• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

d00d3n

I got my copy (and my xbone) the day before yesterday. After having played for an hour or two, I am not really feeling it. Traversal seems gimped. You travel around the phone lines and kill enemies with bullet time, auto aim awesomeness, and it feels really great, but make one mistake and you end up on the ground with no easy way of getting back up. Enemies start swarming you and the experience just feels generally stressful and unpleasant.

Will the traversal improve with upgrades if I continue to play the main missions?

I got my copy (and my xbone) the day before yesterday. After having played for an hour or two, I am not really feeling it. Traversal seems gimped. You travel around the phone lines and kill enemies with bullet time, auto aim awesomeness, and it feels really great, but make one mistake and you end up on the ground with no easy way of getting back up. Enemies start swarming you and the experience just feels generally stressful and unpleasant.

Will the traversal improve with upgrades if I continue to play the main missions?

yep. a few hours in you'll get an ability called air dash that changes the game for the better according to a lot of folks.

You'll also get some amps that can help you take out the OD on the ground.

Also, you can "bounce" on cars and wall run. You should always have options for getting you back onto the power lines and away from the OD on the ground.

Yep it will greatly improve, just keep on playing. You will get a dive bomb that allows you to bounce pretty high without you landing on a bounceable object, a very useful air dash and the double jump. Also, remember to use your wall run ability.

Sushigod7

I've been up till 2-3am every night playing this I'm itching for more every morning when I wake up I haven't been this addicted to a game for a long time. Boss fights are super creative really loving every aspect of it so far. Got far enough now weapons are unlocking and I have plenty of cash to buy them too. Only thing that I can think of that would be cool is having it be night time and roaming the city with the lights etc. Also OD sneaking up on you in the dark.

d00d3n

yep. a few hours in you'll get an ability called air dash that changes the game for the better according to a lot of folks.

Yep it will greatly improve, just keep on playing. You will get a dive bomb that allows you to bounce pretty high without you landing on a bounceable object, a very useful air dash and the double jump. Also, remember to use your wall run ability.

Thanks, I guess I will focus on the main missions until I get those.

p3tran

Banned
I think this is my GOTY. Scratches a particular itch that nothing since JSRF has managed to scratch and is the most pure fun I've had all year on a game. The traversal is possibly the best in any open world game ever, the humor is always at least amusing and the game looks amazing. I haven't enjoyed an Insomniac game as much since Spyro Year of the Dragon and I haven't lost track of time playing a game in a long time.

dat bolded part!!

I mean, I have played most -if not all- games. I did hundreds of hours of titanfall, forza/horizon, games I thoroughly enjoy the hell out of, but with those games I always have my internal time clock working.
I can estimate precisely (like +-10 minutes) if my current session is 30 mins, 1 hour or 3.

well, not with this fuckin' thing!
I think "I'm just starting", and hey, 1 hour 30 minutes already gone?
I think "fuck, its getting close to midnight again" and its ..4a.m.
fuck this time-machine shit! seriously!!

blakep267

so far the fizzie missions have been the best IMO. the balloon boss fight, while it may have been easy I recorded it and just the sheer fluidity of movement, effects going on screen, no frame rate drops. it was a marvel to watch again

then the Fizzitussin had me dyin. I stopped there last night so I still gotta see what the deal was with the ninja girl

Sushigod7

I think this is my GOTY. Scratches a particular itch that nothing since JSRF has managed to scratch and is the most pure fun I've had all year on a game. The traversal is possibly the best in any open world game ever, the humor is always at least amusing and the game looks amazing. I haven't enjoyed an Insomniac game as much since Spyro Year of the Dragon and I haven't lost track of time playing a game in a long time.

dat bolded part!!

I mean, I have played most -if not all- games. I did hundreds of hours of titanfall, forza/horizon, games I thoroughly enjoy the hell out of, but with those games I always have my internal time clock working.
I can estimate precisely (like +-10 minutes) if my current session is 30 mins, 1 hour or 3.

well, not with this fuckin' thing!
I think "I'm just starting", and hey, 1 hour 30 minutes already gone?
I think "fuck, its getting close to midnight again" and its ..4a.m.
fuck this time-machine shit! seriously!!

You guys are 100% spot on there is no time when this game gets rolling its the reason I can't sleep at night haha

Dazzyman

The traversing has clicked for me now (yet to get air dash) and turning into my GOTY. I just wish I didn't have to keep taking breaks due to motion sickness :( doesn't help that I've just had my flu jab and that's having side affects of temperature. Typical as the wife's away for a few days and I was planning on playing this all the time.

Any tips for motion sickness? I am on some very strong anti vomit pills anyway for my MS.

RulkezX

So yeah , being a jaded old **** I was apprehensive going into this , but the game is gorgeous and so much fun. Well done Insomniac.

It appears I've lost my melee weapon , do they break ?

Does anyone else think the atmosphere in this game is similar to "Bully"?
There's even a background song (while roaming around the city) that reminds me of Rockstar's best game.

Sushigod7

So yeah , being a jaded old **** I was apprehensive going into this , but the game is gorgeous and so much fun. Well done Insomniac.

It appears I've lost my melee weapon , do they break ?

I don't think so did you accidentally unequip in customization? Not even sure if thats possible.

This game is freaking gorgeous. Particle effects, shadow quality, the beautiful lighting...so damn good.

If you haven't tried Chaos Squad yet, you're in for a real treat. The on screen action/particles/enemies/explosions is MADNESS. I was in awe of how insane it gets at the end.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Man this game is not easy. At least for me. Took me long time and lot of dying getting to that damn building. And this is still just the beginning of the game. I am talking about the mission after I rescued that stupid robot dog.

Anyways, its still ton of fun. My problem is, I am not playing lot of this so next time when I turn it on, its hard for me to grasp the control. You have to keep playing to master the moments and controls, I love that about this game.

I can't remember a game that is as much fun as this in regards to finding collectibles...

Crackdown maybe... But I think this is Better than that... I'm glad they let you buy maps anyways.

waveking

Banned
So I want to get that amp which creates nuclear explosions. It says that it costs 35 Fizzie Balloons. Does that mean I have to get the number of Balloons I have collected to 35 OR does the amp specifically cost 35 balloons? Kinda dumb question :/

Swangod

Neo Member
Man this game is not easy. At least for me. Took me long time and lot of dying getting to that damn building. And this is still just the beginning of the game. I am talking about the mission after I rescued that stupid robot dog.

Anyways, its still ton of fun. My problem is, I am not playing lot of this so next time when I turn it on, its hard for me to grasp the control. You have to keep playing to master the moments and controls, I love that about this game.

I think the more you play the quicker you adjust. I still have a short learning curve every time I start (and I still have more learning to do in trying to incorporate traps in my arsenal). I'm a little like you as in I've only played a few hours for 3 nights this week after work. I think, as few others have said, make sure to use your wall run it helps to continue your streak. Air Glide is also a great boost (just unlocked it last night).

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This game is freaking gorgeous. Particle effects, shadow quality, the beautiful lighting...so damn good.

yeah. its hard to appreciate how good it looks with how far pulled back the camera is, but when you restart mid game and the character pushes the camera back, you can really appreciate all the details. its not just the cutscenes where they look spectacular. the visuals are quite amazing.

JLeack

Banned

Sorry if it seems like I'm bragging, but I found the game too easy. I only died twice during the entire campaign.

Basically, I wish there was a difficulty slider. It could have benefited greatly from it.

Think I have come to the conclusion that I only truly enjoy the challenges which is a rarity for me. I can only handle everything else (story, or anything involving OD) in short bursts. I think the feel of the gunplay has something to do with this. I always feel that ilthe weight of the bullets that are shot are "heavy" or the time it takes for one to shoot out after i hit the right trigger lags. Something feels off to me about it. On top of not feeling somewhat incentivized to try new play styles, i begin to resort to the same old grind, bounce, shoot and hold the left bumper because i feel i am expected to "switch it up". Very hard to explain.

I do wish I could floor slide like in Destiny. Especially when I'm in a base.

;D

RulkezX

I just watched a Sunstet TV thing in game, it talked about community and personal challenges, but I can't find these in game ?

eshwaaz

Agreed, it's such a great looking game. Sometimes there's so much wonderful eye candy going on I can't believe what I'm seeing. The only distracting blemish for me is some pretty aggressive pop-in, which is unfortunate. Still, for Insomniac's first effort on new hardware on an engine that was never meant for open world games, it's really impressive. So pleased with this game!

c0Zm1c

Never rely on Amazon UK for release day delivery. I've been let down a lot by them.

Shopto on the other hand got me Sunset Overdrive a day early.
I stopped using Shopto after a late delivery and reading that others were starting to get their games late. I got Forza Horizon 2 from Amazon on the day of release, so I figured they had improved since I stopped using them for games releases years ago. I guess I was wrong, and got lucky that time. I'm going to order Master Chief Collection from Simply Games since the price is the same as Amazon.

bryanee

I hate and I mean I hate defending the Vats. Stuff like this really annoys the shit out of me and sucks all the enjoyment out of the gameplay,

I seriously lost it when in the Troop Bushido mission where you find
Bryllcream in the garbage truck just chilling there with no arms and legs and your character only goes "Uh..."

Have never laughed so much in a single game ever.

Orca

I seriously lost it when in the Troop Bushido mission where you find
Bryllcream in the garbage truck just chilling there with no arms and legs and your character only goes "Uh..."

Have never laughed so much in a single game ever.

It gets better
[weirder] when you find out he ate his arms and legs to stay alive.

I wish the challenge icons on the map changed color when you complete them.
Would be easier to know which challenges you still have to do.

Love all the tv shows references as well

I giggled like a school girl at the arrested development reference

Strider

Just beat the main story. Fantastic game and ending. My time played is right at 11 hours right now. I haven't done many of the side stories so far so there's still a bunch of stuff left to do plus chaos squad. Think I'm gonna go do that Fizzie quest everyone keeps mentioning...

I wish the challenge icons on the map changed color when you complete them.
Would be easier to know which challenges you still have to do.

I just realized via the start menu you can access every challenge in the game and see if you have done them, leader board scores, and fast travel to any of them via the start menu.

Awesome sauce.

TEJ

I don't have an xbox one yet but when I do get one this will be on my list of games to buy.

I mean, a bright colorful fps that doesn't take itself too seriously? I'm totally down for something like this.

ekim

I have 15 hours on my clock and just got the last faction. How much is left in the main story? I don't want this to end. I can't remember a game I have played so long in such a short time. Not even Fh2 managed this.

Top Bottom