• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
They REALLY need to add a different icon for the challenges we already completed

Yup, some of the UI things like that are one of my biggest gripes. It encourages just going through a menu and warping around, but I like the traversal and just getting to them is fun, but there's no easy way to easily know.

T.O.P

Banned
Yup, some of the UI things like that are one of my biggest gripes. It encourages just going through a menu and warping around, but I like the traversal and just getting to them is fun, but there's no easy way to easily know.

For now i decided to stop doing them, then once i'm done with the main campaign i'm going through them in order, it's the only way imo

To be fair I guess the game is also a big download.

Now I'm at 24% and can start the game, but I've just gotten to the start splash screen where there's an "Installing..." text and... no progress bar or anything.

This so badly crafted.

Can I shut this off or will that fuck everything up? Honestly super unimpressed with the Xbox One experience so far.

You can turn it off, but make sure you have background downloads enabled, or leave it on and view the progress under My Games and Apps. The X1 downloads all updates/patches during the install process, so it does take longer than it should. MS have said it's down to the DRM policy removal, but a fix is in the works.

Spectre

Awesome, just encountered
Buzzo from the Melvins
. That was a huge surprise. I thought his hair being a customisation choice was just a nice little inclusion, really cool that they actually got him for a part though. This game just got even better.

ekim

Ending spoiler
The scene where those helicopters are sent out to deliver the drink worldwide... leaving room for SSOD 2? :eek:

Finished up all the achievements, such a fantastic game. Not often a game comes around where I have as much fun as I've had with Sunset Overdrive. Can't give enough credit to Insomniac for creating something so special.

Can't wait to see what they have in store for the DLC. Hopefully it's all as fantastic as the rest of the game.

Leyasu

Banned
Ugh, I get paid on Friday and Amazon is out, of course. My local Best Buy has some in stock according to the website... hopefully they last until payday.

I really regret buying a PS4 before an Xbone.

I was a gaf lurker before the consoles launched last year, and nearly got a ps4 instead of a bone... With everything that has come out this year, sunset overdrive being my goty and halo next week. If I didnt have an xbone, I would be devastated!

New plan, I have stopped everything and am buying maps to get all the collectables. I just finished the harbour area. and have bought all the maps for little tokyo.

In a couple of hours I should have everything.

Dougald

Really, really enjoyed this. Easily edges out Infamous for me as my favourite launch year game. Really enjoyed the humour in some of the quests, especially the (late game)
RPG sidequest and the sword quest
. Well done, insomniac. I bought an Xbone for Dead Rising and this, so I'm glad to see my purchase vindicated.

Now to go back and get all the collectibles I missed..

Footos22

Just going around gettign the collectibles is s fun as the main game.
Not had this much fun playing a game for a long time. Bought an xbox one back in march just for this and im so glad i did. its the only game ive bought as well actually apart form Froza Horizon. forza 5 and titanfall were free. didnt like them much

WoolyNinja

I don't own an xboxone but really hope this game does well for insomniac. They used to be my favorite dev on the ps2 but last gen they mostly lost their way. This sounds like a return to good insomniac which is great for gamers.

ekim

Insomniac, I want this weapon
in full power mode
back ;(

There is weapons challenge with that weapon. But I agree - I want to use it in free roam. They should allow us to do so after finishing the story. Do we know if there are any cheats? :eek:

Oh and I'd like to take a moment to commend Insomniac for having a great variety of mission types in the game. The core mechanics are always there but they aren't afraid to introduce new mechanics even if it is just for a single mission. The side missions get a bit more repetitive at times (though there were good unique ones there too) but I never felt like the game was lacking variety. The fact you can pick up missions where you left off helps this too. If the next marker is too far and you get distracted into another mission you can just pick the first misison back up where you left off later on.

Did not know this. Nice to know!

ekim

Seems like the game charted #1 in the UK individual charts. I hope we get a sequel. Haven't had that much fun with a game for years.

chugen

ys7C3mw.gif

i love that game. and that
Excalamune
mission holy shit <3

emalord

So, until yesterday I was 5 hours in the game and it just didn't click
There was something utterly wrong with pace and flow
I was trying to really love this game but I wasn't able to fully enjoy it

Then, yesterday, for no specific reasons the AIR-DASH move was unlocked and -suddenly- I was playing the game I was expecting to play since minute one

WHY Insomniac, WHY I had to wait so long for a move that had to be there since minute 1?
Why you forced me to play with a crippled-experience so long???

And please, PHOTOMODE asap, okay?
Game is perfect for screenshooting

E92 M3

I hope the fix the tiny UI problems like vendors not showing where the new stuff (on the main menu) is and the challenges being marked as done.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Woke up a bit early this morning, wondered downstairs, watched the news and thought "fuck it, I've got an hour to kill, let's boot SO." Thank the lords for Xbone's resume function, because I boot up, select SO and BAM instantly in-game where I left off. Played a side-quest or two, even killed a Herker or two and a Spawner, did some crazy ass combo shit. I had so much fun just launching Acid Sprinklers, shooting Flaming Compensators, then finishing the job with the AK-FU, then my alarm went off that I set to make sure I didn't be late to work because this game is such a fucking sinkhole.

TheOddOne

Seems like the game charted #1 in the UK individual charts. I hope we get a sequel. Haven't had that much fun with a game for years.
Funny, I could swear I saw some producer note that he is working on the "Sunset Overdrive franchise".

:D

flkraven

Anyone else also please add me/post your GT. I want a decent friends list for this game.

GT: flkRaven

Man, this game. It is ruining traversal in all other games for me. I was playing the Evolve alpha, and really wanted to grind on rocks. It's even ruining real-life movement. I can even look at a street curb or power lines anymore.

20 hours in and it's my GOTY so far. I don't understand why some reviewers said it takes a "while" for things to click. 20 minutes and I was flying.

saladine1

Wow, I am really, really enjoying this game.
Love everything about it especially the humor.

Well done Insomniac, one of my favourite games for sure.

That shoutout during the
first, fake
credits roll lol.

Finished it off just now. Had an absolute blast with it. Fantastic on so many levels - writing, humour, combat, traversal, music and the fact that it is so aware of itself. Definitely one of the best of the year.

m23

Was that Aaron Paul in the side mission where you defend the construction yard? It sounded exactly like him, and he was saying a lot of familiar lines from breaking bad.

Wizman23

Banned
It's amazing how much fun this game is once you get used to the controls and especially after you unlock the air dash. Traversal is extremely fun. It sure is a game that if you stick with it, it becomes one of the funnest games ever.Great job Insomniac.

Yeah its quite strange. Most games I get burned out on the more I play. With Sunset the game just keeps getting better and better the more I play!

How do you equip another Melee weapon? I've got the crowbar now, but my Day 1 edition came with that Hardcore Hammer (or whatever it's called). :p

How do you equip another Melee weapon? I've got the crowbar now, but my Day 1 edition came with that Hardcore Hammer (or whatever it's called). :p

You can change the skin via the clothing npc, this old woman in a red dress, just look for the t-shirt icons on the map. If you haven't unlocked this yet just keep playing the main story and she will show up.

Rosur

So, until yesterday I was 5 hours in the game and it just didn't click
There was something utterly wrong with pace and flow
I was trying to really love this game but I wasn't able to fully enjoy it

Then, yesterday, for no specific reasons the AIR-DASH move was unlocked and -suddenly- I was playing the game I was expecting to play since minute one

WHY Insomniac, WHY I had to wait so long for a move that had to be there since minute 1?
Why you forced me to play with a crippled-experience so long???

And please, PHOTOMODE asap, okay?
Game is perfect for screenshooting

Yea the air dash move is definitely much better. Though only took me about an 1hr/2 to get (didn't do much side missions till then).

flkraven

I am actually happy they lock Air Dash for as long as they do. Moving without it is much harder, and it trains you to be aware of your surroundings and learn what you can and cannot interact with. I feel some of the minor intricacies of the movement would be lost if air dash was given right away.

Top Bottom