• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Grisby

Got that weapon amp that has a small chance to drop nukes.

DyczmPv.gif

It gets better
[weirder] when you find out he ate his arms and legs to stay alive.
A true survivalist.

Teggy

If anyone is curious about playtime, I finished the story today with about 27 hours played (had to subtract a little for MP). This is with 100% collectibles and side missions, but only about 75% of the challenges attempted (I just went for the 30 silvers). I finished with 740 achievement points, I believe.

I posted my thoughts on another site, might as well cross post them here. Short story, it's not a perfect game, but I really enjoyed it and I'll be buying the season pass.

I really enjoyed the game, but I thought there were plusses and minuses in every category (no spoilers).

Gameplay - I loved the traversal and that's a lot of what made the game fun. Running in the game is actually painfully slow, which I assume they did on purpose. String together long runs with grinding, bouncing, wall running and air dashing is very satisfying and they littered the world with so many things to use that is was very easy to keep moving and get across the world quickly. On the other hand, the places that traversal was used effectively in missions were few and far between. Many missions were "kill everything" missions, and while you need to use traversal effectively to keep your style level up (and survive), what I really wanted were chances to prove mastery of the traversal system with platforming challenges. The timed traversal challenges were a welcome addition, but I would prefer non-timed platforming requiring you to use all the skills to make it to a hard to reach area. Insomniac has done this so well in their platformers, I was hoping there would be more of it here.

Collectibles - an extension of gameplay, really. I think they could have done a lot better here. Insomniac platformers in the past offered a lot more challenge and a lot more reward for collectibles. Also, while you could get hints to help you with finding they collectibles, they never just flat out gave you a map. Way too many collectibles with very little reward. and that includes the reward of just being challenged in collecting them. This is especially for the non-currency collectibles.

Story and dialogue - the story was sufficient for the setting and feel, but really nothing special. I actually enjoyed a lot of the dialogue. There were a lot of pop-culture references and fourth-wall breaking that made me laugh. They may not hold up in the future, but they work now. As I mentioned before, I also really liked the female voice - she had great delivery, was very likable, and fit the character well. A lot of the other characters had their moments too. Where I thought they dropped the ball was on the over-reliance on "haha they're nerds" jokes and the incredible amount of swearing. Yes, it's an M rated game, but sometimes less in more.

Weapons - the weapons were a lot of fun, especially in combination with amps and overdrives. and there are a ton of them. I only maxed 5 weapons during the game, and that was with consciously switching off. After finishing I swapped out pretty much my entire inventory to work on other weapons (I focused on single shot weapons during my play through and switched to automatics) and I still haven't purchased all the weapons yet. On the negative side, they didn't really differentiate between each weapon as well as they could. Something notable about the Ratchet and Clank series and the first Resistance is that each weapon has a purpose. You'll have a long distance weapon, a weapon that's good at killing multiple enemies, but only up close, a high powered weapon with limited ammo, etc. In this game there seemed to be a lot of the same weapon type with slightly different effects. For example, the fireworks gun, the teddybear gun, and the hairspray bomb all do kind of the same thing with some minor differences. Same for the taunt bot and turret copter. It was nice having all the guns, but it was rare that I felt I needed to use one specific gun in a certain situation. Overall though, the weapons are great and this is more of a comparison to thing Insomniac has done a little better in the past.

The MP is fun as well and is worth a try. It gives nice rewards for a well co-ordinated group (although that can be a challenge with randoms).

Overall I really enjoyed the game. I don't know if it will be my GOTY, but I have no problem recommending it, especially if you like chaotic shooters, games that don't take themselves seriously and 3D platforming.

Orca

I hate and I mean I hate defending the Vats. Stuff like this really annoys the shit out of me and sucks all the enjoyment out of the gameplay,

I like it. I use the fire traps at each entrance, then just grind between them throwing down teddybears and reactivating as needed.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the writing in this is fantastic. its funny, the one liners that were in pre-release material is like, the worst of the games humor. there is so much great dialogue though between the main character and various other NPCs. floyd, the mad scientist, is just fantastic.

here is a couple of great scenes i loved (fairly early on, "The Oxfords")
you suck at friends Sam
ahhhhh. fuck thats good.

arhra

so far the fizzie missions have been the best IMO. the balloon boss fight, while it may have been easy I recorded it and just the sheer fluidity of movement, effects going on screen, no frame rate drops. it was a marvel to watch again

then the Fizzitussin had me dyin. I stopped there last night so I still gotta see what the deal was with the ninja girl

Have you done the Fizzie sidequest that shows up after the boss fight yet?

Because if not, stop whatever you're doing and go do it. Right now.

Daigoro

Traversal Challenges make me want to wet myself with glee!

there should be more of them. one of the best things in the game.

the one glaring flaw that i can find with this game is slow restarts. challenges, story missions, etcetera. i want to restart and do it quickly. i do not want to watch a cutscene or view the leaderboards 100 times when im trying to perfect something like a challenge. i do not want to watch the intro to a story challenge 20 times if i failed the section the first time (like the stupid pigeon part).

quick restarts and skippable intro/cutscenes. gotta have em.

Really really enjoying this. Took a little bit of time for it to click but once it did I'm really having a good time. What's the best way to get new weapon amps? Also the suspend resume feature on Xbox is awesome! Love being able to pick up immediately where I left off without a moments downtime

arhra

Where do we go for this chain? Where in the city exactly?

It's pretty close to where the boss fight was. I think it was called "Fizzie: the Inside Story", or something similar. Should be on your map if you've done the boss.

Sobriquet

Okay I wait for a patch.
Every time I load my save, use fast travel, go into multiplayer, etc (so after every loading screen) I lose 50 % of my ammo for every weapon. What the fuck is this?

For example: I have 10 rounds left in my shotgun, go to shop, buy ammo (52 rounds - full), go into multiplayer/ use fast travel: 26 rounds after loading screen.

Nice.

I think losing half of your ammo is the penalty for fast travel.

sora87

Some of these enemies are really annoying, I hate not seeing a freeze ball those ice cone twats have put on a rail or something and getting thrown off. For a game that prides itself on momentum and traversal they sure throw a lot of shit at you to break it.

jesu

So Chaos Squad is ace but how does the scoring work?
I came last(as usual) in some rounds but with way more kills than the guy in 7th.
Like 53 to 3.
Came seventh overall after the final mission, which was nice.

So Chaos Squad is ace but how does the scoring work?
I came last(as usual) in some rounds but with way more kills than the guy in 7th.
Like 53 to 3.
Came seventh overall after the final mission, which was nice.

Pretty sure it's based on completing tasks as well as kills, but I'm not sure because I typically had first or second with that position of kills. But I typically completed most of the challenges too.

Playing online made me realize people don't have a clue what weapons to use during the defense ending. I'm almost always 100 kills ahead just because I'm using the right weapons on the OD. Incredibly annoying.

jesu

Pretty sure it's based on completing tasks as well as kills, but I'm not sure because I typically had first or second with that position of kills. But I typically completed most of the challenges too.

Playing online made me realize people don't have a clue what weapons to use during the defense ending. I'm almost always 100 kills ahead just because I'm using the right weapons on the OD. Incredibly annoying.

Right I'll pay more attention to the tasks.

And go easy on us not knowing what we're doing, I've barely played any of the campaign!
I get a decent amount of kills every round, so I'm happy with that :)

And go easy on us not knowing what we're doing, I've barely played any of the campaign!
I get a decent amount of kills every round, so I'm happy with that :)

I mean the campaign in the beginning explains the effective weapons against OD (specifically the disc launchers) and I never see anyone use those online, it's always AK-FU or the sprinklers or Dirty Harry.

Also it's so weird to actually not suck in an online game being able to complain about people sucking that aren't me is such a nice change of pace so sorry.

Grisby

Finally made it to the Downtown area. Framerate is noticeablely more iffy in this section but nothing game breaking. So many vertical buildings. It's wallrunning heaven.

Majine

Banned
Pretty impressed the game holds up the framerate as good as it does during Chaos Squad considering well, the name says it all.

abadguy

Banned
I can't afford this, I'm buying MCC but how is it? Best game for Next gen so far?

For me, yeah. ( i have yet to play Bayonetta 2 though)You just don't see games like this very often these days, that concentrate on sheer fun and gameplay as opposed to trying hard as fuck to be a movie.

I mean the campaign in the beginning explains the effective weapons against OD (specifically the disc launchers) and I never see anyone use those online, it's always AK-FU or the sprinklers or Dirty Harry.

Also it's so weird to actually not suck in an online game being able to complain about people sucking that aren't me is such a nice change of pace so sorry.

Well, the disc launchers do kind of suck. TNTeddy, the acid sprinklers, the cold bomb, and especially the hairspray thing (or the lightning gun!) are much better options for dealing with hordes.

JLeack

Banned
It's the best exlusive for XB1/PS4 so far IMO... But if we're gonna count Wii U definitely not.

You know what. I can totally see someone arguing this. Sunset Overdrive is fresh, full of energy, and fun as hell. That's the kind of stuff I like to see from a game in this day and age.

E92 M3

Played the game a lot more:

IT'S FUCKING FANTASTIC!

- I discovered playing as a female is a lot more fun. Similar to how I like the female characters in JSRF.
- Unfortunately music bothers me a lot; I wish it was more like the
first boss fight
. I think EDM and electronica goes better here.
- Part about the focus
group robots was hilarious on Insomniac's behalf mentioning Fuse.
- Challenges are hard - but I must just suck still.
- I wish there was a double jump; though air dash does the trick.

Should I buy weapons or wait to find them? I'm not sure if this game is more vendor or quest based.

jbug617

Banned
I'm playing a female I like the VA better than the male. Also the running commentary is not that bad. I thought it was going to be worse.

VinFTW

Exaclamuneeeeeeeeeeee!

sogood.gif

Fuck this game is good. I hope I can keep this
sword
. :( Too OP though, won't get my hopes up.

Well, the disc launchers do kind of suck. TNTeddy, the acid sprinklers, the cold bomb, and especially the hairspray thing (or the lightning gun!) are much better options for dealing with hordes.

TNTeddy doesn't have enough ammo, acid sprinklers are shoot and forget, not something you use as a main weapon. Never seen someone use the hairspray gun (nor do I own one went for the Roman Candle instead because colors) and the lightning gun isn't effective against OD really.

The disc launchers once you level them up kick ass against hordes of OD, they're the reason I lead in kills with missions involving OD. So much ammo, high rate of fire, and they bounce around taking out a ton of enemies without worrying about accuracy. Attach some explosive amps to them and they're probably my favorites in the game, from a functional standpoint.

Southside Jim

Neo Member
I know some folks have found the humor hit and miss, but I have to say it's hit a lot more than it's missed in my opinion. For some reason this line--
he's a genius...that got trapped in a hot dog factory
--made me laugh out loud, and continues to make me laugh out loud when I think about it.

Or maybe I just have the emotional maturity of a ten year-old.

MCD

Best Xbox One game for me. Best new IP even.

Game oozes so much classic fun it's just IN YOUR FACE AWESOME.

Thank you, Insomniac. Sadly, I have to put the game on hold because of BORING EXAMS. I hate this.

Harmen

Good to read that Insomniac finally has a fresh, good and promising ip! I was a bit worried about them to be honest, after FUSE and the Resistance 3 bomb (which was a pretty solid shooter).

Top Bottom