• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

I take it you cracked and bought the US version?

Nah, I saw them behind the counter in HMV and asked if I could buy one. Fortunately, they didn't seem to know or care about a street date and sold me a day one copy for £45.

I felt like jumping over the counter and planting a big far sloppy kiss on the girl. So damn happy.

Welcome.

To the real world.

It's installing, along with some free DLC. CANNOT WAIT.

Nah, I saw them behind the counter in HMV and asked if I could buy one. Fortunately, they didn't seem to know or care about a street date and sold me a day one copy for £45.

I felt like jumping over the counter and planting a big far sloppy kiss on the girl. So damn happy.

But you have to wait forever!!!! MWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Is there double-jump?
I have yet to unlock the air dash. The last ability I unlocked was the higher jump using objects.

I don't think there is a double jump. I feel the air dash and higher bounce are there to replace that mechanic. A double jump would actually slow down the game I think. The air dash speeds up gameplay and the speed off a bounce keeps things extremely active as well.

Raven77

Sorry to ask this but I'm at work and don't have a lot of time to read through here. They also block most entertainment websites. I'm debating picking this up after work and had a few questions:

- How big is the game world compared to, say, Dead Rising 3? I thought DR3 had a somewhat small world / city.

- How many types of enemies are there? I've only ever really seen 2-3 types from the media.

- Are there pedestrians? People driving around in cars? Or is the city nothing but monsters and you / other main story characters?

- How is the online play? Half the reason I'm getting this is to play with a few friends online. Is there a variety of things to do / modes?

- Any other general comments / complaints?

MCD

Pretty surprised about how great the launch was. Fast download, no big ass update, smooth online and the game just works beautifully.

Great job, Insomniac.

Awesome dude. You'll love it!

I can't be alone in this, but does this game make anyone want to put some theme fitting music on their portable music playing device?

I'm talking Circle Jerks, Minor Threat, Pennywise, Black Flag, Ramones, Descendants, etc.

It's been awhile since I've listened to that on the regular, and this game might just push me to it.

Sorry to ask this but I'm at work and don't have a lot of time to read through here. They also block most entertainment websites. I'm debating picking this up after work and had a few questions:

- How big is the game world compared to, say, Dead Rising 3? I thought DR3 had a somewhat small world / city.

- How many types of enemies are there? I've only ever really seen 2-3 types from the media.

- Are there pedestrians? People driving around in cars? Or is the city nothing but monsters and you / other main story characters?

- How is the online play? Half the reason I'm getting this is to play with a few friends online. Is there a variety of things to do / modes?

- Any other general comments / complaints?

- Feels bigger than Dead Rising 3 because of the verticality and bigger FoV. Not sure about map size tbh.

- No cars and some pedestrians. It's the apocalypse, though, so don't expect much life.

- Haven't played online but heard it's fun.

- General Comment: Buy it.

Hubble

Or maybe they're in my boat and just don't find it funny. I haven't cringed at anything though, but the game is definitely not funny to me.

The game is unique for its humor even if you disagree. It adds something. Sunset Overdrive is dripped in creativity and style in every little thing. No other game has style like this. GOTY.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I have a knack for going around knocking out side content right before a mission that gets me another ability. Just got the air dash now and it's perfect.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
This game is such a breath of fresh air. In a year with AAA shit like Destiny and Watch_Dogs plus the increasingly stale annual installments of Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed, I'm glad at least one developer is investing big money on something COLORFUL, fresh, and pure fun.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
What's the benefit of leveling weapons up past two? What do you unlock? More amp slots/guns are more powerful/have more ammo?

Max ammo increases and stats improve. If you look at the stats for each weapon in your character screen it shows blue bars representing power, rate of fire, etc. Those also have red markers on them that represent (I think) their max stats when fully leveled.

This game is such a breath of fresh air. In a year with AAA shit like Destiny and Watch_Dogs plus the increasingly stale annual installments of Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed, I'm glad at least one developer is investing big money on something COLORFUL, fresh, and pure fun.

It has the character of an indie game like guacamelee but with a AAA budget.

Grisby

For my take it's like coming up for a breath of fresh air, especially since I spent so much time on The evil Within and Alien Isolation, two very oppressve games.

Kssio_Aug

I don't think there is a double jump. I feel the air dash and higher bounce are there to replace that mechanic. A double jump would actually slow down the game I think. The air dash speeds up gameplay and the speed off a bounce keeps things extremely active as well.

Ok thanks! Yeah I believe the airdash will help a lot already!

sbrew

Banned

Microsoft is really doing a great job supporting developers who want to try new things. They gave Insomniac IP rights, a lot of marketing and development money for this game without making them focus-test it to death. That's a pretty good deal for a AAA game in this day and age.

And as we already found out, Sony wanted nothing to do with Titanfall and EA was about to can it until Microsoft came along and gave Respawn everything they wanted.

Microsoft is also doing a great job supporting games with proper server resources. A couple glitches here and there, but no massive issues.

The complaints about the humor and tone surprise me now that I've played it. I'm finding the game quite amusing.

Let's put it this way. I've actually laughed a few times playing this, but I've never had a video game make me cry.

blakep267

The complaints about the humor and tone surprise me now that I've played it. I'm finding the game quite amusing.

Let's put it this way. I've actually laughed a few times playing this, but I've never had a video game make me cry.

Yeah, like even something that may not be as funny doesn't really bother me. Nothing Ive heard is "cringeworthy". I guess I'm just not as critical about humor.

Two moves that will help you out that most people forget about:

Slam-jump (after you unlock it): Hit jump right after you do a dive slam to do a super jump (high enough to get you back onto the power lines).

Flip-jump: From an undergrind, flip up to a grind and while flipping up hit jump. Instead of attaching the grind you will continue your momentum upwards for a super high jump.

OrangeOak

This game have so much personality.I really don't mind that type of humour either.I was expecting a lot worse after what I read in the internet.But there is nothing cringe worthy here for me like there is sometimes in other games.
It's is bright,colorful,light hearted and super fun.
Sorry for my enthusiasm but it really is one of my favorite games that I played lately.
It is also my first Insomniac game to be fair.I see that I lost a lot of good games.

Best strategy against the bots? Don't know which weapons to use against them.

I personally like to freeze them and then treat them with dive bomb or melee :)

Ape

Banned
I accidentally didn't change clothes out of the janitor uniform. how do i do that now that im able to free roam

sangreal

freeze bomb + anything will do the job
the wrench gun you get later is decent
also later on you can get a fizzco rifle which wrecks them

you can check in the menu which weapons to use for which enemy

I accidentally didn't change clothes out of the janitor uniform. how do i do that now that im able to free roam

when you're done w/ the long tutorial it unlocks

Ape

Banned
one more thing on the leaderboards for challenges or whatever is there a way to go to see the #1 players time or score if you have already completed it? I don't want to page for 2.

turcy

What did you do to fix the crushed blacks? It was my understanding that those are inherent to the way the Xbox One handles its gamma curve.

EASY.

set the Xbox to limited RGB.

set your TV to full RGB.

BATHE IN THE GLORY OF NON-CRUSHED BLACKS.

#PSA - it took me all of two minutes on Google to figure this out. ;)

FrsDvl

Damn game. You're too short. Just finished it, was a lot of fun. To think I was considering cancelling and not getting it....

noonche

I also recommend that you keep moving forward. Trying to backtrack is especially dangerous with the Rifle Bots or the Bomb Bots. I have a lot of luck traversing to get a flank on one of them and then hammering them before I escape back out again.

Top Bottom