• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Montresor

Well well, what a pleasant surprise! My Sunset Overdrive is taking forever to ship (I didn't pre-order it from the MS store until Monday), but I just got two email codes from the MS store for The Hangover DLC and Acordes de la Muerte DLC.

Is that normal for everyone who pre-ordered?

JaggedSac

So I'm on the mission to
destroy 8 fizzco controllers and one of them is at a dock but behind some wood in an area I cannot get to just above the water
how in the heck am I supposed to melee this thing.

It's the mission where you
also destroy the a banana stand and he makes an Arrested Development joke.

Edit: Nevermind, took my time and saw a grindrail immediately after posting this.

FrsDvl

My 3 year old daughter is obsessed with this game. She wanted to play online and talk to people. But no one has mics.

Good job insomniac. She loves "monster town" but not as much as she likes swimming in the ocean. She has now also learned about invisible walls.

The boss battle with
Fizzie
was really cool. It was easy, sure....but it sticks with you after you beat it. Also the
related side quest was a good way to extend that story arc.
I love how the side quests aren't all just 'get this item'. They have extra voice dialogue and everything---way too much work for side quests but that makes them really worth doing!

And I got the air dash at last! Game changer.

Everyone's lucky that Insomniac makes games for both Xbox and Playstation -- these guys are seriously talented.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
When do you actually get decent rewards from Chaos Mode? Because I'm not getting shit.

if you get Chaos, and you complete bonus objectives (which boosts your score and gets you more spins), you'll get good stuff, even in the first (easiest) area.

this morning in like 3 games I scored a boosted weapon, a Lvl 2 amp, 10000 cans of overcharge, and 4 new customizations.

The boss battle with
Fizzie
was really cool. It was easy, sure....but it sticks with you after you beat it. Also the
I love how the side quests aren't all just 'get this item'. They have extra voice dialogue and everything---way too much work for side quests but that makes them really worth doing!

Everyone's lucky that Insomniac makes games for both Xbox and Playstation -- these guys are seriously talented.

Yeah the sidequests totally remind me of Dead Rising. I love them.

Strider

Ah man, why doesn't it have free roam co-op?? It would be perfect!

What happens if you do a private chaos squad match and dont activate the mission? Genuinely curious if you can free roam the map that way or if it forces you to do it after a bit.

Hana-Bi

if you get Chaos, and you complete bonus objectives (which boosts your score and gets you more spins), you'll get good stuff, even in the first (easiest) area.

this morning in like 3 games I scored a boosted weapon, a Lvl 2 amp, 10000 cans of overcharge, and 4 new customizations.

Is the boost for the weapon temporary or permanent. And what does it boost? Damage, XP gain, ... ?

The boss battle with
Fizzie

The sidequests are a great example of how good writing can make a game more than it would be otherwise. Sure, on the face of it, they're not terribly dissimilar to (say) Destiny's side quests. Most of them fall under the heading of "go to place, kill guys, get thing, repeat." But, even if we set aside the comparatively greater range of experiences, the top-notch writing makes even the fetch quests entertaining. I actually spent time on the
Fizzie followup quest
just running around and listening to the dialogue. Great stuff.

nbraun80

quick question sir, I unlocked what looked like an amp upgrade(and amp with a plus sign beside it) in chaos and i couldn't find it in my amps, and now there's the 'new' tag above where you would go into your amps, but when I go in and scroll through all of them, none are new, and the new tag never goes away. Did I maybe get an upgrade for an amp that I don't have yet? Just odd. ha

*edit also 15 hour for all missions, and all collectibles is outragous, just how....ha

This game is so insanely fun. One of the few games in recent years that I find myself thinking about while doing other things. I tried to take a break and play Sleeping Dogs but I felt so slow and crippled not being able to dash and grind around.

every single time im about to go do a mission or find another marker on the map i find myself collecting shit or just killing enemies for like 15 mins before remembering that I was supposed to do something. just one of those things.

That's exactly what's happening with me lol, it's sad. I kinda have ADD with games, so this kind of game has me going all over the place because its just silly fun.

Obviously I still would've loved 60fps for this type of game especially, but they did an amazing job at making it feel "tight" at 30fps. Good fun.

tuna_love

Banned
This game is so insanely fun. One of the few games in recent years that I find myself thinking about while doing other things. I tried to take a break and play Sleeping Dogs but I felt so slow and crippled not being able to dash and grind around.
I'm the same. Tried to play lords of the fallen and missed my bunny ears too much

Hana-Bi

quick question sir, I unlocked what looked like an amp upgrade(and amp with a plus sign beside it) in chaos and i couldn't find it in my amps, and now there's the 'new' tag above where you would go into your amps, but when I go in and scroll through all of them, none are new, and the new tag never goes away. Did I maybe get an upgrade for an amp that I don't have yet? Just odd. ha

*edit also 15 hour for all missions, and all collectibles is outragous, just how....ha

Same thing happened to me. There is the "new" tag but there are no new amps. I think I got the amp though because there is an amp on level 2 now.

It's the Crackdown syndrome.
And I love it.
This really does feel like the Crackdown of this gen so far. Its got the sprawling and colorful city that you just want to run and jump and climb all over. Its got explosions, more explosions and fire and explosions with explosions in them for explosions sake along with addictive collectathons and progression and a who gives a shit, have fun sense of humor.

Makes me wonder what Crackdown 3 will be like.

I'm still not very good at this game yet though ;p I'm fine with grinding and hopping on cars, but mixing it up in defense objectives is still too much at one time for me. Feels like I repeat the same small set of moves rather than effortlessly flowing into different areas and moves. Am still getting used to how this game works, that's for sure, but the learning is fun.

Izuna

Banned
My 3 year old daughter is obsessed with this game. She wanted to play online and talk to people. But no one has mics.

Good job insomniac. She loves "monster town" but not as much as she likes swimming in the ocean. She has now also learned about invisible walls.

Wow.. The controls are too much for myself atm. Have to get used to them like DC JSR.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE JStevens, add in CooP freeroam. 4 players even if 8 is too much. The traversal system in place is so damn cool, it'd be fun to run around the city with buddies while they desperately try to keep up with me so they can see how well I've mastered this movement system.

neurophd

I am really liking the challenges but I finding it difficult to keep track of which ones I have completed and what medal I received. It would be nice to have an indicator on the map reflecting this information. Also it would be cool to get a notification of some sort when someone beats your score, kind of like the Rivals system in Forza Horizon 2.

BokehKing

Banned
This maybe somewhat controversial, and I'm not going to make a separate thread on this in hopes that I can get a 15 page hater thread

But I think I'm a little underwhelmed by this game, I have my reasons, but I feel they would fall on deaf ears, the important thing is, it got me to buy an x1 again, there are games I'll eventually want on the system and curren enjoying the EA Vault.

Nowise10

Just finished the game. It is a pretty quick play, I played a couple hours each night since Tuesday, that is my only complaint. Game is phenomenal. So addictingly fun. Congrats to Insomniac for making such a great game. Now I have all those side missions and challenges left to complete, which I don't mind as its fun to work your way around the city.

Haines

Banned
Finally started into the game and made it to the ARCADE.

The biggest thing I can tell I like is its an open world game.without jankyness.

Also looks better than I was expecting on the ONE.

This maybe somewhat controversial, and I'm not going to make a separate thread on this in hopes that I can get a 15 page hater thread

But I think I'm a little underwhelmed by this game, I have my reasons, but I feel they would fall on deaf ears, the important thing is, it got me to buy an x1 again, there are games I'll eventually want on the system and curren enjoying the EA Vault.

How long have you played? Took me about 2 hours to get into the game.

On a side note try having a discussion here first before making a blog thread.

Same thing happened to me. There is the "new" tag but there are no new amps. I think I got the amp though because there is an amp on level 2 now.

There are two levels to some amps. Not all of them, but most of them. You can purchase 5 of these level 2 amps from the Vendor (just so that you can get a taste), but the rest of them are rewards from Chaos Squad.

You can only receive the level 2 version of an amp from Chaos Squad if you already have the level 1 version of the amp, though. I can't check right this second, but I believe it will tell you on the amp when you select it what level it is.

Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore!
Real Dumb Mission lol " show him you are
hardcore

zou

ugh, the fucked up sensitivity is absolutely ruining an otherwise great and fun game. Fighting is so slow and a constant struggle with the damn camera that takes ages to turn. It's ridiculous, it's so slow I can't target an enemy when skating by, they are out of my fov long before I can target them. I fucking end up skating by two or three times every time.

And yes, the sensitivity is set to the highest already.

ugh, the fucked up sensitivity is absolutely ruining an otherwise great and fun game. Fighting is so slow and a constant struggle with the damn camera that takes ages to turn. It's ridiculous, it's so slow I can't target an enemy when skating by, they are out of my fov long before I can target them. I fucking end up skating by two or three times every time.

And yes, the sensitivity is set to the highest already.

Have you tried pressing LT to slow down so you have more time to line up your shot?

Top Bottom