• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

TNTeddy doesn't have enough ammo, acid sprinklers are shoot and forget, not something you use as a main weapon. Never seen someone use the hairspray gun (nor do I own one went for the Roman Candle instead because colors) and the lightning gun isn't effective against OD really.

The disc launchers once you level them up kick ass against hordes of OD, they're the reason I lead in kills with missions involving OD. So much ammo, high rate of fire, and they bounce around taking out a ton of enemies without worrying about accuracy. Attach some explosive amps to them and they're probably my favorites in the game, from a functional standpoint.

TNTeddy has plenty of ammo with the "recover ammo" amp. Throw down all your deployables, then clean up.

BradC00

Wow, downtown chaos squad at 600%+ is rough. First group I was in that failed.

just did it at 1680 chaos...you need all the good weapons/amps and good teammates. focus on the little guys. the big guys and wingers will kill you, but the little ones are the ones that hit your overdrive vats.

i might have just got lucky tho.

speaking of which...1000g! took me 27 hours.

I think I'm stuck.

Am doing the AwesomeSmithing mission
to acquire a mighty sword
, and the first objective is to clear the area of Fizzco security. I've been destroying the unholy shit out of every robot the game has tossed my way for the past half hour or so - and they just keep coming in pairs of two. I destroy them, two more come.I destroy those, two more drop in, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and you get the picture.

Is there some hidden objective? I've certainly been taking out every enemy in the area, across all floors. I'm kindof used to the place and while I'm armed and dangerous enough to do this all day, I've kind of been doing this all day now.

Is my mission fubar'd in an endless loop? Or is there something I'm missing?

I think I'm stuck.

, and the first objective is to clear the area of Fizzco security. I've been destroying the unholy shit out of every robot the game has tossed my way for the past half hour or so - and they just keep coming in pairs of two. I destroy them, two more come.I destroy those, two more drop in, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and you get the picture.

Is there some hidden objective? I've certainly been taking out every enemy in the area, across all floors. I'm kindof used to the place and while I'm armed and dangerous enough to do this all day, I've kind of been doing this all day now.

It's fucked. Just happened to me. Die, start over, and it'll work. Maybe it's a edge of tomorrow reference?

;D

Teggy

It's fucked. Just happened to me. Die, start over, and it'll work. Maybe it's a edge of tomorrow reference?

;D

Yup, this happened to me as well, I just restarted it. Second time I made sure to stay at each floor until bots stopped spawning and then moved up. I was wondering if moving up floors too early messed it up.

Teggy

speaking of which...1000g! took me 27 hours.

Wow, that's crazy, when I finished around the same amount of time I was only 50% to the OD kills, only had 5 maxed weapons and only had like 25% of the vending machines (that one seemed strange in particular because of how many I purposely destroyed.)

Soda Mixer

Neo Member
This is definitely the most fun I've had with a game this year, which is saying something considering that Diablo, Forza Horizon 2, and Shadow of Mordor have all come out within the past couple months. So good that I'm trading my physical copy in at Best Buy tomorrow in favor of the digital deluxe edition--this is a game I want to be able to access regardless of what disc happens to be in the xbox at any given time.

One question: Is there a way to quit to the main menu? I've just been abandoning the current quest, pressing the guide button and quitting from the home screen, but I was wondering if there's a more elegant solution. Thanks!

ekim

Oh shit. Just found how to do another move that seemed to be random so far. When doing an under grind, press x and while transitioning, press a to jump. Traversal just got better.

Strider

HOLY SHIIIIT night defense in chaos squad is AMAZING. Take the boring missions like the supply drop quests out and just give us more crazy one's like that.

Lynn616

Hard to get playtime when my two daughters love this game as much as I do.

The visuals are great. Especially for an open world game. I really want a real world Overcharge Delirium XT Can now. Great game.

jesu

Watching some COD Advance Warfare videos and getting distracted by stair cases and thinking about grinding up them!

Lucent

Exaclamuneeeeeeeeeeee!

sogood.gif

Fuck this game is good. I hope I can keep this
sword
. :( Too OP though, won't get my hopes up.

I knew when I got it that I'd get to
keep the sword but it would be neutered. No way they'd let you keep something that powerful. Just something you learn from other games. lol =(

VinFTW

So, just completed the game. Haven't touched most of the side quests and Chaos Squad but I can't WAIT to dive into them later with a case of beer.

I can safely say that this is the best Insomniac game I've played since Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction.

Wow. Dat ending...

BraXzy

I finally started the game!

I've not got very far through it yet, only really the first few missions but I'm really liking it so far. It's so beautifully colourful, I love the visuals! I haven't had an issue with the humour yet, I like the silly jokes and fourth wall breaking stuff so far but I bet it can get annoying. Oh all of the little VFX pop ups from stuff like certai enemy death animations/hitting the floor and getting "POP" "Krack" and stuff come up is so so cool. I really like that stuff.

Lmao an idle animation just played of my character gesturing at me and urging me to do something.

Traversal is great, it hasn't really clicked for me yet though. I am more mashing buttons than carefully controlling at the moment. I feel obliged to keep my combo going constantly.. I should probably worry about it less and play more naturally.

Any tips on traversal for someone new?

Bread

Banned
This is the love child of Crackdown and JSR that I never knew I wanted. I'm at work counting the minutes until I can play it again.

Finished it a couple of hours ago.

What a great game, all the way through, everything fits together so well.

Insomniac at their best, now give me a sequel dammit.

Judging by part of the ending, it won't feature Sunset City either? With all the helicopters flying the Overcharge away

BondFancy

Can anyone answer this question (spoilers)

That Excalibur knock off is incredible, is there anyway to keep its incredible abilities later on?

ohlawd

Where the fuck is the controller in the train station

had to mute the game because this robotic voice was being annoying

edit: fucking found it argh my ears

Majine

Banned
Got that weapon amp that has a small chance to drop nukes.

DyczmPv.gif

A true survivalist.

I think I saw that in a Chaos Squad match. Incredible.

Toki767

About 1/4 through the game so far I think. The game starts off kind of slow. Not really having a ton of fun with it yet, but the traversal and weapons are definitely cool. Hopefully things pick up.

B-Dex

About 1/4 through the game so far I think. The game starts off kind of slow. Not really having a ton of fun with it yet, but the traversal and weapons are definitely cool. Hopefully things pick up.

Do main story missions until you get air dash. Then it will click. At least that's when it did for me.

Nodnol

Man I was having a blast jumping, grinding and wall-running. Everything felt smooth and awesome.

Now I've unlocked the air-dash, it's like I've reached a whole different level. Everyone has commented on its effect on the game, but I was pessimistic simply because I was having a blast anyway, and was sceptical about how much of an impact it could have.

Goddamn it's awesome!

Just done the
the train level, chasing after 4kim, and that shit was hectic and crazy.

Some of the side-quests are brilliant; some of the best moments or dialogue so far have come from those!

sangreal

I think I'm stuck.

;D

Yup, this happened to me as well, I just restarted it. Second time I made sure to stay at each floor until bots stopped spawning and then moved up. I was wondering if moving up floors too early messed it up.

OK, aborting and retrying. Hopefully that works.

Yup happened to me too

YESYESYESYES
YES

SUCH an exhilarating ending. Just finished.

THIS CREDITS SONG IS FUCKING PERFECT

ROCK ON FOREVER SUNSET OVERDRIVE

ROCK ON FORFUCKINGEVER

;D

Well, replaying the mission did help, as the second time went off without a hitch. Guess it failed to spawn one of the robo minibosses so it was just an endless loop of grunt robos. I probably just should have left the area to cause the mission to fail and revert to the last checkpoint. Aborting the mission means you lose out on any progress and have to go back to the quest giver and start over. Lesson learned.

I know the difference now because I had the same scripting issue two missions later, where I'm, uhh, feeding 99 things and stuff. I finished number 99 and nothing happened. Had to revert to checkpoint and do it all over again. Could have been worse for sure, but its a little troubling.

Also had my first fall through the world - so I guess it can happen for me ;p
Recorded it here, for science: http://www.xboxclips.com/video.php?uid=2753763522166885&gamertag=Nullpointer256&vid=911b6a0a-08b2-4a8e-9605-a6e288770f5e

I die at the end there, but just sort of bloop back into existence and then fall through the world again. After that I got the full on respawn treatment on the street outside and all was good from then on out.

Still, three bugs in one session made me put it down for the day. All glitches aside though I've been loving every bit of this game. OK, not quite so much with the solo night defense stuff, but it definitely flexes your game skill muscles so maybe they'll grow on me.

BraXzy

I'm getting more used the traversal.. I hardly ever wall run though. I always forget it's a thing, and when I do remember to do it, it usually messes up my flow and I fall off/jump off it without meaning to. I pretty much just grind and jump :L

Has anyone posted tips in the thread for traversing in the game?

I just finished all of the main story missions, and did at least two Challenges and Quests.

This game is such a freaking blast! Easily one of the best games I've played in the last few years...or possible ever! It's just so much fun! Traversal and combat just feel so good together. Oh, and it's hilarious, too!
That NeoGAF shout out gave me a good hard laugh, and so did the "drug" scene,
though there were plenty of other laughs to be had.

Game of the year so far for me. I doubt that anything might top it...though, I haven't played Bayonetta 2 yet.

I think I'll finally try some Chaos Squad later tonight now that I got a lot of stuff.

Anyway, here's my character:

Sorry about the quality, they're all just screencaps from videos I made. There are some more here: http://kdash31987.minus.com/mBaw4cG6V3k3O

Speaking of videos, I have some of mine up on YouTube, but there are more on my Xbox profile. Some of them have some spoilers, though, so you probably shouldn't watch them if you haven't played through the game yet.

E92 M3

I'm getting more used the traversal.. I hardly ever wall run though. I always forget it's a thing, and when I do remember to do it, it usually messes up my flow and I fall off/jump off it without meaning to. I pretty much just grind and jump :L

Has anyone posted tips in the thread for traversing in the game?

The wall running is actually very good in this game - you won't fall off and can run infinitely for most buildings.

rcl66

Can you go do the side missions still once you finish the main story? I'm cruising through doing the main story missions and want to come back to misc afterwards. Assuming you can?

Top Bottom