• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Are they being interrogated? =)

menace-gif.gif

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm right there with you. I think I let the hype get to me just a bit too much, especially considering I had no intention of buying the game before I read all the glowing reviews and praise in this thread.

Hopefully my feelings change. I am still pretty early on. But as it stands I'm kind of scratching my head at all the GOTY talk.

You are "still pretty early on". There's more missions outside of tower defense as you move along in the game.

I was also surprised at how expensive some of the amps are in-game. I'm sure you unlock additional ones outside of the store as you progress through the story (like with weapons), but they seem pretty pricey right off the bat.

Southside Jim

Neo Member
Managed to squeeze an hour in last night and need to echo all the positive impressions here. Just my kind of game (especially as a man with an unhealthy Dreamcast obsession). I actually caught on with the controls fairly quickly and love that grinding requires an input; so sick of games that play themselves.The trick will be to blend the traversal with the combat, but I know that will come.

And one last thing: I think the character customization is a really big deal. This being a new IP, I'm wondering if Imsoniac was weighing the pros and cons of not having a marketable "mascot" so to speak.

I'm glad they went with the player-focused customization and let the world and mechanics, essentially, be the driving force of the marketing.

This is the game for me.

I want that white controller now!!!

Yeah the white controller is fucking nice ! I think it's my favourite controller now, design and color wise.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft will make it a standard but not this holiday, they probably want to push sales of the bundle more. Early next year though, i expect both the white console and the white controller to be sold separately.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I played 5 hours so far and I only had to play night defense 2 times so far. Don't know if it does occur more often.
I'm about as far as you, only 2 night defense missions so far.

I will say the second one was a lot more fun than the first now that I knew what the hell I was doing. Plus I had better weapons and you could place your own defenses.

I will say the second one was a lot more fun than the first now that I knew what the hell I was doing. Plus I had better weapons and you could place your own defenses.

Agreed. With all the traps and enemies the style meter gets really high and that's when the awesome crazy shit from all the amps starts happening. It's pretty wild and a lot of fun. I've only done 2 in the 5 hours or so I've played as well, so it's not even close to being a major part of the game. BTW, anyone out there just not fast traveling? I have so much fun going from place to place that fast travel just seems wrong.

sunofsam

Yeah - 2nd one was much more fun - racked up lots of kills with dumping those Acid Bears at the main barricades.

Played a night defense in Chaos mode as well - it was frantic and super fun as well.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Played my first Chaos Squad last night.

Game of the forever.

Holy moly.

We failed all of the mission bonuses leading up to night defense, and only got the chaos up to about 30% or so.

My guess is everyone was pretty under powered at this point to do much more than that. One mission in particular that was really fun was to kill a regenerating Hurker. All 5 of us were just lobbing everything we had at the guy for 20 minutes before he finally went down and everyone was shouting expletives when it finally happened.

No one had traps, so it's probably a good thing that we didn't get much more in the way of chaos going, but we made it through ok.

I can't say for sure that it held 30 FPS exactly the whole time, but it felt like it did. And good god, I don't know how it did. The amount of stuff happening on screen at once during the night defense was crazy town.

I got a spin. I don't know what that means yet.

Giggzy

Agreed. With all the traps and enemies the style meter gets really high and that's when the awesome crazy shit from all the amps starts happening. It's pretty wild and a lot of fun. I've only done 2 in the 5 hours or so I've played as well, so it's not even close to being a major part of the game. BTW, anyone out there just not fast traveling? I have so much fun going from place to place that fast travel just seems wrong.

I'm definitely not fast traveling. Traversing through Sunset City is so much fun. I feel like you wouldn't get the full experience of the game if you fast travel everywhere! I'm also wanting to collect all the collectibles, so that's another reason why. All my money is going towards buying maps :p

I did use the fast travel once however, as I heard the animations for it were great. Not sure if there are multiples like re spawns, but the one I saw was awesome.
pull out a bottle of beer and get drunk to the point of falling flat on your face and waking up at your destination in a bathroom:p

Game of the forever.

Holy moly.

We failed all of the mission bonuses leading up to night defense, and only got the chaos up to about 30% or so.

My guess is everyone was pretty under powered at this point to do much more than that. One mission in particular that was really fun was to kill a regenerating Hurker. All 5 of us were just lobbing everything we had at the guy for 20 minutes before he finally went down and everyone was shouting expletives when it finally happened.

No one had traps, so it's probably a good thing that we didn't get much more in the way of chaos going, but we made it through ok.

I can't say for sure that it held 30 FPS exactly the whole time, but it felt like it did. And good god, I don't know how it did. The amount of stuff happening on screen at once during the night defense was crazy town.

I got a spin. I don't know what that means yet.

Yeah as incredible as it was to watch multiplayer STREAMS, when you and like 6 (or is it 8? I couldn't even tell) are running the same grind loop, exploding teeming swarms of OD below, all of you right next to each other.

There's nothing that's ever been like this game.

Giggzy

Game of the forever.

Holy moly.

Is there voice communication in chaos squad? Or were you in a party?

Picked this up yesterday and I can see this at least being my game of the year. I say "at least" because I found myself grinning like an idiot the entire time I had the controller in my hand. I'm 31 but something about Sunset Overdrive reminds me of playing games in my teens, when I would have to scrimp and save for a single game and then take way more joy out of playing it.
I'm seriously loving the traversal and I'm really liking the humor too. Great title all around. Congratulations Insomniac, this is your best work to date.

I played for about an hour or two last night and honestly I'm feeling kinda "meh" about it.

It controls fine, the traversal is neat and the characters/dialog is clever, but if those overcharge fountain thingy defense segments happen frequently throughout the game, I'm really going to be unhappy... I know they're completely different styles and settings, but it gave me a Brutal Legend vibe; I expected nothing but running, jumping, grinding and shooting, and they force me to play a trimed game of tower defense?

Keep playing man, I was put off a bit by the first night defense but by the time the second one rolls around it'll all make a little more sense.

w00zey

My kids keep asking me to play this game. What is it like if if gore/vulgarity is turned off. I guess really I mean are there questionable cut scenes that still happen? I don't mind the actual action itself.

I am not very far in to it and they saw me play for a few minutes (and in that time way too much language for them).

urge26

I played for about an hour or two last night and honestly I'm feeling kinda "meh" about it.

It controls fine, the traversal is neat and the characters/dialog is clever, but if those overcharge fountain thingy defense segments happen frequently throughout the game, I'm really going to be unhappy... I know they're completely different styles and settings, but it gave me a Brutal Legend vibe; I expected nothing but running, jumping, grinding and shooting, and they force me to play a timed game of tower defense?

I'm in camp crickets right now after about an hour, although I'm going to keep chugging along tonight. When does this game get good? I've heard the Bombcast impressions.

Keep playing man, I was put off a bit by the first night defense but by the time the second one rolls around it'll all make a little more sense.

Yeah by the second one I had better weapons and winning that thing solo was an incredible rush.

Also, I'd recommend to all to spend your cans as soon as you get them. The game throws really tough differentiation at you really soon and if you only have a basic rollout you're gonna have a bad time.

GreenFear

Banned
My kids keep asking me to play this game. What is it like if if gore/vulgarity is turned off. I guess really I mean are there questionable cut scenes that still happen? I don't mind the actual action itself.

I am not very far in to it and they saw me play for a few minutes (and in that time way too much language for them).
Gore is not even what I would call it in this game, everything just explodes with orange goo. When vulgarity is turned off it just bleeps the curse words but it's not too effective, you can still tell what they are saying.

Oh boy, that's probably at least most of the morning then haha. Good job our Sky package has an unlimited download limit.

Some folks have had issues with speed on the downloads, however I pre ordered Monday morning and checked my DL queue and hour later and it was done. Got home and when it unlocked it was ready.

I have 60mbs down and no cap too

I'm in camp crickets right now after about an hour, although I'm going to keep chugging along tonight. When does this game get good? I've heard the Bombcast impressions.

Very soon. Have you really gotten the hang of the controls yet? They came naturally to me but for some people it's taken a bit longer.

I've also found the game gets more fun as you unlock more weapons. The first few weapons (with the exception of the Overcompensator) are kind of bad.

I knew I shouldn't of come in this thread. Wasnt planning on getting this yet due to having Mordor, Evil Within and Last of Us to play and Halo Mcc being out in a couple of weeks.

But I've just ordereded this for delivery tomorrow. My willpower is none existent at this time of year with all the new releases

I knew I shouldn't of come in this thread. Wasnt planning on getting this yet due to having Mordor, Evil Within and Last of Us to play and Halo Mcc being out in a couple of weeks.

But I've just ordereded this for delivery tomorrow. My willpower is none existent at this time of year with all the new releases

It's worth it. Insomniac deserves the support and games like this don't come along very often. Hopefully, you enjoy the shit out of it, because I do

Delt31

Man I love this game. SO might be the first open world game where I love doing all the little missions and challenges just because the traversal is so fun and the weapons are so enjoyable to use and power up. I am especially loving the teddy bear launcher so far.

You can just tell that Insomniac prioritized fun over everything else. Weapons don't have to be reloaded. Ammo is easy to come by. You aren't punished very much for dying. The timings and positioning for grinding/wall-running/bouncing are very forgiving.

I feel the same way about this game. The ability to get through the city is so much fun by itself, that it helps any fatigue from the missions that seem a bit fetchy right now (early on).

As someone who doesn't drink the kool aid (I think Bayonetta 2 is very overrated), this game has impressed me with it's style/presentation and just succeeds as being fun with a story that has me interested and humor that works the majority of the time.

w00zey

Gore is not even what I would call it in this game, everything just explodes with orange goo. When vulgarity is turned off it just bleeps the curse words but it's not too effective, you can still tell what they are saying.

Yeah the actual gore didn't seem that bad. Thanks sounds like it is a no go for them though. Beeping is pretty much a joke :)

siah

Banned
I thought I would be a bit turned off by the humor however I found myself laughing hard plenty of times already.

What's so great about Sunset Overdirve is that it feels like so many games yet their isn't a single game like it; if that makes any sense.

Mrbob

Chaos Squad is pretty fun. Played it with a friend last night. I liked most of the mini challenges. The only one I didn't enjoy was the challenge where you have to destroy an enemy base. It is the mission where there are missile towers which need to be taken out first then you can destroy the base. Perhaps we were doing it wrong or under leveled, but the only way I saw how to destroy the base would be to hop on top and melee slam it. The whole process felt counter productive to the rest of the game where you are meant to feel cool and stylish while doing things. If there is a better way to do this let me know.

I haven't played this game yet, but I can't wait to. It's great to read all of the positive impressions. It's obvious Insomniac is at their best when they are doing what they've ALWAYS done best... Making fun, colourful, humorous games. I feel like Fuse and Resistance really were going against who they are as a studio, and it really showed in the design. Not that those games weren't good, but you can really feel the love they put into their Ratchet and Spyro games, and apparently Sunset Overdrive as well.

Kssio_Aug

Ive just done the helicopter mission. I have not made any amp yet, should I buy the collectable maps or invest the cans in new weapons?

Ive just done the helicopter mission. I have not made any amp yet, should I buy the collectable maps or invest the cans in new weapons?

Weapons first IMO. I'm trying max out my weapon wheel before I spend any money on maps. You'll find a bunch of collectibles just randomly traversing the city.

And the freeze gun (forget what it's called) definitely comes in handy over the next few missions.

Mrbob

Does Chaos Squad have matchmaking?

Yeah. The game will throw your party into a match of 8. Although the last game 4 people bailed out at the end and a new Chaos Squad match started with only four of us, which was odd.

I like that weapons upgrade in Chaos Squad mode.

Top Bottom