• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

I need help identifying one of the songs on the soundtrack.

The lyrics are something like “I wish there was a different answer…I wish there was another way” etc. Thrashing guitar punky song. Halp!

Serious question: would you buy an Xbox One just for this game?!

Considering it (plus Halo).

If you were planning on getting Halo and other games down the line, sure. I find it fun enough to warrant a system purchase so long that you get other games for it. I can't say for sure how long the game would last as I tried chaos mode for a bit and it didn't do anything for me. The campaign is pretty fun in spurts.

I wonder if Insomniac would consider adding some additional times of day. It feels like Sunset Overdrive should have a sunset time of day.

The game looks like a painting, and I have enjoyed just walking around pretty much every single part of the map in awe of how beautiful it is. The colors and shades all look hand crafted for this painterly look right down to the light and dark shades of the fixed shadows. So although some games work great with day night cycles I personally think it would be a detriment to this style.

VanWinkle

The game looks like a painting, and I have enjoyed just walking around pretty much every single part of the map in awe of how beautiful it is. The colors and shades all look hand crafted for this painterly look right down to the light and dark shades of the fixed shadows. So although some games work great with day night cycles I personally think it would be a detriment to this style.

I wouldn't want a day-night cycle. I would just like a few hand-crafted times of day, like morning, the normal noon time of the current one, sunset, and the night time. And you'd be able to switch between whatever time of day you want, like how it is with inFamous Second Son. That way you don't get some occasional ugly times that come from a day-night cycle.

Look here:

10257649_10154026052830626_6957864035700875275_o.jpg
10256701_10154026051920626_4700869735801731268_o.jpg
1965418_10154026051295626_8350223119039262653_o.jpg

1979222_10154026050370626_5405127135382564427_o.jpg
965078_10154026049735626_8537061850463554328_o.jpg
1614229_10154026049090626_1671095921721209092_o.jpg

You can switch between the different hand-created times of day at will via the menu. I think it would be great to have a similar system for Sunset Overdrive to mix it up a bit.

If you like the look of the game & it's style, you can't get it anywhere else. I loved infamous on my PS4 for example, but its not comparable - there is no single game that compares since its such a unique combination of gameplay systems.

I think it's a good enough game to justify buying the console it's that good. People talk about Mario 64 being good enough to justify buying a N64, and I think SO is just as special and unique. (And I don't particularly like Mario 64 or regular pure platform games)

I wouldn't want a day-night cycle. I would just like a few hand-crafted times of day, like morning, the normal noon time of the current one, sunset, and the night time. And you'd be able to switch between whatever time of day you want, like how it is with inFamous Second Son. That way you don't get some occasional ugly times that come from a day-night cycle.

Look here:

You can switch between the different hand-created times of day at will via the menu. I think it would be great to have a similar system for Sunset Overdrive to mix it up a bit.

Yeah it could work definitely and I like that with infamous, but SO has a more striking use of colors everywhere, I think every location looks unique vs infamous which has more repetition. And I love infamous SS for different reasons (I think it's the best superpowers type game ever made). I'd give both games 10/10.

eshwaaz

I just can't get over how great this game feels to play. The amount of time Insomniac must have spent tweaking and adjusting to get things just right must be staggering.

I just can't get over how great this game feels to play. The amount of time Insomniac must have spent tweaking and adjusting to get things just right must be staggering.

Id also like to know how much they used ratchet code prototyping since it often made we remember early ratchet games. Of course it s way more complicated making an entire world traversable, and interweaved systems vs specific pieces.

Man imagine if the next ratchet is this good...

Kalm

So, anyone have any suggestions on places to grind for pole swing badges? I have copious amounts of all the others and I just don't swing on poles enough.

I'm super late with this but...

Find one of the small sail boats and just pole-swing back and forth. Once you get the rhythm down, you can just chain the swings together and skip most of the animation so it's really fast. Also, if you happen to miss a swing, you'll just bounce off the boat and be back at the perfect height to start again.

I think it took me about 20 mins to get the 15 badges I needed for the quick-style overdrive and you'll get some bounce badges as well.

Jaxx

Banned

I am on Monday when the 50 dollar sale starts. This game plus obviously Halo MCC. Then there's also Ori, QB, and the best arcade/sim racer on the planet - FH2.

I wonder if they'll try to implement some of SO's ideas into the next Ratchet? Maybe they'll let us shoot while on the hoverboots or something? (well hover board since Ratchet doesn't get the hover boots until CiT, and since it's sort of kinda an important plot point, they probably wouldn't alter that) Maybe instead of there just being a few grind rail segments, some grind rails will be incorporated into the level design?

BashNasty

People asking if it's worth it to buy an Xbone just for this game, that's a tough question. I will say, I bought a SO bundle so I could play Forza Horizon 2, SO and MCC and I am totally satisfied with my purchase. I expected Sunset Overdrive to be great and it's better than I had hoped. The way the city is so intricately built for traversal is mind blowing. It really feels next gen.

VanWinkle

I wonder if they'll try to implement some of SO's ideas into the next Ratchet? Maybe they'll let us shoot while on the hoverboots or something? (well hover board since Ratchet doesn't get the hover boots until CiT, and since it's sort of kinda an important plot point, they probably wouldn't alter that) Maybe instead of there just being a few grind rail segments, some grind rails will be incorporated into the level design?

Maybe Sony will ask them to make the next R&C open-world now, lol.

I would actually like that.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

That always depends on your disposable income. I think if you kind of already want an XB1 but are waiting for a game to play then this absolutely is a game you'll want to play. Aside from that there are other great exclusives like Forza Horizon 2, D4, Killer Instinct, Max The Curse Of Brotherhood and upcoming games like Halo, Scalebound, Quantum Break, Ori etc. Plus, the EA Access service is great way to get a few games cheap right off the bat.

So SO isn't the only reason to own the console but it's a great one.

First impression of Chaos Squad:

Well it certainly lives up to it's name(that's for sure). I'll give it that. I played one of the matches that has a the areas and the parts before the night defense feel almost too chaotic with everyone spamming turret copters, acid sprinklers and weapons that cause explosions.

Each mission is over so quick that it doesn't really feel like anything was accomplished. The Night Defense portion (the final objective that all the prior missions lead up to) itself is great and it is just as satisfying as it was in the campaign to traverse around the map, lay traps and defend the area from OD.

I'm not sure if I will be playing Chaos Squad a lot after that. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I'll probably give it a few more tries and play at least a couple times with friends to see if the experience differs any.

I think this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but it would be great to have races to the next objective added in. Overall, I was underwhelmed by it, but that was just one match and maybe it's because I was expecting a more traditional Horde mode a la Gears.

Eh, it could. R&C is at it's best for me in the more linear, carefully designed levels with clever enemy placements rather than just fighting enemies in a big battlefield like setting. Which is why I don't rank Crack in Time that high in terms of R&C games (Although I loved the objective stuff in UYA)

VanWinkle

Eh, it could. R&C is at it's best for me in the more linear, carefully designed levels with clever enemy placements rather than just fighting enemies in a big battlefield like setting. (Although I loved the objective stuff in UYA)

Well, they could still make story missions feel more linear if they wanted. I don't think the story missions on here necessarily feel like they hinge on being open world a lot of the time.

I don't think I'd be opposed to an R&C game that is structured like SO.

BokehKing

Banned
Well, they could still make story missions feel more linear if they wanted. I don't think the story missions on here necessarily feel like they hinge on being open world a lot of the time.

I think the problem with the open world missions is... You try to grind grind grind, and then next thing you know, you're no where near your objective anymore.

I rather a more closed off arena type grinding I suppose

Caved and bought the season pass (mainly because from the 1st November I'm trying not to careless spend cash).

I hope the DLC is as good as the base game.

I think something like that would sacrifice the amount of different planets you go to in the game though. I mean i'm sure it would still be good, I'd just prefer they not do that because I'd rather have 15+ planets than 5 or 6 planets that are structured around an open world.

webkatt

Just throwing it out there but if Nyone doesn't want the Ryse code they got I will gladly tKe it!

I'll twitch the whole thing too!

Kalm

Does anyone remember if there was a mission that spawns endless Scabs?

I'm looking for something similar to the Fizzco bridge trick thing and can't seem to find a good spot.

arhra

I wish they would add something that let's you track what challenges you have completed though.

Main menu -> Leaderboards -> Challenges

You can easily see which you've completed, what medals you got, and where you stand in relation to your friends (or the entire world if you want).

Guerrilla

Main menu -> Leaderboards -> Challenges

You can easily see which you've completed, what medals you got, and where you stand in relation to your friends (or the entire world if you want).

But you can't see it on the map, right? It be nice to be able to hide the ones you already have gold in.

The traversal in this game is just too awesome, once you get the airdash it feels so fluid fast. It's a blast to just collect items.

Humor is also clicking with me, most of the time not haha funny but hehe funny.

Overall GREAT game, thx insomniac!

Ape

Banned
how do people get such high scores on chaos squad?

Oh, and what does the Japanese way on the back of the belly shirt that says "true til death" on the front?

this game looks amazing, holy fucking christ. I was not sure if anything was gonna top Saints Row 4 in crazy, but color me impressed.

Open World games have come into their own in these last few years. GTA5, Black Flag, Sleeping Dogs, and this.. dayum.

God the female voice actor is so much better than the male one. I started male, then switched to female and like it so much better.

Haven't listened to the male one, but from what I've heard from other players, it seems true. I think I said it earlier, but the female VO wanting the propeller to be a surprise for Walter (and her inflection for it) was genuinely cute and added a paternal aspect to an otherwise shallow relationship.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Just finished. What a ride! If people do decide to get an XB1, this should be the first game you get if you're not grabbing the bundle.

arhra

But you can't see it on the map, right? It be nice to be able to hide the ones you already have gold in.

Yeah, there's no indication on the map. On the upside, you can jump straight to any challenge from the leaderboards, so it's not like you have to look up what challenges you still need there, then scour the map to figure out where they are.

Being able to hide golds (or maybe have the map marker coloured based on what medal you've got, or something) would definitely be nice, though, since just getting around the city is fun enough that I'd be perfectly happy to just grind around the world to finish off the challenges rather than doing them all from the menu.

anthonyOA

Only just started but wow @this game. They just nailed the art style perfectly. Technically the game isn't exactly pulling up roots, but it's just impressive to see so much going on at once. So much to do on screen at any time!

The traversal is fantastic even without air dash IMO. The guy/girl who was responsible for this needs a raise (saw him/her post on here during the US launch). It really makes the game unique. Just getting used to moving the camera around and shooting. Bloody fun though. Everyone pick this up along with FH2. They actually deserve the sales.

Leyasu

Banned
5hrs of play, (I've been taking it easy) chaos squad and challenges, I just made it to
troop Bushido

Goty for me. Nothing even coming close.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
So today I started collecting stuff, and at one of binoculars, the dude said
"Nice view. More importantly, one step closer to a pointless achievement"
13764336984_764e30836b_o.gif

BTW, how do you get to the top of the hospital?
/Las Catrinas residence? There's a binocular there and I can't reach it.

Top Bottom