• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

I'm about three hours in and man oh man the controls are so silky smooth for this game.
The trickiest parts for me, control-wise:

* Trying to nail those flip bars with the toilet paper strewn on em - they're always right next to power-lines so the magnetism will draw you to the lines instead of the bars 90% of the time when approached from above. Reminds me of - sorry Miles - Infamous, and trying to get those energy shards that were placed in areas where the only difficulty was overcoming the game's super magnetism - like on top of a pole next to an overhang. Same deal.

* I wish there was a straight-forward way to change direction while wall-running. If there is, let me know because it could come in useful.

* In the heat of a tense battle of defense mission I try to very very quickly use the weapon wheel to pick the appropriate boom-boom, but when I bring the wheel up super quick and select a direction I tend not to end up with the weapon I thought I selected. Maybe I have no dexterity or maybe its a little slow to register. Not sure. But it happens often enough.

People have to say that it's kinda like inFamous + JSR + Tony Hawk + Saints Row or whatever. That tells me that we succeeded in making something unique.
Oh hell yes. I described the game to a friend before I played it as Insomniac's take on Saint's Row, but there are a million different ingredients in here. Everything mentioned above, along with Crackdown, Diablo 3 (for hot swappable power synergies and how amps work in a manner not unlike Nephalem Glory), and even some RTS/Tower defense elements - you definitely end up juggling quite a lot at once in some of the trickier missions and it comes down to how well you can make snap decisions and traverse to get the proper vantage points and firing lines without stumbling.

Strider

There's just something really addicting about killing enemies and collecting the cans afterwards. I think it's that soda popping sound lol

Grisby

* Trying to nail those flip bars with the toilet paper strewn on em - they're always right next to power-lines so the magnetism will draw you to the lines instead of the bars 90% of the time when approached from above. Reminds me of - sorry Miles - Infamous, and trying to get those energy shards that were placed in areas where the only difficulty was overcoming the game's super magnetism - like on top of a pole next to an overhang. Same deal.
I actually kind of love it. If you wait until you're a hair below the lines then you'll grab it. Feel like a huge boss after skipping a line and then hitting the pole at the right moment.

Although I have had it go the other way, in which I hot the line first. Like you said, there's a pretty big magnetic gap.

Played a good 4 hours and unlocked the air dash, fuck me the movement system the combat it all flows so well together with everything else, absolutely love this game now.
Great job Insomniac its great to see you return to form.

RoKKeR

This game is amazing really hope it gets love at retail.

Yeah I'm interested to see how it performs sales-wise. There's a lot going against it... New-IP, relatively new console, lots of holiday competition... but it has gotten great reviews and the word of mouth seems to be solid.

Hope it does well because Insomniac really nailed it here, can't wait to play more over the weekend.

ohlawd

yep I just unlocked the air dash. Soooooo fucking good

holy shit this is the best game I've played on my X1. not like I've played a lot but damn this game is so ace. should still be my favorite X1 game for a good long while.

Kssio_Aug

yep I just unlocked the air dash. Soooooo fucking good

holy shit this is the best game I've played on my X1. not like I've played a lot but damn this game is so ace. should still be my favorite X1 game for a good long while.

Air dash is a gaming changer! It really adds A LOT to the traversal aspect! The game is so much better for me after got it!

It is, together with Forza Horizon 2, my two favorite games of this gen until now. Like... easily!!

noonche

* In the heat of a tense battle of defense mission I try to very very quickly use the weapon wheel to pick the appropriate boom-boom, but when I bring the wheel up super quick and select a direction I tend not to end up with the weapon I thought I selected. Maybe I have no dexterity or maybe its a little slow to register. Not sure. But it happens often enough.

Something I've noticed people do a lot is simultaneously release the stick and the button when leaving the weapon wheel. Unfortunately because of how your thumbs lay on the stick you often slightly rotate the stick as you are releasing it. It's something that we might be able to compensate for... I'll ask around.

bryanee

Fun game just had a glitch though. I got stuck in a looping respawn. The portal repsawn kept repeating itself.

edit -

Lol it was still happening after quitting the game and rebooting.

Basketball

This game is just truly fantastic

The city design is fun and detailed ----- total opposite of Sr3 and Sr4
the weapons feel good to use

the clothing is varied and the combinations are infinite

the enemies are fun to fight , the music hits at the right time
the unlockables and the challenges are very well done

Totally exceeded my expectations

Hats off to Insomniac

Definity

Everyone's talking about air dash but I feel the ground pound jump is equally as game changing... It's like the manual of SO

Oh yeah, that's my combo. Air dash to ground pound jump when I'm having trouble finding a rail to grind on. Gotta keep that combo going!

Wounded

Never had a game grow on me so quickly. I was excited, but couldn't really get going well for the first few minutes then all of a sudden it clicks and wow it's so much fun to play.

Something I've noticed people do a lot is simultaneously release the stick and the button when leaving the weapon wheel. Unfortunately because of how your thumbs lay on the stick you often slightly rotate the stick as you are releasing it. It's something that we might be able to compensate for... I'll ask around.
I'll definitely give it a shot, thanks. Feels like that could be the culprit.

Felt a bit indifferent at first but after a couple of hours I'm really enjoying it, it flows really well once you get upgrades and so on. Insominac did a great job with this game , here is my character

image.jpg

Felt a bit indifferent at first but after a couple of hours I'm really enjoying it, it flows really well once you get upgrades and so on. Insominac did a great job with this game , here is my character

image.jpg
Shit my character looks exactly like yours. Same face/hair/colors and tank top.

She's unreal.

VinFTW

Probably about 4 hours in. One of the best games I've played this year (along with Dark Souls 2, Forza Horizon 2 and a few others).

Man... that
Fizzie boss battle was hilarious, epic, and awesome. One of the best boss battles in recent memory for me.

Can the XB1 take screenshots? I cant remember. I'd like to take a few.

That's what I'd like to know.
Xbox one newbi here

We can only dream of natively taken screenshots until 2015.

Still can't believe they didn't have it ready for this game. Instead they focused on crap like DLNA and MKV support.

Not currently, unfortunately.

Miles will be able to tell you more...!

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to capture an image of something awesome....

I'm so bitterly angry...

Dominator

I've only played for about an hour and a half but its not grabbing me... I'm just not having fun playing it. Its a shame because I was very hyped for it but I just can't get into it.

I love Ratchet and Clank and wacky weapons too. I don't know what my problem is with this.

DALBEN

Banned
Probably about 4 hours in. One of the best games I've played this year (along with Dark Souls 2, Forza Horizon 2 and a few others).

Man... that
Fizzie boss battle was hilarious, epic, and awesome. One of the best boss battles in recent memory for me.

It is pretty great.

We can only dream of natively taken screenshots until 2015.

Still can't believe they didn't have it ready for this game. Instead they focused on crap like DLNA and MKV support.

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to capture an image of something awesome....

I'm so bitterly angry...
This game deserves a photo mode.
How annoying :(

I wanna take a pic of my wolf knight.

pixlexic

Banned
I passed over this game for lords of the fallen the last few days. I shouldnt have its freaking awesome. and I usually hate these open world shooters.

BradC00

just beat the story a few hours ago. not bad at all. my only complaint is that it's too easy, but then again this isn't supposed to be a game where you actually think tactically. it's more of a dead rising 3 kill zombies!!!!! with a JSR twist. love it.

Top Bottom