• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

E92 M3

Yeah, should only be about 3-4 more max, maybe less. Hard to remember specifically because I mixed in side missions and challenges and all that good stuff too.

Thanks I appreciate it! I am also mixing everything together.

Just got the SO Bundle today and I'm installing the game now. Have not followed any news or media on this game. Can anyone describe the game briefly? From what little I've seen it looks like Infamous but more crazy.

Jet Set Radio Future + Crackdown is the perfect way of saying it.

Finished main story. Easy GOTY. Joy to look at and play. Congratulations Insomniac, really hit it out of the park.

I'm working on the last few side quests and starting challenges. Ran into a glitch of sorts where two side missions that used the same area were conflicting with each other. I've actually run into quite a few minor glitches. Spawning issues, the fact it says I have new amps in the menu even though I don't (been there the whole game lol), visual glitches with outfits, but none of them are more than minor and nothing ever seems to break.

I really love that you can pick up/suspend missions on the go without loosing mission progress. Not sure it would work for more story focused games but for SO its fantastic. I definitely want them to keep this if there is a sequel.

Got to the giant fizzie balloon mission. Damn amazing.

Those comments!
Oh and I'd like to take a moment to commend Insomniac for having a great variety of mission types in the game. The core mechanics are always there but they aren't afraid to introduce new mechanics even if it is just for a single mission. The side missions get a bit more repetitive at times (though there were good unique ones there too) but I never felt like the game was lacking variety. The fact you can pick up missions where you left off helps this too. If the next marker is too far and you get distracted into another mission you can just pick the first misison back up where you left off later on.

So, looking to do something, anything to distract myself from my ennui now that I've finished up the main story, I booted up Ryse, which I bought a while ago but never beat. Am I crazy, or does SSOD look better? Ryse hits better technical highs, but there's also bits that look much worse (hair). SSOD has a much more consistent look and, IMO, better particle effects. It's nuts.

E92 M3

I can't wait for the DLC, I hope it's meaty like Borderlands

Same here! I REALLY hope it's meaty. Need Sunset in my gaming life. I feel like this game was made perfectly for my taste. (I'm sure most of you feel like that too)

FOR ANY INSOMNIAC FOLKS READING:

You did a fucking fantastic job with this game - absolutely knocked it out of the park.

VinFTW

Same here! I REALLY hope it's meaty. Need Sunset in my gaming life. I feel like this game was made perfectly for my taste. (I'm sure most of you feel like that too)

You did a fucking fantastic job with this game - absolutely knocked it out of the park.

Agreed. On the DLC and park-knocking.

Animator

Almost bought the xbox bundle for this game today but decided to wait for quantum break before I hop in. Glad to read the game turned out good.

That's disappointing, I don't want this main story to end anytime soon. Maybe I'll go do a bunch of the side missions.

Theres are a lot of side missions (or at least it felt like it) I did all but 4 before I finished the game, plenty to get stuck into.

Might want to consider doing some challenges and looking for collectibles as well to spread it out.

865 points now, big day tomorrow waiting for COD and getting this done

fuck the second side mission for the LARPers. I've been circling the fucking blue area for 10 minutes and I can't find the target to destroy so I turned off my xbox for now. Also bought their full set of armor and combined with the yellow wolf mask I look out of Skyrim lol

fuck the second side mission for the LARPers. I've been circling the fucking blue area for 10 minutes and I can't find the target to destroy so I turned off my xbox for now. Also bought their full set of armor and combined with the yellow wolf mask I look out of Skyrim lol

Look at the edge of the platform next to the tracks.

JLeack

Banned

I second this.

VanWinkle

I hope the new areas in the DLC will maybe move a little bit out of the full-on city environment into something different, for a little bit of environment variety.

Oh my goodness, something I kind of can't believe isn't also anywhere in Sunset City (unless I missed it) - a skate park!

blakep267

its behind one of the storage units. Its kinda hidden. If your talking about the same one I am

webkatt

Edited my player a little bit.

I2XOSqWl.jpg

bnGunYul.jpg

BraXzy

Alright I've beaten your scores in Traversal Challenge 1-6 (the only ones I have unlocked so far). Add me back "AnX IReCoiLz" and try and beat me if you dare :D

Anyone else also please add me/post your GT. I want a decent friends list for this game.

Teggy

Insomniac should go back and just make Overstrike for next gen. I really want to know what that game would have been. I've been a huge fan since Spyro days and I didn't even bother with Fuse
ok I didn't play deadlocked.

SlickVic

Hot damn this game is a blast. I get a big Saints Row vibe from it, not necessarily because they play similarly, but rather they both have the same style of "This is a video game, go ahead and do as much crazy shit as you want". Just makes it a joy to play.

Also really dig that this game has it's own Image as Designed equivalent by letting you overhaul your character completely as many times as you want.

Tiktaalik

So are Xbox servers super ultra terrible or something? I just bought the bundle and I'm downloading the game ever so slowly. Ticking up 1% seems to take an age. Bizarre.

It's amazing how much fun this game is once you get used to the controls and especially after you unlock the air dash. Traversal is extremely fun. It sure is a game that if you stick with it, it becomes one of the funnest games ever.Great job Insomniac.

I'm actually getting crazy taxi vibes from this game, it's the presentation and music... Really reminds me of crazy taxi 2, and especially crazy taxi 3.

A couple of the songs are excellent, the sunset city one is real catchy.

joe1138

Really surprised by how much I'm enjoying Sunset Overdrive. I'm not a fan of open world games and two of the more recent high profile entries in the genre, Dead Rising 3 and Infamous Second Son, really turned me off but Sunset Overdrive is a pure joy to play. I've been having a really hard time juggling my time between this and Bayonetta 2 lately.

webkatt

So are Xbox servers super ultra terrible or something? I just bought the bundle and I'm downloading the game ever so slowly. Ticking up 1% seems to take an age. Bizarre.

Yup call of duty downloads are really slowing down everything.

i'm preloading the new assassins creed and it's downloading so slow

Tiktaalik

To be fair I guess the game is also a big download.

Now I'm at 24% and can start the game, but I've just gotten to the start splash screen where there's an "Installing..." text and... no progress bar or anything.

This so badly crafted.

Can I shut this off or will that fuck everything up? Honestly super unimpressed with the Xbox One experience so far.

Ugh, I get paid on Friday and Amazon is out, of course. My local Best Buy has some in stock according to the website... hopefully they last until payday.

I really regret buying a PS4 before an Xbone.

To be fair I guess the game is also a big download.

Now I'm at 24% and can start the game, but I've just gotten to the start splash screen where there's an "Installing..." text and... no progress bar or anything.

This so badly crafted.

Can I shut this off or will that fuck everything up? Honestly super unimpressed with the Xbox One experience so far.

Yeah, that really sucked. Also the part you get to play while the rest downloads fully is so short and not really even worth it. I'd just wait for the 100%

Had the same experience when I booted mine up tuesday. These download and install times have been ridiculous. I had this, titanfall, and a physical copy of forza horizon 2 to download and everything didn't finish until two days later. But once I got past all that it's been a pretty good experience. The UI is awkward at times and does things I don't tell it to but I'm loving that I suspend/resume.

I kind of neglected SO for a bit there because I got caught up in my other games but when I came back to it I got hooked. The farther I get in to this game the better it gets. I'm not really a fan of the story or characters whatsoever but playing it is just good ol fashioned fun.

T.O.P

Banned
"Get ready to die, asshole"

Such a fun mission! Really digging the music as well, going dynamic was a great idea

Toki767

Just finished the game. It was really fun. I only had 3 major problems with the game. The humor wasn't really to my liking, the tower defense stuff can die in a fire, and I had horrible black crushing on my TV. Otherwise it was pretty great and clearly some of Insomniac's best work from a gameplay standpoint.

Finished the game, so damn good!

Funny hearing the character kept saying "good thing there is fast travel" but I kept saying nope rather travel there myself.

Traversal is super fun, now collecting everything and doing the challenges, while occasionally getting destroyed in chaos mode.

They need it implement the % meter for the community achievement, want to see how close we are to the 1.5 Billion OD slaying!

Zomba13

Just finished it. Super fun game and the traversal was definitely my favourite mechanic. Once you get all the abilities like the air boost and the super jump after a ground slam it was so fun to get around which is something a lot of open world games don't do all that well.

Really loved how colourful the world was and the characters. The humour was good for the most part too. The music was cool too with how more instruments were brought in the higher your style meter. I love when music is dynamic like that.

Top Bottom