• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

I'm on the fence and about to bite. I know once MCC releases I am not going to buy any other games. Do you guys think it is worth it to purchase this game right now knowing it won't be touched for a long while after November 11th?

Take avatar pic off please

image.php

Dazzyman

Wow what a great game.

Just booted it for first time, impulse bought this and so glad I did. Just plays so damn smooth, great graphics, gameplay and it's actually laugh out loud funny.

Oh and for those of us what get motion sickness this is absoultly fine to play as the camera is solid :) woooooooot.

If your on the fence about this game then don't be, grind that bloody fence by buying it. It is awesome sauce :)

Lucent

I probably would've appreciated this more if I hadn't played Portal 2.

I didn't play the 2nd one. Lucky me I guess? Lol

I'm on the fence and about to bite. I know once MCC releases I am not going to buy any other games. Do you guys think it is worth it to purchase this game right now knowing it won't be touched for a long while after November 11th?

-looks at avatar- wut? Lol jk

I am getting MCC too but I can def see me continuing to play this even then. Love this game so much. The traversal is so good. I'm constantly amazed at the stuff I'm doing on the fly as I head to objectives. Hell last night I was running around killing stuff just for fun.

Liked the game so far, but only played a short while. Quick question.

How do you log out of the game? Personally I just went to the home screen and turned it off, but I'm sure that's not the correct and only way.

The replayable side missions like the traversals and that reality show thing where you have to do specific stylish moves is really, really addictive. I spent a good chunk of my last playthrough just doing those. And they're all over the map, too.

Great game design.

It's really cool we have the ability to do that. I always spend way too much time making characters when there are lots of options and it drives me crazy.

I'm really digging my skinny blonde/pink dude with a lady's haircut, awesome tattoos, sports bra, gun holsters, punks shorts, and socks with sandals. I look badass in that Tim Curry in The Rocky Horror Picture Show way. It's beauteous.

Lucent

Liked the game so far, but only played a short while. Quick question.

How do you log out of the game? Personally I just went to the home screen and turned it off, but I'm sure that's not the correct and only way.

Yep. That seems to be the only way.

It saves every time you do anything of significance.

Strider

Sooo I gave in and picked this up. My wallet is crying since I've already purchased too many games this month but ultimately this looked too fun to pass up on.

Has Gaf been getting groups together for chaos mode? I need to fill my friends list up...

RoKKeR

Just did the first night defense thing with Floyd. Damn, this shit isn't easy! There is just so much happening it's hard to know how to properly respond to everything. Fun so far!

Seventy70

I can't put my finger on it, but I'm really getting a feeling of nostalgia playing this game. The style of it seems like something that would be in a platformer of the 90s. I kind of reminds me of the same feeling I got playing the first Crash Bandicoot game. Also, for some reason I'm getting some Good Burger vibes from this game. It's very strange. Anyone feel the same way? I can't help, but feel kind of fuzzy while playing it.

Yep. That seems to be the only way.

It saves every time you do anything of significance.

TYVM...I'm glad it's always saving as while I didn't do much, I at least made my character and did a couple of the intro missions.

So far it's been a lot of fun...and very bright!!!

dejay

Banned
I'm not the best gamer or the fastest at picking up controls, so it's taken me a little while to get into, plus limited time after work.

Day 1 - 1 hour - it's cool, but I don't know what I'm doing. I keep running out of ammo.
Last night - 1.5 hours - a fair bit of free roam, some traversal challenges, I'm getting it
Today - 1 hour before work - FUUUUUUU so good

Once I got reasonable at transitioning from low to high, spotting opportunities, exploiting bounce pads and cross bars properly it has become addictive. I don't want to go to work right now. I'm starting to accumulate badges and the progression reminds me of Crackdown. Also, understanding weapons is important - I love the depth there.

The humour is pretty good to me. It doesn't always get a laugh, but I've laughed on several occasions (I've just gotten to the 3d printer). It's not really high brow, but I can appreciate it. I can understand the cringe factor for some people though.

There's not much I don't like about it so far. Love the style, enjoyed Sunset TV upon my first viewing, love the progression. I even like the music. I was into punk/garage a number of years ago but don't really like it these days except when I'm in the mood, but the choices here have been pretty good I feel and it fits the tone. Generally I turn off music in 80% of games, so that says something.

I did find an invisible object - not sure what that was about. Seemed to be the size of a dumpster. There's some texture pop in, but overall I like the visuals. Sure, a more powerful machine would have given some more clarity, but it's smooth and pretty and feels "next gen" to me.

Damerman

maaaaaaaaaan, i want this game! but i have no Xbox! GRRRR! this looks like what Jak and Daxter 2 should be in terms of platforming and world design...

Crossing fingers for PC release. Will buy in an instant.

Am_I_Evil

at the beginning my "Change out of the janitor" outfit screen stayed blank so i couldn't change...and i got stuck in the world twice...

but other than those issues I've been enjoying the game so far...bright, fun, colorful...the exact opposite of the other game i've been playing all month (Destiny)

abrack08

I think the male voice is the same as Ratchet. I like that he's a total dick to everyone. It's funny to me. :)

It's not, the male voice in SO is Yuri Lowenthal, the voice actor of Yosuke in Persona 4, Sasuke in Naruto, and Ben in the cartoon Ben 10 (and a ton of other stuff).

Ratchet is James Arnold Taylor, who is also Tidus in Final Fantasy X, and Obi Wan in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

They do sound somewhat similar though

Leyasu

Banned
Just loving this time sink! So good. I have got the hang of the moves, got some weapons and did some more missions tonight..

Easily my goty so far.. Awesome!

The pull of chaos squad is strong when I'm playing as well.

Lucent

TYVM...I'm glad it's always saving as while I didn't do much, I at least made my character and did a couple of the intro missions.

So far it's been a lot of fun...and very bright!!!

Yeah if you look on the right and see a cassette tape show up, it's saving. I dunno about other things, but whenever you do a mission, buy something, change any part of your clothing, collect something, or pick up a mission it saves. It's probably saving other times but I dunno. I just know you don't have to worry about losing any progress. Lol. I looked through everything and there's no manual save at all so yeah.

Murray97

Is there any way to see the high points and eavesdropping locations on the map? They are in the legend but don't seem to show up. Unsure if I have to do a certain side quest or something.

So I just spent 2 days downloading Sunset Overdrive to be told it's not out till Friday. I realise my accounts British but I'm in America... is there anyway around this or do I have to wait till friday to play it?

So I just spent 2 days downloading Sunset Overdrive to be told it's not out till Friday. I realise my accounts British but I'm in America... is there anyway around this or do I have to wait till friday to play it?

You have to wait, its based on whatever account you bought it on.

You could try getting a refund and buying it off the US store, but I don't know how successful you'll be with that

Bread

Banned
Me and my friend are battling each other on random stuff ("bomb delivery #2", come at us) and I crash every time I go to check out the leaderboards. Is this happening to anyone else?

You have to wait, its based on whatever account you bought it on.

You could try getting a refund and buying it off the US store, but I don't know how successful you'll be with that

Aww man thats a real kick in the teeth. I even bought the Sunset Over drive console bundle... Guess it's Forza H2 till Friday...

RoKKeR

"My work here is done. I'm out, bitches.

/robotic female voice

Some of the lines in this game really have me laughing. Good stuff.

I've decided to pre-order the game as it's out on Friday here so there's still time to pre-order it, I'm glad it's got good reviews. How long a game is it, though? I've not seen any mention of how much time the main story takes to finish, yet.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
"My work here is done. I'm out, bitches.

/robotic female voice

Some of the lines in this game really have me laughing. Good stuff.

I laughed there too.

My wife though the Amp dude was Samuel Jackson. Especially the way he said motherfuckers.

derFeef

Can someone please tell me how to wall run around corners? I've been trying to do it for about 15 minutes and I can't get it down.

Hit X right before the corner. I practised that at one house, going circles :)

Don't you just hold X?

Unless you have to press x again as you hit the corner?

Nope, pressing X each time at the corner. I had to untrain myself from holding X, it does nothing, never...

Top Bottom