• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Footos22

I think you'll do worse if you try to go back and forth and get every wave. Some are larger and are higher priority, and sometimes it's better to get set up to wipe out the next three coming from one road than deal with the one wave on the other side. As long as you're getting combos and you've got style, taking a hit to time really isn't a big deal.

Looking for negatives in this game, the only major one I see is that weapon feedback is largely nonexistent. There's the stats page for weapons which tells you what that weapon is effective against... but for the most part weapons don't reflect that visually. Admittedly it's hard when lots of your weapons are giant explosions of fireworks and color, but it just makes combat in some places feel like "what the hell should I use now", especially when new enemies pop out of nowhere and you don't want to pause everything to go look at stats.

This is especially true in chaos squad. everything that isn't a normal OD takes an age to kill and feels like your shooting them with spitballs. even if using the best weapon for that enemy.

chaos squad matchmaking is pretty bad. sometimes i get in instantly but last few nights its been searching for a game for about 5 mins before i even get in. and its not even the area i have chosen so i have to quit out,
Almost about to give up on the downtown achievement unless i can get some help here.

Fuchsdh

This is especially true in chaos squad. everything that isn't a normal OD takes an age to kill and feels like your shooting them with spitballs. even if using the best weapon for that enemy.

chaos squad matchmaking is pretty bad. sometimes i get in instantly but last few nights its been searching for a game for about 5 mins before i even get in. and its not even the area i have chosen so i have to quit out,
Almost about to give up on the downtown achievement unless i can get some help here.

Yeah I'm trying to get myself up to a decent level so I can blow through the Chaos achievements before the population dies off, these sorts of games seem to have fairly short online lives.

If it gets too bad I would suggest using something like TrueAchievements to make a lobby.

Kickz

Noooooooo, I am on the last mission.......I don't want it to end, it only just feels like I am getting into the groove.

Thankfully I am only at the beginning, this is what I get for a lack of gaming time. :(

Man do I love this game, feels like Tony Hawk reincarnated in an FPS world.

sith ewok

Usually, I don't pay a lot of attention to the sales threads each month, but I have to say that I'm really disappointed that this game didn't chart for October. I hope the good reviews and word of mouth give it good legs - the game deserves to sell really well, in my opinion.

rokkerkory

It's here!!!

I had to track down the USPS delivery person to get it today! YESS!!!

1458471_10152801494363758_1372852947458875366_n.jpg

Bessy67

Usually, I don't pay a lot of attention to the sales threads each month, but I have to say that I'm really disappointed that this game didn't chart for October. I hope the good reviews and word of mouth give it good legs - the game deserves to sell really well, in my opinion.
To be fair it was only out for 4 days in October, and sales of the white XB1 bundle don't count in NPD. Anecdotally it's one of the most played games by my XBL friends (41/120 have played it) so it's probably doing OK.

How is the single player? Is it long? Can you mess around kill enemies without doing missions like Infamous? I'm not playing multi, only single.

Grisby

How is the single player? Is it long? Can you mess around kill enemies without doing missions like Infamous? I'm not playing multi, only single.
Yep. I think if you ran through it straight it'd probably be about 10 or so hours. If you got sidetracked like I did with the side missions, challenges, and collectables then you could be in it for a long time.

Spookie

So I just saw the NeoGAF reference. I totally wasn't expecting it and the joke was on par, it got a genuine belly laugh out of me. Kudos guys for the great game!

derFeef

I think I only have 1 side mission open, did not do any challanges yet and no MP - and somehow have no desire to (I always suck at those challanges...).

Bring on some story dlc!

Elixist

beat the game and did a bit of side stuff probably have about the half the collectibles. great game its just so fun to move around, i would like some physics/ gravity for the grinding in a sequel, would give the traversal a bit more challenge so when you got good at it it feels like an achievement. the graphics are fun and colorful, love the whole city, except the freeways up in the air are a little boring to me , just long stretches of gray that feel repetive compared to the rest of the world that has so much detail and geometry. the enemies are great, bosses are mostly excellent. after a couple hours the cutscenes/writing fell flat for me, quite a bit of cringey boring characters. and the music and alot of the audio design in general is blah for me. sound fx for guns and hit reactions, bouncing, grinding are fantastic tho.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
So I just saw the NeoGAF reference. I totally wasn't expecting it and the joke was on par, it got a genuine belly laugh out of me. Kudos guys for the great game!
I wish i didn't know about it before it happened, would have made it more special.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Thanks for the replies. Geez 25 hours. 10 was all I needed

It's about 10 if you only do the main quest, but the side quests add a lot and are definitely worth doing. Some of the side quests are as good as the main quests.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
man i was thinkin i'd really dig some hip hop dlc, where the city bounces to the beat and neon bounce pads and shit, hoodrats instead of scabs etc.

I really love the music and tone of the game, but wouldn't mind different music/themes for DLC. Hip hop and 80s synth music would be absolutely perfect.

BusterJol

Beat the campaign finally after beating downtown on chaos squad at 1700% chaos. Feel super accomplished. Loved the game. Glad I bought the season pass. Need more!

Well in the meantime gotta fish for Max chaos on Downtown!

SlickVic

Love how whenever I get a disconnect from a server that kicks me out of Chaos Squad, it's always during the final Night Defense mission. Granted it's only happened twice, but I finally got on a good team on randoms with people much better at the game than me and seemed we may have had a shot at beating Downtown with about 1800% or so Chaos, but nope, disconnect.

Not quite sure what the issue is since I don't think my Internet craps out as I'm still connected to Live and such.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I just found out the Captain Ahab is the best weapon ever. Fire a few at mutants, followup with the Acid Sprinklers (amped with Freeze), and watch your Stylemeter skyrocket.

Marvel

could never
Got my sunset bundle yesterday too, I can't wait to play today. Was killing me waiting for it to finish downloading last night.

danowat

Banned
Thanks for the replies. Geez 25 hours. 10 was all I needed

19 hours for me, that was all the main story missions and all the side missions.

Am now mopping up all the collectables, which I reckon are going to be a good 5 hours, then the challenges, then Chaos mode.

I reckon to 100% it you would be looking at upwards of 30 hours, which is decent, but it's not enough!!!, I want MORE!

Ape

Banned
Finished it. 23 hours. Couldn't bring myself to do the final leg so I put the game down for a while. Why did it have to end?

Now on to collectibles, one of those games that you just want more of.

It's here!!!

I had to track down the USPS delivery person to get it today! YESS!!!

1458471_10152801494363758_1372852947458875366_n.jpg

I got the same stuff as you minus the year of Gold. Both games are a blast, but play Sunset Overdrive first no matter what. Halo is having... issues. By the time you're done with SO, hopefully Halo's multiplayer will be in a more playable state. Maybe they'll even fix the framerate issues!

But seriously, SO is my GOTY.

ZeMMiK

Still loving every bit of this game, and getting better and better moving around ....
a big change it is game of the year for me.

piggychan

Love how whenever I get a disconnect from a server that kicks me out of Chaos Squad, it's always during the final Night Defense mission. Granted it's only happened twice, but I finally got on a good team on randoms with people much better at the game than me and seemed we may have had a shot at beating Downtown with about 1800% or so Chaos, but nope, disconnect.

Not quite sure what the issue is since I don't think my Internet craps out as I'm still connected to Live and such.

Yesterday online seemed to be kinda glitchy the whole day. Also Harbor District has an amazing array of missions

Top Bottom