• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

teraMEL0S

Wanted to pop in and reiterate my thoughts: This game is awesome and I love it. Can't wait for the season pass content to hit. I've played for like 30 some odd hours or so, and still have plenty of challenges to gold and chaos squad missions to complete.
Also, I love my white vcr xbone!

I still use fast travel, but the amount of use it gets is vastly lower than any open world game I've played before, so I think that's a big point in the game's favor.

As for sequels… when I've got a game that I like, I'm always wary of jinxing it by wanting a sequel :)

Don't get me wrong, I've used fast travel once to get across the map but the rest of the time has been just awesome, smooth grinds.

Montresor

Anyone know how to get this Fizzie?

This makes me wish that there was a way to reset collectibles, so I could load the game up with my late game beach-babe-with-blonde-dreadlocks and help you find out how to get that Fizzie. I already grabbed all the Fizzies but there`s absolutely no way for me to help you. I think I grabbed almost 1000 collectibles total, lol, so everything is a blur.

Edit: I saw that you eventually got it, nevermind. :)

Could not have said it better. Especially with all the bullshit going on this week with the MCC and AC Unity. Sunset Overdrive is like the one shining star of hope in this industry that is heading straight down the shitter

Forza Horizon 2 is another. As much as I'm enjoying SO, and it's one of the best games I've played in years, FH2 is every bit as good. Seriously, even if you're not into racing games normally, chances are you'll enjoy it, it's finger-lickingly good. At least give the excellent demo a try

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die is also up there, brought down a bit only by the fact that its story is unfinished at this point, but it's near perfect for the asking price.

Experiencing these three in a row has been an incredible rush.

Did my first weapon challenge last night.

Goddamn, that was insane towards the end. Shame you don't unlock the weapon after getting gold though, had to buy the dragon gun with precious overcharge...

Not cool.

Footos22

Overcharge isnt that precious, by the end of the game and challenges you'll have enough for all the maps and all the weapons.
only gun i havent got is the charge beam but form playing the challenge with that gun, im not gonna bother.

even the decoy gun is more useful than that

In fact i often get 5000 just for doing a chaos squad.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Phew. Just finished leveling all 23 of my weapons to level 5. My "Unlocking" achievement finally popped while I was grinding too. Now all I need to do is beat the high score on Buck's Revenge and I'll have 1000g.

Footos22

Phew. Just finished leveling all 23 of my weapons to level 5. My "Unlocking" achievement finally popped while I was grinding too. Now all I need to do is beat the high score on Buck's Revenge and I'll have 1000g.

I got the upgrade 20 weapons achievement last night too.

except i only have 20 weapons and one of them is at level 3.

But ill take that, the decoy gun takes a while to level.

Krilekk

Banned
This game. Came back today after a week hiatus to do the weekly challenge and ended up playing for three hours straight. They just nailed it, air control is perfect, killing things is incredibly rewarding and satisfying, the missions are crazy in a good way (just saved the ultimate survivor LOL and killed the thing afterwards) and it's just so very very good. The weapons. I bought the Roman gun, so awesome.

BTW what exactly do you get for leveling weapons? I got my first level 5 but I don't know if something changed.

Fuchsdh

This game. Came back today after a week hiatus to do the weekly challenge and ended up playing for three hours straight. They just nailed it, air control is perfect, killing things is incredibly rewarding and satisfying, the missions are crazy in a good way (just saved the ultimate survivor LOL and killed the thing afterwards) and it's just so very very good. The weapons. I bought the Roman gun, so awesome.

BTW what exactly do you get for leveling weapons? I got my first level 5 but I don't know if something changed.

You boost damage and ammo counts by leveling weapons. Dunno if there's any other effect for maxing them.

Bessy67

Overcharge isnt that precious, by the end of the game and challenges you'll have enough for all the maps and all the weapons.
only gun i havent got is the charge beam but form playing the challenge with that gun, im not gonna bother.

Don't write off the charge beam. At level 5 and with the right overdrives equipped (it counts as an automatic for some reason) it's pretty beastly. It melts Fizzco and big enemies.

[/b]]Overcharge isnt that precious, by the end of the game and challenges you'll have enough for all the maps and all the weapons.

I've done every challenge and every mission and I'm about 80000 short of all the stuff I can buy... Do I get overcharge for redoing challenges?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Any tips for getting the chaos percentage achievements?

Always pick the mission with the highest Chaos.

For Old Factory you just have to get really lucky and have over 150 Chaos. The battle's easy so once you get it you're gold. Took me about a dozen tries.

Little Tokyo is easy. You'll get the needed 325 at least half of the time and the battle's easy.

Harbor isn't too bad. As long as you don't fail any missions you should have enough Chaos. The battle isn't too bad, but I have failed it before. Shouldn't be too hard to pass.

Downtown is pretty difficult. You'll have enough Chaos for sure if you don't fail anything. You'll likely even have too much, making the battle harder. It's not too bad though. Best advice I can give is that you don't actually have to kill the Wingers. They have overwhelming numbers and have tons of HP, but after you clear all the other enemies they automatically die and you'll win. Just something I noticed yesterday. So concentrate on the other enemies.

Footos22

People don't like the the charge beam? What! I'm only level 3 on it and it's already melting Fizzco with ease.

FizzCo is pretty much a non threat post game. So didn't see the point in buying it. Almost have enough just from chaos squad rewards though. Way too much overcharge for something that is not very good in chaos squad.

Nodnol

Just finished up the main story plus all side quests. What a ride!

Maybe it's because it's constantly waved in front of your face, but it was the first time in a while I felt like I was playing a proper video-game. No corridors, no forced button press cutscenes or overly serious undertones (so nothing to trip up on). It was just fun and very refreshing.

Hats off to Insomniac.

Obscured

Just finished the Excalamune mission. It'd be great to be able to grab some of those one off weapons, and play with them more, like Boo-Boo. Been nice to be able to jump back over to this when MCC has been having fits. Still need to try Chaos Squad, but I want to get more of my weapons leveled up.

Edit:
Just finished up the main story plus all side quests. What a ride!

Maybe it's because it's constantly waved in front of your face, but it was the first time in a while I felt like I was playing a proper video-game. No corridors, no forced button press cutscenes or overly serious undertones (so nothing to trip up on). It was just fun and very refreshing.

Hats off to Insomniac.

You know, if there could have been a good parody of QTE, it could have been done in this game. I kind of want to see what they would do with that.

Bonus Edit: The Hardcore side quest was awesome, I love the little descriptions of what you are doing as it happens.

EBE

Any word on when the first dlc hits? Thinking about picking up the season pass.

Seriously hope this game gets a sequel.

Kalm

People don't like the the charge beam? What! I'm only level 3 on it and it's already melting Fizzco with ease.

Rubbish in Chaos Squad.

When you're basically racing to get kills/points, the lack of auto-aim and charging downtime will put you wayyyyyy behind everyone else.

I really, really liked it during the campaign though.

Montresor

I got the upgrade 20 weapons achievement last night too.

except i only have 20 weapons and one of them is at level 3.

But ill take that, the decoy gun takes a while to level.

What is the best place to grind the weapon achievements?

Mr White

What is the best place to grind the weapon achievements?
I did this in
"Getting the Band Back Together"
mission.
Just bounce on drums and kill everything
If I loved Jet Set Radio, how much would I love this? Told myself I'd never get an X1, but this actually looks pretty good.
Well, actually, you can even put graffiti on some billboards.
Game is awesome. Can't wait for DLC. But I will prefer another crazy creative game from Insomniac over a sequel

If I loved Jet Set Radio, how much would I love this? Told myself I'd never get an X1, but this actually looks pretty good.

I'm a huge JSR/F fanboy and Sunset Overdrive feels so good. The soundtrack is not as good (still awesome, though), but the traversal is insane and the art style is badass. Picked up an Xbox just to play this and I don't regret it at all.

Also, why do I suck so bad at The Dude challenge? I've gotten gold on every challenge so far but this one is just kicking my ass. Any tips? I can't get past bronze.

Rurunaki

So.. did my game bugged out or am I not suppose to be able to buy all the amps from Lloyd? (I've collected all the materials and just finished upgrading the downtown vat but couldnt buy any amp from there, had to warp to the ship base to buy amps)

zerotol

Banned
Finished it today at a little over 24 hours total with all story and side missions done. Got all TP, shoes and phones I think, just have to mop up achievements and get the other collectables. It's probably the most fun game I've played in ages and as other people have already said, traversal is beyond great. I'd easily consider it GOTY.

Dabanton

I'm a massive JSR AND JSRF fan and I'd say this is the closest you get again to the magnificence of that game the general movement is better than JSR imo everything feels slick. The weapons are fun. The city is massive and varied .

For me Sunset Overdrive is in a alternate universe where the DC didn't fail, a Sega blue sky game.

JLck

Mine is set to be delivered today/tomorrow.

Anyone got any starter tips for me? Control scheme change, weapons to use, upgrades to concentrate on, story or side missions? etc etc.

I'm a massive JSR AND JSRF fan and I'd say this is the closest you get again to the magnificence of that game the general movement is better than JSR imo everything feels slick. The weapons are fun. The city is massive and varied .

For me Sunset Overdrive is in a alternate universe where the DC didn't fail, a Sega blue sky game.

Some people import games from Japan; Insomniac sent for one from an alternate universe.

Still had Amazon Prime.

ekim

Anyone got any starter tips for me? Control scheme change, weapons to use, upgrades to concentrate on, story or side missions? etc etc.

Just have fun. The good thing is that you are progressing with every weapon/amp combination. Just do whatever you want.

danowat

Banned

Just that it takes a while for it to click so stick with it, I was playing side missions as they popped up, as they (at least to me) were relevant to that stage in the story.

Fuchsdh

I'm a huge JSR/F fanboy and Sunset Overdrive feels so good. The soundtrack is not as good (still awesome, though), but the traversal is insane and the art style is badass. Picked up an Xbox just to play this and I don't regret it at all.

Also, why do I suck so bad at The Dude challenge? I've gotten gold on every challenge so far but this one is just kicking my ass. Any tips? I can't get past bronze.

I think you'll do worse if you try to go back and forth and get every wave. Some are larger and are higher priority, and sometimes it's better to get set up to wipe out the next three coming from one road than deal with the one wave on the other side. As long as you're getting combos and you've got style, taking a hit to time really isn't a big deal.

Looking for negatives in this game, the only major one I see is that weapon feedback is largely nonexistent. There's the stats page for weapons which tells you what that weapon is effective against... but for the most part weapons don't reflect that visually. Admittedly it's hard when lots of your weapons are giant explosions of fireworks and color, but it just makes combat in some places feel like "what the hell should I use now", especially when new enemies pop out of nowhere and you don't want to pause everything to go look at stats.

This game is just plain out fun, I pop it in and ending up losing hours just messing around! The most fun I have had with a game this year so far.

If anyone cares, i came across a track listing of the various punk songs that play in the game.
The Melvins
Rat Faced Granny

The Death Set
Too Much Fun For Regrets

Carbonas
Journey To The End

Cy Dune
Yellin

Glockenwise
Explosive Generation

FIDLAR
White On White

The Blind Shake
I'm Not An Animal

Cerebral Ballzy
Better In Letter

Zig Zags
The Fog

Cheap Time
Total Annihilation
Glitter and Gold
More Action
The Real World's A Terrible Place
I don't know What To Think
OD
Horror Night
Where Do We Go From Here?
Game Over

The Suckers
Suck It Up
Vinyl Bomb
Gimme Gimme
Face Plant
Road Rash

Bass Drum of Death
I Wanna Be Forgotten
Between The Lines
Smell The Night
I'm On The Run
Meat Market
Unknown Town
I Don't Want Your Company
Folding Socks
Violence
No One Else
Beyond The Wall
BOATS!
This Is The End
Alright OK
I've Got Gunz
Different Answer
Dan Sartain
We're Gonna Have A Party
OD Life
Brenna Red
Lost Sleep Dead Souls
Smell Of Death
Feel The Hate
The Bronx
Stay Alive (Focus)
Overcharge
Sunset City
Where Did The Drugs Go?
Sticky Nix
Another Day
So Life's Come Down To This
BNZA
Make Your Head Pop (Featuring Nat Ya)
K Theory
Give Me More
Liam Shy
Sunset Electro
Argon Volt
Cesium
Arkaen
Under Control
Las Catrinas Cinematic
Las Catrinas Intro

If anyone cares, i came across a track listing of the various punk songs that play in the game.
The Melvins
Rat Faced Granny

The Death Set
Too Much Fun For Regrets

Carbonas
Journey To The End

Cy Dune
Yellin

Glockenwise
Explosive Generation

FIDLAR
White On White

The Blind Shake
I'm Not An Animal

Cerebral Ballzy
Better In Letter

Zig Zags
The Fog

Cheap Time
Total Annihilation
Glitter and Gold
More Action
OD
Horror Night
Game Over

The Suckers
Suck It Up
Vinyl Bomb
Gimme Gimme
Face Plant
Road Rash

Bass Drum of Death
I Wanna Be Forgotten
Between The Lines
Smell The Night
I'm On The Run
Meat Market
Unknown Town
Folding Socks
Violence
No One Else
Beyond The Wall
BOATS!
This Is The End
Alright OK
I've Got Gunz
Different Answer
Dan Sartain
We're Gonna Have A Party
OD Life
Brenna Red
Lost Sleep Dead Souls
Smell Of Death
Feel The Hate
The Bronx
Stay Alive (Focus)
Overcharge
Sunset City
Where Did The Drugs Go?
Sticky Nix
Another Day
BNZA
K Theory
Give Me More
Liam Shy
Sunset Electro
Argon Volt
Cesium
Arkaen
Under Control
Las Catrinas Cinematic
Las Catrinas Intro

I need a specific confirmation of what song plays first over the end credit posters. I've asked the devs, I've asked in this thread a bunch, no one has stepped up to the plate and given me an answer.

I'm devastated in wait. It's the best song I've ever heard.

Dead

well not really...yet
The Melvins
Rat Faced Granny

The Death Set
Too Much Fun For Regrets

Carbonas
Journey To The End

Cy Dune
Yellin

Glockenwise
Explosive Generation

FIDLAR
White On White

The Blind Shake
I'm Not An Animal

Cerebral Ballzy
Better In Letter

Zig Zags
The Fog

Cheap Time
Total Annihilation
Glitter and Gold
More Action
OD
Horror Night
Game Over

The Suckers
Suck It Up
Vinyl Bomb
Gimme Gimme
Face Plant
Road Rash

Bass Drum of Death
I Wanna Be Forgotten
Between The Lines
Smell The Night
I'm On The Run
Meat Market
Unknown Town
Folding Socks
Violence
No One Else
Beyond The Wall
BOATS!
This Is The End
Alright OK
I've Got Gunz
Different Answer
Dan Sartain
We're Gonna Have A Party
OD Life
Brenna Red
Lost Sleep Dead Souls
Smell Of Death
Feel The Hate
The Bronx
Stay Alive (Focus)
Overcharge
Sunset City
Where Did The Drugs Go?
Sticky Nix
Another Day
BNZA
K Theory
Give Me More
Liam Shy
Sunset Electro
Argon Volt
Cesium
Arkaen
Under Control
Las Catrinas Cinematic
Las Catrinas Intro
what

why am I only ever hearing the same 2 or 3 songs

Footos22

I did this in
"Getting the Band Back Together"
mission.
Just bounce on drums and kill everything

Well, actually, you can even put graffiti on some billboards.
Game is awesome. Can't wait for DLC. But I will prefer another crazy creative game from Insomniac over a sequel

yeah get the band back together just dont slam the drums and youll have 999 multiplier and easily get all guns you havent already upgraded within an hour tops.

Top Bottom