• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I am actually happy they lock Air Dash for as long as they do. Moving without it is much harder, and it trains you to be aware of your surroundings and learn what you can and cannot interact with. I feel some of the minor intricacies of the movement would be lost if air dash was given right away.

I think this is the logic behind it.

Locking Air Dash, the higher jump and the water grind early in the game (I think water grind is locked) forces you to get good at certain skills.

The one skill you never really are forced to develop is wall run until a single mission. I've been working on that on my own and it makes traversal much easier. I think they could have used that for making tall buildings harder to climb. i.e. put a bouncy surface on the opposite side of the building, but my guess is they are trying to curb frustration throughout the design which is why they didn't do that.

StoOgE

So,

I finally experienced slowdown in Sunset overdrive last night.

In the games defense, there were 8 of us throwing out flying turrets, sprinklers, proximity mines and we were all nailing twist of fates on 4 hurkers.

This was an acceptable level of crazy time for there to be slowdown. It felt like it kept in the high 20s most of the time, but there was a moment where 5 twists of fates went off rapid fire and it felt like Bangioh.

Super fun stuff.

flkraven

I think this is the logic behind it.

Locking Air Dash, the higher jump and the water grind early in the game (I think water grind is locked) forces you to get good at certain skills.

The one skill you never really are forced to develop is wall run until a single mission. I've been working on that on my own and it makes traversal much easier. I think they could have used that for making tall buildings harder to climb. i.e. put a bouncy surface on the opposite side of the building, but my guess is they are trying to curb frustration throughout the design which is why they didn't do that.

You are correct. Wall run is the most under-utilized manuever in the world design, but I also find it to be the least 'fluid' if that makes sense. Grinding, swinging, bouncing, all seem to just 'work', where as wall run feels as if it changes the pace of your movement (ever so slightly).

With that said, I frequently practice my wall run when grabbing those Overcharge signs.

StoOgE

And for the third post in a row:

I hit about the 19 hour mark and completed the main story, played online a bit, did a few collectables and all of the side quests.

I think I'll probably wind up around the 30 hour mark to finish up single player collection/unlocks and think Chaos Squad will be good for at least another 20-30 until DLC comes out.

One question: does anyone have a list of the chaos squad unlocks and what they do? Money and Overdrive is easy to figure out. I know a weapon with a + sign is a temporary boost to that weapon (how long? how much?) but I've gotten some weird stuff I can't figure out.

Giggzy

They should make challenges turn Red/Silver/Gold on the map depending on what you ranked in it. Stay green if you haven't attempted it yet

Man, when this game clicks it really does, I beat it yesterday to completion, I didn't think there was any way I'd have the patience to find all the collectibles but once the air dash and slam bounce unlock, you can really get around fast. Side note regarding those, I'm still short ~10 fizzie ballons (I'm not home to double check the amount but definitely short) to purchase the last amp from Floyd., but have collected all /150, are there some secret ones I'm not aware of or is it not possible to buy them all?

Kalm

They should make challenges turn Red/Silver/Gold on the map depending on what you ranked in it. Stay green if you haven't attempted it yet

That would make sense.

I just use the challenge menu to fast-travel to most of them though and you can see whether or not you've attempted/gold'd them right there.

E92 M3

This game is so amazing when I put on my music and just go hunting for collectibles and side-quests. I can't even begin to explain how much fun I was having fun chaining collectibles together and figuring out routes.

I think for DLC they need to give us the craziest shit possible - even maybe allow upside down grinding.

No more after this I promise.... thread needs more color :)

20141103215016.jpg

20141103222954.jpg

20141103235653.jpg

20141103235625.jpg

20141103224416.jpg

20141103222148.jpg

Did you brighten up these shots? I'm not seeing the black crush I've seen in other shots.

StoOgE

Did you brighten up these shots? I'm not seeing the black crush I've seen in other shots.

I might be totally wrong, but I think the fix may have come out for that.

I noticed when I restarted the game under the wrong profile that the brightness slider actually affected the black level correctly.

E92 M3

I hope they add the "new" tag to the main level of the clothing menu. Sucks having to dig around and find the new stuff.

They're untouched, but they did come out brighter then what I actually see on my TV, it's pretty much the same though just the contrast is a bit darker, but I still have no issue seeing in the dark areas. Honestly though I'm not even going to pretend like I know what I'm talking about when it comes to crushed blacks, I just always assumed you could change your TV settings to fix it?, either way that's what I see it's just a little darker overall, I'm also playing through a capture card on my PC if that makes a difference?.

I'm enjoying the game but I really wish you could remap the controls. I don't know why but I'm constantly getting certain buttons mixed up. For example, I really want to use RB to bring up the weapon wheel and LB to boost.

Also, I don't like that I have to use Y to pick up mission critical items. Why WOULDN'T I want to pick it up. Just let me walk/run into it like the shoes or TP.

wrog

One question: does anyone have a list of the chaos squad unlocks and what they do? Money and Overdrive is easy to figure out. I know a weapon with a + sign is a temporary boost to that weapon (how long? how much?) but I've gotten some weird stuff I can't figure out.
You also get clothes, amps upgrades and Propain Launcher (great weapon).

Monster Zero

Beat the game yesterday at 22 hours with most sidequest done and about 75% of the collectibles, gonna finish that up today, game even makes looking for collectibles fun.

Here is just a random 5 minutes of gameplay I recorded http://youtu.be/lC_HeKyDNOs

The game is so much fun

This is nothing against your video whatsoever but it just reminds me that you really have to play this game to understand how fun it is. Everything can look so random and slow when your showing it to people but when your actually playing it all the various aspects really click.

urge26

Game really is amazing..... especially after the air dash, things just string together at that point. I've been begging for a Just Cause 3 next-gen and this at least gives me some of that taste. So glad I didn't pass up on this.

E92 M3

This! Probably my favorite mission.... I'm just sad now that the sword doesn't keep all its cool shit after you do the mission :(

I didn't get to it yet, but excited now. Hopefully they add some craziness back to the weapon for free roam or something.

I think the challenges are too easy to get gold in, particularly the bomb ones.

So far, I am doing rather average in them - except traversal. I am very good at traversal. The other ones not so much. That said, though. I've only spent like 20 minutes or so trying. I am tackling the challenges last.

I can't stop thinking about this game at work right now. This morning at a red light I had the urge to get out of the car, ground pound, bounce jump, and then grind on the power cables in my view in order to reach the stadium a few blocks away. That stadium would be SOOOOOOOOO good for Sunset Overdrive style traversal. Grinding the railings and wall running on the scoreboards and advertisements would be hella-fun. I love it when games rewire your brain to make sense of the world in a completely different way.

ohlawd

Are you doing them as they appear? The earlier ones are especially easy if you have the moves unlocked later in the game.

most of them, yeah.

I never fast traveled so I had a lot of challenges done and collectibles gathered by the time I finished the game.

E92 M3

most of them, yeah.

I never fast traveled so I had a lot of challenges done and collectibles gathered when I finished the game.

I don't fast travel either! This is the first open-world game where I don't want to fast travel. SO MUCH FUN just flying around the city.

I think the challenges are too easy to get gold in, particularly the bomb ones.
I wish I could agree with you. Buck's missions have taken me plenty of time to reach Gold in and I'll be damned if I will ever get a Gold in the challenges where you collect the floating number points.

I really hope they can ramp up the difficulty with the DLC... Once you get all your upgrades the game gets ridiculously.

I'm especially hoping they can add difficulty sliders to chaos squad because as it stands it seems way to easy... I've done about 10 of them and the only time we lost was when there was only two of us.

To make the entire game more challenging I've ditched most of my favorite weapons for the rest of the game to level up some of the weaker ones.

Anyone who has finished the game, did you have an issues with the mission This Ends Here?

I'm not able to advance beyond 2 skirmishes, it just seems to be stuck i in a loop of enemies spawning.

Am I missing something really obvious?

E92 M3

I really hope they can ramp up the difficulty with the DLC... Once you get all your upgrades the game gets ridiculously.

I'm especially hoping they can add difficulty sliders to chaos squad because as it stands it seems way to easy... I've done about 10 of them and the only time we lost was when there was only two of us.

I just can't wait overall what their plans are for the future - free stuff and DLC. I hope they support this game for a while.

--

I wonder what the spirits are like at the Insomniac office.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Man, the downtown base defense in chaos squad is wild! Unfortunately we were 10 points below the required chaos to get the achievement, but it was just insanity!

I've seen people using the puppy in MP. Is that a potential weapon drop from doing these missions?

NIN90

This is pretty much the only open world game where I can just zone out for 30+ minutes., the same way others do in GTA games.
Going around the city at lightning speed and killing hundreds of OD'd feels just so damn good.

ekim

Anyone who has finished the game, did you have an issues with the mission This Ends Here?

I'm not able to advance beyond 2 skirmishes, it just seems to be stuck i in a loop of enemies spawning.

Am I missing something really obvious?

Hm...
As far as I remember you have to kill a specific type of enemy in each skirmish.

BuddyL33

Neo Member
I am still on the fence with this game. I bought it because it was reviewing so well for an exclusive. I love the in game commentary. Has me laughing out loud very often. The colors and environments are pretty great as well. The game play seems kinda meh so far. There seems to be a lack of enemies for my tastes. I was kind of expecting wave upon wave of destruction and chaos, but I'm just not seeing that.

Also got into some of the multiplayer and pretty much felt exactly the same as single player. Not sure if I'm just not giving it enough of a chance or if this is just how the game is.

I am still on the fence with this game. I bought it because it was reviewing so well for an exclusive. I love the in game commentary. Has me laughing out loud very often. The colors and environments are pretty great as well. The game play seems kinda meh so far. There seems to be a lack of enemies for my tastes. I was kind of expecting wave upon wave of destruction and chaos, but I'm just not seeing that.

Also got into some of the multiplayer and pretty much felt exactly the same as single player. Not sure if I'm just not giving it enough of a chance or if this is just how the game is.

I would recommend playing a bit more. At least until you get the air dash. That's when the game really started getting cool for me and made the traversal faster and really fun. Also later in the game WAY more enemies will spawn throughout the world.

Strider

Floyd's missions are the worst of the side quests I've done so far IMO... but he's probably my favorite character in the whole game. Just listening to him talk makes me laugh :p

You need to keep playing. By the end of the game you'll be wanting the ability to slow things down. LOL

Giggzy

I ranked #1 in a few challenges yesterday :) If you see GetsumfrumE at the top, that's me :D

I think I'm almost done with the main story.
just got to Las Catrinas
I'm sad I'm almost done, but I can't wait to finish all the side quests I have left and get the collectibles. I HATED side quests and collectibles in every open world game I've played, but this one... Man, traversing makes everything so much fun. I love just going around opening trucks and saving citizens, also looking for chests.

Can't wait to get home and play some more

I ranked #1 in a few challenges yesterday :) If you see GetsumfrumE at the top, that's me :D

I think I'm almost done with the main story.
just got to Las Catrinas
I'm sad I'm almost done, but I can't wait to finish all the side quests I have left and get the collectibles. I HATED side quests and collectibles in every open world game I've played, but this one... Man, traversing makes everything so much fun. I love just going around opening trucks and saving citizens, also looking for chests.

Can't wait to get home and play some more

Totally agree with you on the side quests. This game has some of the best side quests in any game I've ever played. I want more.

Giggzy

Totally agree with you on the side quests. This game has some of the best side quests in any game I've ever played. I want more.

Yep. Another thing I never do is buy DLC, as I usually move on from the particular game by the time it releases. Not SO though. Bought the season pass last night and I'm already licking my lips for new content.

I really hope sales were great so we can get a sequel!

Top Bottom