• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

mocoworm

Jesus wept, Amazon has gone downhill.

Game is released today in EU, right? So I checked my order yesterday: Preparing. All good.

Checked today: Still Preparing.

Bear in mind, I'm paying extra for delivery so that I get it next week. I get on webchat, and the guy cheerfully informs me that it will not be in stock until 3rd November. Wtf? I ordered in July, and now they think to tell me (and only when I ask) that my upgraded postage charges are a waste of money, because they're not sending it yet? And why set it to 'preparing' if they are not, you know, preparing anything.

Then, to top it all off, when I ask him to cancel, he say's he'll try. TRY??!!?? I couldn't let that go, so I politely enquired why there could possibly be a problem cancelling if they don't have the stock to fulfil my order. He then just backtracked and said it's cancelled. I wasn't rude to the guy or anything - it's not his fault after all, and he's probably not getting paid enough to deal with abuse from entitled customers.

tl/dr - I'm angry at Amazon and needed to vent.

Which Amazon? I had an email saying mine would be delivered today. I am in UK.

Anyone?

If there aren't community set challenges available, I think that'd be an awesome addition to extend replayability. There was a racing game (Forza 3/4?) that had a similar sort of thing where you could map out a track and then play it and upload it for other people to beat your time.

Not played the game yet and don't have a clue how if that is something that could be implemented but.. You could do stuff as simple as planning out a start and end point for a race and then set a time for people to beat.

It's not in the game, but it'd be an interesting idea. The way traversal challenges work now is that they're ring chases; you have to go through them in the right order to proceed. What you're talking about is a little more open ended, but it could be cool.

OrangeOak

I am in love with this game but there is one thing that annoys me.When I press start I would like to be on the character screen (where you customize weapons etc.) and not on that whatever it is screen right now.I even don't know what it is because I always press left right after it loads.
Also it would be really awesome to have faster loading when you are replaying challanges.
It always go into that camera angle and shows you the track.It can be annoying when you are repeating something a lot.
Other than that it is amazing.

BraXzy

It's not in the game, but it'd be an interesting idea. The way traversal challenges work now is that they're ring chases; you have to go through them in the right order to proceed. What you're talking about is a little more open ended, but it could be cool.

Ahh yeah, it makes sense to have checkpoints. I wonder how easy it would be for the devs to implement basic tools to make our own. Anything given to the community always brings up awesome results and replayability.

And in terms of traversal, grinds are the easiest thing to pick up so in the beginning thats the safest way to play - grinding in loops while shooting down, but to gain style and activate your higher level amps you're going to want to mix everything up - grinds to jumps to wall-running to grinds to super-jumps to ground-pounds to grinds, all mixed up with firing your weapons at their best ranges and situations. If you can make it across town without losing your traversal combo you'll feel like a bad-ass, and doubly so when being a bad-ass activates your super-bad-assness in terms of amps.

And this is where my luck with clipping through walls and having to fast travel just kills the experience for me.

Hardly anyone else has even mentioned this so I guess I have really bad luck.

Smidget

I guess I'm a little confused about the amp mechanics. I admit, I wasn't paying as much attention as I probably should have during the tutorial.

So you earn amps and put them in the 9(?) slots and they get leveled up. But in addition, you can put amps on the weapons somehow? I know they upgrade in level as you use them, but not sure if you can do something manually to upgrade some weapons faster than others?

And this is where my luck with clipping through walls and having to fast travel just kills the experience for me.

Hardly anyone else has even mentioned this so I guess I have really bad luck.
Yeah, that is very messed up, but I haven't seen anything even close to that. Outside of occasionally noticeable pop-in and the music sometimes deciding it doesn't want to play for a bit I haven't had any technical issues at all.

I guess I'm a little confused about the amp mechanics. I admit, I wasn't paying as much attention as I probably should have during the tutorial.

So you earn amps and put them in the 9(?) slots and they get leveled up. But in addition, you can put amps on the weapons somehow? I know they upgrade in level as you use them, but not sure if you can do something manually to upgrade some weapons faster than others?

Amps don't level up on their own, only weapons do that. You slot Amps into a) your 5 Amp slots and b) your weapons. Each amp is assigned a category, be it weapons, hero, epic, divebomb, or melee.

deadfolk

Which Amazon? I had an email saying mine would be delivered today. I am in UK.

UK, but I'm in Ireland. There's no Irish amazon - amazon.ie just redirects to .co.uk, and then they crucify you with slow and expensive delivery charges. And this time, failure to even dispatch on the release date or even notify me of the fact.

Still, it's worked out well, because I've now spent the money on a half-price PSTV from play-asia, which is a deal I would have missed out on. I'll have to grab SO another time. Plus I still have the code for the pre-order bonus which Amazon mailed out in advance.

Smidget

Amps don't level up on their own, only weapons do that. You slot Amps into a) your 5 Amp slots and b) your weapons. Each amp is assigned a category, be it weapons, hero, epic, divebomb, or melee.

A-ha, I was missing b). I swore I could level up amps, but is that something else? Like more % damage against OD, etc.

T.O.P

Banned
Finally
SqW9ET3.jpg
Updating now :D

A-ha, I was missing b). I swore I could level up amps, but is that something else? Like more % damage against OD, etc.

Yeah, that's Overdrives. Bit different, more... passive, I guess. You buy Overdrives with Badges, which you earn by doing stuff. Like, you earn grinding badges by grinding, and with them you can buy overdrives that enhance your grinds.

Smidget

Yeah, that's Overdrives. Bit different, more... passive, I guess. You buy Overdrives with Badges, which you earn by doing stuff. Like, you earn grinding badges by grinding, and with them you can buy overdrives that enhance your grinds.

Thanks guys, think I got it. Now I just need to get better at traversing :)

Yeah, that is very messed up, but I haven't seen anything even close to that. Outside of occasionally noticeable pop-in and the music sometimes deciding it doesn't want to play for a bit I haven't had any technical issues at all.

Some of them could be avoided (like a wire ending right before a glass opening to an ice cream shop), I ground off the wire and hit the glass just right to end up inside, and there's no door and you can't break the windows.

Some of them not so much, I was grinding one of those ledges on the edge of a building and fell straight down into the wall below.

Not enough to make me not desire to go play more, but when it happens it snaps me out of the Awesomepocalypse. And we all know once your in you don't want to leave. :)

abadguy

Banned
After playing this game for 5 hours today

mind_blown.gif

Who the hell was calling the traversal slow?

Yeah, the game started to truly click with me as soon as i unlock the air dash. holy shit! Not only does it really open up traversal but it's an excellent defensive and offensive maneuver Dashing over/ toward enemies of away from them while blasting with a powerful weapon. I was facing a Herker and dashing all over the place while fucking his shit up with the compensator. Really loving the missions so far too. So far my personal GOTY!

FHIZ

So, after getting the hang of this game, I realized I wasn't dying enough, thus not seeing all the respawn animations. So every now and then, I just jump to the ground and let the mutants do their work. Man, some of these are amongst my favorite bits in the game. Just got the
Portal
one. I'm a sucker for cheap fan service, apparently.

Yeah, the game started to truly click with me as soon as i unlock the air dash. holy shit! Not only does it really open up traversal but it's an excellent defensive and offensive maneuver Dashing over/ toward enemies of away from them while blasting with a powerful weapon. I was facing a Herker and dashing all over the place while fucking his shit up with the compensator. Really loving the missions so far too. So far my personal GOTY!
Yeah - considering the number and composition of the enemies thrown at you, and all the weapons to manage, all while keeping your style combos going to chaining one move after another while nailing your shots - if it was any faster it'd be too much.

Just a small taste of mixing it up in free roam. I can, and do, do this for hours :) And that was just before my random zaps of lightning amp kicked in.

And a random aside: I've formulated a method to the madness of my weapon wheel. Most effective weapon against Scabs to the left, robots on the right, OD on the bottom, and bosses up top. Then I slot weapons on the diagonals based upon their mix of damage. So, good against Scabs and ODs? Slot it in bottom left. robots and bosses? Top right.

Heh, so far it works for me anyway.

chris121580

I stayed pretty in the dark about this game so I had no clue really what to expect but after getting used to the controls and learning new moves by playing the campaign, this is some of the most fun I've ever had playing a video game. The traversal never gets old and it's awesome how quick you can get to a location. I feel like this is a must own if you have an Xbox One. One of the best games of the year. By the way, more games need to take note of how this game handles missions...perfect way to do it...save for later and make it easy to choose which one you want to be active.

JonCha

Played a couple of hours this morning. Overall I'm enjoying it but it's definitely starting slowly. At the moment I'm just doing quest after quest so I'm hoping there will be more variety in the near future.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys, a bit OT but since this is the biggest XB1 thread going on right now...

Does the XB1 Headset Adapter allows you to plug regular headphones to get full audio out from the controller like you can on the PS4?

I'm using an xb1 plugged into my second computer monitor at work so I don't have any way to get the audio out right now.

3 or 4 hours in and this really is fantastic. The traversal makes the combat a lot more fun than a usual third person shooter, as do the weapons. The dialogue is really good too, really self referential and there's quite a few game references in there.

Hey guys, a bit OT but since this is the biggest XB1 thread going on right now...

Does the XB1 Headset Adapter allows you to plug regular headphones to get full audio out from the controller like you can on the PS4?

I'm using an xb1 plugged into my second computer monitor at work so I don't have any way to get the audio out right now.

Yes, any stereo headset with the adapter should let you hear the game audio through the headset.

Msmart

Neo Member

Correct, it does this

Murray97

Does anyone know a good way to get Overcharge quickly after finishing the game? I can't seem to find any way at all to get some and its really depressing because I'll never be able to unlock the expensive weapons.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

Yes.

I use an insane set up that involves the following:

1) Headset Adaptor
2) Astro Gaming Y Splitter (Splits the stereo signal from the mic signal)
3) The Headphone part goes to a FiooE07 Amp
4) My Audiotechnica A900x's get the sound from the amp.
5) The mic line of the splitter connects to my antlion modmic

I look like a weird nerd hobo while I play.

dankir

Just got the flying ability, now I'm really loving the traversal. So smooth and quick.

This game is awesome, I love it.

How long is everyone finding this to be? I can't tell how early I am
Just saved the troops from the dragon and did a few missions with Scientist guy-man.

Cool, thanks for all the replies. I guess I'll have to go pick up the adapter.

Be aware some devices don't work wit it for chat, mt Razer Krakens for example.

From amazon:

Any 3.5 millimeter stereo headset (that uses the CTIA plug standard) can get stereo game audio by plugging into the adapter

I was waaaaay to slow

Detective

So how is the game fellow gaffers :D

Am waiting for my new white bundle and didn't want to spoil the game by watching lots of videos and what not.

Azlan

I have only played the game for a couple of hours, but my initial worries that the humor would detract from the game were unfounded (for me). I often times get a smile or a chuckle and when they miss it is never so cringe-worthy that it effects my enjoyment of the game.

The traversal is a lot of fun once you get the controls down and can be pretty tricky when fighting enemies and switching weapons mid-grind, wall-ride, etc. Excited to play some more and very happy that the game is living up to my expectations. I needed something like this after playing The Evil Within.

Oh man... Just found brill cream, lol!

The achievement art makes for great backgrounds with the latest fast update.

Loving this game, best I've played in a long time.

I couldn't stop laughing. I felt like a juvenile at that point. The boss fight in that part of the game was amazing as well.

Does anyone know a good way to get Overcharge quickly after finishing the game? I can't seem to find any way at all to get some and its really depressing because I'll never be able to unlock the expensive weapons.

Probably just keep killing ODs?

I hope/assume that in the future there will be some kind of Bornerland 2 update that makes it way easier to get stuff/currency that's super hard currently.

cheezcake

GODDAMN I love that air dash!

I didn't expect anything to take over Divinity: Original Sin for my GOTY but Sunset may just do it

JonCha

Yes.

1) Headset Adaptor

This sounds like an great setup. The problem I've always with headsets is having chat and game audio come through at once and, with my Turtle Beaches, the game audio drowning out chat. Is that what your setup prevents happen?

And how do you manage that many wires haha?

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yes.

1) Headset Adaptor

I need to get those so I can use my Antlion mod mic!

It took me a few minutes to get the joke with Bryllcream, but damn I laughed when I did (and then felt extremely bad for it).

I was doing that. I earned maybe 5k in 3 hours.

If you've done all the side missions, I think your best bet is Chaos Squad.

Top Bottom