• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Game is pretty dang good, don't think I'm into it as much as some of you, but maybe it will click more with me as it goes. Really like the way it looks, controls are easy enough to pull of all the crazy moves, don't really like the shooting mechanics too much though and the characters and story haven't made me laugh once. I feel like it's gonna grow on me though because I kind of have the urge to play it and it's 4 am right now.

Hubble

All the Crackdown talk is pushing me to pick it up. Loved me some Crackdown! The humor has me worried, though. Is it anything close to Bulletstorm's "humor"? I don't want to wince every few minutes.

I am convinced those people complaining about the humor are haters. The game has a funny flair to it. Minor spoiler:
One small example to give you a taste, is a "Announcer" with an announcer/broadcast game voice sound appears out of nowhere to give you directions after the player asks how to do something. Stuff like that with high production values make the game funny

I am convinced those people complaining about the humor are haters. The game is genuinely funny. Minor spoiler:
One small example to give you a taste, is a "Announcer" with an announcer/broadcast game voice sound appears out of nowhere to give you directions after the player asks how to do something. Stuff like that with high production values make the game funny

Or maybe they're in my boat and just don't find it funny. I haven't cringed at anything though, but the game is definitely not funny to me.

I just love the look on this fuckers face.

VgZU5ud.jpg

roHKyEz.jpg

JambiBum

So does anyone know anything about the collectibles that aren't the stuff you use for upgrades? The eavesdropping and stuff? I haven't found a single one of those lol.

Also this happened. I wasn't even mad.

All the Crackdown talk is pushing me to pick it up. Loved me some Crackdown! The humor has me worried, though. Is it anything close to Bulletstorm's "humor"? I don't want to wince every few minutes.

You won't be wincing every few minutes. You may not find it funny though. Humor is subjective. I think the humor aspect is the only thing that people who haven't played the game have in their arsenal to raise concern with.

I haven't played a game this much in a single day in ages. Story seems to have moved to the final island. Haven't really touched challenges yet, just story missions and a ton of exploring. Have about a third of each collectible type and I've spent hours just traversing and stumbling on them.

Once you get all your moves (air dash, the super bounce) traversal in this game is just wonderful. Quick, responsive, and involved (in the best way). I've seen the traversal called "simple" but I don't think that is accurate. You'll be pressing RB, X, and A in every combination imaginable to get around the city. You're never going to be unable to get somewhere because the controls are difficult but moving through the city skillfully does take some learning.

Getting to the top of your first building in Infamous Second Son is a great rush. So fast! But then you're met with the sad realization that its just too easy to zip up every structure. You have to work to climb in Sunset Overdrive but it feels so good.

The humor isn't even that prominent IMHO. That is not what the game is about. Don't worry about it, people who complain about it are ignoring the gameplay abundance.

Rourkey

Loving all the feedback game sounds great especially when crackdown is mentioned!! gonna clear my diary for the weekend Friday is too long!

ekim

Oh, okay. Never getting it, then ;)

Oh it's not that hard in the end. Remember that you aren't allowed to touch the floor even though doing a dodge roll increments your combo meter. Maybe find a spot where you can go in circles with some rails, cars etc... the home base should be fine for that.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Yep used the US store and was playing.

Fucking fantastic game. Although I've got my Nothin' but the hits weapon, but where is everything else?

How does the counting for that work? Just new grinding/jumping points or also jumping off/on the same rail?

I think you need to change rail, if i remember correctly.

You can simply swap between the same two things. After seeing that was an achievement I knew it'd eat at me if I got a big combo and dropped it so I simply bounced between two platforms and got it pretty quickly.

Also, the achievement doesn't pop until you land so don't be worried when it doesn't immediately pop up.

Edit:
So does anyone know anything about the collectibles that aren't the stuff you use for upgrades? The eavesdropping and stuff? I haven't found a single one of those lol.
I'm decently far into the game (I'll hazard a guess and say about halfway based on forts/regions) and the game hasn't done anything anything to prompt those other three exploration things to collect but I did manage to come across a place to tag on my own during a mission. I would imagine it'd be a common tag spot for people but I can't remember the specifics if I jumped up that way on my own or if the game pushed me in that direction. The tag spot was a big billboard with something about "Pay to have your add here!" sort of message.

Still haven't come across an eavesdrop or the viewpoint thing, whatever that one was called. But generally I've been fairly focused on story missions and doing some side missions. Skipping most the challenges, too. Figured I should get as many of the mechanics out of the way before I focus on the rest. After the
air dash
does the game introduce any more mechanics? A simple yes or no is fine. And what I spoilered isn't a story spoiler at all, just a description of a mechanic.

This is genuinely some of the most fun I've had with a game in a long-ass time.

I finished my session for today with the Captain Ahab gun; the harpoon was one of my favorite weapons in Crackdown, so I was quite pleased to see that this game has an equivalent. My only complaint is that it doesn't seem possible to prowl around Sunset City in a police cruiser with half a dozen gang-bangers stapled to the front. :(

Also, is there any way to save characters?

Also, is there any way to save characters?

Do you mean the folks in the cages? The game seems somewhat bizarre about giving the prompt for releasing the folks in the cages. You need to clear the area of enemies but I've had it wait a long time for it to finally give the prompt. You just get money (I recall one giving around $1,800).

Edit: And for jstevenson: I'm assuming it's not a big concern but any chance controller configuration could come in a future patch? I'd love to be able to swap RB and LB. I'm constantly hitting the wrong one than intended after putting over six hours into the game. I still find myself hitting the wrong buttons because it seems so backwards in my head.

Also, and this is likely due to loading, but maybe some option to flip for quick retries? I redid a challenge a number of times and it's a little frustrating having it do the camera pan, go to another screen to show the rewards (again), and then a few seconds tick down before control is given back. Altogether it's only something like 8-10 seconds I'm guessing but when you're aiming for a gold and retry a half dozen times that's a full minute of jamming on A and waiting.

Do you mean the folks in the cages? The game seems somewhat bizarre about giving the prompt for releasing the folks in the cages. You need to clear the area of enemies but I've had it wait a long time for it to finally give the prompt. You just get money (I recall one giving around $1,800).

Sorry, my wording was vague. I meant to ask if there was an menu option to have multiple custom characters (e.g. male and female) saved for ease of switching.

Sorry, my wording was vague. I meant to ask if there was an menu option to have multiple custom characters (e.g. male and female) saved for ease of switching.

If you simply mean different appearances than yes. Go to the vendor where you can customize and if you go to "Outfits" and click on "Player Sets" where you can save custom outfits that include every change EXCEPT body type. Hair and face are saved along with all the clothing customization and such. The only thing you'll need to do is go in and change to the appropriate body type.

But if you're meaning a completely separate character with its own progression under a single Gamertag I don't believe there's any way.

turcy

man, bought the bundle today [white box is segsy], came home, set it up, loaded up sunset overdrive [after a long download & install] and...

CRUSHED. BLACKS.

my first few hours with the xbone were very depressing, until i figured out how to fix the RGB problems - now i can safely say sunset overdrive is beautiful!

it's amazing how much the RGB levels being messed really amped up the aliasing levels... i was like "900p is THIS bad hunh?"

fixed the RGB, now i don't mind 900p AT ALL.

If you simply mean different appearances than yes. Go to the vendor where you can customize and if you go to "Outfits" and click on "Player Sets" where you can save custom outfits that include every change EXCEPT body type. Hair and face are saved along with all the clothing customization and such. The only thing you'll need to do is go in and change to the appropriate body type.

Ah, I must have somehow overlooked this. Thanks!

man, bought the bundle today [white box is segsy], came home, set it up, loaded up sunset overdrive [after a long download & install] and...

CRUSHED. BLACKS.

my first few hours with the xbone were very depressing, until i figured out how to fix the RGB problems - now i can safely say sunset overdrive is beautiful!

it's amazing how much the RGB levels being messed really amped up the aliasing levels... i was like "900p is THIS bad hunh?"

What did you do to fix the crushed blacks? It was my understanding that those are inherent to the way the Xbox One handles its gamma curve.

Jrs3000

What did you do to fix the crushed blacks? It was my understanding that those are inherent to the way the Xbox One handles its gamma curve.

Set the Xbox rgb to limited instead of full along with tv to match or have tv at auto, you may need to re calibrate the color settings after the change but that depends on your tv.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
does it say "sold out"? if so - just play further.

Dirty Harry can be bought. You only get 2 weapons at the start, three if you got the day one edition.

I got the Deluxe Day One edition. So there's a whole bunch of weapons I should have plus the Fizzie outfit.

The only weapon I have is the Nothin' but the hits to select. The others are the standard stuff. I don't even have the option to see the weapons I should have.

derFeef

I got the Deluxe Day One edition. So there's a whole bunch of weapons I should have plus the Fizzie outfit.

The only weapon I have is the Nothin' but the hits to select. The others are the standard stuff. I don't even have the option to see the weapons I should have.

Those weapons are skins for your melee weapon, which you can choose from the vendor in the Customize tab.

tuna_love

Banned

Melee is from clothes vendor

abadguy

Banned
Ups man didn't even ring my door bell when he/she dropped it off. Found out an hour later that the game was waiting at my door lol.
The same thing happened to me when they delivered my Xone. It's like wow just gonna leave this on my door step without even so much as knocking?

Discusguy

I love everything about this game. There isn't anything I can add that hasn't been said. Just wish it would have released closer to the weekend.

For me this game would be a system seller

Leyasu

Banned

CRUSHED. BLACKS.

Did you just change it to pc on the xbox or did you adjust the tv settings instead?

GHG

Gold Member
Are there any races in this game or anything similar?

Even online races where you are up against other people and have to get to another point on the map as quickly as possible by any means possible?

I just read something that likened the game to mirrors edge in some ways and that has me intrigued as I loved mirrors edge...

Top Bottom