• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

zou

Have you tried pressing LT to slow down so you have more time to line up your shot?

no, and it doesn't really address the fact that the camera moves way too slow, this would just give me more time to wait it out. And in any other game I would have plenty of time to move the camera, so I don't think that should be necessary

Lucent

Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore! Hardcore!
Real Dumb Mission lol " show him you are
hardcore

I'm feeling like he is a parody of
Hodor
from
Game of Thrones

Is that what you were going for, Insomniac? lol

no, in any other game I would have plenty of time to move the camera, so I don't think that should be necessary. Not to mention it doesn't address the fact that the camera moves way too slow, now I just have more time.

I'm guessing you just need more time to get a handle on the controls and stuff. I can zip around and shoot along the way and change my traversal method, switch my weapons, and go back to blasting them so smoothly. It's the best controlling game I've ever played, so it's kind of hard to see how you're having such a big problem with it.

LogN

no, in any other game I would have plenty of time to move the camera, so I don't think that should be necessary. Not to mention it doesn't address the fact that the camera moves way too slow, now I just have more time.

If you aren't grinding/bouncing ALL the time and using the auto-aim, you're going to have an AWFUL time.

I just beat the game and when I'm just "on the ground" fighting, forget it, the camera and overall sluggishness is awful, but it's meant to be that way. I don't agree that forcing you to play it "one way" is the right way, but that's how they want it done and I enjoyed it well enough :)

Dubz

I'm having a hard time understanding elements like amps and badges. For instance, I can never tell what amp I have equipped to my weapons. It just says I can swap them out. Where is the area in the weapon amp menu that tells you which amp is equipped to which weapon? Now that we're on the subject, how do you level up weapons?

Is there a noob guide somewhere out there?

Lucent

I'm having a hard time understanding elements like amps and badges. For instance, I can never tell what amp I have equipped to my weapons. It just says I can swap them out. Where is the area in the weapon amp menu that tells you which amp is equipped to which weapon? Now that we're on the subject, how do you level up weapons?

I think you just go to Character in the menu and highlight the weapon wheel where you set which weapons go in which slot. At the bottom it'll tell you to press X or something to add an amp to the weapon. I think the weapon has to be at least level 2 to add an amp.

You level your weapons by using them pretty much.

nbraun80

I gave a pretty good summary on the last page or so. Basically lvl guns by killing things with them, add amps to them ar lvl 2 and above in the weapons menu by pressing x.

RoKKeR

Ok, I cannot figure out the "Destroy Fizco Stuff" Challenge #1... I always get to 121/135 and can't figure out where the other containers of electronics are.

What am I missing here?

The chaos squad achievement for downtown is the last time consuming one I have to get and its super hard with just randoms. I'm usually topping the board with about 30k more points and we aren't even getting close to 1625 chaos nevermind actually surviving.

wtf...have u already gotten 20 guns to level 5? Figured that would take several days of grinding

JaggedSac

Is there a way on the minimap to tell which challenges you have already done without having to click more info? I can't seem to tell a difference between ones I've done and not done. And if Insomniac didn't put that in there, wtf?!? Seriously.

Is there a way on the minimap to tell which challenges you have already done without having to click more info? I can't seem to tell a difference between ones I've done and not done. And if Insomniac didn't put that in there, wtf?!? Seriously.

i asked that earlier and did not get a response, I do not think there is a way to tell. I have just been doing the same thing, pressing info

Vire

How's the mission structure? Are there set piece moments still or is it all just standard open world fare?

Beloree

Neo Member
We need 8 players racing mode in this game badly.
Ending spoilt warning:
That fake ending lmao, I was thinking "wtf, neogaf gonna eat you alive" too. However, the real one is still kinda weak compare to the rest of the game too, need more craziness and explosive.
I really hope game is doing well so we will get SO 2 with longer story mission and more bosses.

arhra

Finally got the game unlocked here in the UK, and put a few hours in. Just got to the Boo Boo Overdrive mission, and somehow managed to break the Kitty Cannon the first time (got back to Sasquatch and Friends and was trying to clear the OD out, but no matter where I shot the kitty, it was saying it was too far for the dog to reach; I think the dog must have fallen through the world or something...)

Still, aside from that glitch I've been having a great time.

Found some nice outfit options that I hadn't seen in any of the prerelease streams, too, which I presume are either from the season pass, or one of the other bonus codes from stuff on the website.

Been kinda bouncing back and forth between two different variants so far:

TWxUHiw.jpg

eZUpDf8.jpg

edit: Any UK/EU folks who're also still awake, follow me and let's do some chaos squad over the weekend. GT is the same as my forum name.

george_us

Damn once this game clicks it really gets its hooks into you. Still hate the humor and the soundtrack is meh, but everything else is awesome. Might be my favorite Insomniac game.

nbraun80

Ugh, makes me not want to even bother with them now. Especially since there are like a hundred of them, lol.
The green challenges? If you want to do them just press start and go into latest challenge, you can view the medals you have by quickly scrolling through and can fast travel to any of them.

Vire

The first hour or two is mostly fetch quests, but it gets a lot better after that and yeah there are some really nice set pieces.

Thanks! Is there any extended gameplay out there that would a give a good idea of what the games actually like? I've only seen the various trailers, and e3 demos. I saw Pewpedie did a video but I rather stab myself in the eye with a fork than watch that. Shame that GiantBomb didn't do a quick look of it.

I'm just trying to decide if I should buy an Xbox One now or hold out a little bit more.

Megasoum

Banned
Thanks! Is there any extended gameplay out there that would a give a good idea of what the games actually like? I've only seen the various trailers, and e3 demos. I saw Pewpedie did a video but I rather stab myself in the eye with a fork than watch that. Shame that GiantBomb didn't do a quick look of it.

I'm just trying to decide if I should buy an Xbox One now or hold out a little bit more.

cough cough

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-sunset-overdrive/2300-9597/

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

Dude, Giantbomb totally did a QL of it.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-sunset-overdrive/2300-9597/

Streaming from my capture card. Taking request as I have done all the missions and am short only a few more collectibles. Or come play Chaos Squad. Though I lost my mic, so no talking.

Heigic

Finally got the game unlocked here in the UK, and put a few hours in. Just got to the Boo Boo Overdrive mission, and somehow managed to break the Kitty Cannon the first time (got back to Sasquatch and Friends and was trying to clear the OD out, but no matter where I shot the kitty, it was saying it was too far for the dog to reach; I think the dog must have fallen through the world or something...)

I was watching a stream and the same thing happened. Guess it's a common bug.

Megasoum

Banned
I need another weapon (other than the Dirty Harry) that is good against the robots. I get out of ammo super quickly on the DH and then I'm fucked.

To do the challenges I have to go to each one on the map right? There isn't a quick select menu. And if so how can I tell if I have done the challenge already so I don't grind and bounce my way over for no reason.

Seems like they're are some major syncing issues when you join in progress in Chaos Squad. It's just really laggy and unresponsive. Enemies and teammates running in place and teleporting. Hopefully it's something Insomniac is working on already.

Tried some Chaos Squad. I don't know if the weapon is The Shocker or Charge Beam, but this guy using it was way too overpowered. The only reason I mind is because my prizes at the end are determined by score which is MASSIVELY influenced by the side missions available during each challenge and he monopolized the big enemy ones like killing a Herker or Fizzco Tank Bot. Maybe I just need to buy me one of those.

nynt9

I've encountered two errors preventing my progress. In the story mission where you defend Sam from the OD, I enter the courtyard where the game tells me to defend Sam, and I kill all the OD in the courtyard, but the quest doesn't progress. My character says something about a train but nothing happens and the objective marker is on Sam. I tried restarting several times but it keeps happening.

I then tried to do the side mission where I'm supposed to clear out the construction yard, and I did that, then I got an icon in the bottom right corner of a phone ringing, but I can't do anything about that either, and the mission isn't completing.

This is really frustrating.

Garland7G

I love the game, but here is some shit I would flag if I was still in QA:

1: Color code the challenges that you have already completed on the map.
2: Label 'new' on the category of clothing, this includes customize and vendor. (I shouldn't have to look into each option to find that one new piece.)
3: I should be able to unlock overdrives without having to choose swap, make it an option on the menu
4: When selecting amps for a new weapon, the amps should say which weapon the amp is currently equipped on.
5: Some game mechanics are only learned from tool tips and not from gameplay (wall run).
6: (personal gripe) traps should be allowed to be placed whenever (if you already can pls let me know).*Meh NM

Its a fantastic game, I hope they patch these few things in.

def sim

Try the acid sprinkler.

Mixing the sprinkler with the freeze amp has been effective for me. I like to use the bowling ball weapon against robots, as well, though that's mostly because I like weapons that require a charge. There's something so satisfying about them.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Is their a soundtrack list out? Would love to know what songs are in.

Most people say the songs sound punk, but most I've heard in gameplay sound way more garage rock.

I love the game, but here is some shit I would flag if I was still in QA:

1: Color code the challenges that you have already completed on the map.
2: Label 'new' on the category of clothing, this includes customize and vendor. (I shouldn't have to look into each option to find that one new piece.)
3: I should be able to unlock overdrives without having to choose swap, make it an option on the menu
4: When selecting amps for a new weapon, the amps should say which weapon the amp is currently equipped on.
5: Some game mechanics are only learned from tool tips and not from gameplay (wall run).
6: (personal gripe) traps should be allowed to be placed whenever (if you already can pls let me know).

Its a fantastic game, I hope they patch these few things in.
1-2 are pretty minor for me, 3-4 I agree with.

5 I have mixed feelings on. I don't want a wall run mission, but maybe a reference in the menu about it (if there isn't one already).

6 though, I disagree with. The system would have to be overhauled at least. Right now they are tied to base defense but out in the open they would need durability and they would need to be removed by the player or despawn after a distance. They also need to be placed while standing on the ground which during normal play the game greatly discourages. The game gives you proximity mines and the acid sprinkler like semi-traps. You can even tactically use Captain Ahab in conjunction with acid sprinkler to form something very much like a trap.

def sim

There totally is a wall-run mission. Can't remember when it was, but you circle around a build that has giant "X" buttons painted on it.

That mission is around ~2 hours into the game, IIRC. I would have liked to have known about wall-run cornering right in the beginning.

Garland7G

6 though, I disagree with. The system would have to be overhauled at least. Right now they are tied to base defense but out in the open they would need durability and they would need to be removed by the player or despawn after a distance. They also need to be placed while standing on the ground which during normal play the game greatly discourages. The game gives you proximity mines and the acid sprinkler like semi-traps. You can even tactically use Captain Ahab in conjunction with acid sprinkler to form something very much like a trap.
I actually agree with you on 6, I edited my post ;)
There totally is a wall-run mission. Can't remember when it was, but you circle around a build that has giant "X" buttons painted on it.
Ha! You're right!

Out of the first weapons available to purchase what is the best one?

I'm leaning towards the freeze ray one, it would be my first purchased weapon.

That mission is around ~2 hours into the game, IIRC. I would have liked to have known about wall-run cornering right in the beginning.
I didn't play that mission until more like 10 hours. By which time I'd worked it out on my own.

Completely forgot about air dash though. *facepalm*

Loving this game :)

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

I've been screwing around a lot in the game then. It was definitely a lot later than 2 hours for me. I was like, "You're introducing this now?"

Top Bottom