• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

This is Insomniac's response to the lack of new Jet Set Radio.

It has nothing in common with Infamous. This comparison is so silly, it needs to stop.

It has a lot in common with InFamous. You grind and generally move around but to a lesser degree and abilitiy in inFamous. You could say that the guns are more or less just like the different powers you get in InFamous. SO has a ton of nuances from a lot of games, JSR and InFamous included, no need to get bent out of shape about it.

One thing that struck me was there is actually a decent amount of mission variety. Not everything involves just killing other enemies. That automatically makes it a much better game than Infamous SS was. I love that there's a good amount of platforming, the traversal is great, some pretty good enemy variety, guns are fun, etc. Then there's the co-op stuff that I haven't even tried yet. So good.

Well there was actually a fair amount of variety in inFamous Second Son's main mission line.

That's what kinda frustrated me, the storyline in that game had a lot of clever design work. Some really fun missions, but they never took it into the side content. The side content was entirely undercooked.

It's just an early-gen title I guess. Whereas this has had an extra 7 months cooking.

I've encountered two errors preventing my progress. In the story mission where you defend Sam from the OD, I enter the courtyard where the game tells me to defend Sam, and I kill all the OD in the courtyard, but the quest doesn't progress. My character says something about a train but nothing happens and the objective marker is on Sam. I tried restarting several times but it keeps happening.

I then tried to do the side mission where I'm supposed to clear out the construction yard, and I did that, then I got an icon in the bottom right corner of a phone ringing, but I can't do anything about that either, and the mission isn't completing.

This is really frustrating.

Do you have the day 1 patch (ie, is your xbox online)? It is not very big and I would recommend it if you do not already have it.

On the defend sam mission, try quitting the game entirely (ie, don't just suspend it - easiest way is to launch a different game or quit the game from the xbox dashboard) and then replay.

At one point there was a bug (which I think is supposed to be fixed, so this might not be the issue at all) where you could kill all the OD that are attacking the barricade and then the mission wouldn't progress because they need to kill it eventually. So maybe next time you try it, just ignore the guys behind the barricade and focus on killing the od that are in the courtyard with you.

Dazzyman

Nooooooo......just had a real bad bowt of motion sickness with this so had to stop. Even them I'm loving it even if I've only done an hour. I did restart and wipe my save today as wanted to do the first missions with more style. Guess that says it all, stylish, moreish, great game :)

A word of warning to anyone who buys things from Best Buy:Never buy any downloadable content from them that doesn't have the code on the card itself. I picked up Sunset Overdrive there on Tuesday night along with the Season Pass...

Update - After I submitted a ticket to Best Buy's support forum this morning, I received my SO season pass code today at 4PM so kudos to their semi-prompt service. While I am glad I finally got the code, going forward I will still be wary of buying DLC where I don't walk out of the store with a code in my hands.

It has a lot in common with InFamous. You grind and generally move around but to a lesser degree and abilitiy in inFamous. You could say that the guns are more or less just like the different powers you get in InFamous. SO has a ton of nuances from a lot of games, JSR and InFamous included, no need to get bent out of shape about it.

You can grind and generally move around in other games too.

Claiming that because it has grinding means it's directly comparable or a response to the other is ridiculous and it's something that does need to stop.

teraMEL0S

Nooooooo......just had a real bad bowt of motion sickness with this so had to stop. Even them I'm loving it even if I've only done an hour. I did restart and wipe my save today as wanted to do the first missions with more style. Guess that says it all, stylish, moreish, great game :)
For future reference, you can replay missions by looking them up on the leaderboards.

Kalm

I'm about ready to hurt someone after spending an hour on "The Dude Challenge".

I can't even get close, even after memorizing the lane spawns and breezing through every other challenge I've tried. Is there a trick to this?

VanWinkle

Claiming that because it has grinding means it's directly comparable or a response to the other is ridiculous and it's something that does need to stop.

I don't know why you're playing ignorant of the similarities between the two games. It's not a big deal, but they are fairly similar. Both use unique weapons, are in an open world city, are heavily focused on traversal, and the most visually impressive exclusive of their respective platforms. You can play them back to back and the similarities between the two are obvious.

I don't know why you're playing ignorant of the similarities between the two games. It's not a big deal, but they are fairly similar. Both use unique weapons, are in an open world city, are heavily focused on traversal, and the most visually impressive exclusive of their respective platforms.

These aren't comparisons that are exclusive between the two. My issue is people saying this is in anyway a response to Infamous. When you look past the mostly superficial similarities (of which there are very, very few), the games have literally nothing in common.

If this game is Microsoft's response to inFamous then they fucking nailed it. I mean I liked Second Son but this game is on a complete different level. I'm especially loving the timed checkpoint side missions, reminds me so much of the old Tony Hawk games.

Why would MS have a response to Infamous? Crackdown pre-dates it by 2 years or so

noonche

*shrug*

We definitely didn't set out to make an inFamous clone, but we definitely played and paid attention to inFamous, Tony Hawk and JSR (as well as about a bazillion other games) while working on it.

I think one of the things I like best is that you can't really describe SO as being just like game X. People have to say that it's kinda like inFamous + JSR + Tony Hawk + Saints Row or whatever. That tells me that we succeeded in making something unique.

VanWinkle

These aren't comparisons that are exclusive between the two. My issue is people saying this is in anyway a response to Infamous. When you look past the mostly superficial similarities (of which there are very, very few), the games have literally nothing in common.

I don't agree that it's their "response" to inFamous or anything like that, because frankly I don't think inFamous is a huge enough game to warrant a response from a competitor. However, I still don't agree with you at all that the games have "literally nothing in common". If you've played both games recently, the feel, the fast traversal, weaponry, combat, mission structure, collectibles, ec. are all similar enough that you have to be feigning ignorance to not see the similarities. And I'm not saying Insomniac took the ideas from inFamous or anything; I'm just capable of seeing that they're fairly similar games.

*shrug*

We definitely didn't set out to make an inFamous clone, but we definitely played and paid attention to inFamous, Tony Hawk and JSR (as well as about a bazillion other games) while working on it.

I think one of the things I like best is that you can't really describe SO as being just like game X. People have to say that it's kinda like inFamous + JSR + Tony Hawk + Saints Row or whatever. That tells me that we succeeded in making something unique.

Let me just say, truly fantastic game, really hope it does well and goes on to become one of the generations defining new IP.

And it's really grating to see people constantly trying to claim this is in anyway a 1:1 response to Infamous. I'm seeing it more and more, it's doing a huge disservice to the game.

One last thing, can you please bring back the coloured streaks behind the character in the DLC or give the option to change the colour of the combo streak.

I don't agree that it's their "response" to inFamous or anything like that, because frankly I don't think inFamous is a huge enough game to warrant a response from a competitor. However, I still don't agree with you at all that the games have "literally nothing in common". If you've played both games recently, the feel, the fast traversal, weaponry, combat, mission structure, collectibles, ec. are all similar enough that you have to be feigning ignorance to not see the similarities. And I'm not saying Insomniac took the ideas from inFamous or anything; I'm just capable of seeing that they're fairly similar games.

But they aren't fairly similar games. I'm not trying to put down Infamous, I really like the games and consider First Light to be a fantastic game, but they don't have much in common.

The traversal mechanics are entirely different, the way you build momentum is different, the combat mechanics are different, the way the game world is designed is entirely different, even the collectables and their worth in the game is different.

They aren't comparable and any similarities they share are entirely superficial.

ohlawd

aww shit, I thought amp unlocks were in tiers. I just used up 10 signs for an amp I ain't even gonna use

and I need money. LT area is 5k per map :x

Quick question guys, the style meter, goes up 1.2,3 etc does it reach a certain number and it gives you a special power or finishing move or something ? I missed that part in the tutorial

Yup, couldn't agree more.

I skipped dinner last night as I was too engrossed in exploring the game world and finding the Fizzle balloons, TP and signs.

Speaking of the signs, I can't seem to figure out how to get them. Anyone know?

Also, fuck you Xbox, Record That.

I had an epic traversal I wanted to show off, said Xbox, record that as soon as I hit the ground and it only captures the first five seconds of the traversal. The rest is BS with me standing around admiring the scenery.

GAH.

yeah I try to get above them and drop on them, and hit the Y button to pick the signs up
as I go past
some are a real pain to get to

noonche

Let me just say, truly fantastic game, really hope it does well and goes on to become one of the generations defining new IP.

And it's really grating to see people constantly trying to claim this is in anyway a 1:1 response to Infamous. I'm seeing it more and more, it's doing a huge disservice to the game.

One last thing, can you please bring back the coloured streaks behind the character in the DLC or give the option to change the colour of the combo streak.

But they aren't fairly similar games. I'm not trying to put down Infamous, I really like the games and consider First Light to be a fantastic game, but they don't have much in common.

The traversal mechanics are entirely different, the way you build momentum is different, the combat mechanics are different, the way the game world is designed is entirely different, even the collectables and their worth in the game is different.

They aren't comparable and any similarities they share are entirely superficial.

Thanks for the kind words.

If I remember right, we were having lots of readability problems with the character trails. They conflict with amps that having meaningful trails, get in the way of blower reticules and other gameplay elements. We might explore them again in the future when we look into additional ways to allow players to express themselves, but I honestly don't know.

Quick question guys, the style meter, goes up 1.2,3 etc does it reach a certain number and it gives you a special power or finishing move or something ? I missed that part in the tutorial

Style meter determines when your amps activate. Epic amps come into effect at style level 3. The others are active at style level 2.

BondFancy

Just qued the downloads for the day one edition, gonna get dinner while I wait for it. Haven't seen much about this game so I'm going in fairly blind, all I know is the reviews sounded great!

Finished the last story mission.

This game has been just a joy to play from start to finish. The traversal is tight and rewarding, combat is chaotic with a ton of weapon variety, and the world of Sunset is a place I just love to play around in.

I thought the humor was mostly on point, with only a couple of misses. The quest missions were great not because of the design of the quests themselves (which were a bit fetch-questy early on but improved deeper into the game)but because of the quality writing for each individual quest. Seriously, there's some funny shit there (Fizzie's Inside Story anyone?) and it kept me motivated to play each new quest as soon as one unlocked.

My only gripe is that the game can be glitchy. A few times I had missions break and not allow me to continue, forcing me to abandon it and start all over again. Also, the amount of pop-in while traversing distracts from what is otherwise a gorgeous looking game.

Congrats Insomniac. You're a developer I've always been fond of and it makes me happy to see you guys deliver. I hope the game sells well because SO deserves a sequel.

And now for some Chaos Squad....

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Just finished the game (main and side missions) in 15 hours, I want more of it. :(

This is, by far, the best game I've played this year bar none. Hell, it's probably my favorite next gen game so far. Loved it from start to finish. The look, the gameplay mechanics, the humor, the weapons, the enemies, all of it.

VanWinkle

Just finished the game (main and side missions) in 15 hours, I want more of it. :(

This is, by far, the best game I've played this year bar none. Hell, it's probably my favorite next gen game so far. Loved it from start to finish. The look, the gameplay mechanics, the humor, the weapons, the enemies, all of it.

I'm only like four hours in and I agree with you.

Wollveren

Banned
I just started the game because it came out late in UK (wtf). Anyways all I can say is the game is FANTASTIC. I won't even comment on the missions etc...

I just want to focus on the traversal and gunplay of the game. It's BEYOND fun. I've never had this much fun when it comes to moving around a game world.

It was all working great, then air dash was just the perfect addition to a great traversal system. I just love how many options there are, bouncing to grinding to air dashing to wall running. I even love that to get that starting bounce I don't even need to jump on something, just a ground smash and jump and WOOSH, higher than a normal bounce.

Just great job insomniac! I wonder how this will affect their future games, maybe something similar in Ratchet and Clank?

So much fun, 4 hours in and I've managed to collect most of the Fizzo heads and spray boards on the first island. I just need to scrap the cash to buy the rest of the maps to clear that island.

Murray97

So much fun, 4 hours in and I've managed to collect most of the Fizzo heads and spray boards on the first island. I just need to scrap the cash to buy the rest of the maps to clear that island.

I'm guessing you haven't unlocked air dash yet then? I'd highly recommend just playing story until you unlock it as it makes the game way more fun.

I'm guessing you haven't unlocked air dash yet then? I'd highly recommend just playing story until you unlock it as it makes the game way more fun.

I just got the double bounce after doing the mission for
the crazy TV guy.

I am doing the story, I'm just trying not to rush through and crack on with the side activities.

Kssio_Aug

I'm at the mission that you need to
save 4Kim.

1-How far I am in the story mode?

2-I tried multiple times but could not destroy the target in time. Wich weapon is the one recommended for this?
Edit: About this one, I was able to do it with the pistol (much easier then with the fire works).

Thanks!

By the way, now that I have the air dash and am used to the controls, this game has become awesome!!

Hubble

The soda machines have cans too FYI you can destroy.

Complete GOTY for me. The game is just so much fun to play. Getting to point A to B with all the different traversal mechanics you unlock is a charm and you travel very quickly. All of the little things in the game add up to GOTY. The amps are so creative like the one that has flames on the side when you're grinding, the weapons variety is amazing from the freeze bomb to the gas canister. With all the types of enemies, the effects from all of the different weapons are so cool. I did not even know the game had traps. Laying traps are so fun when defending your forts. How you can upgrade forts are cool too. The island and characters look like there from Disney. I went all the way up on the power plant just to marvel at the city and style.

Top Bottom