions

1) Can I change the voice of my girl character?
2) Can I buy or get that AK47 gun that the first character you meet has (the one that has badass entrance)?

ViciousDS

Banned
played about a good 2 hours today took a long ass time to download even with a 70 megabit connectionbut man it looks beautiful on my 60 inch TV the colors really pop I really like the humor in the game, and it's just plain old fun. I cannot wait to try out chaos mode after work tomorrow

I agree. So good.

Does your jump upgrade to go higher?

I can't remember if you unlock it or if it's always there but you can hit "A" just before bouncing off of something and it basically doubles your jump height. It also seems that you jump height is increased by the distance you are falling from. Jumping from a crazy high spot and bouncing off a car results in massive air time.

I can't remember if you unlock it or if it's always there but you can hit "A" just before bouncing off of something and it basically doubles your jump height. It also seems that you jump height is increased by the distance you are falling from. Jumping from a crazy high spot and bouncing off a car results in massive air time.

Cool, I didn't realize you could do this. I'll have to test it out. I really need to get that air boost thing, it would make my life so much easier. =)

So uh... No, it actually works. Ok. XD

i dont remember exactly how it works, but I have seen someone else say something similar to this where they just have random games show up as bought. It was something about having a setting as the "home console" changed to a different console or something like that. Like, you will have access to a friends games if your console is set to their home console. That could be completely wrong, but it does have something to do with the home console setting lol

gotcha...

Anyone finding SO challenging difficulty wise?

I dont understand how so many people are calling it easy. I learned my lesson at first, if you stay on the ground, you get completely destroyed. But even when grinding and bouncing, I find it extremely easy to get killed. OD'd can jump up on the rails, or swarm around whatever objects you are bouncing on. I have died quite a few times so far

Ohwiseone

I dunno if it was intentional but there is a character that is in the introduction of the troop leader in the
Japanese History Center, and that Females Name is 4Kim... That's probably one of the best non-in your face jokes I heard so far in the game

I am pretty much in love with this game I think.

gotcha...

the game forces you to play differently from other shooters. Instead of crouching behind cover and aiming your weapons, this game is all about shooting while constantly moving around. I've died a couple of times because if you don't move around you will find out the enemies do a decent amount of damage. So it's definitely challenging if you aren't doing it the way it's meant to be played. And even then you can still die a couple of times. Deaths are great though, so many great revive animations.

Sydle

Finally played it. First impressions are it looks damn good and it feels great. Can't wait to sink more time into this over the weekend.

Hubble

Finally played it. First impressions are it looks damn good and it feels great. Can't wait to sink more time into this over the weekend.

I think its the most impressive next gen game graphically and it's on Xbox One. Looks amazing

Delt31

btw - found the controls INCREDIBLY easy. Really relived b/c so many complained about a break in period but things just felt so good from the start.

the game forces you to play differently from other shooters. Instead of crouching behind cover and aiming your weapons, this game is all about shooting while constantly moving around. I've died a couple of times because if you don't move around you will find out the enemies do a decent amount of damage. So it's definitely challenging if you aren't doing it the way it's meant to be played. And even then you can still die a couple of times. Deaths are great though, so many great revive animations.
sounds good...how did you do when you got familiar with the mechanics and the boss battles?

Is is DMC/Bayonetta hard?

Or 100% levels in Mario hard?

gotcha...

It's still a challenge for me to learn all the moves and how to interact with the environment to move fluidly through the map. That part is the hardest for me, but I'm really getting the hang of it now.

As far as the enemies, for me I think the challenge level is average. I've been knocked off telephone lines a few times by ODs and hit the ground only to get swarmed and die quickly. If you're on the ground or get knocked to the ground you really have to get back moving quickly.

To be honest though, I kind of like dying because of the fun animations I've seen afterwords haha. =) I haven't played chaos mode yet, so this was just my opinion on the story mode.

I'm kind of bummed that you just can't climb a building... And that a lot of them have certain predetermined ways to get to the top versus being able to make your own.

Also I wish the normal jump was a bit higher as it is really easy to miss even between gaps in the rails, the boost and then jump helps, but it seems silky it couldn't have just been increased a bit.

I also turned off the music, I don't mind punk rock, but it gets annoying when it's being played all the time.

It's still a challenge for me to learn all the moves and how to interact with the environment to move fluidly through the map. That part is the hardest for me, but I'm really getting the hang of it now.

As far as the enemies, for me I think the challenge level is average. I've been knocked off telephone lines a few times by ODs and hit the ground only to get swarmed and die quickly. If you're on the ground or get knocked to the ground you really have to get back moving quickly.

To be honest though, I kind of like dying because of the fun animations I've seen afterwords haha. =) I haven't played chaos mode yet, so this was just my opinion on the story mode.
Tks everyone for the impressions...

Truly helped...

Gonna gift this for a friend on Black Friday and jack his Box for a week '-)

Glad Insomniac seems to be back on track.

gmfer

Neo Member
Started played yesterday and I liked it... After work today I spen 2-3 hours and LOOOOVE IT! Best game in a while, cool graphs but more important: Fun as hell!

Reminds me Jet Grind Radio which is one of my favs all time.

Good Job Imsoniac!

sounds good...how did you do when you got familiar with the mechanics and the boss battles?

Is is DMC/Bayonetta hard?

Or 100% levels in Mario hard?

haven't reached a proper boss battle, but apparently there aren't many but the ones that are there are a highlight according to reviews. Even the bigger enemies when they appear feel like mini-bosses.

As to getting used to the game, it makes it easier but you can still get hurt easily due to enemy AI following you in cables and trying to knock you out.

The Flash

Banned
I just had an epiphany as I was redressing my character. There hasn't been a Gorillaz album for a couple of years because Jamie Hewlett has been working on this the whole time.

72DnpK0.png

Traversal is pretty fun, just wish that you could drop down from an under grind instantly. wall running is also pretty awkward, and inconsistent with the button press. So far I like the game, but it isn't anything mind-blowing for this current gen.

I felt like I sucked real bad because I couldn't get a hang of the traversal. So I went online so that other people sucking more would make me feel better lol

Anyone else think online was super hard?? I was kinda hoping when I died the game would display "GIT GUD" on the screen. It did push me to learn the traversal a lot quicker though. Now that I'm doing a lot better at traversal the standard game seems super easy.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
They went with MS specifically to own the IP so they might not want to burn any bridges with MS.
Heh. Insom's paradoxical dilemma with "owning the IP" in a nutshell. Seems to be off to a good start though, so maybe they won't have to worry about solving that problem anytime soon.

I just had an epiphany as I was redressing my character. There hasn't been a Gorillaz album for a couple of years because Jamie Hewlett has been working on this the whole time.

72DnpK0.png

Damn I'm a big Gorillaz fan and didn't even know it. Now that you mention it the art style and clothing definitely fits.

Mercutio

I hated Infamous. HATED it. Pretty but completely vapid.

This game? This is what these need to be now. I wandered around for hours, just messing with things and playing with the mechanics.

Awesome, AWESOME game.

Anybody know a particular download percentage I am able to start playing at for the digital version? I'm new to this.

Sorry if it's been asked a bunch I looked around and couldn't find it being asked.

Bgamer90

Banned
Anybody know a particular download percentage I am able to start playing at for the digital version? I'm new to this.

It depends on the game.

Edit: Thought this was the price drop thread. My mistake. Shouldn't be anything more than 25% though I would guess (since it's a single player focused game).

Beloree

Neo Member
Could we stop the port begging is this thread ? I clicked on the last page and more than half of posts are port begging, I suppose OT thread is where we should discuss about actual game ?
I'm up to the bushido temple part and here is my impression so far.
-Game is just pure fun ( that robot dog mission lmao), way better than I expected.
-Graphic is good, art direction is realy goooood.
-Traverse is top notch in open world games, no more holding/tapping one button to move around like other games, especially later in game when you unlock more combo and comfortable with the button, everything become so fast and fluid. I usually use quick travel whenever it is possible but not in this game.
-Gameplay is better than any open world game I have played because excellence traverse play big role in it and there are combo meter + amps to add another layers of depth to the game. There are variety of enemies but nothing standout so far. Mission is not so repetitive so far, some are really smart designed .
-Boss fight can use more difficulty ? ( only defeated one-
Fizzie
, not sure about the rest)
- Music is OK
-Character customization is so good that I spend 5mins every times I go back to base to buy new stuff and change the look of my character.

In my opinion, game is way better than dead rising 3 and Infamous second son (I cant even finish these 2 games), if you own a xbox one then you should pick up this game asap. 9/10
Now I have to get back to my study, why all good games are release in this time of the year :(

So I just played the hell out of this game all day and just beat the story. Fantastic game, super fun which is what all games should aim to be. I found the breaking of the fourth wall hilarious. And the art style is one of my favorites. Really enjoyed it.
And oh my god the neogaf mention near the ending

I'm really loving this game so far. It's like the perfect blend of Crackdown and JSRF. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed traversal this much in a video game.

The controls were pretty easy to get the hang of too. I thought the controls felt pretty good after about 5-10 mins. I don't find the humor to be anything particularly intrusive(so far) and it can even be a little funny at times.

The soundtrack is just okay and I wish there was a dedicated wall run button(instead of it being contextualized), but that's just me nitpicking.

The artstyle is sublime and the scope of the game is impressive. This is definitely a GOTY contender imo.

Delt31

just got it and like it so far. Two questions

1) Can I change the voice of my girl character?
2) Can I buy or get that AK47 gun that the first character you meet has (the one that has badass entrance)?

anyone know? seems like no to both

nbraun80

I'm kind of bummed that you just can't climb a building... And that a lot of them have certain predetermined ways to get to the top versus being able to make your own.

Also I wish the normal jump was a bit higher as it is really easy to miss even between gaps in the rails, the boost and then jump helps, but it seems silky it couldn't have just been increased a bit.

I also turned off the music, I don't mind punk rock, but it gets annoying when it's being played all the time.
Worth noting you do unlock and air dash in the campaign thay helps a lot with those jumps you barely miss without it. :)

Yaranaika

This game is amazing.
I can't stop playing. This is the most hours I've spent playing a game in a single day in the last 5 years.
I have a short attention span when it comes to most games, ~1 hour, but this has me hooked.

Daigoro

Sorry if it's been asked a bunch I looked around and couldn't find it being asked.

its at least like 75% for this one. at 25 you can play the intro, then it stops and loads again. at 50% it still wasnt ready for me to continue. its gonna be a while...

My GOTY was going to end up being between Dark Souls II and a possible Dragon Age Origins unless all the previews and early impressions are completely off. Now we have SO. Decisions decisions.

Bgamer90

Banned
Guys, I think SSOD may be GOTY material right here.

It definitely is for me. One of the few games to actually put a smile on my face this year (as cheesy as that may sound).

The only other games that have done that to me this year were Titanfall and Mario Kart 8.

Top Bottom