• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

tuna_love

Banned
Are there any races in this game or anything similar?

Even online races where you are up against other people and have to get to another point on the map as quickly as possible by any means possible?

I just read something that likened the game to mirrors edge in some ways and that has me intrigued as I loved mirrors edge...
Yeah you race to each objective in chaos squad. I think 1st and 2nd get points

So many culture references........one minute im shooting with a bowling ball gun called the dude and the next im being rezzed from a telephone box like Bill and Ted

I love this game

I am convinced those people complaining about the humor are haters. The game has a funny flair to it. Minor spoiler:
One small example to give you a taste, is a "Announcer" with an announcer/broadcast game voice sound appears out of nowhere to give you directions after the player asks how to do something. Stuff like that with high production values make the game funny
??

It's just not everyone's taste.

People who don't like Simpsons are haters? Your logic is illogical lol...

JambiBum

You can simply swap between the same two things. After seeing that was an achievement I knew it'd eat at me if I got a big combo and dropped it so I simply bounced between two platforms and got it pretty quickly.

Also, the achievement doesn't pop until you land so don't be worried when it doesn't immediately pop up.

Edit:
I'm decently far into the game (I'll hazard a guess and say about halfway based on forts/regions) and the game hasn't done anything anything to prompt those other three exploration things to collect but I did manage to come across a place to tag on my own during a mission. I would imagine it'd be a common tag spot for people but I can't remember the specifics if I jumped up that way on my own or if the game pushed me in that direction. The tag spot was a big billboard with something about "Pay to have your add here!" sort of message.

Still haven't come across an eavesdrop or the viewpoint thing, whatever that one was called. But generally I've been fairly focused on story missions and doing some side missions. Skipping most the challenges, too. Figured I should get as many of the mechanics out of the way before I focus on the rest. After the
air dash
does the game introduce any more mechanics? A simple yes or no is fine. And what I spoilered isn't a story spoiler at all, just a description of a mechanic.

Something I found out on accident after I tagged a billboard, once you do one of those collectibles, you can buy maps from two hat. I have no idea where I did a high point but I guess I did somewhere along the way. For eavesdropping you have to hack into the random satellites that are around.

I don't see any Mirrors Edge in this...
It's like Crackdown with more traversal options.
Yeah, the only Mirrors Edge I got was the parkour system.
It is funny this game has the same mechanics as Sonic Lost World but executed way better. The rush button actually makes sense here. It is not easy to balance rail grinding and shooting. The game can be as fast or slow as you need it to be. I wanted it to start slow to get used to the mechanics.

Jaxx

Banned
i've been feeling its like if Dead Rising & Infamous had a baby...

As someone that already bought this and is now just waiting for their console to arrive, what you've described sounds terrible. I hate both of those games. So I'm going to put my fingers in my ears and yell LA LA LA LA LA and pretend I never read it. It's JSR + Crackdown...it's JSR + Crackdown...lalalalalala

E92 M3

I find the humor very enjoyable. Don't know why everyone was criticizing it. Yes, it's not some kind of psuedo-intelligent social commentary on the current state of affairs, but it is fun humor designed for a video game. I don't take video game seriously and been laughing a lot at what Sunset Overdrive has been presenting.

As of today, my ONLY problem with the game is music choice. I think they went in a horrible direction with music.

As someone that already bought this and is now just waiting for their console to arrive, what you've described sounds terrible. I hate both of those games. So I'm going to put my fingers in my ears and yell LA LA LA LA LA and pretend I never read it. It's JSR + Crackdown...it's JSR + Crackdown...lalalalalala

It is JSR+Crackdown - don't worry. I bought it with that notion and didn't leave disappointed.

siah

Banned
I hate to do this because I have only played for a day, but fuck it.

This game is one of the best, most entertaining titles I have played. It hits on so many sweet spots for me. Bravo Insomniac.

Jaxx

Banned
It is JSR+Crackdown - don't worry. I bought it with that notion and didn't leave disappointed.

High-Five-GIF-1.gif

Played last night again for about 2 hours... I don't even think I did any main missions...just ran/grinded/jumped around the city getting collectibles, saving random people, and doing challenges.

This game.

man, bought the bundle today [white box is segsy], came home, set it up, loaded up sunset overdrive [after a long download & install] and...

CRUSHED. BLACKS.

my first few hours with the xbone were very depressing, until i figured out how to fix the RGB problems - now i can safely say sunset overdrive is beautiful!

it's amazing how much the RGB levels being messed really amped up the aliasing levels... i was like "900p is THIS bad hunh?"

fixed the RGB, now i don't mind 900p AT ALL.
Did you just change it to pc on the xbox or did you adjust the tv settings instead?
I, too, would like to know this. I am a new Xbox One owner and still am not entirely certain what was done. How do I set the Xbox One to RGB? I don't see that option anywhere. And I sure as heck don't need to re-calibrate my ISFCC calibrated HDTV to compensate for the Xbox One, when every other non-Microsoft device is perfectly displayed.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, looks like it's not officially out in Europe yet but FNAC was selling it yesterday so I already picked up a copy. Haven't had much time to play but I'm pretty blown away thus far. This might wind up being the best game Insomniac has made to date!

People, you need to start using the USA store to buy and unlock your games man
The online store? Then you don't get a physical copy. ;)

E92 M3

Hmm, looks like it's not officially out in Europe yet but FNAC was selling it yesterday so I already picked up a copy. Haven't had much time to play but I'm pretty blown away thus far. This might wind up being the best game Insomniac has made to date!

The online store? Then you don't get a physical copy. ;)

SO is the best game Insomniac has game. I can say that safely. Sunset Overdrive is game developed with love.

Finally got to spend some solid time with the game and am really enjoying it.
Crazy enough it kind of feels like Infamous + Dead Rising + Diablo 3. I never expected the Diablo part.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I bought the deluxe day one edition. Uninstalled everything because I thought that was my weapon issue, now my season pass is gone.

I'm being asked to pay for it again. Wtf?

Jaxx

Banned
SO is the best game Insomniac has game. I can say that safely. Sunset Overdrive is game developed with love.

Insomniac agrees with you. They've said this is the game they were building up to as a studio and always wanted to make. Happy for them.

ekim

I bought the deluxe day one edition. Uninstalled everything because I thought that was my weapon issue, now my season pass is gone.

Go to "My games & apps" - select the game and press the Menu button on your controller. Press "Manage game" (is it named liked that in English) - there you should find your DLCs that should be ready to install.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Go to "My games & apps" - select the game and press the Menu button on your controller. Press "Manage game" (is it named liked that in English) - there you should find your DLCs that should be ready to install.

Correct. But season pass is gone. No option to install either.

Montresor

The original trailer from the XB1 reveal (or maybe was it from E3 2013?) made Sunset Overdrive seem like a boring multiplayer shooter. How things change.

E92 M3

Insomniac agrees with you. They've said this is the game they were building up to as a studio and always wanted to make. Happy for them.

I might actually buy the season pass. Wish we had a preview of what was coming...and if the rumored JSR content is real then OMG.

It looks like there are 2 season passes? One specifically for day one deluxe edition and then the paid one. I had two on my download que after pre-ordering but only the day one edition content (with extra items) would install. They were both reported by the store to be the same size so I think you only need to have that one installed.

Not sure though. Some clarification would be nice. Yo jstevenson!

Anyway, do you have at least one of those season passes installed? I deleted the other one and don't think I can get it back.

Montresor

For reference: http://youtu.be/Wds4p5wkRc4

It's interesting to see that the gameplay in the real game is represented pretty accurately by the trailer, although it's obviously more of a concept trailer.

I'm at work so I can't watch the video. But I'll give it a watch at end of day to see how accurately I remembered the trailer. But I remember getting Team Fortress 2 vibes (multiplayer shooter with quirky and unique art style) and thinking, Bleh!

I'm at work so I can't watch the video. But I'll give it a watch at end of day to see how accurately I remembered the trailer. But I remember getting Team Fortress 2 vibes (multiplayer shooter with quirky and unique art style) and thinking, Bleh!

There's no PvP in the trailer if that's what you were wondering. At most, it reflected the co-op chaos squad stuff, since a couple other characters pop up in the trailer in addition to the mutants you fight. But it spends far more time showing the traversal aspects, I think.

Played a few hours last night. This game is great. Really, really great. Might be my GOTY so far.

My only gripe is that you're grinding and jumping around so much that it's sometimes difficult to see the effects of a particular gun. I really loved that about Ratchet and Clank -- seeing what each of the weapons does up close. It's a little less obvious in SO.

Regardless, fantastic game. Can't wait to keep playing.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Try a cold boot, if not then I would contact Microsoft for a refund on season pass, then rebuy.

Well its weird. I go to buy it again and it tells me I already own it and would I like to install it.

So I say yes to installing.

It goes to my games and apps and nothing happens. Yet I have the season pass bonus items too.

Got my white bundle yesterday but i couldn't finish downloading the game before going to sleep, i put the system ON for about 2 hours and it was at 68% only, usually downloads are way faster on Xbox Live. I guess ther servers were hammered or my connection was acting weird yesterday...

Bottom line, i still didn't have the chance to play Sunset Overdrive and reading the impressions here makes me really jealous. Tonight though, i will play the hell out of it !!!

BTW, the white console is GORGEOUS !!! and the white controller is also SEX !

Here a pic of both of my white consoles !

DSC_0493.jpg

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It looks like there are 2 season passes? One specifically for day one deluxe edition and then the paid one. I had two on my download que after pre-ordering but only the day one edition content (with extra items) would install. They were both reported by the store to be the same size so I think you only need to have that one installed.

Not sure though. Some clarification would be nice. Yo jstevenson!

Anyway, do you have at least one of those season passes installed? I deleted the other one and don't think I can get it back.

You might be right. My bonus items one is still there so maybe that's all I need.

Help me obiwanjstevenson. I need your help.

bumpkin

I played for about an hour or two last night and honestly I'm feeling kinda "meh" about it.

It controls fine, the traversal is neat and the characters/dialog is clever, but if those overcharge fountain thingy defense segments happen frequently throughout the game, I'm really going to be unhappy... I know they're completely different styles and settings, but it gave me a Brutal Legend vibe; I expected nothing but running, jumping, grinding and shooting, and they force me to play a timed game of tower defense?

Phreaker

I really had a great time playing this last night. Like others have said, it reminds me of JSR, Crackdown and Dead Rising mixed together. I really like the art style and the game looks fantastic. It seems there is a ton of content if you want to get everything and I could see that being entertaining since the traversal of the world is so fun. Hooray for Insomniac and Xbox!

ekim

I played for about an hour or two last night and honestly I'm feeling kinda "meh" about it.

It controls fine, the traversal is neat and the characters/dialog is clever, but if those overcharge fountain thingy defense segments happen frequently throughout the game, I'm really going to be unhappy... I know they're completely different styles and settings, but it gave me a Brutal Legend vibe; I expected nothing but running, jumping, grinding and shooting, and they force me to play a timed game of tower defense?

I played 5 hours so far and I only had to play night defense 2 times so far. Don't know if it does occur more often.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I really had a great time playing this last night. Like others have said, it reminds me of JSR, Crackdown and Dead Rising mixed together. I really like the art style and the game looks fantastic. It seems there is a ton of content if you want to get everything and I could see that being entertaining since the traversal of the world is so fun. Hooray for Insomniac and Xbox!

Yeah that's the right combo.

DR3 Story style/structure and weapon wackiness. Crackdown open world mutant smashing collectathoning. JSR traversal. Insomniac charm.

Neat combo.

Yeah that's the right combo.

DR3 Story style/structure and weapon wackiness. Crackdown open world mutant smashing collectathoning. JSR traversal. Insomniac charm.

Neat combo.

same here, imho, Crackdown is a very underrated title which influenced open world games such as Infamous and Prototype, and even DR3

Double D

I'm right there with you. I think I let the hype get to me just a bit too much, especially considering I had no intention of buying the game before I read all the glowing reviews and praise in this thread.

Hopefully my feelings change. I am still pretty early on. But as it stands I'm kind of scratching my head at all the GOTY talk.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Man I love this game. SO might be the first open world game where I love doing all the little missions and challenges just because the traversal is so fun and the weapons are so enjoyable to use and power up. I am especially loving the teddy bear launcher so far.

You can just tell that Insomniac prioritized fun over everything else. Weapons don't have to be reloaded. Ammo is easy to come by. You aren't punished very much for dying. The timings and positioning for grinding/wall-running/bouncing are very forgiving.

Top Bottom