• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

FeD.nL

I just really love the humor in the game, got a smile on my face every second I've been playing it. Just did chaos squad for the first time, was a really fun experience, can't wait to get into it some more.

Are there already some GAF games going on? My GT is: fed 989 if anyone wants to group up :)

JLeack

Banned
I'm still in love with this game after 25 hours. I sometimes spent 30+ minutes just traveling around pulling off twitch shots midair. Dig it.

V_Ben

Banned
Man, this game is so fun to play. I'm about 6/7 hours in, how long would people say the story is? I'll probably just keep exploring the world after, it's so fun to move around it.

Haines

Banned
I've only played for about an hour and a half but its not grabbing me... I'm just not having fun playing it. Its a shame because I was very hyped for it but I just can't get into it.

I love Ratchet and Clank and wacky weapons too. I don't know what my problem is with this.

It takes longer BC you need the game to introduce its systems for it to really feel complete and grab you.

eshwaaz

Absolutely love this game. I just wish weapons were not so expensive. I know they want you to have to make some choices, but there are several weapons I really want to try and can't afford any of them. What's the best way to earn Overdrive?

Absolutely love this game. I just wish weapons were not so expensive. I know they want you to have to make some choices, but there are several weapons I really want to try and can't afford any of them. What's the best way to earn Overdrive?

Side missions give a ton of overdrive. You should have enough by playing all quests, story or side, to buy all but one or two of the weapons by the end of the campaign.

eshwaaz

Side missions give a ton of overdrive. You should have enough by playing all quests, story or side, to buy all but one or two of the weapons by the end of the campaign.
Ah, okay. I've not been doing a ton of side missions yet - been focusing on mostly collectibles inbetween main missions. Thanks for the advice.

Grisby

Bardcam. That was a good mission. I need the soundtrack stat for that part.

Also, kinda neat that Dalton's VA from Fuse is in here.

JLeack

Banned
Felt a bit indifferent at first but after a couple of hours I'm really enjoying it, it flows really well once you get upgrades and so on. Insominac did a great job with this game , here is my character

image.jpg

Dude. I'm stealing your setup.

That's the best character I've seen.

Dat end boss battle doh. So good.

Love the
Neogaf
shout out.

Isn't that a spoiler? I don't mind since I already beat it, but just saying. When I heard it during my time reviewing the game it topped off the experience so well. I also loved the
GameFAQs
reference.

Can you change your character's appearance again after the initial two customization screens? I mean after they give you a second chance when you get to your apartment.

Isn't that a spoiler? I don't mind since I already beat it, but just saying. When I heard it during my time reviewing the game it topped off the experience so well. I also loved the GameFAQs reference.
Ah sorry. Assumed it wasn't cause someone posted it here already. I'll cover it up tho.

Isn't that a spoiler? I don't mind since I already beat it, but just saying. When I heard it during my time reviewing the game it topped off the experience so well. I also loved the
GameFAQs
reference.

We can only dream of natively taken screenshots until 2015.

Still can't believe they didn't have it ready for this game. Instead they focused on crap like DLNA and MKV support.

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to capture an image of something awesome....

I'm so bitterly angry...

DLNA and MKV support is not crap. It's rather great, but it's not as important of a feature as screen caps. Do like me and just get a capture card. You can do way more with one anyways than what the PS4 and X1 offer.

Definitely liking the grinding more than I expected I would. Kind of sad I couldn't take screenshots (yeah, first time really using my xbox one since getting it in March).

Kept looking for a quit game button too. Gonna take awhile to adjust to newness.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Haven't had a chance to post in this thread yet but I just wanted to say how awesome this game is. Congrats to Insomniac on their efforts here, it seems like you guys really ended up making the game you envisioned and nailing it.

I don't know how far I am into the story (I just go to the
Fargarths
) but I love everything so far. Some of the side quests are just as good as the main missions. Fizzie: Inside Story was freaking hilarious especially the
focus group
. The girl who did the female voice really did a great job as well.

Also a shoutout to the animation team, some really great stuff there. Even some of the idle animations have a lot of character.

I was a honestly surprised at how epic the boss battles have been, I kind of wasn't expecting that. So much fun.

I also need to agree with everyone that the air dash is a game changer. I wasn't that great with the traversal at first but there came a point when I was chasing the
dragon
and I made a wrong turn and he ended up way in front of me and I managed to catch up by dashing, grinding, wall running and bouncing so effortlessly that I actually surprised myself. Such a great feeling.

I don't tend to buy a lot of DLC but I'll be picking up a season's pass at some point.

To explain how much I love this game, I was getting really bad motion sickness the first couple of sessions (which usually only happens with FPSes but 3rd person games with a lot of camera movement like this can trigger it too) but I ended up taking some anti-nausea pills so I could keep playing a little longer :p Luckily the last couple of times I've played it hasn't come back so either I'm getting better at not swinging the camera so much or my brain has gotten used to it.

Just finished the last story mission and I have to say that this is definitely the best game I've played all year. I'm almost certain that it will be my GOTY(excluding remasters).

The traversal system, art style, world, mission design, weapons and even the humor are all brilliant. The music won't be to everyone's taste, but there was definitely a few tracks that I really liked. The game just has so much charm to it and
the Neogaf line
is just one of the many examples of how amusing the game can be at times.

You can definitely tell that this made by a team that loves video games just as much as we do and it's so refreshing to play such a unique and stylish game to break the monotony of all the dull AAA releases on the XB1/PS4 so far this year.

There were so many great story moments
leech/drug mission and when you get the sword just to name a few.
and even a few cool characters,
namely Fizzie and the Role players.
Trying to get the The Floor is Lava achievement is one of the most thrilling challenges I've had in a game recently.
Chain together 100 traversal moves without stopping or touching the floor.
And I'm sure that the time I spend with this won't stop here. I still haven't played Chaos mode, I have a ton of side missions to do and a lot of challenges to gold.

Anyone who owns an XB1 or is an Insomniac fan owes it to them self to pick up this game. Insomniac has truly crafted a winner. I hope they get the sales they deserve.

Honestly, I thought the game would be decent, but I didn't think it would be this good with all the negativity towards the controls and Insomniac's recent track record. I'm glad to say Jsteve and the rest of Insomniac have proven me wrong.
I might even buy the season pass for this and I almost never buy DLC much less season passes. The game is like the perfect blend of Crackdown and JSRF that you've always wanted with a touch of that good ol' Insomniac humor.
Now time for Chaos mode!

Btw can someone tell me what the gamefaqs line was? I think I missed it.

ohlawd

some kinda glitch with captives?

the Y prompt disappeared when I got close to the cage and I can't trigger it again. I've cleared the area of hostiles.

webkatt

I noticed that when you save your outfit it saves everything except for body type/gender.

I wish they would add something that let's you track what challenges you have completed though.

Just noticed today that those overdrive trucks that the ODs flip over to cause a spill can be searched. There's cases full of overdrive in em.

neurophd

I wish they would add something that let's you track what challenges you have completed though.
Agreed, mentioned this earlier in thread. It would be cool to have a Forza Horizon 2 rivals system for challenges, but I have no idea how difficult that would be to implement.

Seen a few people asking the best way to earn stuff. When designing the economy I tried to give a focus to each of the three main activities:
  • Mission = Good mix of cash and Overcharge
  • Quests = Primarily Overcharge
  • Challenges = Primarily Cash

If you do all Quests, Challenges, and Missions, you should end up with enough Overcharge to buy ALMOST all the weapons. You should be shy of getting the
Charge Beam
. For obvious reasons, as it is STUPID powerful =P

You will also have enough cash to buy MOST of the things in the store, but you'll definitely be short cash.

The remaining economic pressure at that point is beating challenges and playing Chaos Squad. There is also a weapon -- a personal favorite -- that can ONLY be earned from Chaos Squad so keep trying!

This might be my GOTY. Just visually stunning and feels so good to play. Just beat the campaign today and am going back for pickups and challenges.

Anyone having problems getting into a game? I've very poor internet but could play Halo, COD and Gears (cept 2 for some reason) on 360. When they announced dedicated servers at E3 I got so excited but multiple tries over the last few days gets me nothing.

VanWinkle

I wonder if Insomniac would consider adding some additional times of day. It feels like Sunset Overdrive should have a sunset time of day.

Top Bottom