• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Solsc

Has anyone else experienced the glitch where the controller is disconnected message won't go away after the console goes to sleep? It happens every time I wake my console up and the only way to get rid of it is to restart the game completely.
This has happened to me a few times, very annoying.

ufo8mycat

Haven't had this much traversal fun since Just Cause 2. When you get the hang of it and pulling of grinds along the power lines, jumping off cars, air dashing and then wall running, all in one sequence - it feels awesome!

They nailed the controls for traversal thats for sure - very responsive and lots of fun.

The gunplay is also very fun and the game encourages you to grind while shooting which I like. Love blasting those ODS while grinding and switching to different weapons.

I would probably give this game a 8/10 - as great and fun as the traversal and gunplay was, I really did not have much desire to do many side-missions (but maybe its because of Unity coming out, I wanted to finish it in time) and I felt the world was a bit empty. I really want to give this game a 9/10 simply due to how fun the gunplay and traversal is, but cause of the world being a bit empty, it felt like something was missing.

The game has nailed the traversal and gunplay though - awesome fun. If they can just expand and improve upon the world itself (Sunset Overdrive 2 hopefully comes out), would be awesome.

Has anyone else experienced the glitch where the controller is disconnected message won't go away after the console goes to sleep? It happens every time I wake my console up and the only way to get rid of it is to restart the game completely.

Turning the controller off then on again fixes this for me, no need to reboot

Ursiform

Banned

Yeah that happened to me once and I've barely had time to play the game so...

EDIT: I take it the community challenge is broken right now?

Just want to say that, like evryone else, I absolutely love this game. I finished the main quest yesterday and loved every minute of it. I just about lost it when
they name-dropped NeoGAF
, lol. Freaking awesome. Great ending too.

psychotron

Had a glitch today where enemies stopped attacking me. It lasted 3 missions before I realized that I wasn't as amazing as I thought lol. They would run out as if to attack but would not harm me. This included Hurkers, Scabs and regular OD. I rebooted and all was well.

Monocle

This game was the last push I needed to put an XB1 on my shopping list. Might grab this as soon as Black Friday if I find a good bundle.

Spacebar

I just finished beating this game today. I had a total blast playing it and can't wait for SO2. I was a bit hesitant on keeping the code when I picked up the bundle, but glad I did. Here are the some pros and cons I took away after playing.

Pros
  • Feels awesome when the controls start to click
  • Characters were likable and funny
  • Graphics are vibrant and beautiful
  • I found myself switching up my character design a lot just to see how crazy I could make them. Glad they give you the option to change sex and body types throughout the game.
  • Chaos mode is a lot of fun
  • Boss fights were fun and designed well
  • Loved the references

Cons
  • Some weapons feel similar and you usually end up sticking with a select few
  • No real fear of dying
  • Feels like some Amps don't do much so I ended up just sticking with most of the ones I got in the beginning. Again, the no fear of death didn't really challenge me to look at other amps for help.
  • Too many collectibles for my taste. No way I'm going around the city getting all those ballons, shoes, toilet paper etc. Some people may enjoy this, but not my thing.

Overall a great game on Xbox One and I would totally recommend it to anyone. I spent about 20 hours or so with the game and I'll probably go back to it at some point and do some side missions I skipped along with some chaos mode.

Fuchsdh

I just finished beating this game today. I had a total blast playing it and can't wait for SO2. I was a bit hesitant on keeping the code when I picked up the bundle, but glad I did. Here are the some pros and cons I took away after playing.

Pros
  • Feels awesome when the controls start to click
  • Characters were likable and funny
  • Graphics are vibrant and beautiful
  • I found myself switching up my character design a lot just to see how crazy I could make them. Glad they give you the option to change sex and body types throughout the game.
  • Chaos mode is a lot of fun
  • Boss fights were fun and designed well
  • Loved the references

Cons
  • Some weapons feel similar and you usually end up sticking with a select few
  • No real fear of dying
  • Feels like some Amps don't do much so I ended up just sticking with most of the ones I got in the beginning. Again, the no fear of death didn't really challenge me to look at other amps for help.
    [*]Too many collectibles for my taste. No way I'm going around the city getting all those ballons, shoes, toilet paper etc. Some people may enjoy this, but not my thing.

Overall a great game on Xbox One and I would totally recommend it to anyone. I spent about 20 hours or so with the game and I'll probably go back to it at some point and do some side missions I skipped along with some chaos mode.

I can see why that bothers you, but I'm enjoying them. I generally hate the collectible grind, but the fact that you can buy maps alleviates me of feeling like it's a pain. That said, the few amps I want are incredibly expensive, so I really haven't used anything with what I've purchased (I'm just to the new base by the diner in campaign.)

eshwaaz

I can see why that bothers you, but I'm enjoying them. I generally hate the collectible grind, but the fact that you can buy maps alleviates me of feeling like it's a pain. That said, the few amps I want are incredibly expensive, so I really haven't used anything with what I've purchased (I'm just to the new base by the diner in campaign.)
The amount of collectibles wouldn't bother me if the maps weren't so expensive. They also use the same currency as the weapons, which makes them an even more questionable purchase.

Is anyone else experiencing crashes to the Xbox dashboard when trying to launch a challenge from the leaderboards? Shit happens just about every time I try to do so.

Montresor

Well I finally finished the main story, and I grabbed every collectible and finished every single side quest. I clocked in at just over 20 hours. This is basically one of the best games I have ever played. It's like the kind of game I would make if I was a designer. The visuals were beautiful, bright, and colourful. The story didn't take itself seriously, had hilarious characters, and a lot of great humour in the dialogue - there were loads of pleasant references to all sorts of pop culture items, like Dark Souls, Assassin`s Creed, Breaking Bad, Lord of the Rings, Doge, George Bush Senior's "Aggression against the Kuwaitis" speech, etc... Best of all, the game play was absolutely top notch - the traversal in this game is bulletproof and unimpeachable. It was an incredible experience being able to wildly bounce and grind across vast distances. This was Saints Row with no cars and a super-super-super-super-human main protagonist. I loved it!

I'm reading through what I have left to do and it seems like there will still be quite a bit of a grind to get the full 1000.

I recorded my favourite moments (with the clip titles spoiler tagged):

*First clip:
Floyd saying "But seriously those mofos will tear you up, be careful"
*Second clip:
4Kim being banished from the troop
*Third clip:
4Kim wondering how characters can speak to each other without cellular phones
*Fourth clip:
Ignatius's "death" scene
*Fifth clip:
Wendy failing to coerce the main character
*Sixth clip:
Bad ending, with main character afraid that Neogaf will tear the ending apart
*Seventh clip:
Good ending

Also, I didn't record this, but one time during a challenge, my main character said, "Xbox, get ready to record that!" :lol This game is the absolute best. Great job Insomniac!

SlickVic

Anyone know if the clothing items you can get randomly at the end of Chaos Squad are exclusive to that mode or are they also unlockable in single player?

This game relies too heavily on "Head to this point, search this area for the objective" mission design.

I should have been doing side missions as I went instead of all at once because they're almost entirely the same and incredibly repetitive.

I still really like the game, but they didn't put much effort into breaking up the usual open-world monotony.

dankir

Had a glitch today where enemies stopped attacking me. It lasted 3 missions before I realized that I wasn't as amazing as I thought lol. They would run out as if to attack but would not harm me. This included Hurkers, Scabs and regular OD. I rebooted and all was well.

Yeah happened to me too.

Turning the controller off then on again fixes this for me, no need to reboot

Yes, it happened to me once, and that fixed it.

This game relies too heavily on "Head to this point, search this area for the objective" mission design.

I should have been doing side missions as I went instead of all at once because they're almost entirely the same and incredibly repetitive.

I still really like the game, but they didn't put much effort into breaking up the usual open-world monotony.

I think there's plenty of variety in side missions, and the Hardcore quest especially put a smile on my face. I really expected a repetitive grind after hearing some complaints, but didn't experience it myself. I also expected obnoxiously juvenile and exceedingly self-referential humor, but everything was tastefully done.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I just spent the last 4 hours repeatedly clearing The Old Factory Chaos Squad trying to get the 150 chaos achievement. Not once did the available missions ever offer enough to hit 150. Highest I got was 141. Am I just ridiculously unlucky or is this normal? I'm getting really frustrated. These are the last achievements I need.

Hindle

Banned
I'd like Insomniac to bring 2d style gameplay for any sequels to SO. Captain Quarks missions in Ratchet were awesome, especially in Up Your Arsenal.

Fuchsdh

The amount of collectibles wouldn't bother me if the maps weren't so expensive. They also use the same currency as the weapons, which makes them an even more questionable purchase.

True, but I haven't found the need to buy a whole bunch of weapons, honestly. The only one I believe I've purchased instead of having it given to me is the acid sprinkler for vat defense and the like, and The Dude (which IMO is the worst weapon I've used in the game.) Upgraded weapons are more relevant.

iso135

I don't necessarily agree with your initial point, but I do agree with this one. Using weapon currency for the maps stinks. Now I have to grind to buy the rest of the guns. Not a huge deal for me though.

Quick question. I just finished defeating
the roller coaster boss
how much longer do I have? Thanks. Really thought I would finish this before mcc came out, but the game is too addicting to just stick to the main campaign.

iso135

Completed the story missions, side quests, collectables, and have played a little bit of chaos squad giving me ~29-30 hours of play. I will likely play chaos squad and single player a little more to go after most achievements.

What a fun game.... I have been addicted since my first night playing it.

BraXzy

Damnit Korosenai. I keep getting 0.03 seconds below you, this is infuriating haha!

MVT8s2W.jpg

Edit: And I just got the exact same score on Traversal challenge 3 haha.

flkraven

Beat the game on Friday. Unbelievable. Spoiler:

When I was chasing the building around and it was sreaming something like "There's no more twists! This is the last mission, so are you sure you want to end it", I was actually sad. The building was right, I didn't want it to end :(

Kickz

Between this game and Forza Horizon 2, Microsoft has Sony in a headlock. And I say this as a Sony guy. Really enjoying the Infamous meets Tony Hawk vibe of this game.

MrBigBoy

Quick question. I just finished defeating
the roller coaster boss
how much longer do I have? Thanks. Really thought I would finish this before mcc came out, but the game is too addicting to just stick to the main campaign.
You're almost at the end. Do some side quests if you don't want it to end yet ;)

I really hope there will be story-dlc for SO, this is a perfect game.

dankir

What will the season pass provide, new amps and chaos missions I'm assuming?

Also when I beat chaos mode missions had a question about the prizes you get. So the screen where it shows your point totals / rewards I'll get weapons with a plus logo.

So are they just unlocking weapons as a gift ( even though I them all ) or is another version with two amp slots?

Thanks

What will the season pass provide, new amps and chaos missions I'm assuming?

Also when I beat chaos mode missions had a question about the prizes you get. So the screen where it shows your point totals / rewards I'll get weapons with a plus logo.

So are they just unlocking weapons as a gift ( even though I them all ) or is another version with two amp slots?

Thanks

New amps, chaos missions, clothing items, areas, and story missions. Also bosses.

Ecto311

Ha just finished it. One of my fav games this year. Now since i know I won't play it anymore for a bit (till it goes on sale in the future) where is the best place to trade this in? Target isn't even showing it on their site.

Bessy67

So many of the little details in this game are hilarious. I was just exploring around the brewery base and found a board that lists the different beers they brew. Some of my favorites:

Your Friend's Mom Lager - Gets better with age
Sunlight Brothel IPA - A sharp dark with a healthy layer of yeast
German Sounding Beer Weiss - You'll be like, YUMLAUT!

SlickVic

I end up finishing close to the bottom every time I play chaos squad. Not sure how much of it is me just being generally awful at multiplayer games and how much is not having better weapons and amps (just have whatever's standard
at the first time meeting 4kim
). Not sure if I should hold off playing it until I beat the game and have better stuff at that point.

I end up finishing close to the bottom every time I play chaos squad. Not sure how much of it is me just being generally awful at multiplayer games and how much is not having better weapons and amps (just have whatever's standard
). Not sure if I should hold off playing it until I beat the game and have better stuff at that point.

It's all about using a combo of the chopper gun, acid sprinkler, and tnteddy/hairspray gun... The higher your style the more points you'll get.

Bessy67

Yeah, it can be hard to beat people who have hairspray guns but it can be done. You just have to make sure you have overdrives that fit your play style. For instance I've used ammo capacity - automatic, sacrifice - automatic, sacrifice - weapons, high style - automatic weapons, quick style - level 2 and quick style - level 3 with a loadout consisting of the roman candle, high fidelity, ak-fu, shocker, murderang and charge rifle and gotten pretty great results.

Top Bottom