• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

There kind of are. Hairspray Cannon basically makes getting to style 3 easy mode, then your epic amp kicks in. Still, even then you need to be more active than just sitting on the same rail and circling on autopilot.

Hmm, think I might avoid/limit my use of this hairspray cannon if it makes the combat significantly easier.

All this while my lightening storm amp is destroying everything. It's glorious.
This AMP is my favorite, by far. As soon as I saw Level 2 pop up at Floyd's my face lit up like it was Christmas. It's not only graphically impressive to see, but I love how it stuns enemies, too.

Tarahiro

I played a bit of Minecraft today after playing SO since Friday and I tried to air dash XD

Sunset Overdrive really has it's claws sunk deep into me. Loving it!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I played a bit of Minecraft today after playing SO since Friday and I tried to air dash XD

Sunset Overdrive really has it's claws sunk deep into me. Loving it!

Crackdown broke me from other games for a while.

I suspect this will to.
I

StoOgE

Lightning strike is my shit.

Also, screw the fourth wall.

I realize it is taking a perfectly good amp slot up, but the guy is amazing.

I shot a hurker and the announcer just shouted "Fuck that guy"

I am also a 12 year old it seems.

hawk2025

I have one minor complaint:

I wish the amps and Overdrives were more... punchy. I don't know, I feel like the Overdrives don't do quite as much and aren't as varied as I would have liked. And while I understand the purpose of activating amps the better you play, I feel like the game already does a good enough job of encouraging you to keep moving by having the damage be so much higher in the ground. So I kind of wish that Amps were equipped skills instead of being tied to the Style Meter, I think.

Edit:

Was that (fairly early spoiler)
Invisible Wall totally a Cabin In The Woods reference?

There's a forth wall amp? Am I reading that right?

Giggzy

LOL! I didn't want to get that amp because like you said, it takes up a spot just for an announcer. But if he spouts stuff like that I might reconsider!

Mononoke

Banned
Lightning amp is pretty amazing. As the game went on, I kept swapping it out for the next unlock. And I honestly thought each amp after it was kind of disappointing (I mean for that specific slot). Just in terms of pure damage and effect, I think the lightning one is one of the best. The grinding/flame amp is also pretty crazy in certain areas/levels. It can really rek a swarm/wave pretty fast.

The nuke weapon amp is epic. I put that thing on my laser cannon (late game), so I would be cutting through like 15 enemies in one shot, and then randomly the nuke would trigger and BOOM it would clear out anything that was in that radius. It was nasty pairing.

Exactly. I find it baffling how anyone can say it's not challenging or needs to be more difficult.

Perhaps there's a number of OP weapons you unlock later on that makes the combat significantly less challenging?

Yeah there is... The deployable guns are way OP like the chopper turret and fizzle acid gun and then you throw the hair spray gun or max level tntteddy on top of that and it makes everything so easy...

I love those deployable weapons, they are a ton of fun to use but they remove any challenge out of the game... I don't mind for campaign as I've been swapping them out to try all the guns but in chaos squad you'll get left behind if you don't use these.

I have one minor complaint:

I wish the amps and Overdrives were more... punchy. I don't know, I feel like the Overdrives don't do quite as much and aren't as varied as I would have liked. And while I understand the purpose of activating amps the better you play, I feel like the game already does a good enough job of encouraging you to keep moving by having the damage be so much higher in the ground. So I kind of wish that Amps were equipped skills instead of being tied to the Style Meter, I think.

Edit:

Was that (fairly early spoiler)
Invisible Wall totally a Cabin In The Woods reference?

I thought the same about the spoiler.

I haven't felt the same about the amps system yet, but it's possible I might as I unlock more and reach the end of the game.

yep. available pretty early on.

Where can I find it?

StoOgE

Yeah there is... The deployable guns are way OP like the chopper turret and fizzle acid gun and then you throw the hair spray gun or max level tntteddy on top of that and it makes everything so easy...

I love those deployable weapons, they are a ton of fun to use but they remove any challenge out of the game... I don't mind for campaign as I've been swapping them out to try all the guns but in chaos squad you'll get left behind if you don't use these.

they are the only way to survive an insane downtown night raid with like 1200% chaos or however high the stupid thing goes.

Those OP weapons and amps are required for pretty much everyone to control that insanity.

I bought the acid sprinklers the other day but haven't used them yet, think I might avoid using them if they are really OP.

Floyd I believe

Awesome, I'll see what he has on offer the next time I play.

Technically, doesn't matter. Amps are "flair". You need not purchase a single one to complete all side missions, challenges and campaign missions. They're a means to an end and a form of expressionism if anything. I haven;t bought a single one and I haven't use any newer ones since meeting the Troopers because...
And you can beat Halo CE with only the pistol. Still sounds like a weird argument to make. Its because of those melee and epic amps and overdrives that the defense missions went from hassle to fun as hell. It makes a tremendous difference to every fight when I have bolts of lighting taking out nearby enemies every second or two.

In the beginning this game is about picking up the basic moveset and integrating it into combat. As the game progresses and throws more at you and asks more of you, it becomes about being in three places at once, and every advantage helps.

Haha, you and me are brothers in spirit. I'll even let you use my tree fort.

Love the shit out of both of those amps.

jobrro

Finished the main story and all the side quests up over the weekend, not my overall GOTY but definitely my Xbone GOTY.

Really enjoyed the humour, VERY Saints Row 4-like to me.

Gameplay was fun, city is great and pretty damn amazing for traversal especially once air dash is in the arsenal.

For me personally, there's probably too many collectibles for me to be bothered with, collecting them would probably just feel like grinding. Think I finished the game with about 50 in each category, maybe if there was 100 of each I might be more likely to collect them all. Also the Overdrives are a little annoying to me in that you need to pick and choose what you want available. I prefer set it and forget it upgrades at least character wise, but other people probably prefer it this way. Neither of these detracters take away from the core gameplay though which is wonderful. Glad I picked up the Season Pass.

Mononoke

Banned
I feel bad for not using the deployable weapons like the chopper one. I only used the acid one briefly. I feel like the TNT teddy and the Hairspray gun as well as the laser cannon are easy to rely too heavily on. I guess i played the game wrong :p.

So I got disc version but it still is taking up 23 gb. Is this right?

Was about to sell game after first few missions but once I got the TNTteddy I am starting to warm up to it a little...

Nick

I've put in a good 20-25 hours, and this is definitely my GOTY. The movement in this game is unreal. It's like part Titanfall, part Jet Set Radio. Haven't been bored once, and that takes a lot for me these days.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i got the hang of the controls rather quickly, but after several hours i'm still utterly confused with the upgrade system for the character and guns. not sure what my issue is really, it cant be that complex

Obscured

So many great little things in this game and I'm just getting started. During one part when I was climbing up near the beginning I was thinking, "damn this will suck if I miss a jump", I immediately missed the next jump. Then my guy said, "Thanks for not starting me all the way at the bottom." (paraphrasing), it was such an awesome moment and it was one that in a lot of other games would have been rage-inducing. Having a good checkpoint and in addition pointing it out just made me smile. Also, Gymkata reference!

Some other game I am playing I get a mission to go run over to another place and hit a button and I kind of am 'meh', this one tells me to go somewhere and I spend as much time as I can popping and grinding off stuff.

Need to get a bit further into it and then I'll start checking out Chaos Squad.

I need this amp. Immediately. Gotta go talk to Floyd when I get home from work...

Tall Paul

Literally still on the fence with this, I know I will like it but with MCC and AC Unity coming out soon I'm being picky! May just download!

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I feel bad for not using the deployable weapons like the chopper one. I only used the acid one briefly. I feel like the TNT teddy and the Hairspray gun as well as the laser cannon are easy to rely too heavily on. I guess i played the game wrong :p.

hairspray rockets with the nuke amp is the only way to play that and with the max ammo count so you got 50 rockets good times

My copy just got delivered.

Any consensus yet? Had a friend who was pretty bored (by the tutorial, lol).

It sounds like the game is pretty repetitive/simple early on, but blooms once you start getting new skills/progression?

MP/COOP fun? That's the main reason I got it.

It sounds like the game is pretty repetitive/simple early on, but blooms once you start getting new skills/progression?

Trust me, stick with it. once you get the air dash ,the game goes to a whole new level of astounding. CO-OP is a blast, your not only trying to complete the mission with your team, but your also in competition with them as well at the same time.

Man, that Amp that generates flames while you're grinding is insane. Just grind around on the tracks during nighttime defense and you're racking up points like there's no tomorrow.

When do you get the Air Dash?

Ragus

Banned
Comic book quest were worth it for that fucking hero suit :D. One question about a smartphone - there is one located on the south of the first city. It seems to be blocked by two trucks? How do I get it?

Leyasu

Banned
I've put in a good 20-25 hours, and this is definitely my GOTY. The movement in this game is unreal. It's like part Titanfall, part Jet Set Radio. Haven't been bored once, and that takes a lot for me these days.

Agreed, I have not been bored once either.. Plus the goty part as well!

But fuck I have done something stupid... I bought all the maps for the collectibles, and now I cant stop! Whats more, I didn't realise there was a downtown area (which I have not yet got to in the story), so these i wont be able to get until I advance some more.

This game has got me by the balls lol

Leyasu

Banned

The game is awesome. I wasn't sure for about the first 10 mins lol. Seriously, once you clock the controls, then get the weapons and then air dash. Shit, this is one super game. Enjoy!

Oh yeah chaos squad, is crazy good!

they are the only way to survive an insane downtown night raid with like 1200% chaos or however high the stupid thing goes.

Those OP weapons and amps are required for pretty much everyone to control that insanity.

Yeah your totally right. However it makes everything else (including every other chaos squad) a cake walk.

Honestly I don't mind all that much in the campaign but as I usually am just shooting for max combos/style anyways but in the chaos squad I hope they ramp up the difficulty by adding some sort of difficulty sliders, ability to control how man players you play with and add some more challenging locations like downtown is.

Don't get me wrong too I love the game, I can spend hours just bouncing around the city changing combos together etc... I just feel there is something to be desired in regard to the difficulty which Is why I made the decision to scrap all the heavy hitter weapons for the remainder of my campaign play through

Monster Zero

They are.

OK cool, I almost felt like a jackass. So let's talk overdrives, what are you guys rocking? I use Max style generation for bounce, grind, single shot weapons, and 75% single shot damage, and 25% OD killer. I think in overkill on style generation though, I get "!!" After shooting a few rockets

Yessssss, thanks for the impressions. My buddy said it seemed repetitive (again, he only played through the tutorial), but we also play a lot of Destiny, so I took "repetitive" with a grain of salt.

Sounds like a lot of fun, though--can't wait to play tonight!

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
OK cool, I almost felt like a jackass. So let's talk overdrives, what are you guys rocking? I use Max style generation for bounce, grind, single shot weapons, and 75% single shot damage, and 25% OD killer. I think in overkill on style generation though, I get "!!" After shooting a few rockets

same ones except i had +fire damage instead of the od killer

Laws00

my friend watched me play sunset overdirive and he just asked me, what the hell was going on in the game.

all he saw was some explosions, me skating around.

i told if youre not jumping, gridning or and shooting something youre not doing it right

I'll generally rock +damage +style and + ammo for single shots, + ammo for deployables, and a few that I change depending on what I'm fighting.

Is this game selling out a lot of places? I was in target checking out the games I might be interested in for the B2G1 sale (I want samurai 4 for example but didnt see it)

I didn't see any copies of sunset overdrive anywhere, I was just going to see if day one edition is still available.

Is this game selling out a lot of places? I was in target checking out the games I might be interested in for the B2G1 sale (I want samurai 4 for example but didnt see it)

I didn't see any copies of sunset overdrive anywhere, I was just going to see if day one edition is still available.

I wonder if Jstevenson can give us an update or maybe a thumbs up or down?

Just beat the (spoilers)
Fizzie
boss fight. So much fun, I love how fluid it was. And the writing was awesome there too. :)

Edit: aaaand it just crashed to the XB home screen. So weird.

Top Bottom