• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Only got to play a little bit yesterday but enjoying it. Only complaint at this point is the face options. I was hoping for a little more customization there so I could make myself, but the only face I thought approximated mine enough was only available as a lighter skin tone (was hoping for at least a skin tone slider). Not a huge deal though. I just scrapped the "Me in the game" concept and made a Japanese street punk.

Ocelott

Why am I not having fun with this game... It just seems blah to me... The jokes are just... Yeah. I don't I just met the school kids in the kids play area... But it's just meh

The complaints about the humor and tone surprise me now that I've played it. I'm finding the game quite amusing.

Let's put it this way. I've actually laughed a few times playing this, but I've never had a video game make me cry.

THEN YOU HAVE NO HEART, SIR. (Actually, neither have I.)

MY GOD! This game. This fucking game.

The traversal, the world, the characters, the comedy, the crazy level of customisation, the goddamn traversal, this is fucking incredible.

I'm only an hour or so in an it's already far exceeding my expectations. The visuals are simply incredible, this is without a technical showcase for the X1. My jaw hit the floor when the opening cut-scene played and my character, in with her glorious afro, came into view. It looked damn near CG at points.

And the traversal is bloody incredible. It's very reminiscent of JSRF, but also feels like the natural evolution of those mechanics if the series were still around. The feeling when you chain together the perfect traversal...

I'm off to play more, but goddamn. This is by the best game I've played this year and has already shot into my top three of the year.

ahartig

Played last night for about one hour and the game just oozes polish a quality. The animations are so slick and detailed and the weapons so satisfying. Game looks gorgeous too, even the wife who doesn't typically comment on games or is a gamer commented on how nice it looked.

Too much good stuff coming out soon. I just wish my son (3) was a little older so we could enjoy this together.

HeliosT10

Played last night for about one hour and the game just oozes polish a quality. The animations are so slick and detailed and the weapons so satisfying. Game looks gorgeous too, even the wife who doesn't typically comment on games or is a gamer commented on how nice it looked.

Too much good stuff coming out soon. I just wish my son (3) was a little older so we could enjoy this together.

There is a profanity and gore filter in the menus but can understand why it might be a bit much for a three year old.

GRaider81

MY GOD! This game. This fucking game.

The traversal, the world, the characters, the comedy, the crazy level of customisation, the goddamn traversal, this is fucking incredible.

I'm only an hour or so in an it's already far exceeding my expectations. The visuals are simply incredible, this is without a technical showcase for the X1. My jaw hit the floor when the opening cut-scene played and my character, in with her glorious afro, came into view. It looked damn near CG at points.

And the traversal is bloody incredible. It's very reminiscent of JSRF, but also feels like the natural evolution of those mechanics if the series were still around. The feeling when you chain together the perfect traversal...

I'm off to play more, but goddamn. This is by the best game I've played this year and has already shot into my top three of the year.

Can agree with most. But technical showpiece? If thats the case then the X1 really is struggling.

stay gold

This game controls like a fucking dream. Best game I've played since Mirrors Edge in terms of pulling off cool shit, yet not feeling like its playing itself.

Insomniac did gud.

Phreaker

Guys if you haven't yet there is a piece of clothing you can get from this website: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/sunset-overdrive/weapons#fbid=5gxWSqXn6Kz, just blow something up

Apparently there was an outfit called "Granny's Revenge" you could get from voting on the games main page through twitter, but the voting is over so i guess I missed it :( If anyone decided against getting the game and has one... that would be cool...

Thanks, I just did this but got some headphones "Rock and Bop Headphones" (maybe?)

Hubble

It's a shame the screenshot function was not ready in time for this game. The game is a visual treat glooing in style. Even in Dirk's place, the stage with the mechanical animals look stunning.

sangreal

Guys if you haven't yet there is a piece of clothing you can get from this website: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/sunset-overdrive/weapons#fbid=5gxWSqXn6Kz, just blow something up

Apparently there was an outfit called "Granny's Revenge" you could get from voting on the games main page through twitter, but the voting is over so i guess I missed it :( If anyone decided against getting the game and has one... that would be cool...

that took way too long, but thank you

will pm a granny's revenge code

Can agree with most. But technical showpiece? If thats the case then the X1 really is struggling.

Techincal/visual, it's pretty bloody impressive in both aspects.

I love how solid the frame-rate feels and the visuals look incredible, especially when you're in motion.

He's so excited he redundant'D ha ha :)

Love it

I'm in love. Insomniac have delivered the game I've dreamt about but never hoped would ever be released. If only the traversal had tricks, this would be literally perfect.

Unicorn

I just had an epiphany as I was redressing my character. There hasn't been a Gorillaz album for a couple of years because Jamie Hewlett has been working on this the whole time.

72DnpK0.png

Wait, really?! This might just sell me on an XBone and this game. Fuck.

p3tran

Banned
ok... this is not fair!!

I take like a one minute break, decide to go to friendlist/messages to add you people,
and I see what?
my code for evolve is here, AND a couple of people on my f/l are playing "master chief collection: halo 2 story" :O

fml!! :D something's gotta give here..... day has only 24hrs and life has more than games too :D
this next week or two will be an epic traffic jam for everything I guess....

Played last night, and i have to say im really liking SUnset Overdrive. Its like a mix of Jet Set Radio + Ratchet and Clank + InFamous/Crackdown. That is a win for me xD

EASY.

set the Xbox to limited RGB.

set your TV to full RGB.

BATHE IN THE GLORY OF NON-CRUSHED BLACKS.

#PSA - it took me all of two minutes on Google to figure this out. ;)
What about this thread that goes on to discuss there is an inherent flaw in the way the Xbox One's gamma curve works?

I have a Kuro Elite that is, unfortunately, afflicted with the color space bug. It thinks any RGB source is Full, so that is what I set my video game systems to. Your above response is not an option for me, nor should it be. Microsoft Xbox systems are the only ones with this problem.

Raven77

There is a profanity and gore filter in the menus but can understand why it might be a bit much for a three year old.

There is a profanity and gore filter????????????

FINALLY. I literally had to play GTA V like some crack addict huddled in a dark corner of my basement away from my little ones because they didnt put a damn filter in there for language.

I understand that it might compromise their "artistic vision" but some of us live in the real world where you don't want you're 3 year old hearing the F word popping off every 6 seconds...(Don't get me wrong, GTA V is in my top 3 games of all time)

Where? In Display settings and don't see Xbox to limited RGB.

For Xbox One:

Limited Range = TV
Full Range = PC

They are just renamed.

EDIT: Also... if you listen to that dude's advice many of your games will be washed out. Only certain games have the crushed blacks issue. Games without the issue will look washed out with suggested improper settings.

I'm going to pick up Sunset Overdrive for a Christmas present to my oldest son. I'd love to package it along with some Overcharge soda. Do they sell this anywhere? Target, Wal-Mart, etc?

God this game might push me to buy an xbone

If you ever had any love for JSRF, you need to play this game. It's basically the spiritual successor to that game, all it needs is a tricks system and it'll be the true successor.

Maybe its success and constant comparisons to JSR might even encourage Sega to look into resurrecting the JSR IP.

MrBlonde

A couple of my friends told me they weren't picking this up because COD comes out soon... Made me really sad :/

Thats me, I dont have a ton of time to game and I know come next week COD will be taking up any gaming time I have. I do want to pick this up at some point, was unsure but its seems like people are loving it.

Top Bottom