• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Garland7G

Anyone know if you can play this after downloading a portion of the game (and if so, what percentage)? Might go digital so I can play at midnight but I definitely won't have the whole thing downloaded by then.

At like 22% you can play the tutorial area and at 60% (could be less but I happened to try at 60) you can get into the main game. While you can progress the main story some, you'll have to wait for the next part to dl if you get too far ahead. Its cool though because you can do challenges and customize your character and roam the world while it finishes dl.

so what exactly is chaos in chaos squad. I played one round earlier and was completely confused. Like, there is an achievement for surviving with 1625 chaos, how do you do that?

Chaos builds up when you complete missions. The higher your chaos, the tougher Night Defense is. 1625% Night Defense is pretty much SSOD speak for "LOL, you're boned."

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
so what exactly is chaos in chaos squad. I played one round earlier and was completely confused. Like, there is an achievement for surviving with 1625 chaos, how do you do that?

You really have to go through a couple of rounds to really play chaos squad as it generally puts you in a game mid-way.

You go through a series of small missions that are usually semi competitive and you get points for kills, skill stuff going on, amps, plus completing the challenges. These challenges have certain chaos ratings attached to them. You vote between two different missions and depending on how well your squad is doing harder missions are available that can dramatically increase the chaos.

and then at the end you get a night defense mission where you all work together. The higher the chaos the more nuts the night defense will be.

The chaos percentage is then multiplied against the points you earned throughout the missions and night defense to get your final score (well, assuming you survive chaos squad) and then you unlock stuff. A lot of level 2 amps and such are locked behind really high scores in chaos squad so you'll need to spend some time there eventually.

nbraun80

So having about 23 hours logged into this game already and seeing quite a bit of questions and such in here I'm gonna try and answer a bunch and some tips to help people not quite understanding certain parts of the game. Hopefully this helps someone. :)

Well start with movement. As many have said. you can't stop moving or start walking around. KEEP MOVING. If things are too fast remember that holding LT aims and slows things down a bit. Also if they're still too fast for you, look around, is there a highwire that goes in a circle or square? If so just grind that around in that circle and you'll feel like you have more control. Also if there isn't just get on a ledge or wire that has some length, and grind left for awhile, hit right+X and switch directions for awhile and repeat going back and forth. obviously blowers, herkers and such, will target you a little better, and if so just grind or jump to a new location. Remember things like if you're undergrinding, you can press X+A to do a super jump up. Also if it looks like you're gonna land on the ground, ground smash by pressing B and then press A again quickly and you'll do a super jump off the ground and not lose your combo. And honestly, just play the main story until you unlock air dash, and then just practice your movement, the traversal challenges and point challenges are great ways to help you learn while in a set area that you can repeat and also learn currency for completing. Also don't forget about wall running, it can be especially helpful when it looks like you can't quite jump up onto a roof just wall run and then jump again to reach those spots. short movement video and combos.

Currency - You'll notice you get both cash and Overcharge cans as currency. Cash is for clothing and other cosmetics purchase and the cans are for buying weapons, ammo, and collectible maps.

Now collectibles, there's toilet paper, cameras, shoes, neon signs, Fizzy balloons. All of which besides being collectible achievements also are used as a currency to buy amps from floyd. Some of which are cosmetic, but most add a new aspect that might be awesome to you depending how you play. There are maps you can buy to find these in each section of the city, but are quite expensive and so I wouldn't do it until later in the game, focus more on buying or saving for guns you want. Also worth noting there are billboards to tag(they're white and say 'your advertisement here') smartphones, eavesdropping, and highpoint(looking through the tourist sightseeing machines) to collect, they aren't a currency like the others but do give you something for completing them. Also I'm pretty sure after you find one of these you'll be able to buy the map to locate them easier.

Amps and Weapons - Amps are basically ways to augment you and your weapons. You can have 5 amps on yourself, 1 melee, 2 personal, 1 epic, and 1 dive bombs. It's all pretty self-explanatory, but just know the melee effect doesn't happen until your bar is at lvl 2, and the epic one doesn't happen until lvl 3. Weapon amps add a special effect to a weapon, and can't be used until the weapon is lvl 2. You'll lvl up your weapons by simply using them and each upgrades usually adds more ammo capacity, damage, and for some blast radius. Just experiment with different amps combos. One of my favorites that I haven't seen mentioned much is putting an amp that has a change of freezing enemies on hit on my acid sprinklers. They're always hitting so you can usually freeze things like herkers without having the freeze bomb gun on. ALSO look for combo of weapons that work good and certain enemies, like starting herkers on fire and then pistoling them, or freeze bombing, then acid rain, the tnt teddy, possibilities are endless just use your imagination. :)

Overcharges - You'll unlock this section at some point while going through the main story, might not notice until you start earning badges. Basically these badges are a currency to unlock overcharges that you want. These are permanent perks of which you can only have 6 on at a time. It's pretty simple to get badges, if you grind a lot you get grind badges, if you use single fire guns alot you get single fire gun badges. You can upgrade each overcharge 4 times. So something that only give you 5% more damage doesn't seem like a lot, but it can get up to 25% by the end of it. Just unlock and use them based on how you play/want to play. Dying a lot? works towards upgrading the health badge, or reduced damage from a specific enemy type.

Korosenai

I'm rank #20 or something on traversal challenge 1. The second I get rank #1, i'm gonna record the video and it send it to the guy who used to be ranked #1 :p

Chaos builds up when you complete missions. The higher your chaos, the tougher Night Defense is. 1625% Night Defense is pretty much SSOD speak for "LOL, you're boned."

You really have to go through a couple of rounds to really play chaos squad as it generally puts you in a game mid-way.

You go through a series of small missions that are usually semi competitive and you get points for kills, skill stuff going on, amps, plus completing the challenges. These challenges have certain chaos ratings attached to them. You vote between two different missions and depending on how well your squad is doing harder missions are available that can dramatically increase the chaos.

and then at the end you get a night defense mission where you all work together. The higher the chaos the more nuts the night defense will be.

The chaos percentage is then multiplied against the points you earned throughout the missions and night defense to get your final score (well, assuming you survive chaos squad) and then you unlock stuff. A lot of level 2 amps and such are locked behind really high scores in chaos squad so you'll need to spend some time there eventually.

ah ok, I'll have to spend some more time in there to get the hang of it soon

FrsDvl

Has there been any word on around when the first dlc is going to come out? I've almost finished all the side stuff, and I'm hunting down collectibles now. Would love more stuff to do!

Chaos Squad is a lot of fun though, especially when the chaos rating is way up there.

Strider

Am I missing something or is there no way to quickly mute someone in chaos mode? Blaring music through the mic isn't cool random person...

Enilced2

Oh yea finally got to try chaos squad lots of fun with fandoms now I just need to find some people to play with

Feel free to add me! Same name

Yeah. That shit looked cool.

It really did. Was super bummed when I noticed it was no longer there.

Ah well. The reasons listed below to remove it make sense. I do hope they consider giving the option to change the colour of the amp trail though.

For now, you can always use that healing amp that leaves a green streak behind you. But you gotta at least keep your style meter at 1 to keep it going I think. lol =P

But I don't think I've seen what you're talking about in any of the videos I've seen.

I'll see if I can find a video. Or if someone knows which video it was in and could link it, that'd be great.

A dev jumped in at some point to say they were 86ed because it caused issues with certain amp trails.

Ah, thanks. I missed that post.

Makes sense to get rid of it then. Still, I really liked it. Wouldn't mind it returning in the DLC. Or perhaps the option to change the colour of the amp trail.

Each area of the world has it's own version of Chaos Squad. Each area has different ranges of a possible Chaos Score, because the higher the possible chaos score, the harder the night defense is going to be.

• Area 1: Average Range of Chaos Per mission (10 - 40)
  • Area 2: Average Range of Chaos Per mission (32 - 82)
  • Area 3: Average Range of Chaos Per mission (95 - 175)
  • Area 4: Average Range of Chaos Per mission (230 - 360)
(There's more to how it chooses the Chaos Scores, but it's not really all that interesting.)

To help, missions also provide you with bonuses (like extra vat power, or by increasing your damage against certain types). These bonuses stack, by the way. Some examples:

• Trap Damage
  • Damage vs All OD
  • Extra Trap Power
  • Vat Capacity
  • Trap Recharge Rate
  • Damage vs BaseOD
  • Damage vs ProjectileOD
Not all of these are available in all areas (you have fewer in area 1, but all of them are available in area 4). When we were first conceptualizing chaos squad my number one goal was to design a system where the answer was NOT always "take the higher chaos number."

If you play that way, you WILL get destroyed. It really is about pushing the chaos as high as you can WHILE trying to make sure you take the best kind of bonuses.

Of course, Overdrives can help overcome that stuff, and if you have a team of 8 people who all have 6 maxed out Overdrives, you can basically just pump your chaos as high as you can and probably survive.

Murray97

The chaos squad achievement for downtown is the last time consuming one I have to get and its super hard with just randoms. I'm usually topping the board with about 30k more points and we aren't even getting close to 1625 chaos nevermind actually surviving.

derFeef

The first bullet I shoot.

Here's my current build:

Shoot the Turret Copters, then Acid bears to control mobs and use heavy explosives to finish them off as the former two drain health. I do this with one or two traps, namely the spinning blades and the gatling guns, and have the amp equipped that shoots flames of fire as i grind and explode as i bounce.

:)

Not as far into the game as you yet but sounds good. The first defense with two stations destroyed me bad, hah.

Ape

Banned
Is there a way to buy the day of the dead guitar melee weapon? that thing is like my favorite thing in the world right now. When I see it on the Live marketplace i always stare at it. @.@

derFeef

The second defense mission? Yeah. Remember you can keep building traps after your first few are destroyed. Set traps in front of the barricades. Replenish when need be. Use contradicting elements. I like to use the freeze bomb and then jump and melee smash with an explosive/fire element linked to it as well. Big dudes go down FAST doing this.

The third. It starts right off with Hurkers. There is so much shit thrown at me in the second stage that I can't grind or hop to different grind points, it feels like a coop mission that I try to do alone, haha.

VanWinkle

There is one issue that I keep running into with the way traversal works, and it is that you can't climb. It CONSTANTLY interferes when I'm at a building and need to get up it. I have to start searching for a bouncy thing instead of being able to just quickly climb it.

Also, I have a question. The day one edition includes the "Nothin' But The Hits" weapon, but I can't tell what is different about it than the regular record shooter weapon. Does anybody know so I can actually have an incentive for using it?

There is one issue that I keep running into with the way traversal works, and it is that you can't climb. It CONSTANTLY interferes when I'm at a building and need to get up it. I have to start searching for a bouncy thing instead of being able to just quickly climb it.

Also, I have a question. The day one edition includes the "Nothin' But The Hits" weapon, but I can't tell what is different about it than the regular record shooter weapon. Does anybody know so I can actually have an incentive for using it?

It does more damage.

As to your first point, what I'm coming to realize is that the game requires a certain degree of foresight if you want to move around smoothly. When I want to climb a building, my first step is to start scanning it for wires reaching up into the higher levels, then neighboring buildings with same, and only then do I start looking for bouncies. Also, staying at a high altitude does wonders in general.

Ape

Banned
every single time im about to go do a mission or find another marker on the map i find myself collecting shit or just killing enemies for like 15 mins before remembering that I was supposed to do something. just one of those things.

I feel like a crazy person, but driving to work, I could see myself grinding the wires on the way in. This game has embedded itself into my psyche

derFeef

every single time im about to go do a mission or find another marker on the map i find myself collecting shit or just killing enemies for like 15 mins before remembering that I was supposed to do something. just one of those things.

It's the Crackdown syndrome.
And I love it.

Lucent

It's the Crackdown syndrome.
And I love it.

Yeah they made movement and fighting so fun in this game. My character said "good thing there's fast travel in this game" but I was like nope! I'll get there myself! lol. =D

The only time I really use fast travel is if I unlock a piece of clothing or something and I just want to see what it's like real fast.

Yeah they made movement and fighting so fun in this game. My character said "good thing there's fast travel in this game" but I was like nope! I'll get there myself! lol. =D

The only time I really use fast travel is if I unlock a piece of clothing or something and I just want to see what it's like real fast.

Same here! Traversal is so great in this game that sometimes I find myself just messing around in the environment racking up style points instead of trying to blow through the story missions.

OrangeOak

Decided to do some missions.Just had "pigeon combo" mission,it really cracked me up.
Is there someone who finished the game and could tell me where more or less I am in the game? I don't want it to end!

I feel like a crazy person, but driving to work, I could see myself grinding the wires on the way in. This game has embedded itself into my psyche

I actually felt like a crazy person after get 5 came out I was driving and I had a wierd urge to run people over and drive through lampposts

I really wasnt feeling this game, and new something was wrong since I had already moved onto the second area/island & just felt like I was very underpowered. After some tips from insomniacs devs, it made me realize I was playing the game totally wrong. I restarted the game with a new character, taking my time and absolutely loved it.

The most important change was the realization that your character has 2 modes when dealing with soldiers. Human/frail mode and superhuman almost unkillable mode in terms of early regular enemies (this doesnt apply boss type enemies and I am sure many of the more advanced enemies later in the game).

Basically, if you are on foot soldiers can aim and fire and will take you down very rapidly, just as real world soldiers with assault rifles would do, especially if you are close.

My initial reaction to this was to think oh these soldiers are just dangerous enemies and I need to come back later in the game. TOTALLY WRONG. If you are traversing using grinds or bounces, they become unable to target you and will do very minimal damage. This is an extreme effect, and applies even if you are a few meters away. By traversing such as rail grinding or jumping above soldiers you can basically kill them with impunity. Later enemies will do things to make you have to change this strategy (like aiming weapons which will appear on your rail grind, with the red outline)

Once I understood this rule, I had a ton of fun and spent time exploring every location in detail while levelling up my weapons and gaining currency (versus rapidly just doing story missions only the first time). This time I have unlocked loads of money and found many chests.

Anyway, in case anyone else had trouble clicking with the game, take your time. The other thing I noticed was after playing a long time, starting again was a whole new experience and traversal became very easy and intuitive. Again., sprinting through the story missions in my first run was just escalating the difficulty (in terms of enemy types).

Top Bottom