• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

ArchAngel

As a non-lover of Insomniac Games, this game is genius! I love the speed, the colors, the action, the weapons, the characters, the respawn animations, the jokes
dat NeoGAF reference

Thank you, Insomniac for the first Xbox One must-have :D

And ... Mark Cerny in the Credits? :eek:

Yep. Another thing I never do is buy DLC, as I usually move on from the particular game by the time it releases. Not SO though. Bought the season pass last night and I'm already licking my lips for new content.

I really hope sales were great so we can get a sequel!

It really does leave you wanting more, right? I haven't felt this way about a game in a very looooong time.

It's #1 in the individual charts, so that's something.

Hoping MS has already green-lit a sequel.

Grisby

Finished. What a fun endgame mission.
I loved the fake ending (gaf call out)and the return of Fizzie.

This game lived up to my hype. Often I would get sidetracked just killing dudes and building my combo meter through some high flying parkour.

Unless Dragon Age knocks my socks off I can see Sunset being my game of the year. SO just had everything in spades from the wild environmental colors to tons of action with cool weapons. I can't state enough how rewarding the tracersal felt and acing the movement challenges was a lot of fun.

Some few niggles that come to mind are:
-Some more music
-Maybe work the currency and amp handouts a bit better. I'm guessing at the lvl 2 amps are in Chaos Squad because right now it's not like I have a lot to choose from, and some are just decorative. I ended up saving a lot of my collectables too because I figuered that better ones would come near the end.

Ohmbrew

I can't stop thinking about this game at work right now. This morning at a red light I had the urge to get out of the car, ground pound, bounce jump, and then grind on the power cables in my view in order to reach the stadium a few blocks away. That stadium would be SOOOOOOOOO good for Sunset Overdrive style traversal. Grinding the railings and wall running on the scoreboards and advertisements would be hella-fun. I love it when games rewire your brain to make sense of the world in a completely different way.

Ya, I had that problem with GTA V last year! Was on a work trip with a colleague and I had brought my 360 to play this with him. Once we got in the car after playing for three nights, we both had the urge to just drive like we do in the game. My colleague told me that when he got home, he accidently ran a couple of lights (it was out in the countryside, so no big worry....!)

oops!

On topic - this game is so much fun. I just started playing a couple of days ago, and I'm surprised at how quickly it sucked me in. I've never been into apocolyptic style games like this before, but this one is so colourful and engaging. Time seems to fly by while exploring Sunset City!

Thanks Insomniac and MS!

eshwaaz

You also get clothes, amps upgrades and Propain Launcher (great weapon).
Wait - you can only get the Propane Launcher by playing Chaos Squad? That would suck! I've been looking forward to unlocking that weapon, but I'm not a multiplayer guy at all.

E92 M3

I don't like how chaos squad is basically a competition to see who can kill the most enemies first. Not as much about teamwork.

If anyone is having a problem with a mission not progressing just hard boot your Xbox. I had the last two sidequests refuse to complete even though I raised 3 out of 3 flags/destroyed all controllers. I restarted the Xbox and played them again and I got the complete screen no problem.

Teggy

I know they're different games, but are the parkour-ish part similar in Infamous: Second Son?

It's more skill-based in this game. In Second Son in a lot of cases you are just holding one button to move a long distance, like with the neon powers, but in this game you need to pay attention to the surroundings and move from wire, to wall, to bounce, to water, etc. to get where you want to go.

Heysoos

God I love this game so much. It's so much fun, did the
giant Fizzie balloon boss and also the following the train after 4Kim
missions, and the sense of speed once you're pulling off jumps and grinds like nothing while still shooting at the enemies so amazing.

Hoping MS has already green-lit a sequel.

Yup. This could be their big third party exclusive for this generation. Will be interesting to see it has staying power, I'm certainly hoping it does.

Horizon 2 is surprising in how it's sticking around in the charts. I hope the same happens for this.

SlinkyFriend

Neo Member
I love the game, but I let my friend play and start a new game... He liked everything but he chose a big black guy and the default voice really seemed out of sync with the character. The next game really should have a couple of voice options as the game loses some comedic value with a voice that doesn't go with your guy.

Also, talking about speed, I like how you really have to work at it, to go faster. Using boost is nice, but then using different bounces and wall runs and grinding along with the boost can make you go faster too. I really like that... I love this game, I wish I hadn't played so much because I am afraid I am going to finish everything too fast, luckily just traversing the world is so addicting.

I've been loving my time with this game this weekend. It was an unexpected pickup, primarily derived from wanting to clock some hours of usage on my Xbone.

It's honestly been the most surprised I've been about a game in years. The movement and traversing is probably the smoothest and most enjoyable out of any 1st/3rd person games I've played.

Does it remind anyone else of jet set radio? Maybe its my nostalgia-vision making me love this game so much.

KingV

This is an interesting point.

On one hand, I agree but on the other, I say that your concern can be addressed by offering enemy variety.

I think my primary concern is what I feel is the illusion of variety. At this point, I feel that the game throws all these options to you (amps, badges, weapons, etc) but gives you very little incentive to experiment with them. It can be overwhelming and upping the difficulty via less health, or receiving more damage etc may distract from time spent experimenting with traversal, combat, etc., which should be the priority imo.

I think, for me, the issue of difficulty has to be addressed very specifically. The problem is I find myself holding left bumper to switch weapons midgame out of some notion that I should be switching it up rather than having to. So in lieu of ramping up difficulty, per se, I suggest that enemy variety is in order to give you that incentive. Otherwise, I am left with a superficial feeling about my options.

It's not easy. In an ideal situation, these options are thrown at you to give you, the player, the sensation of being who you want. As much as I admire that philosophy, it isn't working for me. I still find myself resorting to grinding in a square, bouncing off a car out of some obligation to switch it up and switching weapons (not because I want to change things up, but because I've run out of ammo). There's only so much in a single playthrough I can deal with that before getting bored. As of this post, I haven't touched the game in 4 days.

Very hard balance to find.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I like the game, I will beat it, but the combat to me is sort of dull. I like the traversal a lot more than the big epic battles that see me just grind in a circle on the telephone wires while firing my favorite gun.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yup. This could be their big third party exclusive for this generation. Will be interesting to see it has staying power, I'm certainly hoping it does.

Horizon 2 is surprising in how it's sticking around in the charts. I hope the same happens for this.

Word of mouth has been strong for both games so I hope so. I thought FH2 would be my GOTY but I think I'll have to give it to SO at this point (sorry Helios!). Either way Xbox owners have gotten some great games.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I like the game, I will beat it, but the combat to me is sort of dull. I like the traversal a lot more than the big epic battles that see me just grind in a circle on the telephone wires while firing my favorite gun.

You really can't do this in the harder parts of the game. Sure there isn't much of a death penalty, but wires and rails get set on fire and electrocuted eventually, so you have to use all of your tools later on.

Word of mouth has been strong for both games so I hope so. I thought FH2 would be my GOTY but I think I'll have to give it to SO at this point (sorry Helios!). Either way Xbox owners have gotten some great games.

I still haven't played Horizon 2 for more than a couple of hours. I was sucked into SoM and now I've been sucked into this. Horizon 2 and DC have had to take a back seat for now...

You can't blame the game for your taking the easy route during the bigger battles.

Maybe try to build your combo meter by bouncing on cars, grinding on rails, swinging on poles, wall running, and then dropping the hammer on the large horde with a max combo meter.

flkraven

Whenever I like a game this much, I like to read remarks on metacritic from people that feel the opposite way. Sometimes it exposes some legitimate critiques that I may have glossed over, and other times...it's hilarious.

Why do people do this? I find it hilarious that people make multiple accounts in order to rate a game lower. Case and point, here are a few 0 scores (lol):

lbjmvp23 said:
Don't really see what all the fuss is about... just reminds me of the old dead rising games, only sped up slightly. Then again I've only played a few hours, just seems like its gonna get boring fast.

Stirling1712 said:
Don't really see what all the fuss is about... just reminds me of the old dead rising games, only sped up slightly. Then again I've only played a few hours, just seems like its gonna get boring fast.

and...

call_of_duty said:
Pretty much just a childs version of Infamous. Short campaign, repetitive game play with very limited story choices or dialogue choices. Could of been better. Basically I'll give you three words to describe it; boring boring boring

Enforcer122 said:
Pretty much just a childs version of Infamous. Short campaign, repetitive game play with very limited story choices or dialogue choices. Could of been better.

Why do people do this?

"Blaming the game" is not how we are framing the discussion. The question is why would you (build your combo meter)? The outcome is the same regardless of the approach. That was the point I was trying to address in my post which is to say a) there is no reward/incentive and b) the game doesn't really press you to.

The game DOES hand you all the tools of the trade but the presentation of these tools are so overwhelming that it feels more work than it does seamless delivery.

Why would you build the combo meter? To take full advantage of the amps system as well as taking full advantage of the traversal mechanics and it making you feel like a complete badass.

There's the reasons.

Grinding in cricles won't unlock your amps, will it? Or is the process just slower? Near the end of the campaign I would mix up moves and reach combo 3 very quickly (thanks to style overdrives). Max combo rank is the key to decimation - that and a mix of offensive and defensive weapons.

Don't agree with calling it convoluted. Build up style by combining and chaining moves - that unlocks your abilities. Its similar in ways to Nephalem Glory in Diablo 3, or even to some extent like kill-streak perks in COD.

Teggy

Grinding in cricles won't unlock your amps, will it? Or is the process just slower?

You need to be building your combo, and grinding a single wire won't do that. So you can grind in a circle as long as you are killing stuff quickly while doing it. Chaining traversal moves, chaining kills or both.

Just beat the
Boy Scout Dragon
boss. How far am I into the game? I'm guessing roughly a third to a half of the way through, but I'm not sure.

Not disagreeing with any of that. I just think the mechanics of the systems you mentioned are too convoluted. Depends on player if it is worth the trouble. I think you can get that same end result by streamlining things a bit. Maybe something similar to the subclass options your classes in Destiny have. I dunno.

I wouldn't say they are convoluted at all. What about them do you consider convoluted?

The amps system is incredibly simplistic. The more you string together moves, the more your combo meter grows and with each level increase you unlock more amp powers. The traversal itself is both intuitive and easy to master while also being deep and allowing for players to string together moves/combos effortlessly as they become more experienced.

On my previous point about 'blaming the game'

You, as the player, have the choice to either take full advantage of all the game mechanics and systems or you can choose to cheese it and do the bare minimum and by extension think the game is boring or dull. That's essentially a 'you' problem in the latter instance. You, as the player, have chosen not to invest into the game mechanics and system.

So yeah, grinding in a circle and then claiming the combat is dull is entirely a problem on the players end, as the player isn't taking full advantage of all the systems the game has to offer.

So yeah, grinding in a circle and then claiming the combat is dull is entirely a problem on the players end, as the player isn't taking full advantage of all the systems the game has to offer.

I think he wants the difficulty to be balanced so that you have to take full advantage of all systems. I get that complaint and it would be cool to be able to replay missions at a higher difficulty down the road.

I think he wants the difficulty to be balanced so that you have to take full advantage of all systems. I get that complaint and it would be cool to be able to replay missions at a higher difficulty down the road.

It's challenging if you take full advantage of all the systems. By going to the ground and bouncing on cars, wall running and grinding on the rails, the difficulty level ramps up pretty quickly as you have 25+ OD chasing after you within moments.

Not to mention the scabs that often appear and start causing problems and let's not forget the Fizzco robots.

It's challenging if you take full advantage of all the systems. By going to the ground and bouncing on cars, wall running and grinding on the rails, the difficulty level ramps up pretty quickly as you have 25+ OD chasing after you within moments.

Not to mention the scabs that often appear and start causing problems and let's not forget the Fizzco robots.

And I like all of this, but I didn't feel particularly challenged in any part of the campaign. I still had fun and went crazy with the traversal options, but I'd like the option to play the game at a higher difficulty level at this point.

Mononoke

Banned
Just wanted to say I truly loved this game. It reminded me a lot of Saints Row. I've seen a lot of people say they didn't find the humor funny. That it was too in your face and cocky...and annoying. And thing is, I actually thought the commercials were that -- and it had me very worried about the game. But I didn't find the humor to be that way at all. I thought it was really funny, and charming. A lot more subdued than I think the commercials made it out to be (I really didn't like the trailer style where Insomniac talked about it in a meta way, it was kind of cringe).

This game might be my favorite next gen game to date. My only gripes with it, is that I feel like it suffers the issues that all sandbox games can have, where the missions might feel a little repetitive and not enough variety. But what truly saves this game, is the grinding mechanic. The game is so much damn fun traversing the city. I love how the game is always keeping you moving. I found myself just getting sucked in for hours...collecting shit and grinding across the city (so like Crackdown). So for me, that is what really held the game together. That + the insane weapons and the fun gameplay, I think made up for any gripes I had.

I also love the artyle, and just how vibrant and full of life it is. I didn't hear about the crushed blacks until today, but I actually noticed this myself when playing. The blacks are way too dark. You notice it when your character is in cut scenes, and there is a shadow on their face. It looks awful. So that's my only gripe with regards to the technical performance. I actually thought the 30 FPS was very smooth, I never really experienced any stuttering or drops. And considering how fast you can traverse the city, and the amount of shit going on at the same time, I actually thought the game ran very well, and also looked well at 900p. Really no complaints. But they really need to stop with the crushed blacks/filter with upscaling. It makes things look much worse. The game is already vibrant looks amazing. It does not need that film/layer of extra dark blacks. It's distracting, and kind of makes things look more ugly.

So yeah, all in all loved it. Beat the game, will totally go back and play it again later down the line. Def my favorite game on either PS4 or X1 so far.

FizzcoTankbots and Scab Boomers (or whatever the mine layers are called) are pretty much the doom of the "circle and shoot" strat. You'll end up spending more time recovering from getting knocked off than you do shooting :p

Giggzy

That sounds great. If they can carry over the Chaos % that you build up in Chaos Squad to the SP Campaign that would be awesome. Can amplify it to whatever difficulty you'd want to endure.

Are you listening, Insomniac?

iso135

I wish I could agree with you. Buck's missions have taken me plenty of time to reach Gold in and I'll be damned if I will ever get a Gold in the challenges where you collect the floating number points.

This is what makes some of the challenges fun for me. I have not done too many of them yet, but I loved trying to get gold in Buck's first challenge and Points Challenge #2. They both took some effort, but were very satisfying.

I beat it this morning, but my Internet cut out right at the end and I didn't get credit for doing so ('cheevo-wise).

I need to go back and replay the last defence mission, the rocking one, because I technically failed it but it let me through. I was at 0/3 items in need of defence, when I last looked.

The final boss was cool, but so easy. Already knew about the NeoGAF shoutout, but that was funny too.

B-Dex

Getting the chaos squad chaos % Cheeves is a crapshoot. Played old factory district and we all chose the highest % options and got 147, 142etc.... Annoying because the night defence is a face roll.

Same thing in little Tokyo. 344, 349.....

I did however get the harbour one first game there.

That sounds great. If they can carry over the Chaos % that you build up in Chaos Squad to the SP Campaign that would be awesome. Can amplify it to whatever difficulty you'd want to endure.

Are you listening, Insomniac?

I think that at some point they'd start running into technical issues with the number of enemies on screen. It does a really damn good job, but still.

And I like all of this, but I didn't feel particularly challenged in any part of the campaign. I still had fun and went crazy with the traversal options, but I'd like the option to play the game at a higher difficulty level at this point.

I have to disagree. I feel I'm pretty skilled at the game right now with a number of level 3 weapons and yet I still feel incredibly challenged whenever I head to street level.

The sheer pandemonium of being on the ground and trying to ensure you have a grasp on everything that's happening around you while you blitz around the ever shrinking area is in itself a huge challenge and adds a significant difficulty layer to the game, while you keep trying to ensure you keep your combo going so you take full advantage of the combat mechanics.

FizzcoTankbots and Scab Boomers (or whatever the mine layers are called) are pretty much the doom of the "circle and shoot" strat. You'll end up spending more time recovering from getting knocked off than you do shooting :p

Exactly. I find it baffling how anyone can say it's not challenging or needs to be more difficult.

Perhaps there's a number of OP weapons you unlock later on that makes the combat significantly less challenging?

Giggzy

The hairspray gun makes OD cannon fodder. With hurkers/Spawners I freeze them with the freeze gun, throw down an acid sprinkler on top of them, then go to town with a flaming compensator and melee smashes.

All this while my lightening storm amp is destroying everything. It's glorious.

I do feel melee smashes do slightly too much damage. It's easy to destroy things by just chaining them.

I have to disagree. I feel I'm pretty skilled at the game right now with a number of level 3 weapons and yet I still feel incredibly challenged whenever I head to street level.

The sheer pandemonium of being on the ground and trying to ensure you have a grasp on everything that's happening around you while you blitz around the ever shrinking area is in itself a huge challenge and adds a significant difficulty layer to the game, while you keep trying to ensure you keep your combo going so you take full advantage of the combat mechanics.

Exactly. I find it baffling how anyone can say it's not challenging or needs to be more difficult.

Perhaps there's a number of OP weapons you unlock later on that makes the combat significantly less challenging?

There kind of are. Hairspray Cannon basically makes getting to style 3 easy mode, then your epic amp kicks in. Still, even then you need to be more active than just sitting on the same rail and circling on autopilot.

Top Bottom