• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Doffen

I finished the main campaign in 12 hours.

Then I realised I still have dozens of side quests, 50+ challenges and 100's of collectibles to go after.

z6f52zg.gif

FTFY.

I can't shake off the feeling that there's something wrong with the audio in the game. It feels so quiet... Like there's music when you get your combo going but other than that, there's actual dead air which feels really weird and jarring.

Dynamic music, bro. Stop being boring.

Megasoum

Banned
Like... I'm doing the mission where
I smash ODs with the crane wrecking ball. I've been crushing ODs for a couple of minutes now and there's zero music.
It feels fucking weird.

ViciousDS

Banned
Finished the game. What a ride... That last mission was a bit too easy though... but lol at the neogaf mention.
GOTY candidate for me together with FH2.

no fucking way

btw....running the same combo and FH2 and SO........best gaming combo so far this year. So glad I picked up the white Xbox One bundle....no regrets...even got Ryse for free from Microsoft, loved playing co-op there.

Man what a great game. It took a little while for it to click for me, but I just got the air dash and now I feel like I'm flying around the city, a bit like that Crackdown rush when you start getting more powers and feel like the game world just opens up.

I just did the mission (probably pretty early) for the troop scouts
where you have to take down the fizzco rocket firing blimp thing
, which was awesome. ALTHOUGH, I did get a glitch that basically ruined the mission if it did not kill me. I was stuck in the same spot unable to move... Bouncing on a bouncy thing and the "ceiling" of the mission was locked right above where I was standing so I couldn't move and just had to wait for an enemy to kill me.

Here's a video of me trapped. Was stuck like this for a couple of minutes... Video has no spoilers really, it's just me caught on a bouncy pad, but it's during a mission in the game... so if you're really cautious about being spoiled, I guess don't watch it :)

BraXzy

Just sold the game and the X1 to a friend. He wouldn't stop playing, had to force the bastard to give up the controller and get the hell outta my house.

His comments when leaving - Sega need to let Insomniac make a new Jet Set Radio.

Anyway, captured some footage of his traversal and this is what he was pulling off a couple of hours after he started playing...

http://a.pomf.se/uylbfy.webm

I've been playing for damn near 10 hours so far and I still haven't fully mastered wall running and this guy pulls this shit off after just two hours with the game?

Goddamn, do I suck....

Damn. I played for a good few hours yesterday and I was nowhere near that in terms of wall running. Everything else I'm good with, I don't know why I just can't get used to the way wall runs work. I always end up pressing jump mid way through or hitting a grind instead of the wall :L

Anyone find the volume is low in this game? I have the sliders set to max in the options, but I need to turn the volume way up on my receiver too. Have to turn it back down again when I switch the Xbox to other functions.

Dominator

Played for about another 3 hours (total 4.5 so far), and I'm still not a fan. I'm glad I gave it a shot but I just can't get into it in the slightest.

I'm glad so many of you love it though. Thats nice to see.

Vico

No one knows for sure besides MS/Insomniac. Phil Spencer in a recent Major Nelson podcast did say sales are good, though. I just hope they are good enough for a sequel. I want new one every other year!

OK, cool. I hope we'll get clear numbers soon.

E92 M3

Just sold the game and the X1 to a friend. He wouldn't stop playing, had to force the bastard to give up the controller and get the hell outta my house.

His comments when leaving - Sega need to let Insomniac make a new Jet Set Radio.

Anyway, captured some footage of his traversal and this is what he was pulling off a couple of hours after he started playing...

http://a.pomf.se/uylbfy.webm

I've been playing for damn near 10 hours so far and I still haven't fully mastered wall running and this guy pulls this shit off after just two hours with the game?

Goddamn, do I suck....

Yes, game is great!

I just switched the gender of my character and the female voice is way better than he made voice.

Absolutely - the female character plus voice has made the game much better for me.

--

Does anyone know why the 3rd vat upgrade mission won't unlock/work? I'm standing near the part where you activate, but getting no prompts to start the mission.

JLeack

Banned
I finished the main campaign in 12 hours.

Then I realised I still have dozens of side quests, 50+ challenges and 100's of collectibles to go after.

d91.gif

I'm so shocked by how much content the game has despite being an open-world action game that came out a year into a new generation. Insomniac god-tier dev.

Damn. I played for a good few hours yesterday and I was nowhere near that in terms of wall running. Everything else I'm good with, I don't know why I just can't get used to the way wall runs work. I always end up pressing jump mid way through or hitting a grind instead of the wall :L

Right? I haven't been able to nail it at all and this guy comes out of nowhere and is pulling off those moves?

To say I was pissed would be an understatement...

OK, cool. I hope we'll get clear numbers soon.

We'll get an idea of how well it's sold in the UK tomorrow. I'm expecting a top five placement. Would be very surprised if it hits number 1.

Yes, game is great!

And damn hard to master fully.

Grisby

Just finished the (downtown area spoilers)
Excalibur mission. That thing was so awesome and 'forging' it was a trip.
Have a feeling I'm getting near the end but goddamn am I having a blast.
Thinking about getting the season pass, because the new areas entices me.
That's why I picked it up. I hope the new areas get the same love.

Ohhh?! Come play Chaos Squad with me after you get it! :D

Well...you should probably get some weapons, amps, traps, and stuff before you go play online though. Hah.

Oh, yeah, I should try out Chaos Squad. I still haven't played it.

Okies. Play it so one of us know what we're doing. lol

Oh, and I'll have it Tuesday night, so let's play <3

ekim

Question about a weapon:
any idea if there is a possibility that I can back the sword with all its buffs from the mission? Is there a weapon challenge with this?

KdylanR92

Anybody else surprised the side-quests are actually good in this game? i liked the comic book just because of the costume you get for completing it

I didn't really like Dead rising 3... Story was slow and kind of boring. Not enough direction in the single player to keep me going. Same issues with Second Son.

Do I get this game?

Question about a weapon:
any idea if there is a possibility that I can back the sword with all its buffs from the mission? Is there a weapon challenge with this?

There is a specific challenge with it yeah, which is nice because all of the effects it has are so awesome.

Ont

Somewhat unfair that we EU players have only 3 - 4 days to complete this Blower killing challenge.

This is why games should be released globally.

E92 M3

What do I need to do to activate the third VAT upgrade? Floyd keeps talking about it but there are no prompts at the base.

MCD

I didn't really like Dead rising 3... Story was slow and kind of boring. Not enough direction in the single player to keep me going. Same issues with Second Son.

Do I get this game?

Game is anything but slow. As someone who loathed the fetch quests in DR3, I say get it. Something about the fetch quests here just tells you to GO FETCH THEM DAMMIT.

And how you can always come back whenever you die in an instant is a blessing for someone who doesn't like open world games and not a fan of fetch quests in general.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Nearing the end, going through side missions now.

If you havent been doing those jump on them... I just unlocked the best trap in the game in one. Lolol.

neurophd

Game is anything but slow. As someone who loathed the fetch quests in DR3, I say get it. Something about the fetch quests here just tells you to GO FETCH THEM DAMMIT.

And how you can always come back whenever you die in an instant is a blessing for someone who doesn't like open world games and not a fan of fetch quests in general.
Agreed game is much better than Dead Rising 3.

XanaviF30

Just picked this up last night. Starting playing late. The game's hilarious, but it keeps crashing on me! It freezes and the dics drives starts to go mad. It kicks me out all the time, at around the same spot. I'm reinstalling the game as I type this. Hope this is the resolution...

Agreed game is much better than Dead Rising 3.

Pains me to say it, but DR3 ain't shit next to this game. Although they share nothing in common, so it's not really a fair comparison to be making. Neither is the Infamous one, but that's a debate that will be continue for some time...

MXRider

How can I reach this balloon? Ive tried the crane and I cant get on the hamburger.

Nevermind I found out how. For anyone else thats stuck there there are bouncy things on the side of the track that get you high enough.

Can anyone tell me an easy mission to replay to get a lot of overcharge easily?

Nevermind I found out how. For anyone else thats stuck there there are bouncy things on the side of the track that get you high enough.

Can anyone tell me an easy mission to replay to get a lot of overdrive easily?

I've gotten a lot of OD by scavenging the trucks that are littered around the city.

LoveCake

Had my first play of this today, it's ok, seems very much like inFAMOUS SS imo in it's design & gameplay mechanics.

The real issue i have is that i have had the game freeze about three times, i have the digital version with the white X1 console.

It just stops, all the action on screen just stops dead, the audio carries on but stutters & then the video starts to stutter along but very slowly, but also parts of the video/graphics disappear as the game stutters along, the only way i could get out of it was to press the 'X' button & quit the game & then start it up again.

Slightly worried about this now :/

Spacebar

I'm glad I didn't sell the code I got with the SO bundle. This game is really fun and a nice change of pace from what I normally play. I do wish this game had some kind of photo mode with all the beautiful colors in the game.

klodeckel

Banned
After 16 hours of gameplay I really need to say this now: this game has the most amazing particle effects I have ever seen in a game. Just beautiful.

VanWinkle

You know, I was really regretting my XB1 purchase for months. I had no desire to play or do anything on it. I would occasionally turn it on so I wouldn't feel like I'm completely neglecting it, start up a match of Titanfall because its my only retail game on it, realize I hate the game, and turn off the system. Thats essentially all the XB1 was to me for months and months.

This game right here has made me so happy I have the system. It is the best game I've played all year. And let me tell you, I was not even going to get it, as I hate games with a bunch of profanity in them (and this sure has loads of it). It wasnt until I heard James Stevenson mention that there's a profanity filter in the game that I allowed myself to get excited and hyped again. I'm so glad they did that, because I would have never thought of that since you never see that on games. I wish more games had a feature like that, honestly.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I literally lost it laughing at this game.

Late Side mission spoilers

Well what if I gave you a quest to get my quest marker back?

The game would fucking crash

In stitches.

Patroclos

Banned
Pains me to say it, but DR3 ain't shit next to this game. Although they share nothing in common, so it's not really a fair comparison to be making. Neither is the Infamous one, but that's a debate that will be continue for some time...

I think the comparison is fair and I also would say the game is better than both those games combined.

Top Bottom